What's new

Thailand Purchase Three Chinese-Built Submarines

Evenbifbatbthe end, Thaialnd do not buy subs frok China, it is this kind of diplomacy that had been making ASEAN peaceful. By having peaceful south, China can benefit from this peace. Tilting too much to 1 end, and the balance broken.

By Michelle FlorCruz@mflorcruzm.florcruz@ibtimes.comon
July 16 2015 2:24 PM EDT

thai-navy.jpg

A deal between Thailand and China involving a submarine has been put on hold, the Thai navy announced Thursday. Pictured: Navy seamen stood guard on their ship from the Royal Thai Navy base, in Sattahip, Chonburi province, east of Bangkok, Sept. 10, 2010. Reuters/ Chaiwat Subprasom

The Royal Thai Navy announced Thursday that the government has suspended action on the high-profile one billion dollar submarine deal with China, which was still seeking final approval from the cabinet. The decision to put the deal on hold came after domestic and international experts expressed concern over how the deal with Beijing would affect Bangkok’s relations with the U.S.

"We will wait for now and not introduce it to the cabinet for approval,” Prawit Wongsuwan, the deputy prime minister and defense minister, said, according to a report by China’s state-run Global Times. Wongsuwan reportedly also added that the Royal Thai Navy (RTN) would continue to conduct research on the suitability of the deal and weigh the costs and benefits to the country before finalizing the deal, according to Thailand’s Public Broadcasting Service.

“It’s clear that the U.S. definitely does not want to see any closer cooperation between China and Thailand, especially in terms of military and defense,” Li Haidong, a professor at the China Foreign Affairs University told the Global Times, who added that it is “understandable and predictable” that Thailand reacted this way because the U.S. diplomacy was a very important priority.

Historically, Bangkok has been a crucial ally for the U.S. in the Asia Pacific region, a relationship that is reciprocated by Thailand. However, China’s growing status as a global economic, political and military power has made Beijing an appealing regional partner to Thailand.

Now, bilateral ties between Beijing and Bangkok have been overshadowing those between Washington and Bangkok amid political turmoil following the 2014 coup that ousted Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and put Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha in power. The U.S. has explicitly expressed a reluctance to work with the new prime minister and havepulled back involvement when it comes to their annual military drills, the Cobra Golden Exercise.

Thailand-China Submarine Deal Suspended Following Concern Over Jeopardizing Ties With Washington

:usflag::china::pop:

American power is still strong in this region

I'm regret to see Thailand without independent diplomacy

Just get done with it. Every power, I repeat every power has to think about others while acting on the International Stage. More so with small nations.

Example: China always plays a fine balancing act in the middle east so as to not piss off any single nation, and have good economic ties with all. For it cannot take sides in Strategic Competition between Arabs, Iranians, Israelis, and Turks.

China also cares a lot about its International Image. An example is Xinhua. Just look at it, after all the ruckus that anti-Ramadan movement in China has created, there has been a clear shift now, with officials not resisting celebration of ramadan anymore, and Official media told to propagate how Muslims are happily celebrating Ramadan.

You don't buy it, Cambodia will ;)

Cambodia has a net GDP of 16 billion dollars, and a defense budget of 500 million dollars.

The cost of one submarine is 350 million dollars.

Unless you are selling for free, they can't afford one.

Thais can't really be trusted. Not sure why Chinese are so high on them. Thai people resemble more like Vietanamese and their language tonal sound is very similar to Vietnamese.

After Thaksin this military leader is spineless. They literally got their asses spanked by Vietnam in the 80s. If it wasn't for China Thais will be speaking Vietnamese now.

You shouldn't get so hot instantly.

Also you do indeed need some friends, or else you will be surrounded. No matter how large a country, it always requires peaceful neighborhood to flourish.

Also, in today's world, conquering a country is simply no option, for however strong a country, it is extremely tough to hold territory.

China also cares a lot about its International Image. An example is Xinhua. Just look at it, after all the ruckus that anti-Ramadan movement in China has created, there has been a clear shift now, with officials not resisting celebration of ramadan anymore, and Official media told to propagate how Muslims are happily celebrating Ramadan.

Total BS, frankly.

One, Xinhua distributes images every single Ramadan that I can remember. It is not the first time that images are being distributed. It could be the first time, though, that you see them here on PDF.

There is no anti-Ramadan movement in China. Here is no India where racism and Hindu fanaticism run rampant.

No shift on nothing; there was no resistance to celebrate Ramadan in the past as it is today. Do not make up stories from your Indian mind.

No official media told to promote nothing. It is business as usual. When some 10 million people do stuff in coordination, it gets reported. In terms of news-worthiness, no difference between Indian mass rape or Muslim mass celebration. Both get reported.

Now stop your delusional China expert rant, Indian. Go figure out your own problems and clean some anti-China filth in your mind.

Thais can't really be trusted. Not sure why Chinese are so high on them. Thai people resemble more like Vietanamese and their language tonal sound is very similar to Vietnamese.

Hmmm you seem to know some insights that even most oversea Viets and Chinese do not know about (are you an ethnic Hua from VN?).

Its seems like a lot of Chinese PDF were quite naive in believing the hype about the Thai thinking highly of the Chinese sub and that they were genuinely goining to buy it.

The Thais are a very intelligent people, a lot more intelligent than the Vietnamese. Very strategic, very clever, intuitive, long term thinker. I was going to say this earlier when yous got too excited about the “deal”, but decided not to because yous too sensitive. But, imo, the Thais never intended to buy the Chinese sub. They only used that “deal” to send a message to the US.

I am willing to bet that this deal will fall through. They will use whatever excuse to cancel it or suspend it indefinitely, whether its we got no more money, or, the US put too much pressure on us. The Thais are very smart. And if my prediction is right, then it means they are even smarter than a lot of Chinese PDF for buying their words that they really want to buy it (while all this time they were just using it to send a message to the US).

Hmmm you seem to know some insights that even most oversea Viets and Chinese do not know about (are you an ethnic Hua from VN?).

Its seems like a lot of Chinese PDF were quite naive in believing the hype about the Thai thinking highly of the Chinese sub and that they were genuinely goining to buy it.

The Thais are a very intelligent people, a lot more intelligent than the Vietnamese. Very strategic, very clever, intuitive, long term thinker. I was going to say this earlier when yous got too excited about the “deal”, but decided not to because yous too sensitive. But, imo, the Thais never intended to buy the Chinese sub. They only used that “deal” to send a message to the US.

I am willing to bet that this deal will fall through. They will use whatever excuse to cancel it or suspend it indefinitely, whether its we got no more money, or, the US put too much pressure on us. The Thais are very smart. And if my prediction is right, then it means they are even smarter than a lot of Chinese PDF for buying their words that they really want to buy it (while all this time they were just using it to send a message to the US).

On the relationship, I think, -- my thinking --, you are right. However, to call this doing smart. I don't think so. Everything has its cause. This is not smart but this is survival of all actors in Thai politics. I can see that when Thai newspaper coming up with enigma Topic "The counter-coup is on the way". And if it really happened, you can guess the fate of current Prime-Minister. Perhaps what @DaiViet said was right. There are no way out. Remind all parties here that we are on axis side in WW2 allying ourself with Japan, and Germany. Perhaps 3 nations' fate to day is not much different.

On the relationship, I think, -- my thinking --, you are right. However, to call this doing smart. I don't think so. Everything has its cause. This is not smart but this is survival of all actors in Thai politics. I can see that when Thai newspaper coming up with enigma Topic "The counter-coup is on the way". And if it really happened, you can guess the fate of current Prime-Minister. Perhaps what @DaiViet said was right. There are no way out. Remind all parties here that we are on axis side in WW2 allying ourself with Japan, and Germany. Perhaps 3 nations' fate to day is not much different.

Hah us Viets can understand the Thai way of thinking. It is a smart way, it makes the US think carefully about being too cold to Thailand. At the same time, China will think, like a Chinese member tried to imply in the previous page, that Thailand got bullied by the US and has no independent diplomacy. So both countries will work harder to bring Thailand closer to them.

Vietnam also trying to play this game, and it looks like its working. After Vietnam top leader visited the US, China send a govt official to visit VN, hugging the Vietnamese leader and all lol. I still laugh everytime Chinese media talks about Vietnam-China fraternal frienship and how US is trying to break this relationship. And I feel bad for the Philippines everytime they got accused as being the “trouble maker” while Vietnam is the role model (we know its the reverse where the Philippines was the victim and VN was the one playing troublesome game :lol:).

BTW, are you saying that the pro-US faction (yellow shirt?) was the one who pushed for the Chinese sub deal to lure the US back?

Hah us Viets can understand the Thai way of thinking. It is a smart way, it makes the US think carefully about being too cold to Thailand. At the same time, China will think, like a Chinese member tried to imply in the previous page, that Thailand got bullied by the US and has no independent diplomacy. So both countries will work harder to bring Thailand closer to them.

