What's new

The Chinese lunar year of monkey!

AndrewJin

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
I create this thread to share news about the upcoming spring festival,
the start of the Chinese new year of monkey.

@Yizhi @Shotgunner51 @TaiShang @Stranagor @cirr @Keel @Jlaw @Place Of Space @FairAndUnbiased @zeronet @Raphael @sweetgrape @Edison Chen @Chinese Bamboo @Chinese-Dragon @cnleio @+4vsgorillas-Apebane @onebyone @yusheng @Kyle Sun @dy1022 @Beast @YoucanYouup @terranMarine @ahojunk @kuge@Economic superpower @Beidou2020 @cirr @JSCh @jkroo @Pangu @ChineseTiger1986 @powastick @onebyone @kankan326 @badguy2000 @TianyaTaiwan @ahtan_china @ChineseTiger1986 @powastick @empirefighter @hexagonsnow @xuxu1457 @sword1947 @tranquilium@55100864 @Sommer @HongWu002 @Speeder 2 @Dungeness @utp45 @StarCraft_ZT2 @Martian2 @Jguo @Arryn @rott @TheTruth @Dungeness @immortalsoul @beijingwalker @xunzi @Obambam @ahtan_china @bolo @bobsm @Abacin @Tom99 @Genesis @GS Zhou @djsjs @Daniel808 @Nan Yang @70U63 ]@CAPRICORN-88 @XiaoYaoZi @Hu Songshan @theniubt @LTE-TDD @faithfulguy et al

W020160105554340692732.jpg

Laba porridge marks prelude to Chinese New Year
Locals line up for Laba porridge at the Yonghe Lama Temple in Beijing, Jan 17, 2016. [Photo by Guan Xin/China Daily]

The traditional Laba Festival, when Chinese people eat Laba porridge and garlic to celebrate the event which is regarded as the prelude to the coming Chinese Luna New Year, fell on Sunday.

The festival is celebrated on the eighth day of the 12th month of the traditional Chinese calendar, originally a day of thanks for a good harvest and sacrifice to ancestors. It also marks the day on which Sakyauni, the founder of Buddhism, reached enlightenment and became immortal.

An old Chinese saying goes: "After Laba, it's time to celebrate the Chinese Lunar New Year," meaning the festival marks the start of a series of celebrations for the important Spring Festival.
eca86bd9e2f91805644c40.jpg

eca86bd9e2f91805644c41.jpg

A child enjoys a spoonful of Laba porridge at Beijing's Yonghe Lama Temple, Jan 17, 2016. The festival was originally a day of thanks for a good harvest and sacrifice to ancestors. [Photo by Guan Xin/China Daily]

Laba porridge, made with rice, nuts, cereal and dried fruit, is the traditional dish for the festival. Many temples across the country provided free porridge to the public on Sunday.

Among them, the Yonghegong Lama Temple, in Beijing, shared porridge with hundreds of residents since early morning.

eca86bd9e2f91805644c44.jpg

Last edited:
Commemorative coins for Year of Monkey issued across China
Commemorative Year of the Monkey coins was issued in Beijing on Jan 16, 2016. The commemorative coins have a 27 millimeters diameter and a denomination of 10 yuan ($1.5). The Central Bank announced to issue 500 million commemorative Year of the Monkey coins. [Photo/chinanews.com]
eca86bd9e2f91805276e08.jpg
b083fe955fd818052f8022.jpg
eca86bd9e2f91805279e0c.jpg

Residents queue outside a branch of Industrial and Commercial Bank of China in Beijing to exchange the commemorative Year of the Monkey coins, Jan 16, 2016. [Photo/Chinanews.com]
b083fe955fd8180530ed2f.jpg

Residents wait at a branch of China Construction Bank to exchange the commemorative Year of Monkey coins in Shanghai, Jan 16, 2016. [Photo/IC]
eca86bd9e2f91805279e0e.jpg

I
successfully registered 20 coins yesterday via the website of ICBC.:enjoy:
Dunno when this second batch of monkey coins will be issued.

@dy1022

Commemorative coins for Year of Monkey issued across China
Commemorative Year of the Monkey coins was issued in Beijing on Jan 16, 2016. The commemorative coins have a 27 millimeters diameter and a denomination of 10 yuan ($1.5). The Central Bank announced to issue 500 million commemorative Year of the Monkey coins. [Photo/chinanews.com]
View attachment 287731 View attachment 287732 View attachment 287733

Residents queue outside a branch of Industrial and Commercial Bank of China in Beijing to exchange the commemorative Year of the Monkey coins, Jan 16, 2016. [Photo/Chinanews.com]
View attachment 287734

Residents wait at a branch of China Construction Bank to exchange the commemorative Year of Monkey coins in Shanghai, Jan 16, 2016. [Photo/IC]
View attachment 287735

I
successfully registered 20 coins yesterday via the website of ICBC.:enjoy:
Dunno when this second batch of monkey coins will be issued.

@dy1022

June

It's really impressive, the quota is full within only two hours here.
I registered at 00:10 yesterday for the second batch, the website of ICBC(ICBC is responsible for issuing monkey coins in Hubei) was very slow.
Anyway, I got 20. You guys in the bank must get more!
0.5 billion coins:enjoy:

June?!

I registered at 00:10 yesterday for the second batch, the website of ICBC(ICBC is responsible for issuing monkey coins in Hubei) was very slow.
0.5 billion coins:enjoy:

June?!

I ordered 1600 coins for the second batch, in June !

So, what will the year of the monkey bring?

Lucky you are! So sad only big 4 state banks can issue the coins! LOL! Anyway it depends on your Internet speed and your hands' speed if it only accepts online application.

Looks cool,here is our version

View attachment 287771

Our Monkey King is Buddhist, yours is Hinduist. His name is 悟空, means "comprehend empty". Before he become a Buddhist, he was a wild monkey, like to destroy rules.

Ya, didn't mean like that, meant like what generally year of the monkey means.
I am a superior* rooster myself...so...keep your monkey business to yourself! :lol:

* it is actually "kneel to my ......" :mod:

jk, jk

eh, what it means? I don't know, it's a tradition come down generations to generations, may show the respects or appreciations to our familiar animals . What Capricorn means, by the way?
My Monkey King like you.
7218808.JPG

what is laba porridge in mandarin?

btw, what element of this monkey consists of? metal, wood,water, fire, earth?

i have had "tet" in hanoi during my visit many years ago...hawkers lined up by roadside with flowers, tet, etc...

Now booking train tickets, can't wait to see the New Year feast!

Long time no back home.:cray:.
Now?
Still got empty seats?

what is laba porridge in mandarin?

btw, what element of this monkey consists of? metal, wood,water, fire, earth?

i have had "tet" in hanoi during my visit many years ago...hawkers lined up by roadside with flowers, tet, etc...
腊八粥 (la ba zhou)
腊 stands for 腊月(December)
八=8
粥=porridge

I ordered 1600 coins for the second batch, in June !
How could u do that?
U evil!

Do u have these monkey stamps of 2016?
112.jpg
TB1U.kaLXXXXXataXXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_400x400.jpg

Back
Top Bottom