Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Live
5895d687890741f79a7bddc54cc9405a_18.jpg

NEWS /MIDDLE EAST
upload_2020-7-10_22-10-41.jpeg

UN warns 10 million face acute food shortages in Yemen
World Food Programme says it needs $737m to avert a famine in the war-torn country.

4 hours ago
Nearly 10 million people are facing acute food shortages in Yemen and urgent action is needed to avert a famine, the United Nations's World Food Programme (WFP) has said.

Ad
The WFP said on Friday it needed $737m to the end of the year to keep its aid programme running in the war-torn country, which is gripped by what the UN calls the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

"The humanitarian situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate, pushing people to the edge," WFP spokeswoman Elisabeth Byrs told a virtual briefing in Geneva.

"We must act now. If we wait for famine to be declared, it will already be too late as people will already be dying."

She said the famine warning signs were already present.

"Yemen is facing a crisis on multiple fronts. Imports have declined, food prices are soaring, the riyal is in freefall, and foreign currency reserves are nearing total depletion," said Byrs.

The spokeswoman said more than 20 million people were food insecure in Yemen, of which 13 million receive humanitarian food assistance.

Meanwhile two million children, plus a million pregnant or breastfeeding women, require treatment for acute malnutrition.

Byrs said WFP distributions were down to once every other month in the north of the country and the UN agency hoped it would not have to do the same elsewhere.

Yemen's war between Houthi rebels and pro-government troops escalated in March 2015, when a Saudi-led military coalition intervened against the rebels who control large parts of Yemen including the capital, Sanaa.

Tens of thousands have been killed, an estimated four million displaced and 80 percent of the country's 29 million people are dependent on aid for survival.

The coronavirus pandemic is also raging unchecked in the country.

The UN raised only about half the required $2.41bn in aid for Yemen at a June donor conference co-hosted by Saudi Arabia.

upload_2020-7-10_22-10-41.jpeg

THE STREAM

Is the world abandoning Yemen?

dc1df5083dbb4c038f6c8a8e3b75d9fc_18.jpg

SOURCE: AFP NEWS AGENCY

Have your say.Give us feedback.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Project Force: Could the world survive a nuclear winter?
The consequences of a nuclear war would extend far beyond the blast itself, killing millions of people across the globe.

02 July 2020 GMT+3
Are K-pop and BTS fans a new force for social justice?
K-pop fans are using the same social media tactics they employ to support music stars for social justice activism.

01 July 2020 GMT+3
Palestine and Israel: Mapping an annexation
What will the maps of Palestine and Israel look like if Israel illegally annexes the Jordan Valley on July 1?

26 June 2020 GMT+3

© 2003 -

Al Jazeera Media Network

We use cookies to give you the best possible experience. Learn more about how we use cookies. By clicking ‘Accept’ you agree to these cookies. To decline click here.
https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/...ute-food-shortages-yemen-200710135744483.html

Saudi and UAE should support and enable other Arab states, not damage them. Their rulers need slight Arabization to understand this.

This campaign in Yemen does not aid the cause of Arabization.

Their rulers need slight Arabization to understand this

they have too much arabization.. thats a problem

their rulers need to have mercy and goodness in their hearts.. a warm heart and not one of a cold black stone..

a huge chunk of being human is needed..

we have a saying the leaders are a mirror of the population.. so I say their folk need to change too

yemnis should stop fighting proxies of others and lay down weapons became civilized country and build a home .

yemnis should stop fighting proxies of others and lay down weapons became civilized country and build a home .

lol thats palestinian logic.. why give up the comfort to a unknown future wich has a huge chance to be worser than now.. :)

but some people are not like that and fight even in poverty at least there is honor in defending yourself

They don't

Arab world has some leadership issues, that doesn't mean terrorist Erdogan is wanted with his nose in these matters.

erdogan would be a gift of the heavens for arab world if he would rule them.. they should be than thankfull to call him leader.. it would be like the moon enlighting the darkness for the arab world.. they would be covered than in honor and noor!

lol thats palestinian logic.. why give up the comfort to a unknown future wich has a huge chance to be worser than now.. :)

but some people are not like that and fight even in poverty at least there is honor in defending yourself

erdogan would be a gift of the heavens for arab world if he would rule them.. they should be than thankfull to call him leader.. it would be like the moon enlighting the darkness for the arab world.. they would be covered than in honor and noor!
no one else is suffering proxy run by masters sitting in own countries enjoying good life . yemnis are suffering . next to them its oman what if they follow oman foot steps and having good future ? fighting each other making dozens of groups and fighting for masters on payment is not something called honor sir .

those whom are slaves or gulf arabs and those whom are slaves of ISIS -iran-uae -usa how can be its honor ?

