What's new

The Great Game Changer: Belt and Road Intiative (BRI; OBOR)

If China can pull off with his project, world economic activity will shift from West and Europe to Asia. I wish all the best and i hope we can see it in our generation.

Yes I wish the same my friend.

Situation of global economic activities: In production domain, global center of gravity is in the East which accounts for more than rest-of-the-world combined in most categories, from civil engineering, heavy industries to electronics. The exactly opposite happens in consumption domain, which is centered in the West.

Long term risk: This highly polarized status quo is the source of global imbalance in payments, posing increasing severe financial challenges to existing world order.

Getting a way out: OBOR initiative (and in broader context, the Global South) aims at creating new consumption markets, new production bases, in the world between East and West.​

Last edited:
The difference is stark and clear:

View attachment 357927

This super mega project is so grand it's just simply incredible. It's all about connectivity, truly a remarkable feat once the whole thing is completed and all of this comes from the visionary leader Xi
On the other side of this exciting continents (Asia, Central Asia, part of the ME, NW Africa, Eurasia and Europe) there's a new POTUS who wants to replicate an ancient Chinese invention namely The Great Wall. Trump intends to make America great again by keeping Mexicans and other South Americans out. Now i'm not sure if that's gonna help but i guess we'll just have to wait and see for the results.

there's a new POTUS who wants to replicate an ancient Chinese invention namely The Great Wall

Trump "steals" this idea? We couldn't care less, let's go Latin America.

20161119_amd002_0-jpg.353688

https://defence.pk/threads/as-trump-talks-wall-china-builds-bridges-to-latin-america.461733/page-2

China’s “One Belt, One Road” (OBOR) initiative is at the

Of course, each of these factors could change in the future. For example, as Asian incomes rise, demand for European exports could increase. For the foreseeable future, however, each presents a significant challenge to the viability of new Asia-Europe overland routes.

The positive impact of new hard infrastructure will depend heavily on upgrading the region’s “soft” infrastructure. Imagine for a moment that every piece of Asian Highway 1 is completed. There would still be plenty of barriers to overcome: inefficient customs procedures, laws requiring goods to be unloaded and put on local trucks, and of course, corruption.
http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/12/chinas-obor-4-trillion-will-span-65.html
the Asian highway will run through Vietnam?

sound logical. we are seeking funds to finance north-south highway and highspeed railway. everybody is welcome to contribute with donations. otherwise we will charge our lovely foreigners when they use our infrastructures :-)

the Asian highway will run through Vietnam?

sound logical. we are seeking funds to finance north-south highway and highspeed railway. everybody is welcome to contribute with donations. otherwise we will charge our lovely foreigners when they use our infrastructures :-)

Inclusion of Vietnam into the OBOR framework would be a win-win.

:cheers:

Take a look at the map of Eurasia.

upload_2016-12-6_15-50-57.png

Turkey appears to be, by dialectical super forces, placed at a critical geographic location in providing a bridge between East Asia and Europe, especially the Mediterranean Europe.

Thus, it should be advantageous in the New Silk Road expansion. However, so far, China has established strong land connections with Europe via the Northern Eurasian Corridor, having direct access to Western Europe through Central Asia, Russia, and Eastern Europe.

Now China has over 40 rail lines toward Western Europe, consolidated into three major rail linkages.

The maritime linkage to Europe, however, is still the big question.

Turkey has little relevance in land connection but, in theory, it should have big advantage as far as the maritime connection to Western Europe is concerned.

But it happens not to be the case and, as I argue, it won't be the case for various geopolitical and historical reasons.

So what is the alternative New Silk Road route that by-passes Turkey?

Now, look again at the map above and find Georgia.

China has been building a deep sea port in Anaklia, west of Georgia, which is said to be twice as big in capacity than Turkish ports, and will include FTZs and other amenities.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshe...a-port-set-to-transform-georgia/#6b7f06a03f47

upload_2016-12-6_15-58-47.png

When complete, cargoes will be delivered by rail to the port and, from there, will be loaded onto vessels to be delivered to European destinations via the Black Sea.

How to by pass Turkey? By establishing a ferry and ro-ro ships between Anaklia in Georgia and Constanta in Romania. This is the northern by-pass route.

Another by-pass route is via Cyprus. China (COSCO) plans to operate a port there.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2016-01/29/content_23301148.htm

"Foreign Minister Wang Yi said during a visit to Nicosia last month that China is interested in operating Cypriot ports and wants to help turn the eastern Mediterranean island nation into a regional shipping hub."

