What's new

The day when we bombed karachi - Vijay Jerath

The fact is true.. the oil tanks burned for over a week( they had part crude part light diesel so the fuel was there).
What is more horrifying was the action by our naval chief.. who was drunk and heard remarking "What a LOVELY bonfire" to his son in the presence of senior naval officers.

there was no counter to the OSA missiles... and there were Russian officers present on some boats helping out.

Is the quote about karachi buring for 7 days and 7 nights true. It seems over dramatic to me

Not really. It just happened that the tank farms at Karachi (Keamari) just across the harbor from Manora Island had been hit by the IAF aircraft (a few days before?) this missile attack. So the conflagaration was re-lit. One of our esteemed Senior members here Niaz was at the tank farm. And if I remember one of his posts correctly, was involved in the stupendously risky and exhausting task of fire-fighting there.

It was just one of the vagaries of war.

Is the quote about karachi buring for 7 days and 7 nights true. It seems over dramatic to me

Not really sure but i read this somewhere else too and yeah it is over dramatic but cant help it we are Indians ..there is drama in every freaking thing in what we do. :woot:

What is the OSA missile? And Russian officers? Is this statement verifiable?

Osa-I class Missile Boat. INS Vinash( K 85)

This is sister ship INS Nipat( K86)

Frame01-K-86-MissileBoat-We.jpg

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/india/viyut.htm

The latter part is verifiable by recordings , alas these are on good old magnetic reels sitting in the naval museum in karachi.

The latter part is verifiable by recordings , alas these are on good old magnetic reels sitting in the naval museum in karachi.

I suppose there were american personnel in Pak armed forces as well....right? After all, this happened during the cold war.

Santro seems to have made a error there, first they were OSA I class missile boats; while the missiles were the Styx missiles. Same about Russian officers on board the little "killer boats".

any of those available on the net?? It has been long time now.I guess they can now be put to the public domain.

I dont think russians were involved in this operation directly russians would stand out in pakistani waters

Santro seems to have made a error there, first they were OSA I class missile boats; while the missiles were the Styx missiles. Same about Russian officers on board the little "killer boats".

I wanted to be as brief and less technical as possible.

As far as the russian officers are concerned.. I have posted on this before.
They were there, there are recorded radio transmissions in Russian when the attacks were in progress.
The alternate theory is that IN officers were using Russian as a code language.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

any of those available on the net?? It has been long time now.I guess they can now be put to the public domain.

Nah.. there is even a recording of the Kukri's sinking which can be heard via a kiosk in the museum.. but nothing has been put online.

Santro, the crew on the Osa boats were communicating with each other in Russian. All Indian crews who were trained in Russia could speak Russian- it was de rigeur. Some of the wives who accompanied their husbands to Russia, learnt the language as well. I know of at least one of them who is doing very well as a Russian language translator. :)

@ Shabz Nist
Dude very good article but you will be banned and thread will be closed by tomorrow. But i am happy to read before this thread is deleted...

Why all of u are discouraging this member????

Is it not related to defense???????

And read the date its the latest article from the "Week" magazine, can't one post a relevant currently published defense article on a defense website???

Its ridicules how some of you are cowardly behaving.

The fact is true.. the oil tanks burned for over a week( they had part crude part light diesel so the fuel was there).
What is more horrifying was the action by our naval chief.. who was drunk and heard remarking "What a LOVELY bonfire" to his son in the presence of senior naval officers.

there was no counter to the OSA missiles... and there were Russian officers present on some boats helping out.

What happened to the Navy Chief after he made those remarks?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom