What's new

TF-X Turkish Fighter & Trainer Aircraft Projects

Turkish Aerospace Industries will soon start producing the TF-X Block 10.

Turkish Aerospace Industries will soon start producing the TF-X Block 10.
Block 10 will be built with indigenous engine which doesn't exist yet.

If by "soon" you mean 2030 then yeah. Or by block 10 you mean second prototype, yeah.

Otherwise I call bullshit.

Block 10 will be built with indigenous engine which doesn't exist yet.

If by "soon" you mean 2030 then yeah. Or by block 10 you mean second prototype, yeah.

Otherwise I call bullshit.
Block 30 will feature the national engine. Block 10 is the variant that will enter mass production initially. This got confirmed by İbrahim Sünnetçi and another source.

I think they're on the verge of producing the Block 10 prototype. Although this prototype might never make it into production, it's worth mentioning that TAI may deliver it regardless.

Block 30 will feature the national engine. Block 10 is the variant that will enter mass production initially. This got confirmed by İbrahim Sünnetçi and another source.

I think they're on the verge of producing the Block 10 prototype. Although this prototype might never make it into production, it's worth mentioning that TAI may deliver it regardless.
So the second prototype ever, is already the production variant? without any testing?

The first prototype didn't even fly yet

So the second prototype ever, is already the production variant? without any testing?

The first prototype didn't even fly yet
The first prototype hardly matters. GTU-0/P0 was meant to be an airworthy ground test aircraft. Alterations to the program schedule caused the first flight date to be brought forward. Block 10 was always meant to fly first. Block 10 or the second prototype, as things stand, isn't scheduled to fly until 2025.

Without any testing? No, first deliveries are scheduled for 2030. Depending on the circumstances, TAI might deliver initial prototype Block 10's to the Air Force Command during the pre-serial production phase. The aircraft's design is as final as it gets. There will likely be incredibly minimal visual differences. It seems to be a sensible decision.

The first prototype hardly matters. GTU-0/P0 was meant to be an airworthy ground test aircraft. Alterations to the program schedule caused the first flight date to be brought forward. Block 10 was always meant to fly first. Block 10 or the second prototype, as things stand, isn't scheduled to fly until 2025.

Without any testing? No, first deliveries are scheduled for 2030. Depending on the circumstances, TAI might deliver initial prototype Block 10's to the Air Force Command during the pre-serial production phase. The aircraft's design is as final as it gets. There will likely be incredibly minimal visual differences. It seems to be a sensible decision.
Obviously the design isn't frozen yet any number of changes might occur until 2030. To call the first flying prototype "block 10" is a little bit naive.

Obviously the design isn't frozen yet any number of changes might occur until 2030. To call the first flying prototype "block 10" is a little bit naive.
1) The design of GTU-0/P0 is actually frozen. But the CDR for the Block 10 (aka the real TF-X), has not yet finished. That aircraft, like aforementioned, isn't scheduled to fly until 2025. Its CDR activities will come to an end in the not too distant future.

2) I didn't call the first flying prototype "Block 10". You did. GTU-0 will fly first.

3) That's what they call that airframe. It's their designation. It's not up to you or me to question that. The prototype Block 10 and the production Block 10 might have their differences. But TAI still calls that thing Block 10. Nothing we can do about it.

4) Speaking of Block 10's and GTU's... TAI has many internal names for the TF-X. It's honestly quite confusing. We might hear some new ones in the upcoming months.

4) Speaking of Block 10's and GTU's... TAI has many internal names for the TF-X. It's honestly quite confusing.
It's exactly my point, thank you.

The mind naturally goes to what F-16 Block 10 was, which was a modernisation package over an already mature design.

Here, the first prototype is GTU, second prototype is Block 10 and 3rd will be called Ahmet or something I don't fucking know

TF-X is progressing steadily. There are some nice updates. The public will be able to recognize some of these updates once the rollout occurs. We MIGHT get newly released pics of the aircraft in the upcoming days (prob old footage). But the rollout ceremony date has not been decided as of yet.

TAI team deserves a praise. Despite all odds, they've managed to stick to a very challenging schedule. They were even ahead of the schedule at some point.

TAI team deserves a praise. Despite all odds, they've managed to stick to a very challenging schedule. They were even ahead of the schedule at some point.
I can understand that the memory of those who lost their lives in the earthquake should be treated with respect, but it is precisely for the reasons you mention that the extraordinary efforts and hard work that have been put in over the years, many of which have not even been reported in the press, should be honored. And I hope we can dedicate this ceremony, without politicizing it (i mean that it's not you and me, it's all of us), to the great transformation at TAI and to the invisible heroes of this transformation who work day and night in hangars, offices, factories and facilities.

TF-X is progressing steadily. There are some nice updates. The public will be able to recognize some of these updates once the rollout occurs. We MIGHT get newly released pics of the aircraft in the upcoming days (prob old footage). But the rollout ceremony date has not been decided as of yet.

With all due respect, I will celebrate the success of the TAI engineers when this thing is in full serial production and its not a widowmaker

I have full confidence in their abilities but it's too early to celebrate.

If I said I didn't care about the rollout I'd be lying, but I care more about the first flight.

With all due respect, I will celebrate the success of the TAI engineers when this thing is in full serial production and its not a widowmaker

I have full confidence in their abilities but it's too early to celebrate.

If I said I didn't care about the rollout I'd be lying, but I care more about the first flight.
You should celebrate their success now as well. It is no easy feat. This program will go on for years. And it won't be considered a success until the program is over. It's not only about mass producing hundreds of airframes. Hürkuş-B is being mass produced as well, has TurAF inducted them yet? No. TAI needs to come up with an aircraft that is reliable, suits the needs of the Air Force Command, that is easy to maintain etc. I'm pretty sure TAI can get this thing mass produced. But there are also a lot of sub-contractors that need to live up to the same performance. ASELSAN's sensor suit is a prime example, TAAC's actuators could be given as an example, etc.

You should celebrate their success now as well. It is no easy feat. This program will go on for years. And it won't be considered a success until the program is over. It's not only about mass producing hundreds of airframes. Hürkuş-B is being mass produced as well, has TurAF inducted them yet? No. TAI needs to come up with an aircraft that is reliable, suits the needs of the Air Force Command, that is easy to maintain etc. I'm pretty sure TAI can get this thing mass produced. But there are also a lot of sub-contractors that need to live up to the same performance. ASELSAN's sensor suit is a prime example, TAAC's actuators could be given as an example, etc.
To be honest I doubt Hürkuş-C will be procured by the air force command either. There's very little need for it. TAI has done a lot of great work over the years and received very little praise for it, they got overshadowed by Baykar which they helped a lot as well. TFX will change all that.

But you're wrong about one thing, it IS all about producing hundreds of airframes. We need economy of scale, We don't need another Su-57

To be honest I doubt Hürkuş-C will be procured by the air force command either. There's very little need for it. TAI has done a lot of great work over the years and received very little praise for it, they got overshadowed by Baykar which they helped a lot as well. TFX will change all that.

But you're wrong about one thing, it IS all about producing hundreds of airframes. We need economy of scale, We don't need another Su-57
Partially agree. TurAF and TAI needs to figure stuff out first though. The Hürkuş-B deal is still problematic. The blame goes both ways.

Back
Top Bottom