What's new

The Health and Fitness Thread

Any diet info on how to gain 10 KG in a round about fast amount of time?
Food that may increase weight, I need to increase my weight.

Milk + weight gain powder (check your kidney health first though).

If your cholesterol (LDL/HDL ratio etc) is good (i.e good heart), Peanut butter rich diet is great option.

Outside of that, Eggs + as much quality lean meat you can handle, dont forget the whole grains + veggies + fruits to get maximum nutrient combos to help increase effective bio-availability of the proteins you eat. Overall you have to increase your calorie intake to bulk whatever body type you are.

Also diet only will not get the weight gain you seek (you will get too much fat and not muscle, unless you want to increase fat big time just for weight period), you need to combine with strength training to get best results...you will also gain lot faster too than going pure diet gain route. Testosterone and glycogen sapping workout and muscle fiber mitochondria really have zero substitutes in diet side....there are no catalysts like them from diet route at all.

Those with miracle weight gain diets (for muscle mass) and those saying just gain period (fat is ok short term and can be converted to muscle etc later) are all BS-agents....muscle and fat are two very different processes in creation/retention.

Also dont worry too much about the time it takes to bulk...every body is different. But if you stick to a good regimen and be patient dedicated AND put in the work necessary....you WILL see results, period.

Also diet only will not get the weight gain you seek (you will get too much fat and not muscle, unless you want to increase fat big time just for weight period), you need to combine with strength training to get best results...you will also gain lot faster too than going pure diet gain route. Testosterone and glycogen sapping workout and muscle fiber mitochondria really have zero substitutes in diet side....there are no catalysts like them from diet route at all.

Those with miracle weight gain diets (for muscle mass) and those saying just gain period (fat is ok short term and can be converted to muscle etc later) are all BS-agents....muscle and fat are two very different processes in creation/retention.

Also dont worry too much about the time it takes to bulk...every body is different. But if you stick to a good regimen and be patient dedicated AND put in the work necessary....you WILL see results, period.

Thank you very much! It's just that i'm about 10 KG underweight and I would like to gain that weight to be in the "Normal" cat, according to the NHS. I will be hitting the gym aswell, so that should also help with the definition and weight gain!

The taste is not horid it will be new taste and will take few weeks to adjust to. Obviously if you use far too much powder and not enough water you will barf. Nausea don't know about that I never had it just add more water that is the key!

@Path-Finder

How often should I take wheat powder?

Any diet info on how to gain 10 KG in a round about fast amount of time?
Food that may increase weight, I need to increase my weight.
u want to gain muscle or fats through the weight u want to increase?

thinking of joining gym but no idea where to start... this thread is for serious muscle builders... need some help for my modest goal(some weight loss and fat loss around middle).

thinking of joining gym but no idea where to start... this thread is for serious muscle builders... need some help for my modest goal(some weight loss and fat loss around middle).
You start at HOME.

First...It is your diet.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ketogenic-diet-101#section2

Reduce your carb intake. Whatever amount of rice, pasta, and bread you take, replace most of those portions with vegetables. No sodas, candies, cakes, pies, or any sweets from refined sugar. At best, ONCE a week. That means if you have one soda, you cannot have any other sweets until next week. Bottom line, your body do not need refined sugar. You can have orange juice or something like that, but absolutely no refined sugar.

Then...

https://www.usmilitary.com/29422/navy-seal-training-at-home/

I do not have a gym membership. I work out at home. My waist is 29 in or about 75 cm. My weight is 160 lbs or about 73 kg. When I joined the USAF back in 1983, my waist was 28 in. I am now 55 yrs old and I gained only one inch on my waist. I can bench press, squat, and deadlift my weight -- 160 lbs. Your body weight is all you need.

You start at HOME.

First...It is your diet.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ketogenic-diet-101#section2

Reduce your carb intake. Whatever amount of rice, pasta, and bread you take, replace most of those portions with vegetables. No sodas, candies, cakes, pies, or any sweets from refined sugar. At best, ONCE a week. That means if you have one soda, you cannot have any other sweets until next week. Bottom line, your body do not need refined sugar. You can have orange juice or something like that, but absolutely no refined sugar.

Then...

https://www.usmilitary.com/29422/navy-seal-training-at-home/

I do not have a gym membership. I work out at home. My waist is 29 in or about 75 cm. My weight is 160 lbs or about 73 kg. When I joined the USAF back in 1983, my waist was 28 in. I am now 55 yrs old and I gained only one inch on my waist. I can bench press, squat, and deadlift my weight -- 160 lbs. Your body weight is all you need.
i lack motivation mate... regular gym might bring some order in my chaotic life...
however I have paid gym membership earlier for a year before cancelling because I rarely went.. this is my second attempt

i was looking at keto diet... which is also a low carb diet... in summer I lost quite a bit of weight due to diet and light exercise, but my parents said I look old and undernourished(I however I felt great)...
what is you height if you dont mind me asking...?

You are right, most of the info on this thread is for bodybuilding purposes, and not for general health and fitness. Especially some of the info about the amount of protein intake required.

For fat loss, drastically increase your veggies intake, and lower your calorie intake - especially from sugar and simple carbs. Eat protein and fiber rich foods. Eat less food in general, for which you compensate by eating a lot of vegetables to fill your stomach.

And do some cardio everyday - 30 minutes would be great, but any amount is good. And make sure you don't sit or lie on a bed for more than 30 minutes at a time. Every 30 minutes, walk around a bit. (That has several benefits beyond fat loss.)

You are right, most of the info on this thread is for bodybuilding purposes, and not for general health and fitness. Especially some of the info about the amount of protein intake required.

For fat loss, drastically increase your veggies intake, and lower your calorie intake - especially from sugar and simple carbs. Eat protein and fiber rich foods. Eat less food in general, for which you compensate by eating a lot of vegetables to fill your stomach.

And do some cardio everyday - 30 minutes would be great, but any amount is good. And make sure you don't sit or lie on a bed for more than 30 minutes at a time. Every 30 minutes, walk around a bit. (That has several benefits beyond fat loss.)
will doing cardio remove fat in the lower abdomen and back?.. coz I never seem to lose them.. when i diet and exercise it decreases a bit..thats all..
i dont usually use sugar except 1 cube for tea ... no cakes etc .. i dont have sweet tooth.
my lifestyle sucks however.. i dont move about enough.

i lack motivation mate... regular gym might bring some order in my chaotic life...
however I have paid gym membership earlier for a year before cancelling because I rarely went.. this is my second attempt

i was looking at keto diet... which is also a low carb diet... in summer I lost quite a bit of weight due to diet and light exercise, but my parents said I look old and undernourished(I however I felt great)...

I'd suggest not going after some particular kind of diet - most of those are fads. Stick to the basics - lower calorie intake, more physical activity. The former is more important.

And make sure that the weight you lose is fat, and not muscle mass - that will make you unhealthy and look malnourished. To maintain muscle mass while slimming, do some resistance training two or three days a week. Bodyweight pushups and squats should be more than sufficient.

In fact, that's "health and fitness" in a nutshell - good food, aerobic activity everyday, and some resistance based exercise. This thread, although titled "health and fitness", is mostly about bodybuilding, which is a specialized activity that some people undertake, not a prescription for most people who just want to be healthy.

will doing cardio remove fat in the lower abdomen and back?.. coz I never seem to lose them.. when i diet and exercise it decreases a bit..thats all..
i dont usually use sugar except 1 cube for tea ... no cakes etc .. i dont have sweet tooth.
my lifestyle sucks however.. i dont move about enough.

You can't choose where to lose fat from - that depends on your genetics. Some people start of gaining fat around the tummy and waist (true for most Indian people), but some people start storing fat in the thighs or butt, some in the face and arms and so on. When you do cardio, you burn fat from all over - but more so from some parts, depending on your genetics.

