What's new

The Algerian Armed Forces.

su30alg.jpg

@Ceylal Algeria recently got two new kilo class submarines and you have two older ones is Algeria planning to have two more submarines and I know about 4 meko but what are 3 types 52 A missile cruisers ?
the 2 older were brought up to the same specs of the new one. 2 more submarines were ordered and will be incorporated in 2014 and 2015.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on paramaters:
If you talk about numbers, equipments...then it is Egypt, hand down
If you talk about about experience, integration of different arms, mobility and military projection, then it is Algeria.
And by the time, we incoporate, the 4 MEKO, the 3 types 52 A missile cruisers, the 2 LPD, the 2 new submarines , with the 2 updated landing ships our navy forces will be in a different category all together. Terrorism that we faced, the ongoing cooperation with NATO for the south med security an, our role in the African Union and its demand on our logistical capability brought a lot of changes and we adapted well.

From what I know, it's 2 MEKO from Germany and 3 frigates from China/PRC. That's 5 ships. I don't know of any "cruisers".

LPD must be the one from Italy which might be introduced in 2014 or at least by 2015. I have no knowledge of 2nd LPD though.

Yes, Algeria wants another 2 Improved Kilo-class subs; however Russians are as always delaying, unfortunately. I don't think the deal has been signed yet; however it might be signed this year. Then there is waiting, and question of when to expect those two subs to be delivered.

Terrorism that Algeria faces today is thanks to NATO. After destruction of Libya and now Mali, the borders of Algeria has been "compromised" to some extent. This is because of the U.S. and France, so I wouldn't trust those two countries, ever.

They will "cooperate" with you one day, and bomb you the day after. Remember, Morocco is an ally of the U.S. Thanks to the U.S., Morocco has 24 F-16 Block-52 fighters.

Algeria has been forced to move thousands of troops away from the Moroccan border, because of the unrest i Libya and Mali which the U.S. and France created.

From what I know, it's 2 MEKO from Germany and 3 frigates from China/PRC. That's 5 ships. I don't know of any "cruisers".
2 MEKO built in Germany and 2 in Algeria
52 + tons frigate can be classified as a mini cruiser

LPD must be the one from Italy which might be introduced in 2014 or at least by 2015. I have no knowledge of 2nd LPD though.
2nd LPD will be built in Algeria

Yes, Algeria wants another 2 Improved Kilo-class subs; however Russians are as always delaying, unfortunately. I don't think the deal has been signed yet; however it might be signed this year. Then there is waiting, and question of when to expect those two subs to be delivered.
The deal has been signed, the first of the two is being built as we speak and the second just after...These two will be of the AMUR class with AIP's.

Terrorism that Algeria faces today is thanks to NATO. After destruction of Libya and now Mali, the borders of Algeria has been "compromised" to some extent. This is because of the U.S. and France, so I wouldn't trust those two countries, ever.
Terrorisme in Algeria pre-date NATO intervention in Lybia...It was financed , armed and supported by Muslim countries and Iran who were behind the Lybia, Tunisia, Egypt, Yemen and now Syria. We defeated Islam fundamentalism despite the world arm embargo that was imposed on us...We have 7 borders that we need to secure..The Lybian saga made it worse, put some strain on our military forces, but in overall our borders are secure.

They will "cooperate" with you one day, and bomb you the day after. Remember, Morocco is an ally of the U.S. Thanks to the U.S., Morocco has 24 F-16 Block-52 fighters.
No body knows better NATO than we do...We fought it when we fought the French..They had a test of our strength and determination in Lybia...We kept their planes at bay form our skies and shot a British Chinook with 32 of their SF.
Morroco has never been a threat to Algeria, with or without their F16 . Our main threat is eastward.

Algeria has been forced to move thousands of troops away from the Moroccan border, because of the unrest i Libya and Mali which the U.S. and France created.
??? our troops have never been concentrated in Moroccan border. Unrest in Mali, Lybia, Tunisia and Niger, has changed our military deployments and troop configuration.

The deal has been signed, the first of the two is being built as we speak and the second just after...These two will be of the AMUR class with AIP's.

