What's new

Textbook biases: ‘Our schools are extremism factories’

pak-marine

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
LAHORE:: The biases and prejudices in school textbooks are one of the main reasons for the radicalisation of young people and poor quality of education in Pakistan, said academics and civil society activists at a conference here on Wednesday.

“These are not textbooks as much as propaganda brochures which have closed off our children’s minds,” said Irfan Mufti of South Asia Partnership Pakistan, speaking at the conference on ‘Biases in textbooks and education policy’, organised by the National Commission for Justice and Peace (NCJP).

“Discrimination is a national issue and these discriminatory texts are a constant threat to our society,” he said. “I believe that all the primary schools in our country are factories fuelling extremism in our children.” Peter Jacob of the NCJP said that school textbooks painted non-Muslims as the enemy. “We want our teacher to tell our children that minorities or people from other religions or countries are not our enemies,” he said.

“People here who used to deny that Pakistan was an extremist society no longer deny it after Gojra and the Asia Bibi and Rimsha [blasphemy] cases.” Other speakers said that the best way to counter the extremism was through good teachers and good schools. “Educationists must play their role in changing minds through education. I believe our generation needs values more than anything else,” said Dr Christy Munir, the principal of FC College.

“The only way we can become a progressive nation is to be an educated nation. We know that the only tool we have against extremism is education and if there is no education, there will be no peace,” said Father Emmanuel Yousaf, a peace activist.

“There is a huge difference between early and current society. Everyone should respect the changes in society and one should not impose his or her beliefs on others,” said Syed Nisar Safdar, a Supreme Court advocate and social activist.

The speakers said that current education and curriculum policy should be reviewed to remove discriminatory teaching materials and practices. Besides imparting knowledge, textbooks and teachers should focus on teaching students universal humanity and responsible citizenship. Religious education should be removed from public schools, or at least minority students should get an equal opportunity to study their own religion. And the role of religious minorities in the creation and development of Pakistan should be incorporated in the syllabus, the speakers said.

Around 100 people attended the event at Ambassador Hotel.
Published in The Express Tribune, June 27th, 2013.

Textbook biases:

What are the curriculums on primary school of India and Pakistan?

568946-pakistamtextbookhate-1372291758-842-640x480.jpg

This Pic is from the Article Posted by OP.

LAHORE:: The biases and prejudices in school textbooks are one of the main reasons for the radicalisation of young people and poor quality of education in Pakistan, said academics and civil society activists at a conference here on Wednesday.

“Discrimination is a national issue and these discriminatory texts are a constant threat to our society,” he said. “I believe that all the primary schools in our country are factories fuelling extremism in our children.” Peter Jacob of the NCJP said that school textbooks painted non-Muslims as the enemy. “We want our teacher to tell our children that minorities or people from other religions or countries are not our enemies,” he said.

“People here who used to deny that Pakistan was an extremist society no longer deny it after Gojra and the Asia Bibi and Rimsha [blasphemy] cases.” Other speakers said that the best way to counter the extremism was through good teachers and good schools. “Educationists must play their role in changing minds through education. I believe our generation needs values more than anything else,” said Dr Christy Munir, the principal of FC College.

“The only way we can become a progressive nation is to be an educated nation. We know that the only tool we have against extremism is education and if there is no education, there will be no peace,” said Father Emmanuel Yousaf, a peace activist.

“There is a huge difference between early and current society. Everyone should respect the changes in society and one should not impose his or her beliefs on others,” said Syed Nisar Safdar, a Supreme Court advocate and social activist.

The speakers said that current education and curriculum policy should be reviewed to remove discriminatory teaching materials and practices. Besides imparting knowledge, textbooks and teachers should focus on teaching students universal humanity and responsible citizenship. Religious education should be removed from public schools, or at least minority students should get an equal opportunity to study their own religion. And the role of religious minorities in the creation and development of Pakistan should be incorporated in the syllabus, the speakers said.

Around 100 people attended the event at Ambassador Hotel.
Published in The Express Tribune, June 27th, 2013.

