What's new

Thar coal mining project in Pakistan | Updates & Discussions.

yeh lo .. parh lo . jis ki mujhe umeed theeee

KARACHI:
Sindh Chief Minister’s Adviser on Planning and Development Kaiser Bengali made a surprise announcement on Saturday, saying the government would not be able to generate electricity from Thar coal till 2016.
This negated the Sindh chief minister’s claims that the government would start producing power from coal this month.
Talking to the media, Bengali said the government was taking measures to speed up the process of generating electricity and in this connection infrastructure like roads and electricity connections was being established. “We have inked agreements on coal extraction, but it will not be possible to even generate one unit of electricity before 2016,” he said.
Separately, a meeting of the Thar Coal and Energy Board was held at the Chief Minister’s House. Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah chaired the meeting where Federal Finance Minister Abdul Hafeez Shaikh was also present.
Shah said the government wanted to accelerate the pace of work on Thar coal and energy projects, which was essential for the progress and prosperity of the country, particularly Sindh.
He said President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani also desired that full attention was paid to this important project, which would also generate huge employment opportunities.
Convener of the evaluation committee on international competitive bidding for Thar coal blocks, Muhammad Zubair Motiwala, gave a presentation to the meeting. The committee was constituted in the board’s last meeting.
He explained the evaluation process and highlighted proposals of different companies, based on their financial strength, mining capabilities and project timelines. The board, on the basis of recommendations of the committee, offered coal blocks for bidding to various local and international companies.
Meanwhile, the meeting was also informed about the status of development projects including Makhi-Farash water supply scheme, a transmission network, a railway link, effluent disposal, etc.
Finance Minister Hafeez Shaikh assured the board that the federal government would provide all possible assistance and funds for these important projects.
The board was also given presentation by Ernst & Young, the international consultant engaged by the government on the proposed royalty model for large-scale coal mining.
Published in The Express Tribune, May 15th, 2011

But where are the 50,000 MW for 500 years and millions of liters of cheap diesel per year? :P

Other than all the hoopla and media controversies..let face the light of truth..

1. Pakistan has no reserves of coal..they are infact lignite..a brown material dubbed as early form of coal.
2. Lignite as fuel is pretty much useless and the fact that its difficult to mine in Pakistan makes it futher expensive.
3. Only way these lignite reserves can be put to use is by underground gassification. Lignite is burned in absence of air and inject with steam. However, if underground water table is high then steam inject is not necessary. Under high temperatures and pressure the lignite undergoes steam cracking and dissassociates into syn-gas a mixture of CO, CO2, H2 and CH4.
4. Large scale gassification of lignite is damn expensive, challenging, unpredictable and cannot turn magic over night..there are many challenges to encounter.

Dear Pakistanis I want to share a link with you.

Coal Gas is not a myth anymore, we are making Coal Gasifiers to convert Coal to Gas and use it for the crippled Industry who have no oprion other than closing down without Sui Gas.

search words Gasifier Pakistan, kinetixautomation lahore

thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Pakistanis I want to share a link with you.

Coal Gas is not a myth anymore, we are making Coal Gasifiers to convert Coal to Gas and use it for the crippled Industry who have no oprion other than closing down without Sui Gas.

search words Gasifier Pakistan, kinetixautomation lahore

thank you.

I know for a fact that descon engenearing .co made a proposal of 4 mil $ for coal gas project it was a pilot project for GOP and the dam GOP said they dont have 4 how abt 3 mil and than spent it all on foren trips

Topic relates to coal reserves and our reverand intellectual paky bros talk of gold reserves that their big brains failed to extract and finally handed over to some third party extraction corp.
Now back to topic. Third largest reserves of coal are in PAkistan. Howcome, the existing coal fired power plants arent working, ie. they were established by the british and were never maintained, for instance, the lakhra coal power plant.
Now, why accuse former Govt. of Musharraf for ignoring power sector. He did whatever he could to develop the sector. Backed power gen companies to refurbish coal plants.
Then how come,,,,,, we don;t see any fully developed coal power plant?

Its because..... our highly nationalist Chief Justice of Pakistan gave stay orders and destroyed power sector corporations. Why did he do so? Perhaps because certain industrial groups were backed by Musharraf and co.
But where's the nationalist spirit? Recently, Walters Power was fined by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudry, for failing to fulfil certain commitments. CJP looks like a pretty active guy when it comes to destroying power sector. A lot more to say, but....... my heart sinks.... :(

-
Pilot Project:-
(Part-1)
-
(Part-II)
-
-
(Part-III)
-
-
Also see post#181 by Zaki FX...

^^^ Lots of gas and hot air, but NO RESULTS so far!

Rs900 million for Thar coal power project​

ISLAMABAD: Finance Minister Abdul Hafeez Shaikh said on Thursday that Rs900 million had been approved for the Thar coal gasification project to generate 100MW of electricity.

He made the announcement after a meeting attended by Minister of Petroleum and Natural Resources Dr Asim Hussain and Dr Samar Mubarakmand, Member (Science and Technology) of the Planning Commission.

Dr Mubarakmand said at the meeting that success of the Thar coal project would encourage investment by leading international companies dealing with development of underground coal. According to him, several companies had shown interest in the project.

He said the first phase of the project would require $105 million for opening a letter of credit for the import of machinery and equipment. The project would be launched in the second week of September.

In April 2009, the Central Development Working Party had approved two projects; ‘Creation of new processing facilities (for production of coal gas by underground coal gasification)’ and ‘Creation of new processing facilities (for handling and purification of the gas)’ at a cost of Rs494.45 million and Rs490.48 million, respectively.

Dr Mubarakmand said work on the projects was in progress and the first 50MW gasifier had been completed.

He said no funds were allocated during the last financial year for a ‘2×50 MW power plant from Syngas (Integrated Gasification Combined Cycle)’. And in the current Public Sector Development Programme, only Rs5 million was allocated against a demand of Rs5,703 million.

The project to cost Rs8,898.7 million, with a foreign exchange component of Rs5,847.3 million, had been approved by the Executive Committee of National Economic Council on Dec 9 last year.

The scientist said the finance minister had now accepted the demand of Rs900 million for machinery and equipment keeping in view project’s importance and financial viability.

Rs900 million for Thar coal power project | Newspaper | DAWN.COM

^^^ I wish the project well, but I will retain my well-founded skepticism for now.

I think I will take the word of Dr.Samar Mubarak,a renowned scientist over any of the skeptics here. It takes years to completely make operational a project the size of Thar Coal.

Back
Top Bottom