What's new

Terrorist bombing of Moscow Airport Jan. 24, 2011

For some reason I thought India had outlawed the death penalty??? Someone feel free to confirm that or correct me.

Certainly not but it is given only in the "rarest of the rare" crimes. However the person given death penalty has a right to appeal against it to the president, whose decision is basically political. Thus the person awarded death penalty by Supreme Court of India for involvement in an attack on the Parliament is still not hanged as the ruling party believes hanging him may provoke some people in Kashmir and thus the Presidential node is still not given for the same.

I served 6 years on the Alabama Department of Youth Services State Board and concurrent DYS Board of Education. Old terminology would be "Juvenile Reform School" system.

If a child age 15 had done such, and lived to tell the story of his or her guilt we would put them in our DYS hard lock up until adult legal age of 18, then transfer them into the adult prison system where whatever judgement the court had rendered, which would have been either the death penalty or life in prison would be the final outcome for the fomerly 15 year old once they turned age 18.

Equally important in the US we would seek out the adults responsible for misguiding into violent crimes such as this the 15 year old and they would be tried on charges of conspiracy to commit murder and have gotten either life in prison or the death penalty.

For some reason I thought India had outlawed the death penalty??? Someone feel free to confirm that or correct me.

No. While there have been many campaigns to do so, the death penalty has not yet been outlawed in India yet. The Indian Supreme Court had ruled in a major judgement, that the the death penalty must be awarded only in the "rarest of the rare" cases. The upshot of that has been that the death sentences have come down dramatically. Now many states do not even have Hangmen on their rolls, since the last death penalty was carried out many years ago and the Hangmen have retired in the interim. Both the pro-penalty and ant-penalty lobbies are quite vocal yet. However the Criminal Judicial system seems to be more oriented towards a reformatory direction now.

I dislike this very common saying.

"Freedom Fighters" don't plant bombs in public areas to kill women and children. REAL freedom fighters (like the French Partisans in WW2) target military assets.

I agree, in Pakistan militants are doing suicide bombing in public areas. If they don't like military or American army in Afghanistan they should go their and bomb.

we have 9/11 and 11/26 everyday here in Pakistan.

3 accused of complicity in Domodedovo teract in custody in Vladikavkaz

10.02.2011, 13.28

NAZRAN, February 10 (Itar-Tass) - Three persons accused of complicity in the terrorist act in Domodedovo are in custody in Vladikavkaz, lawyers told Itar-Tass on Thursday.

According to the lawyer of Umar Aushev, “Today I’m informed that there are no plans on transfer of my client.”

The lawyer of Lyuba Ausheva, sister of supposed suicide bomber Magomed Yevloyev, said, “Nothing is known for us. We have no information that there are plans on transfer of the Yevloyevs.”

The accused were arrested for a term of two months. They were charged with terrorism, murder and illegal acquisition and keeping of arms and explosives.

It would be premature to say that Ingushetia resident Magomed Yevloyev is involved in the terror act at the Moscow Domodedovo Airport, the Ingush Interior Ministry said.

The ministry confirmed that the police had identified the man whose body fragments (the head and a palm) were found on the terror act scene as Magomed Yevloyev, 20-year-old resident of the Ali-Yurt village of the Nazran district. The ministry said that the identification was based on fingerprints and DNA tests.

However, Yevloyev cannot be called the suicide bomber for certain so far, the ministry said. “Apart from Yevloyev’s body fragments, the explosion scene contained four hand fragments whose identity is yet unknown. One of these hands may belong to the suicide bomber,” the ministry said.

Further investigative procedures are necessary to find out why Yevloyev came to the Domodedovo Airport and who owned the other body fragments, the ministry said.

Yevloyev was decommissioned from military service about a year ago. He got married within several months, and disappeared six months ago. No proof of Yevloyev’s possible engagement in the terror act was found in his house. Not a single photo of Yevloyev was found in the house either, the ministry said.

The terrorist act at the Domodedovo Airport international arrivals hall was committed at 4:32 p.m. Moscow time on January 24. A bomb equivalent to some 5 kilograms TNT went off in the suicide bomber’s belt. The explosion killed 36 people. Another 109 people, among them foreign nationals, are still at hospital.

The federal government will assign 120 million roubles for helping victims of the Monday explosion at the Moscow Domodedovo Airport and families of the dead. A resolution to that effect signed by Prime Minister Vladimir Putin was posted on the government website last Tuesday.

“The Russian budget will assign up to 110 million roubles in one-time allowances to citizens injured in the terror act and to families of the dead on the basis of the lists of victims, including foreign citizens, coordinated with the Health and Social Development Ministry and the Foreign Ministry,” the government resolution says.

“Another ten million roubles will be assigned for compensation of lost property, up to 50,000 roubles per family,” the government resolution said.

In addition, the government ordered the Health and Social Development Ministry and the Federal Medical and Biological Agency to organize rehabilitation of the injured people and families of the dead.

Regional authorities were recommended to assign additional funds for the assistance to the terrorist act victims and families of the dead.

Families, which lost their members in the Monday blast at the Moscow Domodedovo Airport, will be paid three million roubles each; people with severe injuries will get 1.9 million roubles, and 1.2 million roubles will be paid to the lightly injured, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said.

The government must support victims of the terror act, Putin said. “I have signed a resolution to that effect, and Moscow city and regional authorities have approved compensations from their budgets,” he noted.

Another criminal case has been opened over the explosion at the Moscow Domodedovo Airport, Investigation Committee spokesman Vladimir Markin told Itar-Tass.

He said the case was about the failure to comply with transport security requirements.

“The Investigation Committee opened a criminal case based on Part 3, Article 263.1 of the Russian Criminal Code, that is the failure to provide transport security that resulted in the terror act at the Moscow Domodedovo Airport on January 24,” Markin said.

The initial criminal case in the Domodedovo Airport explosion is based on the charges of terror act, killing of more than two people and illegal distribution of armaments and explosives. The Investigation Committee is scrutinizing the case.

ITAR-TASS

Back
Top Bottom