Textbook biases:

Here comes another piece of crap by express tribune only thing which ET would like our students to be taught is how to do private acts other than that everything is extremism

Here you go... all Indian public school textbooks available online: National Council Of Educational Research And Training :: Home

And here is an alternative stream vailable in INdia schools: Download NCERT Text Books and CBSE Books
Accord on the link, in India

Accountancy | Biology | BusinessStudies | Chemistry | Economics | English | Geography | Hindi | History | Mathematics | Physics | PoliticalScience | Psychology | Sanskrit | Sociology | Urdu

Accountancy | Biology | BusinessStudies | Chemistry | Economics | English | Geography | Hindi | History | Mathematics | Physics | PoliticalScience | Psychology | Sanskrit | Sociology | Statistics | Urdu

English | Hindi | Mathematics | Sanskrit | Science | SocialScience | Urdu

English | Hindi | Mathematics | Sanskrit | Science | SocialScience

English | Hindi | Mathematics | Sanskrit | Science | SocialStudies | Urdu

English | EnvironmentalStudies | Hindi | Mathematics

English | EnvironmentalStudies | Hindi | Mathematics | Urdu

English | EnvironmentalStudies | Hindi | Mathematics | Urdu

English | Hindi | Mathematics | Urdu

English | Hindi | Mathematics | Urdu

Well obviously there won't be any textbooks called 'bomb making' or 'the evil west'.
If there is any truth in this claim, then it will be subtle changes within a book which all add up.

If our textbooks do not use the language and view that supports our reason to exist as Pakistanis then what use are they? If there is anything overt and radical they of course it is not halal or kosher, but really what do liberals want? An emasculated Pakistan that Indians can ride for free?

It is better to propagate world peace, end to weapons, and elimination of borders of all kind than to cut our roots. These liberals are in thrall of themselves and love the attention they get from across the border, hence their chicanery. Do they know how uni-dimensional Indian thinking is in respect to Pakistan? Do they read poisonous posts about Pakistan all around the web? Do they consider that without reciprocation a one-sided plunge is akin to suicide?
@pak-marine I want to see specific examples of what is wrong with our textbooks. We can discuss these on a case by case basis individually. A few days ago I responded to an Indian poster on PDF on the same topic. Most of the examples he quoted were easily explainable in the context, with perhaps one being objectionable.

Remember that it is the antiquated Madrassah curriculum that is our major problem. Not our school books as such.

I would also like to know how is history taught in India. I remember distinctly that BJP's revision of school curriculum in '00s downgraded Islam to a 'religious development' from Religion. Did any of our liberals talk about that then?

I am all for peace and stability and development. But I can not fathom why some people want to rush things that need to be carefully thought about; and even more carefully implemented.

568946-pakistamtextbookhate-1372291758-842-640x480.jpg

This Pic is from the Article Posted by OP.

The article is trash, just looking at the picture. Reading the article confirms this view.

Last edited by a moderator:
Education is business in Pakistan. If a illiterate person is over the head of literate people, then they cannot even do a single improvement.

If our textbooks do not use the language and view that supports our reason to exist as Pakistanis then what use are they? If there is anything overt and radical they of course it is not halal or kosher, but really what do liberals want? An emasculated Pakistan that Indians can ride for free?

It is better to propagate world peace, end to weapons, and elimination of borders of all kind than to cut our roots. These liberals are in thrall of themselves and love the attention they get from across the border, hence their chicanery. Do they know how uni-dimensional Indian thinking is in respect to Pakistan? Do they read poisonous posts about Pakistan all around the web? Do they consider that without reciprocation a one-sided plunge is akin to suicide?
@pak-marine I want to see specific examples of what is wrong with our textbooks. We can discuss these on a case by case basis individually. A few days ago I responded to an Indian poster on PDF on the same topic. Most of the examples he quoted were easily explainable in the context, with perhaps one being objectionable.

Remember that it is the antiquated Madrassah curriculum that is our major problem. Not our school books as such.

I would also like to know how is history taught in India. I remember distinctly that BJP's revision of school curriculum in '00s downgraded Islam to a 'religious development' from Religion. Did any of our liberals talk about that then?

I am all for peace and stability and development. But I can not fathom why some people want to rush things that need to be carefully thought about; and even more carefully implemented.

The article is trash, just looking at the picture. Reading the article confirms this view.

The sole purpose of one whole book is to inculcate in immature minds the half-baked propaganda of the state. No other people are so confused about their identity as the children and even the adults of Pakistan, the more the children are taught who they are not the more they get confused and ask who they really are. Nowhere in this article the writer mentioned India but you have dragged it into this discussion. The writer of this article is just saying that the children should be taught in the schools that those Pakistani who are, fortunately or unfortunately, not the followers of Islam are not the enemies of Pakistan, they are as patriotic Pakistanis as the followers of Islam can be. When the children are taught in their schools that kafirs are the enemey of islam ka qila they may automatically assume that the non-muslim Pakistanis are also our enemy. The write is emphasizing on education and strongly believe that an educated society can more easily and successfully fight the religious extremism and intolerance. He is saying that textbooks should be designed to teach children universal human values and make them good citizens. So, where is the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom