What's new

The fraud of Saraswati River - Hindu Myth busted

Have you read the book I've recommended ? If not , how can you comment on its veracity ?

Don't just comment for the sake of commenting .If you're here to know the truth , you ought to be open & impartial to all sides of the argument .However, if you're here to fit in pieces of evidences to match your theory , please go on.You're doing a fine job.

Ok I will check the book - hope it's not just another "you see what you want to see" piece with nationalistic agenda.

Ok I will check the book - hope it's not just another "you see what you want to see" piece with nationalistic agenda.

I've just begun reading .It comes highly recommended .You can read the reviews .The author is an amateur historian with wide experience in Indology .However , he isn't a blind lover of all things Indian.From the little I've read he carefully sifts the grain away from the chaff.Incidentally , the novel reads more like a thriller .Slow burn.You can get it on Amazon .

Geographic extent of India by Indo Greeks especially Megasthenes who lived in Patliputra - Present day India

OR AN EPITOME OF MEGASTHENES.
(Diod. II. 35-42.)

(35.)" India, which is in shape quadrilateral, has its eastern as well as its western side bounded by the great sea, but on the northern side it is divided by Mount Hemodos from that part of Skythia which is inhabited by those Skythians who are called the Sakai, while the fourth or western side is bounded by the river called the Indus, which is perhaps the largest of all rivers in the world after the Nile. The extent of the whole country from east to west is said to be 28,000 stadia, and from north to south 32,000. Being thus of such vast extent, it seems well-nigh to embrace the whole of the northern tropic zone of the earth, and in fact at the extreme point of India the gnomon of the sundial may frequently be observed to cast no shadow, while the constellation of the Bear is by night invisible, and in the remotest parts even Arcturus disappears from view. Consistently with this, it is also stated that shadows there fall to the southward.
India has many huge mountains which abound in fruit-trees of every kind, and many vast plains of great fertility--more or less beautiful, but all alike intersected by a multitude of rivers.
The greater part of the soil, moreover, is under irrigation, and consequently bears two crops in the course of the year. It teems at the same time with animals of all sorts,--beasts of the field and fowls of the air,--of all different degrees of strength and size. It is prolific, besides, in elephants, which are of monstrous bulk, as its soil supplies food in unsparing profusion, making these animals far to exceed in strength those that are bred in Libya. It results also that, since they are caught in great numbers by the Indians and trained for war, they are of great moment in turning the scale of victory.
(36.) The inhabitants, in like manner, having abundant means of subsistence, exceed in consequence the ordinary stature, and are distinguished by their proud bearing. They are also found to be well skilled in the arts, as might be expected of men who inhale a pure air and drink the very finest water. And while the soil bears on its surface all kinds "

https://www.researchgate.net/public...s_and_their_relation_to_the_'Vedic'_Saraswati

Complicated topic where it is important to not just read the scholarly papers but also sub-texts and revisions issued, in some cases, by the same authors, later as evidence progressed.

For example the original article posted (Horseplay in Harappa) relies heavily on the works of Weitzel et al who in turn rely upon works of others - such as Parpola.

Parpola however has heavily criticized Weitzel methodology - "Asko Parpola, reviewing the Farmer, Sproat, and Witzel thesis in 2005, states that their arguments "can be easily controverted".[95] He cites the presence of a large number of rare signs in Chinese, and emphasizes that there is "little reason for sign repetition in short seal texts written in an early logo-syllabic script". Revisiting the question in a 2007 lecture,[96] Parpola takes on each of the 10 main arguments of Farmer et al., presenting counterarguments. He states that "even short noun phrases and incomplete sentences qualify as full writing if the script uses the rebus principle to phonetize some of its signs". All these points are rejected in a lengthy paper by Richard Sproat, "Corpora and Statistical Analysis of Non-Linguistic Symbol Systems" (2012).[11]"

Unless we spend a LOT of time, which atleast I do not have for this purpose, it is reasonable I think to keep our minds open. It is as crude to dismiss Vedic literature as 'mythology' as it is to argue that every sub-text and interpretation of the Vedas has to be correct.

It is as disingenuous to claim that the Weitzel conclusions (which btw even within his own paper contains huge leaps of faith) are better founded than a hundred others who have done similar work as it is to claim Rushdie's representation of Gabriel is the realistic one!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom