What's new

Tejas Needs to Cross 6 Milestones in 15 Months

LOL.. you obviously have no idea do you? The previous radar is different from this one. It is a standard practice to upgrade avionics as years go by in iterations. Since the newer radar range is not clear it cannot be used to distinguish between the 2 I agree. But there is the track figure. Older radar can track 10, while in the interview its stated that it can track 16.

Awesome research you ppl are doing. :lol:

Lanat app ki masoomiyat par. Haven't you read the translation of Interview I provided. JF-17 have same radar for block 1 and 2 which KLJ-7. I don't why are you pulling this awesome imaginary facts of different radars and what not

Double facepalm exactly, that you don't even went to info thread to see what exactly we are trying to tell you. But never mind. You are too lazy and stubborn to see through.

fair enough but anyone comparing primitive bars with 8-10 kw peak power with irbis e capable of 18kw peak power is living in a dream,u needs to wake up.

right now bars needs aesa upgrade as its the worst radar among heavy aircrafts in the world,pick any heavy aircraft u like and check.

and i am not even comparing it to f-15 aesa,just with captor pesa of typhoon and the erstwhile pesa of rafale.it looses badly

as also for jf-17 fanboys..give a concrete link or pls keep quiet

JF-17 Thunder

Here is the link. Now don't mention again where is the source or links. Good day

Lanat app ki masoomiyat par. Haven't you read the translation of Interview I provided. JF-17 have same radar for block 1 and 2 which KLJ-7. I don't why are you pulling this awesome imaginary facts of different radars and what not

Double facepalm exactly, that you don't even went to info thread to see what exactly we are trying to tell you. But never mind. You are too lazy and stubborn to see through.

JF-17 Thunder

Here is the link. Now don't mention again where is the source or links. Good day

this forum post is not a link sorry
behave more responsibly and cease to be a fanboy

this forum post is not a link sorry
behave more responsibly
and cease to be a fanboy

No one is your servant here. The purpose of think tank is to guide you, because when someone joins forum, he is capable enough of navigating through entire forum. What we do is to point them to specific places to look through. Hopefully, instead of wasting our times and arguing childishly, Update yourself about JF-17 which has matured completely.

No one is your servant here. The purpose of think tank is to guide you, because when someone joins forum, he is capable enough of navigating through entire forum. What we do is to point them to specific places to look through. Hopefully, instead of wasting our times and arguing childishly, Update yourself about JF-17 which has matured completely.

as u would have noticed i have also refuted the fanboy posts of indians too.
such tall claims need backing and u have none.

thats how the world works,on credible claims and not on fancy theories.

if klj-7 has indeed 140 km range good for u,,,but i am gonna take this with a pinch of salt as no legitimate source exists

as u would have noticed i have also refuted the fanboy posts of indians too.
such tall claims need backing and u have none.

thats how the world works,on credible claims and not on fancy theories.

if klj-7 has indeed 140 km range good for u,,,but i am gonna take this with a pinch of salt as no legitimate source exists

On a last page, An article is posted where JF-17 project director discuss different milestones achieved. 140 KM is quoted by him. Since you are not more knowledgeable than JF-17 project director, we don't care what you think.

On a last page, An article is posted where JF-17 project director discuss different milestones achieved. 140 KM is quoted by him. Since you are not more knowledgeable than JF-17 project director, we don't care what you think.

same goes here

a quote from somewhere is not a source.u need to do better

no no
the nose has enough capacity for el/m 2032
but the values here are not of 2032!!

there is some other problem it seems

As per statement,
Now the radome is made of composite materials and we will change it to quartz

Looks like material of the nose is creating noise and reducing the range, BUT I wonder has that happend to any other project before. It would be unusual if this is the case.

Now when dome material is changed to quartz, it will be 80KM, which means another review of radar (upgrade) is due or would 80KM be enough considering tejas scenario? If Tejas doesn't improve its radar range, would it be dependent on AWACS or SU-30s for further visibility? And if this is the case, it wouldn't be effective in BVR equations.

If I wouldn't offend Indians who are pretty sensitive about the subject, all the items mentioned in the article are imported and Tejas is designed using 10s of modules bought from varying vendors. If this is the case, Tejas may have synergy and performance sustenance problems.

Last edited:
All sources available on the net say max detection range of 2032 is 150km, which equals about 80 nautical miles. I think the writer of the article confused 80 nm as 80 km.
Israeli radars are fairly advanced.

and 50NM equals 92.6 KM which is respectable. I think writer has made a basic mistake here.. but if this is the case, how can you trust the other "milestones" he is mentioning. It is probably useless to comment on such doubtful report.

As per statement,

Looks like material of the nose is creating noise and reducing the range, BUT I wonder has that happend to any other project before. It would be unusual if this is the case.

Now when dome material is changed to quartz, it will be 80KM, which means another review of radar (upgrade) is due or would 80KM be enough considering tejas scenario? If Tejas doesn't improve its radar range, would it be dependent on AWACS or SU-30s for further visibility? And if this is the case, it wouldn't be effective in BVR equations.

If I wouldn't offend Indians who are pretty sensitive about the subject, all the items mentioned in the article are imported and Tejas is designed using 10s of modules bought from varying vendors. If this is the case, Tejas may have synergy and performance sustenance problems.
read the problem again

it has el/m 2032 which has a range of 120-150km

even after radome change they are saying only 80 km is the target??
seems like the new radome won't be very good either

and 50NM equals 92.6 KM which is respectable. I think writer has made a basic mistake here.. but if this is the case, how can you trust the other "milestones" he is mentioning. It is probably useless to comment on such doubtful report.
yea the report does look dubious

As per statement,

Why do you think in BVR, its a big deal??... we have Derby and python, whose confined range is 60KM.. and radar with 80KM range would be enough to suffice them, and 80 KM is a good distance, mostly AWACS and MKI will be the eye for all the fighters... with network centric farware enabled by Indian forces, it is not a big deal for one aircraft to fire and other aircraft to guide especially during wars... may be radar is needed during peace time as AWACS or MKI will not be there everywhere..

Why do you think in BVR, its a big deal??... we have Derby and python, whose confined range is 60KM.. and radar with 80KM range would be enough to suffice them, and 80 KM is a good distance, mostly AWACS and MKI will be the eye for all the fighters... with network centric farware enabled by Indian forces, it is not a big deal for one aircraft to fire and other aircraft to guide especially during wars... may be radar is needed during peace time as AWACS or MKI will not be there everywhere..

I am fairly convinced that it's 80nm and not 80km.

@he-man @Gessler and everybody else:

This radar range puzzle was explained on BR today by a poster who works on it. Usually radar ranges are reported for targets with RCS of 5m^2. However, India uses radar cross sections of 2m^2 for all calibration. Quoting him:

Its helps to look into the details before getting all upset and posting off the cuff.

Indian standard RCS for calibration is 2 sq mtrs. The MiG-29 radar range is detailed for a standard RCS of 5 Sq Mtr.
With the quartz radome (which means less loss in radome itself) the 80+ km for 2 sq mtrs translates to 100+ km for the LCA against a target of 5 Sq Mtrs, which is a fairly decent range for such a small fighter with a low RCS itself and in line with what the radar is designed for.
Its helps to look into the details before getting all upset and posting off the cuff.

These are the words of Dr K Tamil Mani, Director-General (Aeronautical Systems) DRDO.

“Though to integrate Indian weapons is not a planned test point for the final operational clearance (FOC) of Tejas, we have started working on it for some time now. The Astra missile integration with an improvised range of 80-plus km (currently 40-45 km) is the next big challenge. We have also planned some PGMs (precision-guided munitions) for Tejas, including glide bombs and GPS-guided bombs,” Mani said.

DRDO Set to Increase Desi Components on LCA

So Tejas is longing for 80KM range but currently its range is 40-45 Kilometers. That means it is not ready for BVR encounters.

indians won't believe when i tell them whenever i see an LCA thread opened i jump into it and read it with same joy as i would be reading jf-17 thunder thread because both these planes signify the glory and prosperity of subcontinent as we share the same history together. And Indians should be proud of it no matter what. It would be nice to see them in action against each other but i wish that day should never come. :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom