What's new

Thar coal mining project in Pakistan | Updates & Discussions.

from: Test burn at Thar coal gasification project on 19th | Newspaper | DAWN.COM

ISLAMABAD: The first test burn at the underground coal gasification (UCG) project in Tharparkar will be carried out on September 19 in the presence of four experts from Uzbekistan.

The chairman of the project, Dr Samar Mubarakmand, told the National Assembly’s standing committee on petroleum and natural resources at its meeting here on Tuesday that although his team of scientists and engineers had expertise in metallurgy, mining, testing, blasting and other relevant fields, the Uzbek experts had been invited to oversee and ensure success of the test burn.

He said Uzbekistan was successfully operating a UCG project near Tashkent.

He said the Thar project would start producing 100MW electricity from December 2013 and its capacity would be gradually increased. “If the project is successful it will produce electricity at Rs2 per unit.”

The committee was informed that the total cost of the project was $115 million. An amount of $9.2 million was released in 2010-11 and $8 million allocated for the current fiscal year.

Dr Mubarakmand said civil works, installation of compressors and gasifier had been completed, adding that the process involved over 36,000 feet of drilling and 18,000 feet of steel-casing.

However, Sindh Coal and Energy Secretary Muhammad Younis Dagha said there was no technical study or verification of the claims made by Dr Mubarakmand. He said the UCG projects launched in Australia and the United States had been shut down. Besides, Chinese and Uzbeks are not producing electricity from their UCG projects.

“There are also chances of severe underground water pollution.” The committee chairman Talib Hussain Nakai asked Dr Mubarakmand to clarify the points raised by Mr Dagha.

Dr Mubarakmand said water in Thar was very saline and unusable for any purpose. Besides, he added, there was a 35-metre solid rock layer between water and the coal-bed.

Officials of the Geological Survey of Pakistan said if the UCG pilot project succeeded it could be taken up in nine other areas of the country.

The committee was informed that projects relating to mining and electricity generation from coal would not be shelved even if the UCG project succeeded.

The committee was informed that Block-I had been allocated to the Chinese Global Mining (CMG) company which planned to mine five million tons of coalfield a year to produce 900MW of electricity, to be gradually increased to 2,100MW.

Australian Continental Energy had submitted a proposal for mining six million tons of coal annually and increasing it to 18 million tons. The company intends to generate 1,100MW in five years, 2,000MW in 10 years and 3,000MW in 15 years.

Despite concerns expressed by Nawab Yousuf Talpur over the project, the committee gave a go-ahead to the UCG pilot project.

Sindh Coal and Energy Secretary Muhammad Younis Dagha & Nawab Yousuf Talpur.
When Mangla & Tarbala Dam built, Sindh Resist.
When we talk about Kala Bagh Dam , Sindh Resist.
When we talk about Ther Coal, Sindh Resist.
What is this ?

What is this ?

I just reported the news story. What do you think?

^
I am not blaming you.

I know that, I am not saying that either.

The exploitation of natural resources is not a simple task, and includes political considerations such as those that you point out above, in addition to financial and technical aspects.

Political resistance is viable until the thresh hold is broken. The sindhis have had a problem with everything, as well as baloch leaders. They always resist any major project. They should know that certain sacrifices are always given, and you have to weigh the Pros and cons every time. As Dr. Samar said, there is a 35 m rock layer, so it should be fine. I US and Australia have not done it, so what, why should we not go ahead?

I heard they are sub-quality coal reserves. Can anyone confirm?

What is this ?

It only looks like Sindh resisting because you are from Punjab. you are not seeing things from their perspective. For the sake of our future, we must not make a Punjabistan, but should all work together as Pakistan.

P - Punjab
A- Afghania
K- Kashmir
i
S- Sindh
TAN- Balochistan

It only looks like Sindh resisting because you are from Punjab. you are not seeing things from their perspective. For the sake of our future, we must not make a Punjabistan, but should all work together as Pakistan.

P - Punjab
A- Afghania
K- Kashmir
i
S- Sindh
TAN- Balochistan

And how will this exactly make it Punjabistan?

Thar coal guarantees energy security: Dr Samar

ISLAMABAD: Scientist Dr. Samar Mubarakmand has said that only Thar Coal can provide guaranteed long term energy security to Pakistan’s industrial competitiveness, due to its cost effectiveness.