Usually, wherever you first gain fat, will be where you lose it last. And unfortunately, fat in the abdomial region is the worst, from a health POV.

Keep doing cardio, and you will lose fat from all over, but in your case, fat loss might be slower in the parts you mentioned - but eventually it will come off.

And by the way, you can "see" fat in the abdominal region - but there is a much more pernicious kind of fat stored deep in the abdomen that you can't see, called visceral fat. For all you know, your body might be burning visceral fat, although you can't see that fat loss from outside.

Bottom line is redue calorie intake, move more. Be active throughout the day, and exercise for 30 minutes. The "eat less calories" part is the most important.

I'd suggest not going after some particular kind of diet - most of those are fads. Stick to the basics - lower calorie intake, more physical activity. The former is more important.

And make sure that the weight you lose is fat, and not muscle mass - that will make you unhealthy and look malnourished. To maintain muscle mass while slimming, do some resistance training two or three days a week. Bodyweight pushups and squats should be more than sufficient.

In fact, that's "health and fitness" in a nutshell - good food, aerobic activity everyday, and some resistance based exercise. This thread, although titled "health and fitness", is mostly about bodybuilding, which is a specialized activity that some people undertake, not a prescription for most people who just want to be healthy.

You can't choose where to lose fat from - that depends on your genetics. Some people start of gaining fat around the tummy and waist (true for most Indian people), but some people start storing fat in the thighs or butt, some in the face and arms and so on. When you do cardio, you burn fat from all over - but more so from some parts, depending on your genetics.

Usually, wherever you first gain fat, will be where you lose it last. And unfortunately, fat in the abdomial region is the worst, from a health POV.

Keep doing cardio, and you will lose fat from all over, but in your case, fat loss might be slower in the parts you mentioned - but eventually it will come off.

And by the way, you can "see" fat in the abdominal region - but there is a much more pernicious kind of fat stored deep in the abdomen that you can't see, called visceral fat. For all you know, your body might be burning visceral fat, although you can't see that fat loss from outside.

Bottom line is redue calorie intake, move more. Be active throughout the day, and exercise for 30 minutes. The "eat less calories" part is the most important.
thank you.. really appreciate the reply.

I understand.

If you feel you need a certain environment -- like a gym -- to help your mindset, then do so. My point is that you do not need external assist if your PRIMARY goal is to lose weight. By 'external assist' I mean things like weights and the gym. When I was active duty, we often go TDY ( temporary duty ) and where we go do not always have a gym. So us air force guys took cues from the army/navy and use our own bodies.

For example...I can bench press my own body weight with external weights but with push-ups I do 20 repetitions.

For deadlifts and squats, I borrowed a toolbox from the maintenance guys.

The bottom line is that your own body can be enough to get you started.

My height ? That is 5 ft 6 inches or 1.6 meter.

Understand this...If you can bench press, deadlift, and squat your body weight at least 5 repetitions for each exercise, you are in the upper half of the general population regarding overall strength. So do not worry about your appearance.

I tell my brother-in-law who is larger and taller: I have the Spiderman physique and not the Superman one.

Spiderman is muscularly lean. Low body fat overall. Superman has muscular bulk.

So in using my body weight of 160 lbs or 72 kg...

I must bench press and deadlifts that amount at least 10 repetitions ( one set ).

The upper body is about %55 of total body weight, so I must squat 100 lbs or 50 kg for at least 10 repetitions.

If you work on your diet to reduce carb, use the body weight example as a guide. As long as you can do the three main compound lift exercises -- bench press, deadlift, and squat -- with your body weight, then lose the fat. You want about low %10-15 body fat ratio. As long as you can use your body weight in those three compound exercises, you will be fine.

Started easy today :D

CBjGfXW.jpg

But seriously its really relaxing to stretch out the joints.

@Kaptaan @waz @Nilgiri

Back
Top Bottom