What's new

The China Ad played on TV - having a huge impact on AMericans!

Classism’ Against Chinese People

You don’t have to be of a different race to be discriminated against in China. People in China often treat those they perceive as belonging to a lower class quite poorly

Classism is like a caste system. Because caste determined social status, in china it is no different

Racism against Japanese People in China

Leading up to, during, and following World War II, Japan committed many atrocious acts in China and much of the Pacific Rim (with Korea also suffering greatly). This is something that should be redressed by Japan, and not ignored.

However, two wrongs do not make a right – and racism against Japanese people in China is wrong.

Some children in China are taught hate songs against Japanese people in elementary school – and history books in China that deal with Japan focus almost exclusively on the terrible things Japan did around World War II, ignoring much of Japan’s recent history.

The fact that Japan is now a mostly pacifist country is not part of the general awareness of a person who grows up in China. Instead, the popular conception of Japan in today’s China casts Japan as a huge and dangerous threat.

There also seems to be more slurs against Japanese people than against any other group of people.

dude, i'm sick of your stereotyping. what you're doing is taking a few minority extremist views and casting it over a entire population. in effect you demonize the chinese people. it's ironic that you're about racism. want to see a real racist? look in the mirror.

dude, i'm sick of your stereotyping. what you're doing is taking a few minority extremist views and casting it over a entire population. in effect you demonize the chinese people. it's ironic that you're about racism. want to see a real racist? look in the mirror.

Its ok mate.He is such an idiot and being a extreamist anti-China. He will take every bad things happened in China to support his own idiot anti -China activity.Shame on him :tdown: And lastly,actually chinese people likes japanese,dont trust me?Go sora aoi's weibo and you will see there are millions of her followers :cheesy:

Racism Against Minorities Within China

Racism doesn’t only extend to foreigners within China – it also extends to its own people. People from Tibet and virtually all Chinese ‘minorities’ are seen as backwards and in need of a helping hand to enter the modern world.

Those from Xinjiang province are often looked down upon as thieves – children are especially vilified, since they are all looked at as thieves. And Xinjiang people are often harrassed by the cops.

If you ask a person in China whether racism exists, you may well be told that it does not exist, and that they respect people of all countries and colors. But dig a little deeper, ask questions such as ‘what do you think of black people’ or ‘what do you think of Japanese people’, and the answers that come back are often racist.

Racism Against Other Races in ChinaThough racism in China is strongest against black people, there is a general relationship that determines how foreigners are seen by many people in China: The darker your skin, the more racism you will experience.

No matter where you grew up, if you are not white it will be tougher to get a job teaching English in China.

A foolish Indian like you talks about racism in China?

Wow… another comedy episode. Very much like a loser in a society where 2,000,000 children died of hunger yearly and 40,000 pregnant women died of negligence yearly points his feeble finger to China where no people starved to death nowadays, shouting “you bad, commie.” :lol:

While admittingly China has racism, just as racism in USA, India is nevertheless tops any racist country of the whole world. :tdown:

www.outlookindia.com | 'India Is Racist, And Happy About It'

Racism in India: Double Standards

India a ‘more racist society’ « Atrocity News

THE RACIST INDIAN | A Twist of Word and Mind

http://www.nagalandpost.com/ShowStory.aspx?npoststoryiden=UzEwMTMyMzI=-0umCp4e9YKI=

Northeast students question 'racism' in India - India News - IBNLive

David Buhril: India: No stranger to racism

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-...h-eastern-state-mizoram-chief-minister-7.html

Battles with racism in India's own backyard | The Japan Times Online

BTW, I personally don't care if you racially or socially discriminate your own people, but if you don’t like your NE Mongoloid minorities, can’t you just let them be independent?

No matter where you grew up, if you are not white it will be tougher to get a job teaching English in China.

To bust your lie, I personally encountered many ABC who are happily enjoying teaching English in Chinese colleges. They all have standard pronunciation and perfect enunciation, at least they don’t have Indian accent where "a" changes to "yeah" and “z” becomes ”geee”.

...What's your next episode, clown?

Reality TV show exposes racism in China Reality TV show exposes racism in China - Telegraph

Lou_1522231c.jpg

Lou Jing sings Shanghai opera and speaks fluent Mandarin, but when she competed to be China's next reality TV pop star, it was not her voice that was criticised - it was her black skin.
The daughter of a Chinese mother and an absent African-American father, 20-year-old Lou caused a media storm when she was named one of Shanghai's five finalists for Let's Go! Oriental Angel, an American Idol-style show.

But her fame has been for all of the wrong reasons, after her appearance provoked a vigorous and often vicious nationwide debate on whether she was even fit to be on Chinese television because of the colour of her skin.

Before US President Barack Obama's first visit to China, Lou's experience has put a spotlight on perceptions of race in the country and the challenges the Asian giant faces as its economic boom fosters a more ethnically diverse society.

"I am Chinese," Lou said. "But when I read the comments, I started to question myself. I never questioned myself before. This time I started to think about how I am different from others."

Even though Obama is wildly popular among the Chinese people and the country is rapidly expanding its ties with Africa, commentators said Lou's story exposes deep racism in China, where the ethnic Han are in a vast majority.

"In the same year Americans welcomed Obama into the White House, we can't even accept this girl with a different skin colour?" wrote Hung Huang, a talk show host and magazine publisher often described as "China's Oprah Winfrey".

"We tend to be biased against those who are darker-skinned, while admiring races that are paler than us. It is a deeply rooted evil within us," Hung wrote on her blog.

China Daily columnist Raymond Zhou called it "outright racism", saying that the bias against dark skin had defined notions of beauty, but was also an offshoot of class discrimination: field labourers were tanned while the rich were pale.

"Many of us even look down on fellow Chinese who have darker skin, especially women. Beauty products that claim to whiten the skin always fetch a premium. And children are constantly praised for having fair skin," he wrote.

Lou said she feels tougher and more mature after her experience, but added if she could do it all over again, she would not have gone on the show at all.

An instructor at Shanghai Drama Academy, where Lou studies broadcasting, put forward the mixed-race beauty and a handful of classmates to appear on the television talent show, without asking first.

She was selected for the top 30 nationwide, but was not among the 12 contestants chosen by judges for the next round.

Lou said she was not surprised by the judges' decision, but was shocked by the thousands of web postings that followed, most of them negative and many of them expressing racist views.

"I couldn't help crying. I felt hurt. I never meant to offend anyone," she said.

Although Lou is still working towards her dream of being a television presenter, she said the episode had left her less optimistic about whether she can find a place on China's airwaves.

"They want a TV host who is considered traditionally beautiful," she said.

"Ever since I appeared on TV, I realised that maybe I don't fit the image of a TV host. Many believe a TV host should have white skin, high nose and big eyes."

Lou said she would follow Obama's visit to China, listing the US president - himself of mixed-race descent - as one of her heroes alongside her mother and Winfrey, whose show she watches over the Internet.

She said Obama's autobiography had inspired her, but added that she was unconvinced she could change people's minds about race.

"He convinced people that he has the capacity to change what people thought of African-Americans. Compared to him, I don't have that capacity for change because the Chinese media is too powerful," she said.

"I asked if my race would pose a problem. There was dead silence on the other end of the line. With a faint stutter, the principal of the school replied, 'Frankly speaking, we would like our teachers to look professional. I mean, please don't get me wrong, but we would like a white teacher'."

Teaching recruiter Tony Lee confirms that it can be difficult for non-whites, however he says Western English speakers usually encounter fewer problems. More common in teaching circles is discrimination against Africans, Indians and Asians - especially in sophisticated cities like Shanghai. This is based on a perceived view that Western English is "proper" English.

Professor Yu Hai says most will be respectful or even humble when encountering Westerners - even non-whites - but will look down on foreigners from poorer parts of the world. Prosperity and wealth can have a weighty influence. So could country of origin be more important than race to the Chinese? The words zhongzu ("race") and minzu ("nation-race") are distinguished in the Chinese language. However, presumed racial genetic features can transcend "nation-race" according to Chinese History Professor Frank Dikotter at the University of London.

Yu Hai suggests the clearest example of this is a belief that intimate relationships with non-whites are unnatural, irrespective of country of origin.

"If a Chinese woman dates a white man it is social climbing. If she is with a black man, it is 'stepping down'. In this situation, the Chinese will express very strong feelings about ethnicity."

Reality TV show exposes racism in China Reality TV show exposes racism in China - Telegraph

Lou_1522231c.jpg

Lou Jing sings Shanghai opera and speaks fluent Mandarin, but when she competed to be China's next reality TV pop star, it was not her voice that was criticised - it was her black skin.
The daughter of a Chinese mother and an absent African-American father, 20-year-old Lou caused a media storm when she was named one of Shanghai's five finalists for Let's Go! Oriental Angel, an American Idol-style show.

But her fame has been for all of the wrong reasons, after her appearance provoked a vigorous and often vicious nationwide debate on whether she was even fit to be on Chinese television because of the colour of her skin.

Before US President Barack Obama's first visit to China, Lou's experience has put a spotlight on perceptions of race in the country and the challenges the Asian giant faces as its economic boom fosters a more ethnically diverse society.