Vietnam also trying to play this game, and it looks like its working. After Vietnam top leader visited the US, China send a govt official to visit VN, hugging the Vietnamese leader and all lol. I still laugh everytime Chinese media talks about Vietnam-China fraternal frienship and how US is trying to break this relationship. And I feel bad for the Philippines everytime they got accused as being the “trouble maker” while Vietnam is the role model (we know its the reverse where the Philippines was the victim and VN was the one playing troublesome game :lol:).

BTW, are you saying that the pro-US faction (yellow shirt?) was the one who pushed for the Chinese sub deal to lure the US back?
I'm also researching on the topic. I don't know who is who. I think the way to understand is first to remove bias I have toward yellow shirt. Next I need to read each organization one by one and see how the big boss (CEO) of big organizations in Thailand is from, especially media.

Sometime, Vietnamese posters act aggressively toward me, because I rise Thai flag. I always remind them that power on S.E.A mainland is not just Siam, and Vietnam anymore.

I can see VN learning our game, too. I think VN has much more solid position than Thailand because military strength VN has. However, I would say if VN posters predicts winning American war again, they cannot use pass glory to predict war outcome to preveil toward VN.

I'm also researching on the topic. I don't know who is who. I think the way to understand is first to remove bias I have toward yellow shirt. Next I need to read each organization one by one and see how the big boss (CEO) of big organizations in Thailand is from, especially media.

Sometime, Vietnamese posters act aggressively toward me, because I rise Thai flag. I always remind them that power on S.E.A mainland is not just Siam, and Vietnam anymore.

I can see VN learning our game, too. I think VN has much more solid position than Thailand because military strength VN has. However, I would say if VN posters predicts winning American war again, they cannot use pass glory to predict war outcome to preveil toward VN.

Interesting. I think after this, US will slowly warm up to Thailand again, but it depends if China will offer something more tempting to Thailand.

As for Vietnamese members attacking you. Don’t worry bro, I am the only real honest Viet member here.

I will tell you something funny: football has changed the way the average Vietnamese people view Thailand, believe it or not. Not just in football, but the attitude and strategic mind of the Thai people. Now nearly every Vietnamese admit that the Thai national team is on a higher level than the Viet team. And your country achieved this through long term planning and development. Not just in football, but in other sports too like volleyball. So most Vietnamese now realized your good strategic mentality. Your country still more developed than VN, higher GDP. Lower PISA test score but publish more papers on the University level and register more patents, etc.

Viet nationalist here down want to admit it, but a lot of Vietnamese in Viet Nam are now admitting this.

A Viet parody song about the superiority of the Thai football team:

Interesting. I think after this, US will slowly warm up to Thailand again, but it depends if China will offer something more tempting to Thailand.

As for Vietnamese members attacking you. Don’t worry bro, I am the only real honest Viet member here.

I will tell you something funny: football has changed the way the average Vietnamese people view Thailand, believe it or not. Not just in football, but the attitude and strategic mind of the Thai people. Now nearly every Vietnamese admit that the Thai national team is on a higher level than the Viet team. And your country achieved this through long term planning and development. Not just in football, but in other sports too like volleyball. So most Vietnamese now realized your good strategic mentality. Your country still more developed than VN, higher GDP. Lower PISA test score but publish more papers on the University level and register more patents, etc.

Viet nationalist here down want to admit it, but a lot of Vietnamese in Viet Nam are now admitting this.

A Viet parody song about the superiority of the Thai football team:

No. Bro. According to todays news, even after the deal was on hold, US still do pressure on Thailand. Remeber TPP has no Thailand on the list? I guess this is the real reason. VN to negotiate the TPP is a good thing. We could come up with what the deal is really all about. Do you still remember RCEP? I'm not economic expert but I think this two is in competition and not compatible. VNmese people are brave soldiers. Are soldiers smart enough to choose what deal to sign? This is your own commitment and blame no one else. Thailand main foreign policy is ASEAN centrality . RCEP is designed with that in mind.

I am happy that VNmese people could see the real world beyond ancient history. Perhaps the most important history is during VNmese fighting with Frensh. The end of WW2 until the collapse of Dian Bien Fu (Thai name :Tan city). Perhaps there are something. I dare not say anymore. Perhaps a Thai prime-minister armed VN with rifles may have underlying reason. VN people were busy fighting but what really happened to Thailand?

For football, we used to go wrong way. Putting the best player together and putting the hope for that team. This was called "Dream Team" and Kietisak, the famous coach who use to helped coaching a team in VN, was one of this dream team. It ended in failure b/c those people became ego. Later they try to copy football leaque from Europe, and found success.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom