What's new

Terminal velocity: China tests world's longest high-speed rail line

Hat off China! What an achievement indeed! Great pictures...looks spectacular.

You made be doubt our democratic snail pace setup.

Happy new Year!:partay:

Beijing South Station
wtte7929ZfDy.jpg

sign.jpg

Wuhan Station
wuhanH40025.jpg

Changsha South Station
2841_219930_821316_zps6ceee322.jpg

eb32d.jpg

ssvwbe7j7zu4v7f.jpg

w02.jpg

er58.jpg

w6.jpg

Not really. The US simply isn't into trains. We fly or drive everywhere. My guess is in China with auto ownership skyrocketing and more and more airplanes being purchased you'll also start seeing train ridership go down.

You can cover 2000km in about 3.5 hours by plane.
But your at airport 2 hrs before flight and costs a lot more than high speed train.

I prefer a high speed train ride over flight.taking an airplane always makes me nervous,ha .and isn't that nicer that you can have another equally pleasant choice.

Not really. The US simply isn't into trains. We fly or drive everywhere. My guess is in China with auto ownership skyrocketing and more and more airplanes being purchased you'll also start seeing train ridership go down.

You can cover 2000km in about 3.5 hours by plane.

No- I think the rail infra that they're building will keep people on trains. High speed (acceptably less speed than planes) at some half the cost and equal comfort- that's a deadly combination. Their national highway system was built at some 4000 KM a year and I think are now at par with the best of the world in terms of connectivity.

But your at airport 2 hrs before flight and costs a lot more than high speed train.

Those trains, land for tracks, and actual physical tracks are not free. Just because they charge "X" for a ticket does not mean they are covering their startup costs. It could either be financed over decades of ridership or more likely government subsidized.

With a plane you have similar costs except you cut out track land purchases and track maintenance. All you have is cost of plane, fuel, and airport costs.

As for spending 2 hours at the airport. Most extra time spent at airport is security. If a high speed rail became popular here security would be in effect with it too. So you aren't going to be getting around a security check time delay.

Just awesome.. well done. :cheers:
Trains are good to travel even at bad weather like heavy rain.:yes4:

Their national highway system was built at some 4000 KM a year and I think are now at par with the best of the world in terms of connectivity.

And what were people taking before their road system improved - trains. What were they taking 20 years ago before their airport infrastructure improved - trains.

I think it is logical that these two modes of transportation are hurting train ridership.

Back
Top Bottom