I think what remains to Turkey is to urgently reconfigure its foreign policy priorities and make itself a peninsula of stability in the region, from which the region becomes stabilized. This is hard work and what has been destroyed in the region over the past five years cannot be rebuilt in less than 10 years.

But, the ultimate result may worth the effort.

Turkey is not in any strategic position. Most of Chinese goods are destinate to rich western countries and Russia which the Belarus, Poland route to Germany looks more promising.

The turkey route is too complicated and need approval from too many countries plus their purchasing power is not strong. It is very logic, turkey are dropped.

Turkey is not in any strategic position. Most of Chinese goods are destinate to rich western countries and Russia which the Belarus, Poland route to Germany looks more promising.

The turkey route is too complicated and need approval from too many countries plus their purchasing power is not strong. It is very logic, turkey are dropped.

Any link to Turkey has to go through various South Asian countries. I guess that still would be a potential route but Syrian War destroyed all the likelihood. Now, the northern route is the most viable.

The ongoing Georgia route is also important to link up with many Eastern European countries such as Bulgaria, Hungary, Serbia etc.

Any link to Turkey has to go through various South Asian countries. I guess that still would be a potential route but Syrian War destroyed all the likelihood. Now, the northern route is the most viable.

The ongoing Georgia route is also important to link up with many Eastern European countries such as Bulgaria, Hungary, Serbia etc.

nope, it would go through the same connection China would use to get to Georgia, currently Azerbaijan is building a port in the Caspian Sea, along with Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan, ferries and cargo ships will move the cargo across the Caspian. Azerbaijan, Turkey and Georgia are also building a railway connection

ed44fd7471bd.jpg

2000px-Baku-Tbilisi-Kars_Railway_Map.svg.png

in terms of Eastern European nations, they have their own railway project which also involves Turkey Georgia and Azerbaijan, and also includes Ferry transport, project is called viking

vikingtrain.png

its is impossible to avoid Turkey, the biggest reason China is using land as a new way of transportation to Europe is due to speed, once Turkey completes railway tunnel to Europe, the fastest way is through Turkey.

nope, it would go through the same connection China would use to get to Georgia, currently Azerbaijan is building a port in the Caspian Sea, along with Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan, ferries and cargo ships will move the cargo across the Caspian. Azerbaijan, Turkey and Georgia are also building a railway connection

ed44fd7471bd.jpg

2000px-Baku-Tbilisi-Kars_Railway_Map.svg.png

in terms of Eastern European nations, they have their own railway project which also involves Turkey Georgia and Azerbaijan, and also includes Ferry transport, project is called viking

vikingtrain.png

its is impossible to avoid Turkey, the biggest reason China is using land as a new way of transportation to Europe is due to speed, once Turkey completes railway tunnel to Europe, the fastest way is through Turkey.

I am not interested what other routes are being built. I am not sure how much of it has been built. But, what I know is the ground work going on is a port in Georgia and a ferry/ro-ro link to Romania.

I am not interested what other routes are being built. I am not sure how much of it has been built. But, what I know is the ground work going on is a port in Georgia and a ferry/ro-ro link to Romania.

yes, and the cargo goes through Azerbaijan to Georgia

both ports in Azerbaijan and Georgia are pretty much being built at the same speed and similar capacity, by the time Georgian port is completed, other infrastructure projects in the region will also be completed.

Wow, I did not realize (due to the fact that I did not study the map carefully) that Georgia is in such a great location. Once it completes building the Black Sea port, together with the Azerbaijan's port in the Caspian Sea, a rail-ferry link to Europe will be established. I suppose Turkey is still very welcomed in joining the mega project but the dependency would be reduced significantly.

both ports in Azerbaijan and Georgia are pretty much being built at the same speed and similar capacity, by the time Georgian port is completed, other infrastructure projects in the region will also be completed.

Hence the argument that the purpose of building a port is to by-pass Turkey. Otherwise, land connection via Turkey into Europe would suffice.

The fact that a major port is being built is very interesting.

Wow, I did not realize (due to the fact that I did not study the map carefully) that Georgia is in such a great location. Once it completes building the Black Sea port, together with the Azerbaijan's port in the Caspian Sea, a rail-ferry link to Europe will be established. I suppose Turkey is still very welcomed in joining the mega project but the dependency would be reduced significantly.

Yes, it is well-located and the port makes it even more interesting.

Of course, there would be other links, also via Turkey, in the future, but, as you say, China definitely wants to diversify the strategic options when it comes to multiple linkages to the eventual destination, Western Europe.

This is great development! looking forward to linking it up from coast to coast!:yahoo:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom