What's new

The Big Fight: NRIs and their 'Idea of India'

Indians are doing a lot for thier country.
Question is not Indians...question is all Indians...you see the difference....i can also NRI's are also doing a lot for India however not all...so this painting all with same brush is stupid...your whole premise is that once you leave India you are no longer Indian...isn't this stupid??

Infosys to invest $3 mn in US startup | The Financial Express

Is infosys wrong here...no...hell no...this is global world and wherever a better opportunity is present one will be there...no?? Does that mean they are not worthy Indians??

So you are saying they leave India is justified because they need opportunities. If everyone starts to think like that then what is the meaning of taking pride in India? Everyone should thrive to go abroad instead of making this country better?

Not everyone can be a saint or a martyr. Most people try to fulfill their own ambitions and also do the best for their country. They often leave reluctantly. Those who emigrate are often the very young and those from middle class or poor homes. All they have to offer is their brains and hard work. Are you saying that if every such person stayed behind, India would improve? How? Our problem is not lack of eager young people, our problem is lack of political will.

I was in UK for 2 years Swindon , what i noticed a strange thing there..
Pakistani's do promote bad image of there country by calling corruption and e.t.c but want to go back as soon as they get chance..
But Indian's don't say anything bad about India ..always praising.. but they never want to go back.. they make there little india thing in out there..
Personal observation :coffee:
Maybe ...but my personal observation is that despite creating little India's, on the whole Indians tend to integrate a little better into the host societies than Pakistanis.

Most of these are the High Caste Hindutva Bhakts graduates of IIT and other universities. The other NRI especially who have been here for than 10 years are fine people.

once you leave India you are no longer Indian

Yes when you quit your passport.

Infosys to invest $3 mn in US startup | The Financial Express

Is infosys wrong here...no...hell no...this is global world and wherever a better opportunity is present one will be there...no?? Does that mean they are not worthy Indians??

Investment by an Indian company and an 'Indian' serving America are different things.

Tell me, will you choose India over America? I doubt it.

Most of these are the High Caste Hindutva Bhakts graduates of IIT and other universities.

Go troll somewhere else.

India dont allow dual nationality so those who keep different nationality by denouncing Indian citizenship should not be called Indian but american, British, Canadian so word NRI dont make any sense :)

India dont allow dual nationality so those who keep different nationality by denouncing Indian citizenship should not be called Indian but american, British, Canadian so word NRI dont make any sense :)
NRI is the term for people who carry Indian passport, legally Indian,but live abroad, hence the term non resident Indian. People who have denounced the passport are called PIO(person of Indian origin). If you watch the video, it has been mentioned more than once.

btw you are not the only one, many people use NRI as broad term to describe all people from India living outside.

Yes when you quit your passport.
This is where the stupidity in the argument baffles me...the answer is a big NO....you don't want to discourage anyone from taking interest in India bcoz they can only bring in good...there is a reason terms like NRI, NRO, NRE are coined...You are getting into legality of status..which is not what i am referring to....love for country has nothing to do with what color of passport you carry...

The kind of talent and money NRI's have is a boon for the country....and they have proved their worth during time of needs...

India Taps Into Its Diaspora - Expatriates Buy Bonds for Love of Country, and 7.75% Interest - NYTimes.com
Vajpayee Government woos NRIs with Resurgent India Bonds, makes impressive gains : ECONOMY - India Today

Investment by an Indian company and an 'Indian' serving America are different things.
The same investment would have helped indian economy, created jobs there...no?? and this jargon is a jargon of naive who still live in past...this is global world...no??

Tell me, will you choose India over America? I doubt it.
you can doubt ...even i have my doubts over the fact that you may abandon India when push comes to shove...however your or my doubt are worthless...question here is what is good for India...On one hand we want FDI's to come like anything and on the other hand we want to discourage NRI's from taking interest in India....this is stupid...the more they feel welcome, the more India progress the more the chance that they will come back or invest in India or for that matter involve in anyway...lot of our best of brains are working outside India...they can be a great value addition should they work for India...no?? and here we are discouraging them from engagement :disagree:

Now one of the buffoon in that debate said that NRI's invest in India to make money...and not love for their country...ridiculous....Indians working in India are not working for money?? Who invests in India irrespective of his status for loss??

This is where the stupidity in the argument baffles me...the answer is a big NO....you don't want to discourage anyone from taking interest in India bcoz they can only bring in good...there is a reason terms like NRI, NRO, NRE are coined...You are getting into legality of status..which is not what i am referring to....love for country has nothing to do with what color of passport you carry...

