What's new

Team USA

They were litterbugs back then too.

LOL! That is awesome, watching all those classic Fords and Chevys from the 30's and 40's. You would think they'd have serious problems with those steep roads in that city and those old cars, but they seemed to handle them quite easily. Love that pink Chevy classic convertible with the lady waiting in it. Looks like she was parked right where Mrs. Doubtfire worked lool.

That first video of cruising around the capital made me think what year that was exactly? Since the 1940's was truly a decade that defined the United States for what it became, the world's only real superpower in all fields.

Let's see, you had:
- Franklin D, Roosevelt finish his 2nd term and get reelected for his unprecedented 3rd term
- The Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor in 1941 prompting the US to enter WWII until 1945
- 1945 FDR dies and Harry Truman takes over as president and issues the first ever use of the atomic bomb on Japan.
- Hitler gets pinched in Berlin by the Russians on one side and the British, Canadians and Americans on the other.
- The US is victorious in Europe V-Day on May 8th, 1945
- The US is victorious against Japan on August 15th, also 1945.
A huge decade for the US leading up to what is probably one of the most prosperous decades in US history in the 1950s.

While there are other events that also occurred in the 1940s, these ones are pretty much the major, defining ones. When you look at it in that perspective, I don't think there is any other decade that comes close, as far as truly major defining and history altering moments. Not even the 1960s which might come as a close 2nd. Maybe the 1860's with the tenure of arguably the greatest president this country has ever seen in Abraham Lincoln, his emancipation proclamation and his leadership of the Union in the civil war. I guess that was also a pretty defining decade.

BTW, there's been quite a few right whale sightings off the coast of Cape Cod this late winter and now into spring. These guys from MA Charters were out there looking for them when they ran into this 12 foot great white. That guy is nuts if he thinks he's gonna reel that thing in standing on that top deck with no gunwale (side walls) or rail lol! Crazy bastardos.

1649897506843.png

Last edited:
LOL! That is awesome, watching all those classic Fords and Chevys from the 30's and 40's. You would think they'd have serious problems with those steep roads in that city and those old cars, but they seemed to handle them quite easily.

I have to say that was a really big standout in those movies. Considering the weight of those cars and the crappy drum brakes I can't understand how they could possibly handle being parked like that.

Also automatics were not as common back then to bail out your @ss so uh pulling really hard on the handbreak was all you could do.

I have to say that was a really big standout in those movies. Considering the weight of those cars and the crappy drum brakes I can't understand how they could possibly handle being parked like that.

Also automatics were not as common back then to bail out your @ss so uh pulling really hard on the handbreak was all you could do.

Yes! Noticed how some of them were parked sideways on the really steep roads further up the hills? They probably just couldn't stay in pace and strained the brakes big time! lol

And you're right about the weight - those things were built like brick crap houses looool using probably 5mm steel for all the panels etc. They weren't too concerned about many of the things we obsess about nowadays. Imaging the emissions on those things and how much toxic materials were used to build them? Not to mention how many people died of unsafe assembly lines and things of that sort. Yet they only thrived and got better and better through the decades.

Ant, Com. Ave in 1941. Doesn't look like it has changed much.

1649970265526.png

Downtown Washington street in 1963. Remember Filene's Basement?! :)

1649970378932.png

Malibu Beach in Dorchester also in the 1940s. It's much smaller today. Back then when it was all Irish!

1649971257925.png

Building the Prudential also in 1963.

1649970588301.png

North End in the 1950s

1649970700491.png

An employee inside the Federal Reserve Bank in Boston back in the mid 1980's organizing 20 million dollars in $100 bills! So that's what it looks like LOL!

1649970829824.png

1649970843921.png

Ant, Com. Ave in 1941. Doesn't look like it has changed much.

View attachment 834432
Downtown Washington street in 1963. Remember Filene's Basement?! :)

View attachment 834433

Malibu Beach in Dorchester also in the 1940s. It's much smaller today. Back then when it was all Irish!

View attachment 834443

Building the Prudential also in 1963.

View attachment 834438

North End in the 1950s

View attachment 834439

An employee inside the Federal Reserve Bank in Boston back in the mid 1980's organizing 20 million dollars in $100 bills! So that's what it looks like LOL!

View attachment 834440
View attachment 834441

Not too familiar with the Orange Trolleys (just Green ones). I think it used to run near NorthEastern University.

I still have a few Champion socks left after I loaded up on them in Filene's basement one day (~1995) during one of their crazy discounts.

