What's new

TF-X Turkish Fighter & Trainer Aircraft Projects

So it won't be produced with an American engine. I mean,it can't be produced,it would need license,right?
TEI will make new jet engine in 5 year, If Americans give 40 engine without problem than first Kaan fighter jets will enter to service with American engines, But either they give or not, This jet will use domestic engine in the end

TEI will make new jet engine in 5 year, If Americans give 40 engine without problem than first Kaan fighter jets will enter to service with American engines, But either they give or not, This jet will use domestic engine in the end
Is it possible that in 5 years we can produce 35,000 lb of fifth generation turbofan engine?

Wrong! They are not same engines!

The engines to be used in Kaan are counter-rotation twin engines. They are produced in pairs. They are not exactly the same engines used in F-16s.

Therefore, either the USA will sell them directly to us, or a separate license agreement will be signed for their production at TEI. I read somewhere that our folks want to buy 50 pairs (10 pairs of spare engines) for the first 40 Kaan. "If you're not going to give F-16s, then give we 75 engines." they would say. (15 pairs of spare engines)

In my personal opinion, the USA will not give us twin-F110 engines for mass production. USA only gives 6 pairs for prototypes. :)

F110 for single engine plane and F110 for double engine plane are basically similar but not identical as F110 for single engine plane has some modification to improve its safety. Single engine needs more safety than double engine planes.

Is it possible that in 5 years we can produce 35,000 lb of fifth generation turbofan engine?
We have to because it is %100 that Americans will creat problem in serial production of this plane
Pro-Greek and pro-Armenian Senators will do everything to prevent the delivery of the engines of this plane you see what kind of problems they created for F16V.
Mahmut Akşit explain state want him to finish this engine in 5-8 year, If they give enough money I thing he will do it.

Last edited:
TOLGA ÖZBEK'S INTERVIEW WITH THE CHIEF TEST PILOT OF KAAN (NATIONAL COMBAT AIRCRAFT/ MMU/ TF-X) BARBAROS DEMİRBAŞ

Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 10.31.00.png

Mr. Barbaros, you got on the aircraft, started her engines and throttled her up. What did it make you feel like?

-The aircraft gives you a lot of confidence. Especially when the canopy is closed, the visibility is great. Ergonomically speaking the LAD and its interfaces etc. are very pleasant.

It's a really big aircraft as well. Which aircraft did you get to fly before the MMU?
-I've flown with a lot of aircraft. The number exceeds 40. The majority of my flights have been with the F-4 in the Air Force Command. Later on I started flying with the F-16. I was the commander of the test fleet for 5 years. But KAAN is very pleasant. You see I'm currently flying the Hürkuş, F-16 and the Global 6000. Each and every one of these planes have a special place in my heart but KAAN makes you feel different things. Flying a Turkish aircraft is an incredibly pleasant experience. I sometimes look at its wings, I touch it and get very proud. KAAN really wants to fly. If you look at her lines, lift and control surfaces etc. It's going to be an amazing aircraft.

How many knots did you reach in the taxi tests?

-We didn't go above 15. This aircraft is more of a demonstrator for us. Hopefully we will start modifying her from June onwards and get her ready for flight. This is what we would call a technology demonstrator. We are validating the processes with this aircraft. Because there is intense production and management activities going on. There is a massive organization behind all of this. So this is essentially a trial aircraft. The second prototype which is the P1, will cover the entire envelope. We will start integrating some systems to that airframe. We will achieve 4.5th gen characteristics with our Block 10 aircraft and 5th gen by Block 20's.

What is your foresight regarding P1?
-We are expecting it to fly in 2025. I would say we are lucky and happy to have such a good team. We always managed to meet our objectives in advance of the schedule. Hopefully this won't change.

You probably have high speed taxi tests now am I right?
-We expect high speed trials to take place after November. It could take place in December as well but winter conditions, the conditions on the runway etc. there will be a lot of factors involved.

There is a lot of work left to do then.
-Yes there is. Technical preparation, safety evaluations, our maturity level in the simulator, the production and the efforts to put the aircraft on the flightline are very important. Could there be delays, yes. Seasonal conditions, supply and production could have an effect. But our plan currently is to get this aircraft ready for flight on the 27th of December.

Our viewers kept asking. I thought I would ask you as well. When you were taxiing (during her first taxi test) one engine's nozzle was closed whereas the other one was open. Did you use a single engine during that taxi? Can we hear this from you as well?

-It was our first taxi (laughs). We gave a quick decision regarding the first taxi. The aircraft had a natural pull towards the right. And since the brakes and the stick controls were limited, I used asymmetric thrust to keep the plane on the centerline. Some F-4 experience came into play. But all in all it was a very pleasant experience. Today Gökhan (the other test pilot) was much more comfortable coming in. We get better day by day.

-We started good. I thought we would be experiencing more elemental issues. We first engaged the engines, then the hydraulics, the electrical systems, the cockpit systems were always more mature. We are going well.

What a beautiful machine. Hopefully Turkey will come out with the engine solution and will be inducting the plane by 2030. After 2035 the west will be bringing out 6th generation fighter jets so Turkey needs to catch up.
Don't get too hung up on these 6th generation concepts. Technical progress shows that 5.5/5++ generation systems will be optionally manned, while 6th generation systems will be completely unmanned systems. In other words, the Baykar KE concept, or similar concepts in countries such as China and the USA etc., are primitively steps related to the preliminary preparation and TRL stages of the 'true' 6th generation transition.

In other words, the transition between the 5th and 6th generation is not the same as the transition between the 4th and 5th generation. There will be a complete paradigm shift here.

Therefore, some of ongoing projects currently being marketed as the 6th generation projects are basically 5++ systems. And all the qualities to be included in 5+ jets can be integrated into 5th generation jets. The only exception may be vertical stabilisers. In other matters, the current 5th generation jets offer a strong infrastructure suitable for expansion. In other words, 5th generation jets will also have the infrastructure to be upgraded to 5+. So When the generation changes? when the infrastructure of the current generation is not sufficient to meet technical advances.

The MMU is a programme designed in accordance with the concept of manned- unmanned teaming combat. The KAAN is an optionally manned aircraft, but the MMU programme is a doctrinal approach that includes not only this jet but also other unmanned systems such as Super Simsek and Anka-3 etc. According to some, it is a 6th generation ready aircraft, or if you think according to my classification, it is already a 5+ jet concept. Although the aircraft to be delivered in 2028 will have the B-1 configuration, we will start to see the full framework of the concept with the B-3 and B-4.

Possible in 5 years? IMO, hardly ever. :)

BTW, TEI CEO Prof. Mahmut Akşit said that the general design of the Kaan engine was frozen and the detailed design was started. This is the last situation in Kaan's engine.

Last edited:
Breaking News

TAI KAAN's national engine's general design configuration has frozen and TrMotor & TEI teams have now moved onto the detail design phase.

TEI General Manager Mahmut Akşit: "A team of 300 people are working on KAAN's engine, we have come a long way."

Taken via @M5Dergi/ first noticed by Combat-Master over at Secret Projects Forum

ASELSAN's subsystem-based contributions to the MMU-KAAN programme:
(From the presentation of Prof. Haluk Görgün, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Aselsan, in Habertürk)
Fvya1yjWcAcfsPd

ICNI Project (BÜHSET)
  • Next gen communication Functions
  • Navigation Functions
  • Recognition and Identification functions
  • ICNI antennas
TULGAR HMD:
  • Helmet Integrated Imaging System and integrated ar interface

Flight Control System Sensors (IMU)
  • Kılavuz-40 system of inertial measurement units
BURFIS Project
  • IRFS
  • AESA Radar/EW Systems
  • CMDS
Integrated EO System (BEOS)
  • Karat-100 Infrared search and tracking system
  • Toygun-100 Integrated Electro optical Targeting System
  • IRIS-300 Infrared missile warning and imaging system
  • LIAS-300: Laser Warning System
  • YILDIRIM-300 Directed Infrared countermeasure system

MURAD AESA radar from ASELSAN to HÜRJET!​

MURAD AESA radar from ASELSAN to HÜRJET!

Answering questions on CNN Turk, TUSAŞ General Manager Prof. Dr. Temel Kotil made statements about HÜRJET Training and Light Attack Aircraft. Regarding the AESA radar integration to HURJET, Kotil made the following statements:

“We will attach the ASELSAN radar to it, which can see 100-200 km. Its nose is made according to it, so it will be the same as the F-16 radar. We will place our missiles on it.”

When asked about the hourly flight cost of HÜRJET, Kotil said, “On average, you can divide the flight cost of the F-16 by 5.” gave the answer. As it is known, HÜRJET has started to be preferred intensely by the Middle East and East Asian countries due to its lower purchase and operating costs compared to its classmates, the F-16, compared to full-scale warplanes.

At the same time, Temel Kotil, “HÜRJET, will land at TCG ANADOLU. It will take off with 3 tons of bombs. He will do what is needed and come back.” In his statement, he also signaled that the work on a version of HURJET to be used in TCG ANADOLU is continuing.

https://www.defenceturk.net/hurjete-aselsandan-murad-aesa-radari

Back
Top Bottom