What's new

The dark chapter:1971 tragedy

interesting
Yes, unfortunately, few Pakistanis know that the seeds of Bangladesh were sown not in 1950s or 1960s, nor were they a result of West Pakistan's persecution of oppressed East Pakistan, but in 1940s, way before the creation of Pakistan.

The proposal for an independent united Bengal

Bengali nationalists Sarat Chandra Bose, Husein Shaheed Suhrawardy, Kiran Shankar Roy, Abul Hashim, Satya Ranjan Bakshi and Mohammad Ali Chaudhury came up with a demand for a united and independent state of Bengal. The plan was presented by Husein Shaheed Suhrawardy on April 27, 1947 in a press conference in Delhi.

With the support of the British governor of the Bengal province, Frederick Burrows, Bengali leaders issued the formal proposal on May 20. The salient features of the proposal were as follows:

1. Bengal would be a Free State. The Free State of Bengal would decide its relations with the rest of India.

2. The Constitution of the Free State of Bengal would provide for election to the Bengal Legislature on the basis of a joint electorate and adult franchise, with reservation of seats proportionate to the population among Hindus and Muslims. The seats set aside for Hindus and Scheduled Caste Hindus would be distributed amongst them in proportion to their respective population, or in such manner as may be agreed among them. The constituencies would be multiple constituencies and the votes would be distributive and not cumulative. A candidate who got the majority of the votes of his own community cast during the elections and 25 percent of the votes of the other communities so cast, would be declared elected. If no candidate satisfied these conditions, that candidate who got the largest number of votes of his own community would be elected.

3. On the announcement by His Majesty's Government that the proposal of the Free State of Bengal had been accepted and that Bengal would not be partitioned, the present Bengal Ministry would be dissolved. A new interim Ministry would be brought into being, consisting of an equal number of Muslims and Hindus (including Scheduled Caste Hindus) but excluding the Chief Minister. In this Ministry, Chief Minister would be a Muslim and the Home Minister a Hindu.

4. Pending the final emergence of a Legislature and a Ministry under the new constitutions, Hindus (including Scheduled Caste Hindus) and Muslims would have an equal share in the Services, including military and police. The Services would be manned by Bengalis.

5. A Constituent Assembly composed of 30 persons, 16 Muslims and 14 non-Muslims, would be elected by Muslim and non-Muslim members of the Legislature respectively, excluding Europeans.

Both Congress and Muslim League swiftly issued statement against the proposal and on Jun 3 1947, the viceroy announced plans to partition India (and consequently Punjab and Bengal), effectively burying the demand for an independent Bengal.

Last edited:
His infamous and illogical six points are but the testament to this fact.
Well. Not all of the six points were illogical:
1.The constitution should provide for a Federation of Pakistan in its true sense based on the parliamentary form of government with supremacy of a Legislature directly elected on the basis of universal adult franchise.

2.The federal government should deal with only two subjects: Defence and Foreign Affairs, and all other residual subjects should be vested in the federating states.

4.The power of taxation and revenue collection should be vested in the federating units and the federal centre would have no such power. The federation would be entitled to a share in the state taxes to meet its expenditures.

While these ones were illogical:
3.Two separate, but freely convertible currencies for two wings should be introduced; or if this is not feasible, there should be one currency for the whole country, but effective constitutional provisions should be introduced to stop the flight of capital from East to West Pakistan. Furthermore, a separate Banking Reserve should be established and separate fiscal and monetary policy be adopted for East Pakistan.

5.There should be two separate accounts for the foreign exchange earnings of the two wings; the foreign exchange requirements of the federal government should be met by the two wings equally or in a ratio to be fixed; indigenous products should move free of duty between the two wings, and the constitution should empower the units to establish trade links with foreign countries.

6.East Pakistan should have a separate militia or paramilitary force.

We were thinking of adding that part. We came to the conclusion that it was best to let the readers figure out the lessons, especially after reading the reasons for separation.

Given that the events occurred a long time ago, it is perhaps more important to use them to compare and analyze what is happening today. Are we leading ourselves into the same situation? What can we do to avoid a similar adverse outcome again? To leave such important questions to the readers is unfair since the panel is better suited to answer such questions and lead the discussion her.

nor were they a result of West Pakistan's persecution of oppressed
I don't agree, say if Bangalis were equally treated from day one. Bangali chosen as national language, no unfair behavior etc, etc. Were allowed to form a government. As they say in urdu, 'Bangladesh bana ney ki naubat he nahi ati'. Bangladesh was formed to end East Pakistan's prosecution.

I hope you guys like it, do give it a read a share your thoughts guy's. Any questions, do ask.

Rated positive to this post....... Since the main author is you and the OP is @Slav Defence

Well written when looked from pakistani perspective......

But the conclusion caught me off guard....... It sounds like the entire blame is put on India for the mess created by Pakistan itself.....But I doubt there is any significant lesson to learnt, as the circumstance of East pakistan was very different from the current one.... Nevertheless every bad thing teach one something - Ie : What you should not be doing......

I don't agree, say if Bangalis were equally treated from day one. Bangali chosen as national language, no unfair behavior etc, etc. Were allowed to form a government. As they say in urdu, 'Bangladesh bana ney ki naubat he nahi ati'. Bangladesh was formed to end East Pakistan's prosecution.
Your disagreement does not change the historical facts. Do you know how many PMs of Pakistan were Bengali? You have not dealt with Bengalis and you have no idea what kind of people you are talking about. As I have mentioned earlier, they are fiercely (perhaps this word still cant explain adequately) nationalistic and wont settle on anything less than an independent Bengal, something they had been dreaming of and even attempted once pre-partition as mentioned in post#16. The fact is, East and West Pakistan were never, I repeat, never meant to be united for the two were like oil and water. It was not only the geographical distance, the two were as much apart in culture, language, social and political system, you name it. Mind you, religion always gives in before nationalism and if it was not the case, you were not seeing 52 Muslim countries.

Last edited:
Given that the events occurred a long time ago, it is perhaps more important to use them to compare and analyze what is happening today. Are we leading ourselves into the same situation? What can we do to avoid a similar adverse outcome again? To leave such important questions to the readers is unfair since the panel is better suited to answer such questions and lead the discussion her.
Sir, i believe you already know the answers to questions you are asking.
Rated positive to this post....... Since the man auther is you and the OP is @Slav Defence
Thank you.

Your disagreement does not change the historical facts. Do you know how many PMs of Pakistan were Bengali? You have not dealt with Bengalis and you have no idea what kind of people you are talking about. As I have mentioned earlier, they are fiercely (perhaps this word still cant explain adequately) nationalistic and wont settle on anything less than an independent Bengal, something they had been dreaming of and even attempted once pre-partition as mentioned in post#16.
I give in.
I stand by my point, which you agree with: separation of Bangladesh was avoidable.

Your disagreement does not change the historical facts. Do you know how many PMs of Pakistan were Bengali? You have not dealt with Bengalis and you have no idea what kind of people you are talking about. As I have mentioned earlier, they are fiercely (perhaps this word still cant explain adequately) nationalistic and wont settle on anything less than an independent Bengal, something they had been dreaming of and even attempted once pre-partition as mentioned in post#16.

You nailed the reason of East pakistan debacle..... But my point is If the above was true, You should not be blaming India.....

Thank you for that article. A question to the panel:

What lessons can be learned from the 1971 debacle to be applied to present day Pakistan in order to prevent a repeat of the tragedy?
Thank you for that article. A question to the panel:

What lessons can be learned from the 1971 debacle to be applied to present day Pakistan in order to prevent a repeat of the tragedy?

I tell you:
1)Assuring implementation of equal minority rights.
2)For God-sake,stop playing politics on ethnic and religious basis
3)Keep a very sharp eye at current mujeeb (you-know-who)
4)Larger provinces must be further divided so that rest provinces stop sensing insecurity that larger provinces are getting all share.
5)Greater budget is required for less developed provinces such as KPK etc
6)Areas such as gilgit Baltistan requires greater investment and clear identity,as they demand.
7)The situation of karachi,recalls us of insecurity of past Bangladeshis,as a consequence of which they are sticking themselves to MQM.Just yesterday @syedali73 had posted an amazing article on this.Sir,if our regime would have used their mind then AH or Zardari were never able to throw shit at army like that.The power of politician are their subject's insecurity and fear of being engulfed by unknown enemy/hidden.So,again instead of asking London to help,they must assure people of karachi that their rights are safe,to muhajirs that they are safe and they will not ended up being dhobi ka kutta,na bharat ka na Pakistan ka,sorry harsh words but it is indeed bitter truth.
8)Again,I would like you all to pay attention over less develouped provinces such as Baluchistan and areas such as gilgit,malaknand etc.They are patriots. Instaed that Mr.Shareef is wasting millions on metro bus,it is far better to initiate development projects in there.
9)Pakistan needs to to make strict policy towards India and neutral policy in case of world.
10)Media campaign,showing positive sides,beauty of Pakistan,instead of always showing warfare and terrorism,time to shed off this curse.

regards

Can you elaborate on this please....
Sir,
it's simple,love vs love, and fight vs fight.No ignorance,no silence:)
where as neural policy mean,no interference b/w arab-Iraninan dog fight!

