What's new

Tendulkar at new heights as World Cup nears

Reaction score
succinctly summarized the master.

LONDON: Unruffled composure over two decades, in the face of the world's most hostile attacks and the frenzied demands of a celebrity-fixated society, confirms the true greatness of Sachin Tendulkar.

For a man in his 38th year, Tendulkar's appetite for runs remains unsated and his unrelenting determination to keep wringing the utmost out of the gifts so lavishly bestowed on him at birth is phenomenal.

So, too, is his ability to remain unaffected either on or off the field by the relentless glare of public adulation which makes a private life impossible in his native India.

No hint of scandal has touched the man who last weekend became the first person to pass 14,000 test runs in the second test against Australia and he remains the complete team player.

“It is about what I want to do for my team,” he said after scoring his sixth test double-hundred in 171 tests and his 11th century against the team who have dominated cricket during his career. “And I will not compromise on that.”

Tendulkar has shown unqualified commitment to his team and his sport since Pakistan's Waqar Younis bloodied his mouth with a short-pitched delivery in his debut test in 1990 at the age of 16.

Eight days later he became the youngest man to score a test half-century and 20 years on he holds the records for most test and one-day runs and the most test and one-day centuries, a scarcely believable 95 in total.

BRADMAN ACCOLADE

The ultimate accolade came from Don Bradman, whose test average of 99.94 dwarfs all his rivals before or since, including Tendulkar whose current mark is just under 57.

Towards the end of his life Bradman, the first celebrity cricketer, whose run-scoring feats for Australia in the depths of the 1930s depression bolstered an emerging nation's morale, called his wife into the room to watch Tendulkar on television.

“I never saw myself play but I feel that this fellow is playing much the same as I used to play, and she looked at him on the television and said, yes, there is a similarity between the two,” recalled Bradman, who was no more inclined to make unconsidered statements that he had been to play rash shots.

“To me his compactness, his technique, his stroke production, it all seemed to gel as far as I was concerned.”

Tendulkar scored his first test hundred at Old Trafford at the age of 17 and he had still to celebrate his 20th birthday when a century off the Australians at Perth won the unstinted praise of cricket's fiercest competitors.

The West Indian, Pakistani and South African fast bowlers at the start of his career held no terrors. His later duels with Shane Warne became the stuff of legend.

Tendulkar, who overtook compatriot Sunil Gavaskar's world record of 34 test centuries in 2006, has reserved his best for Australia.

Under Steve Waugh, Australia fielded a side comparable to Bradman's 1948 Invincibles or Ian Chappell's swaggering buccaneers of the 1970s.

WARNE TAMED

They met their match in India in 1998 when Tendulkar launched a sustained and successful assault on Warne, generally regarded as the best spinner of all time, to average 111.50 in a 2-1 series win for India.

On Tuesday, while Warne fumed via Twitter on Ricky Ponting's field placings, Tendulkar was still Australia's nemesis, scoring the winning runs to give India a 2-0 series victory which consolidated their place at the top of the world rankings.

Unsurprisingly the relentless demands of modern cricket have taken their toll and Tendulkar was troubled by injuries to his elbow and his shoulder and a slump in form in the middle of the last decade.

He rebounded to such effect that this year he was named the International Cricket Council's (ICC) cricketer of the year for the first time, after averaging 81.84 in 10 tests during the review period and 65.28 in 17 one-day internationals.

Tendulkar intends to play next year in the first World Cup to be staged on the Indian sub-continent for 15 years, a tournament which all India fervently hopes will give their team the trophy for the first time since their upset victory over West Indies in 1983.

That unexpected triumph sparked an explosion of one-day cricket in India accompanied by a commercial boom which has helped to make Tendulkar a wealthy man by any standards.

Wealth and fame, though, seem to have scarcely affected a man whose work ethic has been a constant since he accumulated prodigious scores as a schoolboy.

He was predictably named man-of-the-match and man-of-the-series after the second test against Australia but preferred to praise his team mates rather than talk about himself. When he did it was with humility and respect for his sport.

“I've played 20 years but that doesn't mean that I know everything about cricket,” Tendulkar said.

“It's important to be a student of this game. That's when you can actually learn and get better. Learning never stops.” -Reuters

He is good batsmen on flat dead pitches, but struggles on seaming English wickets. Averages around 30 in England. Career longevity is not equal to greatness. Anyone can score runs in 20 years, but other players are not selfish, they retire at right age to give chance to youngsters, not like Siachin who is just filling BCCE pockets.

He is good batsmen on flat dead pitches, but struggles on seaming English wickets. Averages around 30 in England. Career longevity is not equal to greatness. Anyone can score runs in 20 years, but other players are not selfish, they retire at right age to give chance to youngsters, not like Siachin who is just filling BCCE pockets.

welcome to the forum kid. :pop:

lol............ sachin's average

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/35320.html?class=1;template=results;type=allround

n Australia 1991-2008 16 1522 241* 58.53 6 7 2/10 44.42 0 13 0
in Bangladesh 2000-2010 7 820 248* 136.66 5 5 2/35 26.00 0 6 0
in England 1990-2007 13 1302 193 62.00 4 1 1/26 214.00 0 10 0
in India 1990-2010 76 6421 217 57.84 22 15 3/10 66.73 0 43 0
in New Zealand 1990-2009 11 842 160 49.52 2 6 2/7 18.83 0 5 0
in Pakistan 1989-2006 10 483 194* 40.25 1 4 2/36 44.75 0 6 0
in South Africa 1992-2007 12 835 169 39.76 3 3 1/9 41.33 0 10 0
in Sri Lanka 1993-2010 12 1155 203 67.94 5 0 - - 0 6 0
in West Indies 1997-2002 10 620 117 47.69 1 2 2/107 74.00 0 7 0
in Zimbabwe 1992-2001 4 240 74 40.00 0 1 1/19 57.00 0 0 0

what is your age???

The same flat piches are the ones which are played by all asian countries.. even when opposition comes here they are also playing on flat tracks.. He didnt get the records by playing India Vs Rest of India matches...

guys don't waste your time justifying yourself to this guy. sounds like he is another prankster just trying to wind people up!! we had a few off late!!

whatever, Afridi (lala)/Miandad/Z Abbas/Inzi/Younus/Imran > Sachin !!!!!!!!!

You are playing cricket against Minnows like New Zealand.

Dude firstly spell his name proper.....

and his 20 years of selfless service in India colours have seen him compete against generations of best bowlers of the time from all nations including your own .....his technique and longetivity, passion for the sport and discipline has been the subject of intense scrutiny and unrestrained praise from countless gentlemen both on the field and off it....a hundred times more qualified to comment than the likes of you and I....let us in our humble way praise the Maestro for what he is....one of his kind.......:cheers:

hahahaha...jealously at its peak

Sachin's first Test rivals hail Indian maestro

KARACHI: Former rivals of Sachin Tendulkar on Sunday praised the Indian batting master on the anniversary of his Test debut against Pakistan twenty years ago, describing him as a genuine role model.

Tendulkar, who plays his 160th Test against Sri Lanka at Ahmedabad from Monday, made his debut as a 16-year-old on November 15, 1989 against Pakistan in Karachi.

Former captain Ramiz Raja, who opened the innings for Pakistan in that Test, said Tendulkar had been amazing on and off the field.

‘We know what a genius Tendulkar has been but the way he has conducted himself off the field has been amazing,’ Raja told AFP.

‘He has been a great role model and there has been no controversy linked with him. It's amazing.

‘Tendulkar is so graceful that youngsters will follow him in the years to come. His records will remain in the books, and may be overhauled, but his grace would be unmatchable.’

Since making his debut, Tendulkar has scaled unmatchable heights, scoring 12,773 runs with 42 hundreds -- both world records in Tests -- and 17,178 with 45 centuries -- both world records -- in 436 one-day internationals.
Raja said very few people believed Kapil Dev's words on Tendulkar in 1989.

‘Dev told us to watch out for this kid and described him as world class material but we thought a 16-year-old couldn't be world class and were of the opinion that Dev was praising him because he was an Indian.

‘But when he showed confidence and hit Abdul Qadir for three sixes at Peshawar in a game, we realised his potential and the tour of Pakistan gave him the right kind of platform to build his great career.’

Another former captain, Javed Miandad, advised young people to follow Tendulkar's example.

‘Tendulkar is a genuine role model for youth of the world,’ said Miandad, himself a great batsman.

‘The way he projects himself off and on the field is remarkable and a lesson for others.’

Miandad singled out Tendulkar's passion for cricket.

‘I remember Tendulkar dived and took a catch off the last ball of the 50th over in a recent one-day match against Australia, which shows his passion for doing the best for India, otherwise very few people do such a thing off the last ball.’

Former leg-spinner Abdul Qadir praised Tendulkar as a great batsman.

‘Tendulkar is unmatchable,’ said Qadir, himself touted as a magician of spin.

‘The way he batted on that tour of Pakistan and hit quite a few sixes off me proved that he will have a great career.’

Tendulkar's rival in the first Test, paceman Waqar Younis, said Tendulkar was a genius.

‘The way he bats no one can match him,’ said Waqar, who also injured Tendulkar with a blow to his nose in the fourth Test at Sialkot.

‘His passion for batting never waned even after he was badly hit by one of my deliveries. He has been amazing.’

DAWN.COM | Cricket | Sachin's first Test rivals hail Indian maestro

whatever, Afridi (lala)/Miandad/Z Abbas/Inzi/Younus/Imran > Sachin !!!!!!!!!

You are playing cricket against Minnows like New Zealand.
Sorry India is playing against Australia not newzealand..and India won the test series just 4 days Back

Sorry India is playing against Australia not newzealand..and India won the test series just 4 days Back

india will play NZ next month, hindustan won Aus series due to biased Umpiring. sachin and indian kirket board rejected UDRS , now its easy to guess why :frown:

My Fav player indian side is Laxman, He is class, he cant slog like sachin in IPL etc. He is not after money. I respect such players who play for country.

My last post in this thread. :blah:

india will play NZ next month, hindustan won Aus series due to biased Umpiring. sachin and indian kirket board rejected UDRS , now its easy to guess why :frown:

My Fav player indian side is Laxman, He is class, he cant slog like sachin in IPL etc. He is not after money. I respect such players who play for country.

My last post in this thread. :blah:

thanks for the last post...........

2my9m3k.jpg

Back
Top Bottom