He stated this while briefing the National Assembly Standing Committee on Inter Provincial Coordination, which met held here on Friday under the chairmanship of Mir Ahmedan Khan Bugti.

Dr. Samar Mubarakmand informed the Committee that the current energy crisis was causing Rs 230 billion loss and making 400,000 people jobless.

According to PEPCO “our energy demand by the year 2030 will be more than 100,000 MW “.

He said that the total power generation capacity of the country on coal based was 2.27 per cent while India had 64.6 per cent . In this situation, Thar Coal would play a pivotal role in meeting this energy crisis both in long and short term. The Coal should be declared a matter of national security of strategic important so that donors and multilateral invest more, he added.

He said that Thar lignite coal reserves were 175 billion tons spread over 9600 Sq.Km, having generation potential of 100,000 MW consuming 536 million tones / year. These reserves are equivalent to 50 billion tone of oil, which are more than Iran and Saudi Arabia combined oil reserves or over 2000 TCF of gas (42 times greater than total gas reserves discovered in Pakistan so far).

He said that four blocks were available for investment in Thar. The Thar project for 100 MW was planned for mid 2012. Gasifier has been designed, major equipment ordered and technical team is mobilized. Drilling is in full swing, he said.

After the presentation, the committe members appreciated Dr Samar Mubarakmand and supported his project.

Thar coal guarantees energy security: Dr Samar | Sci-tech | DAWN.COM

Thar coal, energy projects in motion

MIRPURKHAS: The work on Thar Coal and Energy Project is in full swing as out of four, the study on two blocks of the project has been completed and the study on remaining two is being carried out with rapid pace.

The execution work on the project from two companies is expected to be carried out by next June 2012 while the project would start power generation by 2013-2014, Sindh Secretary for Coal and Energy Department Younus Dhaga informed the official media here the other day.

He informed that number of national and international companies have expressed their interests of investment on other blocks of the project.

He said that after power generation, Thar Coal and Energy Project would not only fulfil the energy requirement of the country but gradually it would enable to export in future.

When asked about taking more time in generation, the Secretary said that actually the coal reserves are in depth varying from 100 to 200 meters requiring time for excavation and removal of waste.

He said that this project would not only fulfil the energy requirement of the country but also create job opportunities and other business activities particularly in Tharparkar and generally in Sindh province and subsequently raise purchasing power of the people.He informed that a number of schemes of laying infrastructure are in the way to make the project successful.

Giving details of some major schemes, he informed that PC-I for construction-reconstruction of road from Karachi to Thatta, Badin, Mitthi and Islamkot with its estimated cost of Rs. 4.5 billion have been submitted for approval and it will be approved shortly. Similarly, he said another scheme for disposal of waste water from excavated coal mines has been approved with estimated cost of Rs. 3.5 billion.

He said PC-I of another major scheme of laying transmission line from Islamkot to Matiari prepared by Water and Power Development Authority have also been submitted for approval and it is expected that work on the said scheme would be started in December 2011. Responding to the question about utilization of effluent of L.B.O.D in Thar Coal Energy Project, he said that study on this scheme is in progress and execution work could be started in February 2011.
He said that according to the scheme the water coming through L.B.O.D. would be utilized for Thar Coal and Energy Development Project after its treatment at the point of store.

He said that this water would be stored at RD-362 of L.B.O.D. near Nabisir where it would be treated and supplied to Islamkot. He concluded that the project would be proved a project of prosperity for the country.

Thar coal, energy projects in motion

I wish the project good luck, but in all honesty, I think the claims made by Dr. Mand are UNREALISTIC.

Assalam alaikum

the pilot project was supposed to start working in march or april then it was september ( i think ) now it is 2012.

Vcheng may be the figure r a bit exaggerated but atleast we wanna see some progress if any

TARIQ

Assalam alaikum

the pilot project was supposed to start working in march or april then it was september ( i think ) now it is 2012.

Vcheng may be the figure r a bit exaggerated but atleast we wanna see some progress if any

TARIQ

Of course I encourage any and all progress with this important project. But equally importantly, the expectations must be realistic, and at present, they do not appear to be.

Back
Top Bottom