Sir, i believe you already know the answers to questions you are asking.

I would like to know the panels thoughts on these questions, please.

I tell you:
1)Assuring implementation of equal minority rights.
2)For God-sake,stop playing politics on ethnic and religious basis
3)Keep a very sharp eye at current mujeeb (you-know-who)
4)Larger provinces must be further divided so that rest provinces stop sensing insecurity that larger provinces are getting all share.
5)Greater budget is required for less developed provinces such as KPK etc
6)Areas such as gilgit Baltistan requires greater investment and clear identity,as they demand.
7)The situation of karachi,recalls us of insecurity of past Bangladeshis,as a consequence of which they are sticking themselves to MQM.Just yesterday @syedali73 had posted an amazing article on this.Sir,if our regime would have used their mind then AH or Zardari were never able to throw shit at army like that.The power of politician are their subject's insecurity and fear of being engulfed by unknown enemy/hidden.So,again instead of asking London to help,they must assure people of karachi that their rights are safe,to muhajirs that they are safe and they will not ended up being dhobi ka kutta,na bharat ka na Pakistan ka,sorry harsh words but it is indeed bitter truth.
8)Again,I would like you all to pay attention over less develouped provinces such as Baluchistan and areas such as gilgit,malaknand etc.They are patriots. Instaed that Mr.Shareef is wasting millions on metro bus,it is far better to initiate development projects in there.
9)Pakistan needs to to make strict policy towards India and neutral policy in case of world.
10)Media campaign,showing positive sides,beauty of Pakistan,instead of always showing warfare and terrorism,time to shed off this curse.

regards

Is there any evidence that we have learnt any of these lessons and are prepared to implement them? What would be the consequences if we do not heed these lessons?

Is there any evidence that we have learnt any of these lessons and are prepared to implement them? What would be the consequences if we do not heed these lessons?
no to the first question. similar consequences as seen in 1971, separation of that part from Pakistan or even worse,answer to the second question.
As i said before, 'there are many lesson that can be learnt from this tragic period, it's a shame that we still haven't.'

I would like to know the panels thoughts on these questions, please.

Well,I haven't seen much from civil regime.However,I have seen Pakistan army is realizing it,as a result of which they have increased quota of Baluchis for army induction & setting up rehabilitation centers.This is the main cause,that many victims who had fallen as pray to terrorists were healed and we have saved many useful minds for getting blowing up!
second, we have seen that at least PTI,to some extent have been working in KPK.For, example Mr.Khan is working in establishing Universities and has set mobile courts.These are albeit,small contributions but a bright beginning of something.
Terrorists are being destroyed due to operation zarb e azab-another huge step to help us shedding off this black spot to our backs.
Most important, somethings are themselves benefiting us to build a bit softer image,revival of pakistani cinema.Sounds bullshit to you,but I see that it may be very promising in building our image.
Last but not least,these are very small steps an greater problems are still not resolved ie karachi issue and and rest mentioned.If unsolved,then we could imagine of dire consequences.Albeit,it may not lead to seperation but bloodshed for sure(Allah forbid).

Regards

Last edited:
Well,I haven't seen much from civil regime.However,I have seen Pakistan army is realizing it,as a result of which they have increased quota of Baluchis for army induction & setting up rehabilitation centers.This is the main cause,that mani victims who had fallen as pray to terrorists were healed and we have saved many useful minds for getting blowing up!
second, we have seen that at least PTI,to some extent have been working in KPK.For, example Mr.Khan is working in establishing Universities and has set mobile courts.These are albeit,small contributions but a bright beginning of something.
Terrorists are being destroyed due to operation zarb e azab-another another huge step to help us shedding off this black spot to our backs.
Most important, somethings are themselves benefiting us to build a bit softer image,revival of pakistani cinema.Sounds bullshit to you,but I see that it may be very promising in building our image.
Last but not least,these are very small steps an greater problems are still not resolved ie karachi issue and and rest mentioned.If unsolved,then we could imagine of dire consequences.Albeit,it may not lead to seperation but bloodshed for sure(Allah forbid).

Regards

Yes, these small steps as you mention are important. But you also admit that these small steps fall short of solving much greater problems, so the dire consequences may be inevitable, given that working on a softer image without the substance to back it up can go only so far and not further.

Back
Top Bottom