What's new

The Arabian Peninsula and Arab world in photos

Sorry for being ignorant but how do you get direct flickr links ? :D I thought we couldn't get direct links to images,

Good photos anyway, looks like its more then just a big dessert :D

@Kaan

Yes, it's a hybrid.;) Not common in the Arab world or anywhere else I believe but I think that it has its own charm. Considering it not being older than 100 years (if not much younger) I consider that a well-done architectural job. I prefer it much more than some of the futuristic mosques that are built across the world, mainly in the West. Never been a fan of them and doubt that I ever will.

In general the Arab world has a very big diversity when it comes to mosques. Each country has its unique designs and even regions. After all the first mosques were built in the Arab world. Also there are sectarian differences as well. This thread shows some of the differences in the Arab world very clearly.

@Targon

That's because I am a user on Flickr. I used to have photography as one of my interests (still kind of have but not much anymore) and during my travels across the world I used to take many photos. You need to make a user I guess.

Desserts, LOL? Well, there are indeed many big Arab desserts and in general tasty sweets that can make you gain weight easily. We are quite famous for this.

Anyway you were probably referring to deserts.

Are you trolling, just being ignorant or kidding?:what:

Where you seriously ever in doubt about that? We are talking about a huge, huge landmass stretching from Morocco in the West next to the Atlantic Ocean to Oman in the East near the Arabian Sea, Syria in the North to Comoros in the Southern Hemisphere in the Indian Ocean. Let alone the Arab world being the center of the Fertile Crescent, having almost all kind of climate and microclimates, huge mountainous areas, fertile areas and the longest coastline in the Mediterranean by far, some of the longest rivers and the longest (Nile), lakes, biggest palm groves, forests, tropical forests, second largest coral reef in the world (Red Sea) after the Great Barrier Reef etc.:) Let alone us having literary a 30.000 km long coastline in total or something along those lines. Most of the Mediterranean coastline as I mentioned, a large coastline along the Atlantic Ocean, the Red Sea, Gulf, Arabian Sea and Indian Ocean. Hell lot of coastline.

Besides there are dozens kind of deserts and they are mostly very beautiful. Mountainous, rocky, sandy, volcanic, savanna like, steppe like etc. In KSA alone we have all of those types. During the spring those deserts turn into lush greenery with the exception of Rub' al Khali which is the only true "sandy" desert. It's really beautiful.

Something like this:

Green Desert - Explore by TARIQ-M, on Flickr

Green Desert by TARIQ-M, on Flickr
Endless green fields full of different flowers and trees as long as the eye can see. It's quite an amazing transformation.

It feels like being on a African safari. The same animals are just lacking, LOL.

Also in terms of ancient heritage then I would say that our world is unmatched as well. From one of the most if not the most iconic historical landmarks, to the oldest continuously inhabited cities on the planet to the lands where the first real civilizations emerged. There is a lot to be proud of.;)

Anyway it's not a chit-chat thread so kindly ask questions in the "Arab Coffee thread". I want this thread to be strictly about photos and no politics etc. as the forum is full of that.

Qatar:

Doha's Iconic Pearl by WebdropsPro, on Flickr

Souq waqif, Doha, Qatar by jojijoseph54, on Flickr

Doha, Qatar, May 2014 by hectorlo, on Flickr

Doha City Panorama by Keith Yahl, on Flickr

Last edited:
@al-Hasani

You sure give a lot effort to break the sterotypes :D but you're kind of overdoing it in my opinion, giving a column of presentation about how you're great and best about everything to every single comment :D

Of course I was joking but you already know about the Arab=Desert stereotype :)

I don't know man, I'm signed but still can't take direct links, may be its restricted for some photos.

Yeah got it, some people don't allow sharing direct links, stupid Turkish photoghraphers.

Last edited:
@al-Hasani

You sure give a lot effort to break the sterotypes :D but you're kind of overdoing it in my opinion, giving a column of presentation about how you're great and best about everything to every single comment :D

Of course I was joking but you already know about the Arab=Desert stereotype :)

I don't know about such stereotype. It totally depends on which Arab country you are talking about. We are after all talking about a huge geographical area and well over 20 Arab countries. Stereotypes are nothing more than stereotypes as well. Not facts and I tend to prefer facts. Maybe because of my educational background (chemical engineer).

I don't think that stating historical facts is overdoing anything. Nor writing facts. Also I don't know where you get your "best in everything" comment from. Anyway I don't want this thread to turn into a chit-chat thread as I said.

Qatar:

SOUQ WAQIF DOHA QATAR - اسطبل سوق واقف الدوحه قطر by Hanoverian, on Flickr

Sealine Beach Resort by www.iCandy.pw, on Flickr

morning walk by FGPic, on Flickr

The Elusive Oryx by Universal Stopping Point, on Flickr

Qatar National Day 18th December 2009 by arfromqatar, on Flickr

Kuwait:

Alzahraa Mosque [HDR] by Hussain Shah., on Flickr

The Colorful Mosque by DanielKHC, on Flickr

8225290521_234aeacf6e_b.jpg

4880259954_12f5bfc0fe_b.jpg

8233679172_5dbca793f3_b.jpg

Ancient archaeological site on Failaka Island. It was one of the capitals/major towns/ports of the ancient Dilmun Civilization about 3000 BC. It was also Greek at one point. Hence the name.

Failaka Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bronze age temple in Failaka island. Koweit by Thomas Sagory / du-ciel.com, on Flickr

A lot of heritage in Kuwait was destroyed during the Gulf War and a lot of it is yet to be rebuilt. Kuwait was once the place (1960's, 1970's and 1980's) to be in the region but the country has since stagnated a lot.

very beautiful thread

Sayyida Khadija radyAllahu anha in Makkah al Mukarramah

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

khadija+raz+1.jpg

Sayyidah Khadija radyAllahu anha

Nobel%2BLady%2BHazrat%2BKhadija%2528AS%2529.jpg

khadija+raz+4.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom