What's new

Tejas LCA sprints towards IAF's frontline squadron

SR-91

Reaction score
Country
India
If the indigenous Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) has taken decades for completion, it is now in a record-breaking sprint to the finish line. The Tejas has flown an unprecedented 450 test flights this year towards a splashy ceremony in Bangalore scheduled for December 20, where Defence Minister A K Antony will preside over its induction into the Indian Air Force (IAF).

That landmark event will be the award of the Tejas' Initial Operational Certificate (IOC), which will allow the country's first indigenous modern fighter to be flown by regular pilots of the Indian Air Force (IAF). The first Tejas squadron (18-20 fighters) will be based at Sulur, near Coimbatore.

So far, only highly qualified test pilots of the National Flight Testing Centre (NFTC) in Bangalore have flown the Tejas. In the 2,400 test flights since it took to the air in 2001, the NFTC has incrementally flown the Tejas higher, faster and carried out increasingly difficult manoeuvres and weapon firings to test it meets the IAF's requirements.

On Saturday, Group Captain Suneet Verma, a veteran NFTC test pilot, fired an air-to-air missile from the Tejas at an airborne target off the Goa coast, striking the target and taking the Tejas a step closer towards IOC.

While awarding the IOC, Antony will ceremonially hand over to the IAF boss, Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne, the fighter's "Release to Service Document (RSD)", which specifies the capabilities the Tejas has already demonstrated during flight testing.

This includes aerodynamic capabilities like speed, acceleration, climb rate and angle of attack; and also the basic weapons operations already tested on the Tejas, and the fighter's proven radar and sensor capabilities. The Tejas flight-testing programme has been a prolonged and painstaking exercise, since this is India's first modern fighter. The Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) - a special purpose vehicle of the Defence R&D Organisation (DRDO), set up to manage the Tejas programme - worried that a crash during flight-testing might be a fatal blow to the project itself, and so has handled flight testing cautiously, taking twice the time that experienced countries do.

Once the IOC is awarded, Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) will build the IAF's first 20 Tejas fighters on a brand new production line in Bangalore. HAL has told Business Standard that it aims to roll out the first two fighters by March 2014, deliver eight fighters by end-2014, and then enhance the production line's capability to 16 fighters a year.

So far, the IAF has committed to just 40 Tejas fighters. Of these, 20 will be built to IOC standards, and the next 20 ordered when Final Operation Clearance (FOC) is obtained. The defence minister has ordered the DRDO to ensure the FOC is not delayed beyond end-2014.

Avinash Chander, the DRDO chief, tells Business Standard the FOC will involve firing a range of different weapons, including missiles and bombs, and testing the fighter for mid-air refuelling.

"With the IAF now enthused about the Tejas, and participating actively in the project, we will surely obtain FOC next year. We could not have completed over 450 test flights this year without close cooperation between the IAF, ADA and HAL," says Chander.

After obtaining FOC for the Tejas, ADA will start work on the Tejas Mark II. The key change is replacing the General Electric F-404 engine that powers the Mark I with the larger, more powerful GE F-414 engine. This will involve re-engineering the Mark I to fit in the bulkier F-414, a technological challenge for ADA.

ADA has also briefed Business Standard that the Tejas Mark II would have more fuel capacity for added range; a retractable mid-air refuelling system; a DRDO-built Airborne Electronically Scanned Array radar; world beating air-to-air missiles; an on-board oxygen-generating system, and a state-of-the-art Electronic Warfare suite to confuse enemy radars and sensors. "Eventually, the IAF is very likely to have at least 200 Tejas fighters in its fleet," says Chander. :woot::woot::enjoy::enjoy:

Tejas LCA sprints towards IAF's frontline squadron | Business Standard

Last edited:
This is ridiculous,FOC will be in early 2015.Have they even fired operational BVR like r-77/derby?
Also have the issues with AoA been solved?Also it would take 2 yrs at TACDE to finalize combat tactics for this plane after demonstrators are sent there.
I see this operational only in 2015 and battle ready another yr later.

MOD and DRDO has been put Tejas on fast track. So have patience bro, Next five years will be very interesting, not just in defence research but India as a whole.

This is ridiculous,FOC will be in early 2015.Have they even fired operational BVR like r-77/derby?
Also have the issues with AoA been solved?Also it would take 2 yrs at TACDE to finalize combat tactics for this plane after demonstrators are sent there.

Some people believe that by 2017, LCA MKII should be ready. When do you think MKII will be inducted?

Some people believe that by 2017, LCA MKII should be ready. When do you think MKII will be inducted?

Depends on progress with AESA radar[where are they going to get this?israel?].To accomodate radar nose cone will have to redesigned at least 1-1.5 yrs work.Possibly air intakes as well for increased airflow.Other things will be fast as they are mostly developed and this time no kaveri fiasco as proven engine is already chosen . I think 2018-2019.All depends on the radar-which apparently hasn't been chosen yet-[dark clouds looming].

is it an acceptable product for IAF or pushed down their throat by def min?

Few more things are needed to operationalize, engine de-mounting fixtures, Radar replacement procedure at base depots, IOM documentation for major subsystems for production variants at BRD from where the tejas mk1 will operate from, ADA did not do a very good job in creating these, neither did HAL, but they are catching up. I m not worried about the BVR's which according to me should be operational very soon. The com bus arch is the same for R77 and R73 barring maybe a couple of variants (which I might add might not be an issue due to the newer arch on Elta MMR) Derby arch was developed almost plug and play for the Elta MMR, so that wont be an issue either and neither would be Raduga's (Kh series) A2G/AsW.... I do agree with your assessment on finalizing air combat tactics, but then again it took us substantially longer with the MKI to engineer the air combat tacs, almost 4 1/2 years if I can remember correctly..

There might be heavy disagreement from other members on consolidation of munitions on this but we have knocked heads on that on more than one occasion.

Last edited:
MOD and DRDO has been put Tejas on fast track. So have patience bro, Next five years will be very interesting, not just in defence research but India as a whole.
Interesting... and what are they exactly doing about that.... Sir, You might be mistaken as I believe it is HAL which had taken up itself to cater the deliverable's for the Mk2 and not ADA...

Tejas is for replacing MiG-21, just as JF-17 is for replacing F-7.

Tejas is for replacing MiG-21, just as JF-17 is for replacing F-7.
LCa Mk1 and Mk2 will also share a substantial workload of mig 27's too... LCA mk2 brings a large amount of versatility to the table, just like Jf17 can share F7, F7PG, Mirage 3 and to some extent F16's workload....

Depends on progress with AESA radar[where are they going to get this?israel?].

If we would focus on rational thinking and results, instead of indigenous pride, this would be the best and easiest option:

LCA MK2 + Rafale F3+ from 2017 onwards with RBE 2 AESA, produced by BEL and FSO produced by Samtel. IAF would get a ready and proven AESA, with less maintenance problems.
At the same time we could develop the indigenous AESA and Kaveri K10 for Mig 29K, as an upgrade to replace Zhuk Me and RD33 MK. That increases the indigenous content, makes us more independent from Russian upgrade offers, or later cost increases.

But as long as we insist on indigenous systems for indigenous fighters, LCA will keep delaying and the hope for a useful AMCA remains to be low!

LCa Mk1 and Mk2 will also share a substantial workload of mig 27's too... LCA mk2 brings a large amount of versatility to the table, just like Jf17 can share F7, F7PG, Mirage 3 and to some extent F16's workload....

J-10B replaces F-16 Block 52+, and is quite a big bigger than JF-17 Block 1.

The workload of LCA and JF 17 will be very different, since both air forces are very different. JF 17 brings total operational freedom to PAF, with roles and capabilities that the F16s couldn't offer. LCA on the other side will come at the low end of a force with MKIs and Rafales on the high end, which will take over all main roles in A2A AND A2G. That doesn't leave much for other fighters, except of air policing roles, or CAS and even here, there will be upgraded M2Ks and Mig 29s in competition to the LCA, not to mention that drones will get more and more importance and the delays of LCA will make it arrive nearly when these are available too. Recon and light CAS roles will be gone for fighters like LCA.

Back
Top Bottom