"I am Chinese," Lou said. "But when I read the comments, I started to question myself. I never questioned myself before. This time I started to think about how I am different from others."

Even though Obama is wildly popular among the Chinese people and the country is rapidly expanding its ties with Africa, commentators said Lou's story exposes deep racism in China, where the ethnic Han are in a vast majority.

"In the same year Americans welcomed Obama into the White House, we can't even accept this girl with a different skin colour?" wrote Hung Huang, a talk show host and magazine publisher often described as "China's Oprah Winfrey".

"We tend to be biased against those who are darker-skinned, while admiring races that are paler than us. It is a deeply rooted evil within us," Hung wrote on her blog.

China Daily columnist Raymond Zhou called it "outright racism", saying that the bias against dark skin had defined notions of beauty, but was also an offshoot of class discrimination: field labourers were tanned while the rich were pale.

"Many of us even look down on fellow Chinese who have darker skin, especially women. Beauty products that claim to whiten the skin always fetch a premium. And children are constantly praised for having fair skin," he wrote.

Lou said she feels tougher and more mature after her experience, but added if she could do it all over again, she would not have gone on the show at all.

An instructor at Shanghai Drama Academy, where Lou studies broadcasting, put forward the mixed-race beauty and a handful of classmates to appear on the television talent show, without asking first.

She was selected for the top 30 nationwide, but was not among the 12 contestants chosen by judges for the next round.

Lou said she was not surprised by the judges' decision, but was shocked by the thousands of web postings that followed, most of them negative and many of them expressing racist views.

"I couldn't help crying. I felt hurt. I never meant to offend anyone," she said.

Although Lou is still working towards her dream of being a television presenter, she said the episode had left her less optimistic about whether she can find a place on China's airwaves.

"They want a TV host who is considered traditionally beautiful," she said.

"Ever since I appeared on TV, I realised that maybe I don't fit the image of a TV host. Many believe a TV host should have white skin, high nose and big eyes."

Lou said she would follow Obama's visit to China, listing the US president - himself of mixed-race descent - as one of her heroes alongside her mother and Winfrey, whose show she watches over the Internet.

She said Obama's autobiography had inspired her, but added that she was unconvinced she could change people's minds about race.

"He convinced people that he has the capacity to change what people thought of African-Americans. Compared to him, I don't have that capacity for change because the Chinese media is too powerful," she said.

Are you nuts?Go open another thread for this and stop off topic.Your post are nothing related to this topic troll.

Are you nuts?Go open another thread for this and stop off topic.Your post are nothing related to this topic troll.

Replying back to Gpit , just did not quote him. The OP which I posted was about perception about Chinese in the American Psyche ---and them being flaming racists is very much also an impression Americans have about the Chinese. Now feel free to leave the thread yourself..

I dont know....after reading a couple of jayatl's post i cant help but stereotype chinese. *sigh*. I mean....indians have a lot of racists... But its something the government, public etc are actively trying to change. You could become a social outcast if you act racist in my state.....lol....KERALA! WHERE THE REVOLUTION BEGINS!

Not to mention, in the south they have almost suceeded in eradicating caste superiority. Caste system in the south stays cause the lower caste guys dont want to lose the benefits of reservation and preferenntial treatment. Any attempt to change lower caste reservation is immediately thwarted by lower caste lobby groups.

In my state, kerala, you cant say squat if youre a racist. You lose all social standing...

Kerala is a high class region. Unfortunately, we're not talking about India here. We're talking about an American low class racist named JayATL from the ghettos.

Kerala is a high class region. Unfortunately, we're not talking about India here. We're talking about an American low class racist named JayATL from the ghettos.

youre right...sorry for going offtopic. But just so you know, kerala is not a "high class" region. We got all sorts of "class" here. We just happen to have progressive thinking.

LOL - apparently in China - they still have just a couple state run TV channels - so the entire country watches all the commercials. Makes sense - so much easier to brainwash the poor citizens.

i know its horrible to those poor indian low caste people, well`` what can u do, illiterate people are gullible since 60% indians are illiterate so it will take sometime for u lot to finally realise what is reality and bollywood movies` :D

This has been called the most hard hitting ad to date - that is playing into a strong sentiment among Americans. this is cultural visceral feeling Americans have towards china.

erm, isn't this a bit old? Why has this been reposted, is there any article today that makes reference to this and Americans?

Last edited by a moderator:
erm, isn't this a bit old? Why has this been reposted, is there any article today that makes reference to this and Americans?

it was my bad- first time i saw it was last week- already established that on page one...

but it's sure getting a lot of play now. its all over TV now vs. I guess it was just an obsucure web ad previously?

Back
Top Bottom