What's new

TF-X Turkish Fighter & Trainer Aircraft Projects

Kale Pratt & Whitney Engine Plant

090520111335055289199_2.jpg

“I believe this facility will grow, the number of parts produced here will increase and they will be used for the planes that Turkey will design and manufacture by itself, as well as other vehicles that include high technology,” Gul said.

Pratt & Whitney Inaugurates Turkish Engine Plant | Defense News | defensenews.com

Same thing came to my mind when he said this...

As the F-16 and Gripen already exist for the single-engine 4th-gen market, Korea will also enter with its single-engine KFX, and China gradually increasing its export reach with its own offerings, what does Turkey project its production run will look like? If it doesn't have strong exports, won't TFX simply drain defense funds that could be better allocated elsewhere?
I dont think that we are concerned about sales. We are striving to become independent in the defense sector. It isn't smart to depend on other countries for the rest of your nation's history so these big steps need to be taken eventually and sooner is better than later.

I dont think that we are concerned about sales. We are striving to become independent in the defense sector. It isn't smart to depend on other countries for the rest of your nation's history so these big steps need to be taken eventually and sooner is better than later.

Understood, but of course, without exports, this will come at tremendous cost. Even the US doesn't produce all of its military equipment itself (as an aside, the US is the largest export customer of the Turkish defense industry). Turkey may be able to produce equipment of equivalent capability, but that equipment will be much more expensive than an imported equivalent if it is not able to amortize those costs across export units.

By definition, Turkey doesn't have unlimited funds, and priorities must be set for where scarce resources will be allocated; I wonder if this is the most efficient way to spend those funds, especially in light of the fierce competition that already exists in this arena. If Turkey fears an embargo by the US, there are already alternatives available in the EU, Russia, China, South Korea, and soon, India.

That said, good luck.

HÜRKUŞ's avionic systems & integrations will be made by ASELSAN and it will be so good as an experience for T/F-X... I mean HÜRKUŞ will be something like experimental test bed of T/F-X also... Maybe not only avionic systems, maybe this is so good also about some other things, dunno... Pieces of puzzle are falling into place step by step... And this is not only about T/F-X program, it's same about all our ongoing defence & aviation project...

I Think, Turkey planing a fighter jet look like Grippen...

TFX and Grippen looking same design! Only, TFX have 2 Tail.

2-jpg.34612
1024px-Saab-JAS-39_at_ILA_2010_05.jpg

ANKARA — Turkey’s procurement and military officials are hoping to build a new generation, dual fighter jet fleet by their country’s centennial — 2023 — comprising F-35s and indigenous aircraft Ankara has been designing.

“Despite ups and downs, we remain fully committed to the [Joint Strike Fighter] program. But independently, we will develop our own fighter. There is an established policy understanding to keep our [fighter] fleet limited to these two only,” said a senior government official for defense procurement.

An official from the procurement agency, the Undersecretariat for Defense Industries (SSM), confirmed: “We think a combination of both aircraft will ensure sufficient firepower and deterrence.”

The SSM official said the F-35 has some weaknesses in air-to-air combat, but the TF-X would compensate. TF-X is Turkey’s indigenous fighter under development.

After delays of more than a year, Turkey’s top procurement panel last month officially decided to order the country’s first two F-35s. The order is for the first F-35A aircraft with Block-3F configuration under Low Rate Initial Production-10.

Turkey joined the multinational F-35 program as a consortium partner during the concept demonstration phase in 1999.

In January 2013, Turkey indefinitely put off a decision to order the first two F-35s, citing unpredictable costs and technical snags. But procurement officials say the country’s commitment to eventually acquire 100 F-35s remains.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan is widely expected to give an official go-ahead for the first phase of the development stage of the TF-X this year.

Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) already has concluded the preconceptual design work and produced three draft models, one of which would become the first Turkish indigenous fighter jet. For the preconceptual design work, TAI extensively cooperated with Sweden’s Saab, maker of the Gripen, a lightweight single-engine multirole fighter. Turkey hopes that it can fly the Turkish fighter by 2023.

The SSM official said Turkey would eventually buy 100 to 150 of the TF-X.

“How we proceed from now on is to first decide on an engine for the TF-X and then develop the aircraft based on that engine,” he said.

This year, SSM wrote to three engine makers — GE, Pratt & Whitney and Rolls-Royce — asking them to propose a suitable engine for the TF-X.

“We expect to select an engine before the end of the year,” the SSM official said. “That will pave the way for the first phase of development.”

On June 6, Pratt & Whitney inaugurated at a high profile ceremony its Turkish partnership with local aviation company Kale to produce critical engine parts for the F-35.

Kale Pratt & Whitney, the joint venture, will manufacture the parts of the F-135, the engine for the F-35, at the plant in Izmir on Turkey’s Aegean coast.

Pratt & Whitney has a 51 percent share in the joint venture while the Turkish company holds the remaining 49 percent, company officials said.

The $75 million investment will employ an initial 700 workers. ■

Last edited:
"The SSM official said the F-35 has some weaknesses in air-to-air combat, but the TF-X would compensate. TF-X is Turkey’s indigenous fighter under development."

In which kind their is a weakness in air to air combat exactly?

"The SSM official said the F-35 has some weaknesses in air-to-air combat, but the TF-X would compensate. TF-X is Turkey’s indigenous fighter under development."

Idk i talked to a few us airforce officers the other day and I asked them about the F-35. They said that it is a good all around plane but it doesn't excel in any one field. One of the officers said "I would rather have an a-10 if I was doing close air support and I would rather have an F-22 for air superiority." They also said that the electronics on the F-35 are amazing

Also these guys that I talked are still low in rank. One of them was a captain and the other i dont remember. They were flying T 6 trainer aircraft (Propeller) I asked what they wanted to fly next and they said the F-16.

Probably agility and speed.

Turkey’s procurement and military officials are hoping to build a new generation, dual fighter jet fleet by their country’s centennial — 2023 — comprising F-35s and indigenous aircraft Ankara has been designing.
“Despite ups and downs, we remain fully committed to the [Joint Strike Fighter] program. But independently, we will develop our own fighter. There is an established policy understanding to keep our [fighter] fleet limited to these two only,” said a senior government official for defense procurement.

An official from the procurement agency, the Undersecretariat for Defense Industries (SSM), confirmed: “We think a combination of both aircraft will ensure sufficient firepower and deterrence.”

The SSM official said the F-35 has some weaknesses in air-to-air combat, but the TF-X would compensate. TF-X is Turkey’s indigenous fighter under development.

After delays of more than a year, Turkey’s top procurement panel last month officially decided to order the country’s first two F-35s. The order is for the first F-35A aircraft with Block-3F configuration under Low Rate Initial Production-10.

Turkey joined the multinational F-35 program as a consortium partner during the concept demonstration phase in 1999.

In January 2013, Turkey indefinitely put off a decision to order the first two F-35s, citing unpredictable costs and technical snags. But procurement officials say the country’s commitment to eventually acquire 100 F-35s remains.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan is widely expected to give an official go-ahead for the first phase of the development stage of the TF-X this year.

Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) already has concluded the preconceptual design work and produced three draft models, one of which would become the first Turkish indigenous fighter jet. For the preconceptual design work, TAI extensively cooperated with Sweden’s Saab, maker of the Gripen, a lightweight single-engine multirole fighter. Turkey hopes that it can fly the Turkish fighter by 2023.

The SSM official said Turkey would eventually buy 100 to 150 of the TF-X.

“How we proceed from now on is to first decide on an engine for the TF-X and then develop the aircraft based on that engine,” he said.

This year, SSM wrote to three engine makers — GE, Pratt & Whitney and Rolls-Royce — asking them to propose a suitable engine for the TF-X.

“We expect to select an engine before the end of the year,” the SSM official said. “That will pave the way for the first phase of development.”

On June 6, Pratt & Whitney inaugurated at a high profile ceremony its Turkish partnership with local aviation company Kale to produce critical engine parts for the F-35.

Kale Pratt & Whitney, the joint venture, will manufacture the parts of the F-135, the engine for the F-35, at the plant in Izmir on Turkey’s Aegean coast.

Pratt & Whitney has a 51 percent share in the joint venture while the Turkish company holds the remaining 49 percent, company officials said.

The $75 million investment will employ an initial 700 workers.
Turkey Looks To Have Dual Fighter Fleet by 2023 | Defense News | defensenews.com

Turkey can only do it if it doesn't quit. Pakistan can help in technical field if required, though we are short on cash :D

Back
Top Bottom