What's new

The Arabian Peninsula and Arab world in photos

The Fortress of Al-Ukhaidir or Abbasid palace of Ukhaider. It is a large, rectangular fortress erected in 775 AD with a unique defensive style. Constructed by the Abbasid caliph's As-Saffah's nephew Isa ibn Musa, Ukhaidir represents architectural innovation in the structures of its courtyards, residences and mosque. Excavations at Ukhaidir were conducted in the late 19th century by Gertrude Bell. Ukhaider was an important stop on regional trade routes, similar to Atshan and Mujdah. The complex comprises a primary hall, a big Iwan, a reception hall and servants quarters. The fortress exemplifies Abbasid architecture in Iraq by demonstrating the "despotic and the pleasure-loving character of the dynasty" in its grand size but cramped living quarters.
This site was added to the UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List on July 7, 2000 in the Cultural category

64777884.jpg

68799114.jpg

Iraq:

The homeland of the friendly and peaceful but struggling Marsh Arabs;

Venice of the Middle-East: The Floating Basket Homes of Iraq
by fabpoponline, on Flickr

pd1781349
by abdullah alfadhel90, on Flickr

Marsh Arab 1 by Jim Birt, on Flickr

Royal Akkadian Head from Nineveh.
Around 2250 B.C and traditionally identified as Sargon of Akkad.
Bronze, h. 36,6 cm.
Destroyed by looters (?) - Royal Akkadian Head from Nineveh (inv.nr. IM 11331) by Hans Ollermann, on Flickr

I found you bro @Frosty

statue_of_abu_jaafar_al_mansour_by_rasoulali-d8dwp2q.jpg

Statue of Abu Jaafar Al Mansour by rasoulali

fardous_mosque_by_rasoulali-d8e4z1q.jpg

Fardous Mosque by rasoulali

Shrine of Imam Ali Bin Aby Taleb (A.S) by Hussain Isa, on Flickr

Prigilms by Hussain Isa, on Flickr

Ancient Ziggurrat of Ur in Southern Iraq.

original.jpg

Last edited:
@al-Hasani show some desert dude

I have done so numerous times from many different Arab countries but on previous pages. It's a thread with many posts.:)

I will do so again. From KSA this time but it could be any other Arab country almost. In KSA you have rocky, sandy, volcanic and mountainous areas in the desert areas as you can see below. Sometimes various landscapes met each other.

KSA;

Zyaan by Mohammed Albuhaisi, on Flickr

a9bed4bfbe67a89926445559c1f40531-jpg.142630

Lines to Reflection by Abdulmajeed Al Juhani, on Flickr

Qassim by Awadh Al Hamzani Photography, on Flickr

الوجه الاخر by A.Aziz Hajjaj عبدالعزيز بن حجاج, on Flickr

kasser
by Dr. A. Alturaigy د.عبدالله الطريقي, on Flickr

Alkasser Lake Zulfi Saudi Arabia

Volcano Madina Saudi Arabia

Riyadh Desert Saudi KSA Spring
by Life-Style, on Flickr

Rub' al-Khali;
1cba5bbe82aaa3bceadcc09330d1cab1-jpg.142193

Also see post 410 in this thread.:coffee: Many other posts too in this thread.

@Dr. Stranglove

@al-Hasani
Oman landscape almost look like an Indian one especially from North East India & Kerala.

Those landscapes that I posted recently from Oman are those of the Dhofar region. For approximately 3-4 months every year this is how the region looks like especially around Salalah. It is due to the monsoon rains.

It is called "Khareef" in Arabic and those monsoon rains also hit parts of Yemen and KSA each year.

Khareef - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In India this obviously hits a much larger area and happens for a longer period of time. Especially in Southern India if I am not wrong. I have heard really good things about Kerala. Most of the Indians in the GCC are from Kerala and this is a region of India that has had very ancient ties with the Arabian Peninsula especially and the remaining ME. After all those regions of India do "only" lie across the Arabian Sea and Indian Ocean. I would love to visit one day as it looks like a beautiful area of India.

Tunisia:

المدخل
by Asia Giannelli, on Flickr

الديكور

من فوق أسطح المنازل

المدينة المنورة

11275185903_7cd51fdf14_b.jpg

Plates, Sidi Bou Said by nonsmokinjoe57, on Flickr

11451621085_1cc038f667_b.jpg

Window by Michael Foley Photography, on Flickr

11274998534_13de7388d3_b.jpg

Enejma Ezzahra10 by nonsmokinjoe57, on Flickr

La Goulette
by jchharris, on Flickr

11275254845_dc9a9baf30_b.jpg

View at Café des Delices 2 by nonsmokinjoe57, on Flickr

Antonine Baths, Carthage
by jchharris, on Flickr

@Malik Alashter @Alshawi1234

Post some quality photos of Iraq or your native cities.

Last edited:
Some of my photos in the old post "froze" so I have now uploaded them on tinypic.com so they should not disappear anymore.

Saudi Arabia:

Some excellent photos of the proud Bedouins of the Rub' al-Khali. One of the most ancient of peoples. Some photos are 40-35 years old photos.

zlvyhe.jpg

2rr9nwp.jpg

wtytdf.jpg

wjgym8.jpg

9qv3mb.jpg

ngr8qw.jpg

2dnold.jpg

jiz34k.jpg

rtf3f7.jpg

24qskyu.jpg

Amazing portraits.

It is said that Bedouin hospitality is second to none in this world. It is famed across the world and has been romanticized in movies, poems, songs etc. Both in the Arab world and elsewhere. They are sometimes blamed for some ills but by heart they are lovely people.

They are also one of the biggest survivors of this world that live in a very harsh environment. Their lifestyle is dying out but I hope that at least some will survive in let's say 50 years of time from now on.

Bedouins are also great musicians, story tellers, poets and artists. Also famed warriors. One of the best in history. They formed the backbone of many Islamic armies throughout the ages.

@Rakan.SA @Ahmed Jo @Full Moon (welcome back bro, do knock on the door occasionally)

Take a look at this thread brothers and contribute with some quality photos if you got any.

Back
Top Bottom