The kind of talent and money NRI's have is a boon for the country....and they have proved their worth during time of needs...

India Taps Into Its Diaspora - Expatriates Buy Bonds for Love of Country, and 7.75% Interest - NYTimes.com
Vajpayee Government woos NRIs with Resurgent India Bonds, makes impressive gains : ECONOMY - India Today

The same investment would have helped indian economy, created jobs there...no?? and this jargon is a jargon of naive who still live in past...this is global world...no??

you can doubt ...even i have my doubts over the fact that you may abandon India when push comes to shove...however your or my doubt are worthless...question here is what is good for India...On one hand we want FDI's to come like anything and on the other hand we want to discourage NRI's from taking interest in India....this is stupid...the more they feel welcome, the more India progress the more the chance that they will come back or invest in India or for that matter involve in anyway...lot of our best of brains are working outside India...they can be a great value addition should they work for India...no?? and here we are discouraging them from engagement :disagree:

Now one of the buffoon in that debate said that NRI's invest in India to make money...and not love for their country...ridiculous....Indians working in India are not working for money?? Who invests in India irrespective of his status for loss??
Its good that NRIs take interst in India and have mutually beneficial relation with India. The debate was more above whether they are punching about their weight inside India, whether they are going to act as a special interest group, and force govt to give them more favorable terms. They are vociferous and seem to gaining influence inside Indian political parties.
Most panelists did concede NRIs have helped India especially in influencing foreign govts. However the 'investment' is paltry compared to the noise being made.
Most NRI money coming as remittance come from labour class NRI in gulf, they have no influence, they are not the one we are debating about.
The money coming as govt bond/fd is purely because of superior interest which they wont get back home. That helps India no doubt, but there is no need of a resident Indian feel that NRIs are 'helping' India... its a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Its good that NRIs take interst in India and have mutually beneficial relation with India. The debate was more above whether they are punching about their weight inside India, whether they are going to act as a special interest group, and force govt to give them more favorable terms. They are vociferous and seem to gaining influence inside Indian political parties.

There is a term called lobbying...who doesn't do it?? Indian companies in India does that...Indian companies outside india does that...Indian govt. does that...no?? and tell me one things...how many NRI's are there and how many have the weight of lobbying..do some maths and you will see how ridiculous the whole argument is...

Most panelists did concede NRIs have helped India especially in influencing foreign govts. However the 'investment' is paltry compared to the noise being made.

Please quantify that...how did they compare the help with noise?? I can quantify the help and that too when we badly needed it...and you are making it paltry for comments on Social media?? the kind of comments i have seen on this very forum against GOI just because they hate the man who is heading India are much more shameful...anyways let's concentrate on quantifying part...please share your thoughts...

Most NRI money coming as remittance come from labour class NRI in gulf, they have no influence, they are not the one we are debating about.
I am not sure what are we debating then...Money has no color or class...just because remittance comes from labor doesn't mean them as NRI are more Indian then myself...they are out of India in search of greener pastures and so am i...what is the difference...

The money coming as govt bond/fd is purely because of superior interest which they wont get back home. That helps India no doubt, but there is no need of a resident Indian feel that NRIs are 'helping' India... its a mutually beneficial arrangemen

Fair enough...that means savings that indians put in forms of FDs, bonds etc are nothing in terms of helping India...all the money that goes into those IPO's cannot termed as helping India because the motivation is making money...all those start-ups that we have/need...make in India concept is all based on people making money/profits...ease of business etc etc are all mutual beneficial arrangements..right??...then may i plz know how an ordinary Indian helping India??

Look...India needs money...NRI's are a source...No one is going to invest anywhere for making losses..this is true for industrialist sitting in India, outside...poor in India...outside...you/me everyone...i will one again repeat..it is stupid to create boundaries b/w NRI's and Indians...In fact we should all to lure them back into India...or get involved more and more...they have money and are composed of some of our best brains...no??

I left India because as a Brahmin I was being discriminated against - I was deprived of my MBA seat which was given to a lesser qualified person purely based on caste. I also saw people getting jobs based on reservation more and more. While I never actually suffered too much because of these I was quite disgusted at the trend of people getting false certificates to get admissions and jobs. The same politician who preaches against Brahmins is only too willing to issue a false SC/ST certificate to the same Brahmin for money.

Since that time corruption has only become multi-fold worse in India to the point very very few people even think it is out of the ordinary. Fairness and equal treatment has become the exception.