Terrorisme in Algeria pre-date NATO intervention in Lybia...It was financed , armed and supported by Muslim countries and Iran who were behind the Lybia, Tunisia, Egypt, Yemen and now Syria. We defeated Islam fundamentalism despite the world arm embargo that was imposed on us...We have 7 borders that we need to secure..The Lybian saga made it worse, put some strain on our military forces, but in overall our borders are secure.

No body knows better NATO than we do...We fought it when we fought the French..They had a test of our strength and determination in Lybia...We kept their planes at bay form our skies and shot a British Chinook with 32 of their SF.
Morroco has never been a threat to Algeria, with or without their F16 . Our main threat is eastward.

??? our troops have never been concentrated in Moroccan border. Unrest in Mali, Lybia, Tunisia and Niger, has changed our military deployments and troop configuration.
sir the frigate you are getting from china is exactly what we got those new 4 frigates
off Pakistan Navy and are getting 4 more and that is a light frigate not a cruiser

sir the frigate you are getting from china is exactly what we got those new 4 frigates
off Pakistan Navy and are getting 4 more and that is a light frigate not a cruiser
5200 + tons can be considered as cruisers....All the cruisers are not 12,000 tons plus
408193_666830820010291_54497087_n.jpg

? our troops have never been concentrated in Moroccan border. Unrest in Mali, Lybia, Tunisia and Niger, has changed our military deployments and troop configuration.

Yes, another 2 MEKO will be built in Algeria, but that is several years down the road. We need to look at what lies ahead (2013-2015).

2 MEKO won't be ready until 2015. Maybe one will be ready in 2015, and another one in 2016. I feel it takes too much time until the deliveries are made.

My second point is; Tigr-class corvettes from Russia are clearly cancelled, since Algeria has ordered 3 frigates from China. These frigates will be delivered in 2014 and 2015 respectivly.

I think they are 2.800 tonnes each, which classifies them as frigates, or even "light" frigates.

My third point; I have tried to find the info about the submarine deal, but I haven't found out anything yet. So please do post a link, which clearly states that the deal has been signed. The only info I am able to find is that Algeria has sent a request to Russia for another two Improved Kilo-class subs. It doesn't say anything about Amur-class.

So my questio is; when/if the deal has been signed, when can Algeria expect both subs to be delivered? I am guessing at least Three (3) years, which is once again in my opinion to long to wait.

My final point; 2nd LPD might be built in Algeria, but the 1st one is not ready to be delivered before 2015. That means four (4) year after the deal was signed. If Algeria builds the 2nd LPD at the same speed, then the 2nd LPD won't be ready until 2019, which is once again, six (6) years down the road.

So my opinion on this is that Algeria is vunerable right now in between 2013-2014, and I don't like that situation. It is clear that The Algerian Navy will get great ships in 2015, but I am worried about what might happen by the end of 2014 in regards to the presidential elections that will be held in April 2014.

I definitely agree in everything you said in regards to NATO/French Imperialists/Saudi Wahhabis, and there are clearly some countries there in the region that would NOT like to see The Algerian Navy receive those ships in 2015. They would like to see Algeria destroyed in the same way they did with Libya, and in the same way they are doing with Syria right now.

My additional question is; what's going on with the Air Force? Why aren't there any new contracts for new fighters? Algeria should have ordered JF-17 Thunder to replace MiG-25 and MiG-29, while Su-34 should have been ordered to replace Su-24.

I also believe Algeria should buy more Flankers, in addition to those 44 they already have. It's strange that no agreements has been reached yet to increase the number of Flankers, or to replace MiG-25/MiG-29 and Su-24 with fighters and fighter-bombers such as JF-17 and Su-34.

Yes, another 2 MEKO will be built in Algeria, but that is several years down the road. We need to look at what lies ahead (2013-2015).

2 MEKO won't be ready until 2015. Maybe one will be ready in 2015, and another one in 2016. I feel it takes too much time until the deliveries are made.

My second point is; Tigr-class corvettes from Russia are clearly cancelled, since Algeria has ordered 3 frigates from China. These frigates will be delivered in 2014 and 2015 respectivly.

I think they are 2.800 tonnes each, which classifies them as frigates, or even "light" frigates.

My third point; I have tried to find the info about the submarine deal, but I haven't found out anything yet. So please do post a link, which clearly states that the deal has been signed. The only info I am able to find is that Algeria has sent a request to Russia for another two Improved Kilo-class subs. It doesn't say anything about Amur-class.

So my questio is; when/if the deal has been signed, when can Algeria expect both subs to be delivered? I am guessing at least Three (3) years, which is once again in my opinion to long to wait.

My final point; 2nd LPD might be built in Algeria, but the 1st one is not ready to be delivered before 2015. That means four (4) year after the deal was signed. If Algeria builds the 2nd LPD at the same speed, then the 2nd LPD won't be ready until 2019, which is once again, six (6) years down the road.

So my opinion on this is that Algeria is vunerable right now in between 2013-2014, and I don't like that situation. It is clear that The Algerian Navy will get great ships in 2015, but I am worried about what might happen by the end of 2014 in regards to the presidential elections that will be held in April 2014.

I definitely agree in everything you said in regards to NATO/French Imperialists/Saudi Wahhabis, and there are clearly some countries there in the region that would NOT like to see The Algerian Navy receive those ships in 2015. They would like to see Algeria destroyed in the same way they did with Libya, and in the same way they are doing with Syria right now.

My additional question is; what's going on with the Air Force? Why aren't there any new contracts for new fighters? Algeria should have ordered JF-17 Thunder to replace MiG-25 and MiG-29, while Su-34 should have been ordered to replace Su-24.

I also believe Algeria should buy more Flankers, in addition to those 44 they already have. It's strange that no agreements has been reached yet to increase the number of Flankers, or to replace MiG-25/MiG-29 and Su-24 with fighters and fighter-bombers such as JF-17 and Su-34.
Algeria should at least have 200 fighter jets and most modern ones and for navy 10 frigates and some corvettes and submarines by the way I have few questions for @Ceylal too first right now how many frigates are ordered and meko are they four coming or two are being bought and are there missile boats in Algerian navy

In shape only! Ours will be armed differently than yours based on the specification of the Algerian navy..and their tonnage may be a little higher than the one built for Pakistan...That the reason I used cruiser instead of Frigate.

]
The Tigr were cancelled because deemed outclassed by the other ships in its class.
The 52 A being built by China have a ton over 5200 tons , some sources said close to 8000, that the reason I used the term cruiser to describe them...And I can't confirm this, knowing the close relation between China and Algeria and their cult of secrecy, that number of ships may be five...

I think the time factor was a consideration but not an important one, since we don't have an immediate threat, beside the insecurity on all of our borders and for some of the Aqmi elements running loose..All this is contained for the time being..
I don't think that election or the actual situation of the president health issue had any impact on the internal security or the security of the citizens...Algeria can go on, as it is, without having a president to April 2014, without problems...Algerian have grown in the last black decade as we call it...And they will rally around the army, should harms come the country..

All these planes that you names have gone a thorough modenisation and are good for another 20 years. An MRCA is in the offing and will be attended by several aircraft builders.

It does not mean that nothing is planned or deal reached...The Algerian defense apparatus is very mum about acquisitions, contracts signed...most of the time are found years after the fact...So we learned to read between the lines and size the importance of foreign dignitaries visiting Algeria thru pictures...like they say, pictures speak volumes...

Algeria should at least have 200 fighter jets and most modern ones and for navy 10 frigates and some corvettes and submarines by the way I have few questions for @Ceylal too first right now how many frigates are ordered and meko are they four coming or two are being bought and are there missile boats in Algerian navy

The number of fighter of the AAF is adequate for now. To maintain a capable airforce is very expensive...Number is not that important in modern war, it is the quality, the technology, the training, and the prepardness that count the most. We can field a thousand planes, does that will make us safer? certainly not, it take time to built a viable and performing airforce...Kaddaffy had over 400 jets, what good it did to him when he needed it...none...like they say...clothes do not make a preacher...
For the other questions, go some pages back...we have discussed it...

@Ceylal You definitely need to replace your older jets not MIG-29 but other jets like SU-24 and Mig-25 and other jets because even with up gradation they can't match most modern planes

Back
Top Bottom