Yes, throw out all these outsiders. Last time i was there, it was beyond gut wrenching Imran. To be holding a drip and seeing a mother have nothing for even hope. For many months, i continued to have nightmares. For what KSA/UAE or even Iran has put this poor country thru - even my faith in God was questioned.

Monkey salman and Shaiks in UAE and mullah brigade must be charged with genocide and locked away if not worse. if I had my way, take a shoe and beat the shit out of these saudi monkeys.

Maybe you should move back to your village then, what is it Kayseri or Konya

Yes, throw out all these outsiders. Last time i was there, it was beyond gut wrenching Imran. To be holding a drip and seeing a mother have nothing for even hope. For many months, i continued to have nightmares. For what KSA/UAE or even Iran has put this poor country thru - even my faith in God was questioned.

Monkey salman and Shaiks in UAE and mullah brigade must be charged with genocide and locked away if not worse. if I had my way, take a shoe and beat the shit out of these saudi monkeys.
people can not digest when i use word ALL . they think i point finger on them . in fact i want all outsiders should leave this country UN forces should move for peace unarmed this country remove every automatic weapon from this country and make it peaceful .an elected gov will be last solution . how can people survive when dozens of groups fighting each other for foreign countries ? these countries have made yemen play ground but its first failure of yemnis themselves . no one can buy you unless you ready to be sale yourself . sectarian sh1t destroyed half of ME already .

people can not digest when i use word ALL . they think i point finger on them . in fact i want all outsiders should leave this country UN forces should move for peace unarmed this country remove every automatic weapon from this country and make it peaceful .an elected gov will be last solution . how can people survive when dozens of groups fighting each other for foreign countries ? these countries have made yemen play ground but its first failure of yemnis themselves . no one can buy you unless you ready to be sale yourself . sectarian sh1t destroyed half of ME already .
Absolutely, Saudis/GCC/Iran are all with bloody hands. They do not want nonsense in their own yard and use poor country like this to play out their game. Uk and all countries are complicit for aiding and abetting KSA -- everyone knows what is transpiring ... monies count at the end and they start the supply of weapons. Ultimately it is the poor who continue to suffer.

no one else is suffering proxy run by masters sitting in own countries enjoying good life . yemnis are suffering . next to them its oman what if they follow oman foot steps and having good future ? fighting each other making dozens of groups and fighting for masters on payment is not something called honor sir .

those whom are slaves or gulf arabs and those whom are slaves of ISIS -iran-uae -usa how can be its honor ?

yemen is nothing more than foreign intervention.. its not like iran is dropping thousands of tonnes of bombs.. yeminis are fighting and somehow out of nowhere on the ground foreigners popped out from africa and other arab states and organisations like al qaida popped out.. it was not something common to yemen.. unlike syria there is no real numbers of iranians and their proxies fighting in yemen..

I am not pro shia yeminis and I am not pro qaida saudis I just stated out the will of the yeminis to fight against the evil tyrants

Maybe you should move back to your village then, what is it Kayseri or Konya

sir I wont say it.. :)

after corona maybe :)

Absolutely, Saudis/GCC/Iran are all with bloody hands. They do not want nonsense in their own yard and use poor country like this to play out their game. Uk and all countries are complicit for aiding and abetting KSA -- everyone knows what is transpiring ... monies count at the end and they start the supply of weapons. Ultimately it is the poor who continue to suffer.
both sides are pumping money weapons and supplies sir . yemni warlords are enjoying trucks filled with cash and weapons . only poor suffer . country is deep mess because of lack of unity and harmony between yemnis . you may well aware its very easy to manipulate and ignorant mind on the name of sect and religion then an educated one . how many years schools are closed now ?country needs full surgery now . this has been told many times proxies masters will never suffer . in recently we see USA punished sulemani otherwise in past everyone just burn a country and go home relax .

both sides are pumping money weapons and supplies sir . yemni warlords are enjoying trucks filled with cash and weapons . only poor suffer . country is deep mess because of lack of unity and harmony between yemnis . you may well aware its very easy to manipulate and ignorant mind on the name of sect and religion then an educated one . how many years schools are closed now ?country needs full surgery now . this has been told many times proxies masters will never suffer . in recently we see USA punished sulemani otherwise in past everyone just burn a country and go home relax .
yes, the same also in afghanistan as well.

They don't

Arab world has some leadership issues, that doesn't mean terrorist Erdogan is wanted with his nose in these matters.

Arabs just suffer from an inferiority complex when it comes to the Turks...

9/11 was done by Arabs...ISIS is made up of Arabs... So who's calling who Terrorist?

Back
Top Bottom