There is really no reason for the country to be this dirty or the people to be this corrupt. The public are wantonly not using their brains and prefer to waste most of their time watching movies, celebrating movie star's birthdays and fighting with each other on behalf of their favorite politician.

I used to think the older generations were unavoidably stuck with the remnants of colonial slavery mindset and that is still true. The younger generations certainly are more liberated in their outlook and certainly a significant proportion of them WANT to break the vicious cycle of slave mind set, poverty, hero worship and corruption. However politics and movie stars are holding them back, at least a majority of the youngsters. And it is quite disgusting to see a portion of them aping the worst of cheap and vulgar western habits - in how they speak, move, dress and communicate.

It is of course impossible to feel fully Indian unless one lives there. I have a lot complaints against India but still marvel at how in spite of these 'disgusting' aspects, such population density, such poverty and such stupidity, the country keeps turning out great performance year after year - whether it be science, technology, economics, art, literature ....As an NRI when I hear of a brilliant Indian kid winning something, that makes me prouder than when I hear of ssuch accomplishment by an American kid of Indian origin.

I also do not think NRIs do any great favor to India when they send money - they, like me, send money to their own families. I wouldn't call that service or philanthropy. But those NRIs who devote their time and expertise to improve India, they are indeed the good ones.

I think that latter group (a subset of medical professionals, academicians and some businessmen) that set of NRIs are people that Indians in India should really respect and be thankful for.

I left India because as a Brahmin I was being discriminated against - I was deprived of my MBA seat which was given to a lesser qualified person purely based on caste. I also saw people getting jobs based on reservation more and more. While I never actually suffered too much because of these I was quite disgusted at the trend of people getting false certificates to get admissions and jobs. The same politician who preaches against Brahmins is only too willing to issue a false SC/ST certificate to the same Brahmin for money.

Since that time corruption has only become multi-fold worse in India to the point very very few people even think it is out of the ordinary. Fairness and equal treatment has become the exception.

There is really no reason for the country to be this dirty or the people to be this corrupt. The public are wantonly not using their brains and prefer to waste most of their time watching movies, celebrating movie star's birthdays and fighting with each other on behalf of their favorite politician.

I used to think the older generations were unavoidably stuck with the remnants of colonial slavery mindset and that is still true. The younger generations certainly are more liberated in their outlook and certainly a significant proportion of them WANT to break the vicious cycle of slave mind set, poverty, hero worship and corruption. However politics and movie stars are holding them back, at least a majority of the youngsters. And it is quite disgusting to see a portion of them aping the worst of cheap and vulgar western habits - in how they speak, move, dress and communicate.

It is of course impossible to feel fully Indian unless one lives there. I have a lot complaints against India but still marvel at how in spite of these 'disgusting' aspects, such population density, such poverty and such stupidity, the country keeps turning out great performance year after year - whether it be science, technology, economics, art, literature ....As an NRI when I hear of a brilliant Indian kid winning something, that makes me prouder than when I hear of ssuch accomplishment by an American kid of Indian origin.

I also do not think NRIs do any great favor to India when they send money - they, like me, send money to their own families. I wouldn't call that service or philanthropy. But those NRIs who devote their time and expertise to improve India, they are indeed the good ones.

I think that latter group (a subset of medical professionals, academicians and some businessmen) that set of NRIs are people that Indians in India should really respect and be thankful for.
may be I should open a thread in which NRIs tell their story of leaving India....

not too much music... generally those music posted in the "what are you listening right now" thread and some i feel at other times... but i watch "graham norton show" ( which would be three or four episodes a month i think ) and interviews of film actors i like ( like amanda seyfried or sonakshi ) or occasionally some british stand-up.

mts mblaze.

a not-so-encouraging thing has happened... reliance is in talks for buying the mts brand which originally was a business run by systema-shyam, a indian collaboration with a russian company... i fear once reliance takes over, the quality will deteriorate.
Hard core communist using a private ISP! Interesting!:P

the answer is a big NO....you don't want to discourage anyone from taking interest in India bcoz they can only bring in good
No need to be arrogant. This nationalism is just to stop more people leaving for abroad. No one expects them to come back. They will most likely live there forever. However we can discourage more people from leaving.

love for country has nothing to do with what color of passport you carry
Good joke. I have no doubts now.

lot of our best of brains are working outside India...they can be a great value addition should they work for India...no??
What generates economy? Its innovation, and immigrants in US are mostly innovating for US and not for thier respective countries of origin.

Well I haven't been in USA long enough to be called NRI yet! :)

Back
Top Bottom