Can't say I ever walked on Malibu Beach. Drove by it a lot.

I remember them building the John Hancock Tower and the plywood covering the windows that subsequently fell out. lol

Last edited:
Not too familiar with the Orange Trolleys (just Green ones). I think it used to run near NorthEastern University.

I still have a few Champion socks left after I loaded up on them in Filene's basement one day during one of their crazy discounts.

Can't say I ever walked on Malibu Beach. Drove by it a lot.

I remember them building the John Hancock Tower and the plywood covering the windows that subsequently fell out. lol

Weren't the orange trolleys pre-green ones? Then they created the actual orange line and changed those orange trolleys to the green line, maybe? That was all before my time here.

My wife loved Filens's Basement. I used to drop her off and go back up and outside and sit on one of the benches and watch street performers or just people walking by to pass the time, which was at least 1 to 1-1/2 hours until she had her fill or broke the bank account!

Interesting tidbit about the John Hancock - I had a project where we needed to either replace a whole lot of windows because they didn't meet code for tempered glass, or cover the glass with safety plastic. I went looking for that clear plastic and found it at a glass store that had the contract to do all the new Hancock windows they replaced that were falling out and I got one of the rolls that was used on that building, It was more than I needed so I still have most of it in the shop.

Last edited:
Weren't the orange trolleys pre-green ones? Then they created the actual orange line and changed those orange trolleys to the green line, maybe? That was all before my time here.

My wife loved Filens's Basement. I used to drop her off and go back up and outside and sit on one of the benches and watch street performers or just people walking by to pass the time, which was at least 1 to 1-1/2 hours until she had her fill or broke the bank account!

Interesting tidbit about the John Hancock - I had a project where we needed to either replace a whole lot of windows because they didn't meet code for tempered glass, or cover the glass with safety plastic. I went looking for that clear plastic and found it at a glass store that had the contract to do all the new Hancock windows they replaced that were falling out and I got one of the rolls that was used on that building, It was more than I needed so I still have most of it in the shop.

I think they were always Orange. I don't think those trolleys used any of the current Orange/Green line tracks. They were just some local street loop in the Roxbury area that is now serviced by buses.

Filene's basement was a crapshoot. Usually the odd sizes that nobody wanted. Any good stuff was picked through quickly by the daily scavengers.

Funny about that Hancock plastic. haha. I guess they made more than an adequate supply.

So one thing I remember about Boston was the pre-no-fault insurance days in the 1970's. Geez. Every other car had a huge dent or a crushed in corner. It was really really really sad. Just imagine 365 days of seeing what people today call their old winter beaters.

Last edited:
Ant, did you catch that Celtics game 2? Game one was a last second heart-pounding, thrilling win, but this one was just great! And they haven't played their best basketball yet.

Ant, did you catch that Celtics game 2? Game one was a last second heart-pounding, thrilling win, but this one was just great! And they haven't played their best basketball yet.

No I didn't catch it.

So I was standing in a parking lot between the Brighton New Balance and the Stop&Shop and either a Chinook or a Sea knight flew quickly directly over me from West to East.

It was loud! I could hear it coming but the New Balance building blocked my view. I was looking around trying to figure out where it was and I only ended up seeing something with tandem rotors for a split second after it flew over the building.

Last edited:
No I didn't catch it.

So I was standing in a parking lot between the Brighton New Balance and the Stop&Shop and either a Chinook or a Sea knight flew quickly directly over me from West to East.

It was loud! I could hear it coming but the New Balance building blocked my view. I was looking around trying to figure out where it was and I only ended up seeing something with tandem rotors for a split second after it flew over the building.

That's cool to see a Chinook! Too bad that damn building was in the way!
Yeah those things will thump your chest out if they're flying low enough.

Celtics are playing record-setting basketball, man. If you get a chance to watch them, I highly recommend it because they're so exciting and since the middle of the season, they've gone on a record-setting winning streak and pace and went from 8th in the conference to 2nd and really should've beat Milwaukee for 1st. Now they're up 3-0 in the series against Kevin Durant, Kyrie Erving loool and the Brooklyn Nets with a chance to sweep the series tomorrow night, I think it is. Very fun team to watch.

Sucks, not sure why but the Rhode Island National Guard air show got cancelled. The F-22 and AV8B Harrier were scheduled to perform demos along with a heritage flight and combined arms demonstration. We'll have to check other ones like in Westfield or New Hampshire or somewhere. Shame,

Back
Top Bottom