What's new

Tejas As Capable As Rafale Jet: Defence Minister

What I don't understand is, with all the "biggest democracy" they are bragging about, how they manage to put a bozo in such important position?

Same way your state media mouthpieces were hired. Have an ultranationalist view and a loud mouth.

Its a defence forum and we are here to discuss defence related issues if your getting ashamed by reading some of the comments here than stop your DM from making such foolish statesments because statements like these will only embarrass Indians all over the world

First make your own fighter aircraft, from inception to production. Then we will talk on the same par! And please don't give a lecture that we already do and it's the Jf-17, as they are assembled in pakistan, Chinese aircraft - the whole world knows that.

Last edited:
Tejas as capable as the Rafale....................:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:

Then why are they wasting money on rafale?
Yahi hota jab jahil ministers ban jaye :) .

While the statement is undoubtedly premature, I'd actually give them the benefit of the doubt.

If a notional Tejas upgrade (i.e. Mk. 4 or Mk. XX) could adopt key enhancements in the areas of airframe, avionics, engines, and weaponry, giving the Rafale (or more appropriately, a lightweight 4+ generation fighter like the Gripen NG) a run for its money isn't exactly out of the question. What the Rafale is today is essentially the result of a continuous upgrade program of its legacy self (recall that the first Rafale took to the skies in 1986).

I have a few proposals by which the Tejas could be incrementally upgraded to catch up to the Rafale's standards:
- AESA upgrade on future airframes (EL/M-2052, indigenous AESA, or a scaled-down Zhuk-AM/AME)
- Greater use of composites + radar-absorbent coating on the airframe
- IRST
- MAW sensors on tail
- Engine upgrade (F404-EPE or EJ2x0 Stage 2)
- HMS
- Addition of a high-off boresight missile (IRIS-T or AIM-9X)
- Addition of a very-long-range AAM (Meteor or R-77ME)
- Continuous upgrades to its onboard EW/ECM systems

I think an interpretation that makes sense is:

Tejas is as good in its intended role (LCA) as Rafale is in its intended role (MMRCA).

The feather weight boxing champion is as much a champion as the heavy weight boxing champion,
but the heavy weight boxing champion would make mince-meat of his colleague, if they meet in the ring.
(Noone cares about the feather weight champion, of course)

Best entertainment I had this week. :rofl:
How delusional Indians can be? No limit? He is a minister, not fan boy.

Last edited:
Stop finding excuse. Your made in India weapon is not up to par and cannot satisfy the military need. They are forced to source from export.

Indian always need to find an excuse to mask their impotency. Indian cannot be wrong. :lol:

What do you mean? LCA fits fine as a low-tier multi role fighter. There are several local made products, along with outside sources.

Sir,the role of tejas is just interceptor or CAS as its LWT,Its very difficult to assume that JF-17 crosses the border for deep strike crossing SAM like S-400,Bararks etc,so chances are very slim for engagement.But personally i would like, since TEJAS will be loaded with AESA radar and Python and Derby missile.
Pakistan doesn't have much strategic depth. It makes sense for the Tejas to aim for a couple of hundred kms within Pakistani territory after taking off from a forward airbase. C'mon we don't make these planes as mantlepieces, sooner or later they will square off. May the best man-machine coupling win

Pakistan doesn't have much strategic depth. It makes sense for the Tejas to aim for a couple of hundred kms within Pakistani territory after taking off from a forward airbase. C'mon we don't make these planes as mantlepieces, sooner or later they will square off. May the best man-machine coupling win
You know it very well,to strike deep we have air superiority planes such as Sukhoi/MIG-29,Miraaj -2000, and Rafaels are coming.Just to satisfy some ego we will not send LWF,PAF being defensive airforce will hesitate to strike INDIAN FOB,in cover of SAM.
Tejas is also coming aircraft carriers in Navy so yes you may see some action in Karachi and in your territorial waters around GWADAR,and offfcourse in CAS.

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/tejas-as-capable-as-rafale-jet-defence-minister-1627624

Tejas As Capable As Rafale Jet: Defence Minister
All India | Indo-Asian News Service | Updated: November 19, 2016 23:32 IST

tejas-by-hal_650x400_41460633091.jpg

Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar also said that Tejas a top light combat aircraft (LCA).

PANAJI: The indigenously manufactured light combat aircraft 'Tejas', which was inducted into the Indian Air Force earlier this year, is as good as the French-made Rafale fighter jet and comparable with other top LCAs across the world, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said on Saturday.

"This is a plane which is completely indigenously manufactured and can compete with any other fighter plane in the world. It is as capable as the Rafale. Only this is a light combat aircraft (LCA)," Mr Parrikar said.

"Only a 3.5 ton missile can be carried on it, Rafale on the other hand can carry a nine-ton (missile). This plane can fly at the rate of 450 km, Rafale can run 900 km because it has twin engines," he added.

The Defence Minister also said that the Tejas, which was stalled for 33 years, was expedited because of his explicit directions to those in-charge of the project.

"I told them that all shortcomings should be fulfilled and the plane should be ready in a year," Mr Parrikar said, adding that some days ago an order had been placed for 83 more planes.

I have a few questions to our indian fraaaaands regarding their honourable defense ministers comments about tejas. i hope they answear honestly

- why waste buying rafale if tejas is as capable as rafale ?
- Since Rafele can fly 2x the speed of tejas because of its twin engine, then surely it would been better to tie two tejas together and get the same result no ? why waste cash

:-)

The amount of Pakistani and Chinese members having a good time in this thread... priceless.

:welcome:

I have a few questions to our indian fraaaaands regarding their honourable defense ministers comments about tejas. i hope they answear honestly

- why waste buying rafale if tejas is as capable as rafale ?
- Since Rafele can fly 2x the speed of tejas because of its twin engine, then surely it would been better to tie two tejas together and get the same result no ? why waste cash

:-)

Not sure why would someone ask questions like this.

1. Tejas is cheap. Production line is Indian. Tech is Indian. As the platform mature, it will reduce the dependency on others. Thats the point of Tejas. It is not that you dont understand that. It is just you want to mock India. It is fine.
2. India tried that. But the DRDO is still developing the carbon nano tube rope to do that. You know DRDO, they take a lot of time.

These answers are honest as possible.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom