What's new

The Christian Underground In 'Atheist' China

anilindia

Reaction score
Religion in China is complicated for those trying to practice it - and complicated to explain, too.

Officially, the People's Republic of China is an atheist country but only because the Chinese Communist Government is an atheist institution.

Chairman Mao, whose revolution brought the Communists to power in 1949, described religion as "poison".

Attempts were made through his Cultural Revolution of the 1960s and 1970s to eradicate all religions.

China as a country, though, has an ancient tradition of religion of all types: Buddhists, Christians, Taoists, Muslims and more. Historically, religion and China are deeply entwined.

The Chinese Communist Party is a master of survival. It survives by sensing tensions in society and then either adapting its regulations or clamping down – whichever it thinks will be most effective.

With religion, the government has done a bit of both. Religious groups who are happy to answer to the Communist leadership in Beijing are allowed to exist. Those who do not are driven underground.

Chinese government figures put the number of Christian Protestants in China at about 18 million and Catholics at about six million.

That's thought to be a massive underestimation, though.

Part of the confusion is because they count only the officially sanctioned churches in China.

The illegal underground churches, which are unregistered, do not form part of their tally.

The six million Catholics answer not to The Pope in The Vatican but to the Communist Government in Beijing.

The Chinese Catholic Patriotic Association appoints its own bishops.

It is banned from having any dealings with the Vatican who in turn support the underground Chinese Catholics. It is a subject of continued tension between The Vatican and Beijing.

At this year's Government-run National Chinese Christian Congress, figures were published showing the growing popularity of Christianity in China.

It said that 2.4 million Protestant Christian followers were baptised during the five years to the end of 2012.

In that time, 5,195 churches had been newly built or renovated and 1,057 pastors, 482 curates and 1,443 elders ordained.

These are all government-sanctioned churches which must, in the words of Jiang Jianyong, deputy director of the State Administration for Religious Affairs, "shoulder their social responsibilities and play a positive role when the society is undergoing dramatic changes".

That hints at where many of the tensions spring from. Churches globally tend to attract those who are less privileged or persecuted in some way. In China that usually means they are at loggerheads with the Government about a social or human rights issue. If Churches support them and get too powerful, they present a threat to the Communist Government.

Increasingly there are signs of Christian congregations pitted against corrupt local government officials, and that’s when the trouble starts.

Equally, though, there are suggestions of a growing willingness by the Chinese Government to allow, tentatively, more religious freedom, a development welcomed by Christian Rights organisations.

The religious tensions go well beyond Christianity.

In Tibet, there are now police stationed in almost every monastery. In China’s Xinjiang Province in the far west, the Uygur Muslim population claim its religious freedoms and culture is being quickly eroded by the encroachment of Han Chinese from the rest of China.

The Christian Underground In 'Atheist' China

China should encourage Buddhism before it is too late....

I think in this issue, Pakistan, india and china should work together to protect their own religions from chirstian propaganda. the Christian pays money for propagation program, Christian go to door to door to ask people to believe jesus. especially, they pay money for poor people to believe in jesus. for the rich people, Christian lie like if you dont believe jesus, you would have been in trouble!

Also, they didn't attempt to eradicate "religion" in culture revolution. The goal is to eradicate "superstition". There is a big difference between the two.

Also, they didn't attempt to eradicate "religion" in culture revolution. The goal is to eradicate "superstition". There is a big difference between the two.

What's the difference? Do you think there is actually an invisible man in the sky created the universe in 7 days, listens to everyone's conversation, watches everyone's moves, loves his children so much that he created diseases to kill them, etc...BUT he wants you to worship him preferably on Sunday because he needs to rest?

Christianity breeds stupidity. Feel sorry for people who waste their entire life following stories written by camel jockies from 2000 years ago, whose knowledge of the world was 10 miles radius where they live. It's 2013 and people still believe in this? I thought having a higher IQ would prevent one from believing such nonsense. :china:

What's the difference? Do you think there is actually an invisible man in the sky created the universe in 7 days, listens to everyone's conversation, watches everyone's moves, loves his children so much that he created diseases to kill them, etc...BUT he wants you to worship him preferably on Sunday because he needs to rest?
That just goes to show how little you know of Christian theology.

Christianity breeds stupidity.
So does arrogance -- YOURS.

