What's new

The bull in Greek and Persian art and mythology

Apollon

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Greece
I find it interesting because i saw in a Berlin museum large statues of bulls which originate from Persia i think. In Greece art we also have statues and icons that represent bulls in a similar pose and fashion. In our mythology it was mostly a representation of Zeus, what did it stand for in Persia?

The bull in Persian culture was almost considered the same figure as in Greece , the symbol of strength and fertitly. Even the royalty of sumeria which was ancient than the greeko-Persian empires used to rip the commons off of their riches via temples dedicated to bull/baal ------.

The bull in Persian culture was almost considered the same figure as in Greece , the symbol of strength and fertitly. Even the royalty of sumeria which was ancient than the greeko-Persian empires used to rip the commons off of their riches via temples dedicated to bull/baal ------.

It has to do with Zoroastrian cosmological beliefs (I think).

Nirmud is older than zoroastrain fellows ?
nimrud 4000-4500 year ago Zoroaster around 3500 year ago maybe a little older

The basic sense of the bull brought down by beasts of prey is an image of the fundamental forces of life and death in a terrible, intense struggle. As an image of the conflict that provides the sustenance of life, the lion and the bull are bound together as a single symbol.

If the bull is taken as the life-giving principle, the lion must be interpreted as the dynamic force that activates its release.
Mithra, the sun-god, deity of wisdom, light, contract, and war in pre-Zoroastrian Iran rode and later killed the life-giving cosmic bull whose blood fertilized all vegetation and animals. Tauroctony or Mithra’s slaying of the bull became the ritualistic prototype of fertility in Mithraic cult.

Mithra performs the sacrifice with a knife he was born with, so did the ‘karpans’ whose act Avesta denounces; it seems likely that the ceremony was a part of old Iranian paganism. This inference is corroborated by an Indian text in which Mitra – as the name appears in Vedic literature – reluctantly participates in the sacrifice of a god named Soma, who often appears in the shape of a white bull or the moon.
According to Avesta, Angra Mainyu kills the primeval bull, whose seed is rescued by Mah (Avestan: Maonghah, the moon) as the source for all other animals.

The Bull is symbol of Life tied with the Lion it represent the struggle between life and death that Sustenance the living

Nimrud, almaroof machar vali sarkar

The only nimrud I know about is an ancient city in Iraq, ISIS tried destroying it. The king named nimrud is not mentioned by this name in Quran. Farsio nay yeh nam dy dia ho ga

@I.R.A can you relate it to any other myth being projected in recent times ?

Han na Baniyo ko inho nay he tou phuddu lagaya hy gaey k chakar may.

Han na Baniyo ko inho nay he tou phuddu lagaya hy gaey k chakar may.

Plz pay attention, Fight between life and death and the reincarnation of a certain being/king-------.

How many of the modern myths seem to have been taken from the following qoute

The Bull is symbol of Life tied with the Lion it represent the struggle between life and death that Sustenance the living

both before and after it cascaded into Persian culture?

Plz pay attention, Fight between life and death and the reincarnation of a certain being/king-------.

How many of the modern myths seem to have been taken from the following qoute

I am an ignorant / illiterate, seriously would love to learn more about this.

588f0a0f5b399_9fl1.jpg

I dont known what this animal mean but image of this bull with Wings used in many old persian buildings and palaces

Back
Top Bottom