What's new

Telecom major Telenor writes off Rs 3,500 crore India assets

fallstuff

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Telecom major Telenor writes off Rs 3,500 crore India assets

NEW DELHI: Norwegian telecom major Telenor on Monday wrote off its remaining fixed and intangible assets in India worth Norwegian Krone 3.9 billion (over $680 million or Rs 3,500 crore) saying "the uncertainty has increased significantly" following the Supreme Court's ruling in February to cancel Unitech Wireless's 22 licences and the recent Trai recommendations on the re-auction of 2G licences and spectrum.

The statement from the company came a day after the company's Asia head Siggve Brekke told TOI that Telenor was considering exiting India if the regulator's recommendations were accepted by the government in their current form.

It joins Sistema and Etisalat in taking a hit on their balance sheets due to their exposure to India. All these companies have been affected by the Supreme Court order. Etisalat had written off around $820 million of its investment, while Sistema, which like Telenor is still to announce a pullout, took a $700 million hit. So, the three companies between them have written off close to Rs 15,600 crore due to their India exposure. Telenor and Sistema have also threatened to initiate international arbitration and seek damages from the government

The Norwegian firm holds 67% stake in Unitech Wireless which was controversially awarded licences and spectrum by former telecom minister A Raja, who is facing charges of criminal conspiracy and corruption. In February, the company had announced a write down of around $730 million, taking the total to over $1.4 billion (around Rs 7,200 crore at the current exchange rate).

"Telenor is working actively towards Indian authorities to bring forward an acceptable framework for continued operations. As a precautionary measure, Telenor ASA has decided to write down the remaining fixed and intangible assets in India amounting to NOK 3.9 billion. The write down will be included in Telenor's results for the first quarter 2012, to be presented on 8 May 2012. After the write down, Telenor has no further accounting exposure related to India as of 31 March 2012," the company said in a statement on Monday.

read more,

Telecom major Telenor writes off Rs 3,500 crore India assets - The Times of India

There is no more 2 g its going 3g now. BUT what is happening is these were the companies that profited through the 2 G scandals that are sweating bullets now because the free ride is over. Can any Indian confirm my understanding in this matter?

I'm sorry to burst this Bangladeshi's bubble and effort in red lining and highlighting stuff. He is all excited that he perhaps caught some " Indian failure" because words sounded like it … but this is a good thing .

Its not just Telenor. Its the same with other Telecom providers in India. The last quarterly earnings were down by 25% for AirTel and RCom. Worst is happening in Travel Industry with Air India and Kingfisher both looking for bailouts.

Depressing news all around.

off topic but how is telenor doing in Pakistan?

Telenor had a 67% stake in a JV with UNITECH which was floated to take part in the 2G spectrum auctions.
As of now Unitech CEO has been charge-sheeted in bribery case and almost all the companies who indulged in corruption (bribing) or tried to act as shell companies to existing telecom majors are getting the boot.

Heck, the Telecom Minister had to resign and was in jail for sometime.

#These foreign majors should have either done their homework and not clubbed up with just any other domestic company or are simply corrupt themselves, just for the sake of the getting a share of the one of the largest and fastest growing telecom industry in the world.

Unitech was only in real estate business prior to this JV. what the heck..

Bad for India... More loss of jobs I hear.

Sorry to burst your bubble kiddo but they never rolled out any service. They had zero customers and zero employees... :woot:

Its not just Telenor. Its the same with other Telecom providers in India. The last quarterly earnings were down by 25% for AirTel and RCom. Worst is happening in Travel Industry with Air India and Kingfisher both looking for bailouts.

Depressing news all around.

Here comes the Ustad Mini Haq …with his economic sense that says only if every company is profitable- then the countries economy is doing good. IF few enterprises lose out it means bad news all around. this the next generation brilliant analysts leading the way across the border :P

A fresh start and a new mind could do a lot of good, anyways the introduction of 4g could help them add more business if they keep their prices reasonable and good service will not hurt them.

where did hear? . you post many wonderful one liners about your super hearing ability I notice in many threads. you even heard that a NY nuclear reactor was magically sitting on India's land.

We already have seen Telenor and Etisalat become major players in Pakistan after being disappointed in India, I wonder if Pakistan can try again to bring in Sistema.

Sistema made a play for a CDMA based operator in Pakistan but the market for CDMA is quite small.

If they can do GSM, 3G, 4G LTE, they should be brought into Pakistan.

Not exactly ... it is one less corrupt company.

Btw, all the customers of Telenor have switched over, so I am sure the other operators have added more jobs to handle the load.

Back
Top Bottom