Feel sorry for people who waste their entire life following stories written by camel jockies from 2000 years ago, whose knowledge of the world was 10 miles radius where they live. It's 2013 and people still believe in this? I thought having a higher IQ would prevent one from believing such nonsense. :china:
Right...This is from a people who believes in the silly notion of 'Mandate of Heaven'.

Christianity breeds stupidity. Feel sorry for people who waste their entire life following stories written by camel jockies from 2000 years ago, whose knowledge of the world was 10 miles radius where they live. It's 2013 and people still believe in this? I thought having a higher IQ would prevent one from believing such nonsense. :china:

But people are more attracting to them. Its good if govt encourage some ritual. At least they will go your way not to a missionary....

U have got to understand Religion is still a political tool, if used wisely, can be of benefit to any nation.

I'm very glad the CCP is cracking down on these underground churches.

Why do we need these foreign religions who answer to an Italian man in the Vatican.

What is wrong with our native religions, or atheism? If someone wants to be religious, there are plenty of other choices.

Chinese Dragon - I believe you are in Hong Kong? You can see how the Church has gone into soft power mode by being the first organisations to answer natural disasters? Anyone in HK is on assylum, the Christian organisations are the first ones to rush to the needs of the assylum seekers. Sponsor a child schemes outside of HK? Church related organisations run them. HK Movie industry since the 90s has had a very strong Pro-Christian tilt with many footages showing (and subconsciously affecting) Church related messages, be they visual or subtle hints. Christian organisations are also at the forefront to convert drug addicts, prisoners, offenders et al and to show them the way ahead.

Missionaries in HK run amock with the most aggressive push coming from the guys who wear crisp white shirts and black pants on any given day (trying to convert mostly atheist/Buddhist/Taoist) neighborhoods.

Whilst I don't have any issue with Christianity per se, my only peeve with those who spread the good word of the Lord is that He is the one and only for salvation and no other God before him/after him stands on same ground.

Point I am making is, the spread of Christianity in Asia is happening far more faster on a subconscious social level than anything.

I'm very glad the CCP is cracking down on these underground churches.

Why do we need these foreign religions who answer to an Italian man in the Vatican.

What is wrong with our native religions, or atheism? If someone wants to be religious, there are plenty of other choices.

We need something like CCP in India to Eradicate Religious Nonsense
There are many people using religion to play with peoples emotion that needs to be corrected

Chinese Dragon - I believe you are in Hong Kong? You can see how the Church has gone into soft power mode by being the first organisations to answer natural disasters? Anyone in HK is on assylum, the Christian organisations are the first ones to rush to the needs of the assylum seekers. Sponsor a child schemes outside of HK? Church related organisations run them. HK Movie industry since the 90s has had a very strong Pro-Christian tilt with many footages showing (and subconsciously affecting) Church related messages, be they visual or subtle hints. Christian organisations are also at the forefront to convert drug addicts, prisoners, offenders et al and to show them the way ahead.

Missionaries in HK run amock with the most aggressive push coming from the guys who wear crisp white shirts and black pants on any given day (trying to convert mostly atheist/Buddhist/Taoist) neighborhoods.

Whilst I don't have any issue with Christianity per se, my only peeve with those who spread the good word of the Lord is that He is the one and only for salvation and no other God before him/after him stands on same ground.

Point I am making is, the spread of Christianity in Asia is happening far more faster on a subconscious social level than anything.

That is one of the reasons why I prefer the Mainland government to my own HK government.

The Mainland government doesn't take this kind of sh*t from Christian and Western NGO's.

Christianity is not a religion for the west, its used as a political tool.

Chinese leaders have been doing a poor job in cracking down on the spread of Christianity.

It is exactly the case.

Those westerners are quite hypocritical.

If you are a little familiar with Europe history, you still remember how Britain's Henry VIII handled Catholic in the past???

Don't remember that??? How about google it???

Actually the Chinese have got one thing right.! The religious insititutions in a country must answer to the head of a religion in that country. Not having contact with head outside the country is a wise move that prevent social unrest. :tup:

It is exactly the case.

Those westerners are quite hypocritical.

If you are a little familiar with Europe history, you still remember how Britain's Henry VIII handled Catholic in the past???

Don't remember that??? How about google it???

India is facing a lot of problems . Allowing foreign religion head to speak to the local head creates a lot of confusion and social unrest. Money is poured in for conversions , resulting in social problems in such areas. India should do the same albeit in a sensible manner.

Back
Top Bottom