What's new

Tere Bin Laden

Pakistan has opened its market for indian cinema after some 50 years. But there are still some restrictions placed. I think india will like to have a market which loves bollywood as much as bombay and delhi.

Doesnt make any difference to Bollywood whether you open the market or not.

We were doing well without Pakistan and will continue to do so.

GB

Tere Bin Laden mints over Rs 500 million in its first week
Submitted by Sangeeta Thapar on Tue, 07/20/2010 - 15:37

Inspired from the success of low Budget films like Bheja Fry and Mithya, the humorous satire on Osama Bin laden named Tere Bin Laden has raked over Rs 500 million in its opening weekend.

The movie that released on this Friday clashing with Sanjay Dutt-Bipasha Basu starrer Lamhaa and Vikramaditya Motwane's Udaan is giving a tough fight to other releases.

As the movie, has grossed the collections from 344 screens across India just within three days of its release.

Directed by debutant director Abhishek Sharma, the movie is drawing international attention too.

To start with the movie has cloaked around $150,000 from markets like Britain, United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Australia. In addition, it is also slated to release in US in a due course of time.

The movie which is a humorous take on Osama Bin Laden is the launch platform for Pakistani singer-turned-actor Ali Zafar and newcomer Pradhuman Singh.

Riding high on the great response achieved for the movie now the distributors of the film- Boney Kapoor's BSK Network and Entertainment is planning to augment the release by an additional 40-50 prints in the second week.

Besides Tere Bin Laden, even Udaan is fetching great reviews from the critics.

If this is an Indian movie which i was mistaken as before thinking it was Pakistani considering Ali Zafar in it, why is Ali Zafar being cast for the leading role? You did not have an Indian alternative to that or what?

If this is an Indian movie which i was mistaken as before thinking it was Pakistani considering Ali Zafar in it, why is Ali Zafar being cast for the leading role? You did not have an Indian alternative to that or what?

its a joint venture, does not matter if he is a Pakistani or an Indian.

If this is an Indian movie which i was mistaken as before thinking it was Pakistani considering Ali Zafar in it, why is Ali Zafar being cast for the leading role? You did not have an Indian alternative to that or what?[/QUOTE

For this movie , we wanted a stupid person working for a pathetic news channel, obviously such a combinaton does not exist in India so we went fro Ali Zafar.Happy?

Because he's got talent and we'd be very cheap if we don't recognize it.

‘I’m alive and raising funds in Pakistan’

aliZafar.jpg

His Bollywood debut, Tere Bin Laden, is one of the surprise hits of the year. Ali Zafar’s second movie is with the Yash Raj banner. Directed by Ali Abbas, it co-stars Imran Khan, Katrina Kaif and a new girl. The singer-turned-actor is delighted. “It’s a romantic comedy. I’m playing the parallel lead and singing my own songs. Ali, my namesake, has picked up incidents from his life and woven them into an interesting script. I chatted with Imran at the I Hate Luv Storys success party. He was friendly. I’ve met Katrina twice, she’s nice. Shooting should be fun,” he smiles.

Here and there

He adds that there’s no exclusive contract with YRF and he’s in talks with other filmmakers too. “I can’t reveal the details yet but I could be signing up with another big producer soon,” says Zafar, who has decided he needs a base here too, so his wife and child can join him. “I can’t live without them. And well, I can always have two homes, one in India and one in Pakistan, can’t I?”

He’s disappointed that Tere Bin Laden didn’t have an official release back home. “People have been watching pirated prints and wondering why it was banned,” sighs Zafar who had planned to distribute the film in Pakistan. “I’d worked on it for a long time. More than the monetary losses, I’m upset because I wanted to contribute in my own way to strengthening our industry. I know the film would have worked too,” he sighs.

Dabangg too will not get an opening across the border because Pakistan doesn’t want competition from Bollywood during Eid. Ali Zafar finds the move illogical.

“People are returning to the theatres and during a festival they like to watch big movies with family and friends. They should have the option of choosing what they want to watch. Such bans will not benefit our still-evolving industry,” he argues
, admitting that that while he’s been getting offers there from day one, he’s not too kicked about them. “I’m open to good roles. I’ll never cut my ties with my country.”

Payback time

For the moment, he’s arranging a series of fun raisers for flood-affected Pakistan with his singer friends. “One-fifth of the sixth largest country in the world was under water. We want to rebuild the destroyed areas. People there have given me a lot, this is my chance to give something back to them,” he asserts.

Buzz on Twitter was that he had been washed away by the floods during rescue operations. He laughs, “I didn’t know, what I read on Twitter was Shah Rukh saying that he had not laughed so much in a long time (after a screening of Tere Bin Laden). Well, as you can see, I’m alive.”

?I?m alive and raising funds in Pakistan? - Hindustan Times

Back
Top Bottom