Tayyip Erdoan: “We will raise a religious generation”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zulkarneyn

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, by using the expression “We will raise a religious generation” during a speech he delivered in Parliament, instantly changed Turkey’s agenda.
Heated debates broke out between those for and against Erdoğan’s speech. While the conservatives spoke and wrote querulously of the insufficiency of religious education in Turkey and the problems it generated, the opponents of his speech argued that the understanding of raising a religious generation was an assertion that takes Turkey down the wrong path. Though the liberals approached the matter with suspicion, they said not too much should be read into Erdoğan’s speech and, just as with every freedom, religious freedom should also be defended. While discussions continued both on an intellectual level and in the media the prime minister clarified what he meant. He said his expression of rearing religious youth had been misunderstood and that his government had no intention whatsoever of making everyone religious, even though he himself was in favor of religious youth anyhow.

As a backdrop to all these discussions, a deputy from the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) submitted a bill to Parliament to increase the period of compulsory education to 12 years and split the existing uninterrupted compulsory system of education into three stages. That step added a new dimension to the “religious generation” discussion. The discussion then focused on whether the education should be divided into three four-year segments as expressed in the 4+4+4 formula, which allows students to opt for distance learning if they so wish, or whether it should remain as it is now: eight years of primary compulsory education. Religion and education is an incendiary issue which has occupied Turkey’s agenda since the very beginning of the republic, flaring up from time to time. This debate is, in fact, an issue in the context of Turkey’s modernization of how Turkish citizens’ mental profile should be shaped. There are those on one side championing the cause of an education system based on the state’s ideological understanding, and those on the other who want the kind of system of education developing the people’s religious, linguistic and cultural traditions.

In my opinion this issue should be dealt with not in terms of historical, political or ideological differences, but on the basis of Turkey’s needs as an individual, society and state. I would like to underline three important points, looking at the matter from the perspective of sheer education.

The right to an education consistent with one’s needs

The first is the need for genuine freedom and equality in education. In line with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other similar legal charters, an individual should have the right and choice to get the education consistent with his or her religious, political and other needs. The crucial point in this framework is the necessity of introducing alternative institutions catering to the educational needs of the people. Public authorities can offer these opportunities or they can give permission for civil bodies and organizations to meet these needs and support them. Another important point is the necessity of providing everyone an equal and participatory opportunity. It is imperative that citizens, no matter who they are, should be approached equally to fulfill their requirements. Viewed from this perspective, removing the obstacles standing in the way of getting religious or non-religious education and preparing and implementing programs in line with their demands should be inevitable. The common denominator for these two points is to provide for all kinds of educational activities being carried out within the boundaries of law and public order. The second is the necessity that Turkey makes good use of the global education models, the Bologna process in particular. No matter what education model, the institutions of education in Turkey should be of a caliber to compete with their rivals both in Europe and in the rest of the world. That means that not only the conditions of religious education but also those of non-religious education such as science, social studies, technology, linguistics and universal values need to be improved. Turkey has to be supplied with the equipment enabling it to be successful in the Bologna process, which is one aspect of Turkey EU accession.

The overarching aim of the Bologna process is to ensure that youths become creative, participatory, proactive and supportive of their personal development. It takes for granted that the basic purpose of education is not to bring about a unified body of students resembling one another but, on the contrary, to see to it that education contributes to the students’ development in conformity with their capabilities, talents, potentials and objectives. Diversity and pluralism have been ensured in educational institutions. The fact of the matter is that Turkey has made considerable progress in having different models, especially in high school education. Standard lycées, vocational schools and imam-hatip schools (Muslim parochial schools) are only some of those models. If there is such diversity, what is the problem?

The problem in Turkey, which is the third point I want to talk about, is that there is not a healthy working relationship between educational institutions and the employment needs of Turkey. Youths who complete their high school education cannot have their employment aspirations fully fulfilled. One of the important reasons for that is the line of serious bureaucratic and psychological obstacles standing in the way of students getting vocational training and selecting a profession. With the introduction of eight years of primary compulsory education and a set of tough conditions for entry into the desired departments of universities for vocational school graduates, demand for those schools has dwindled. Another reason is the serious shortcomings and deficiencies in the vocational and general educational system in Turkey.

Given these points, the recent days’ discussions may well serve as an opportunity for enacting reforms toward a better educational system in Turkey. If that opportunity were to be used properly, a competitive, free, egalitarian educational system and model open to universal participation and conducive to developing employment opportunities and capabilities can be set up.

Controversy over education of religious generation <br><i>by</i> <b>Ramazan Gözen*</b>

i doubt it i used to think this Turkish leader was good. but he seems to be everything to all men. In any event Nato will not allow this to happen

How is NATO not going to let something which concerns Turkey happen? We didn't permit USA enter Iraq through Turkey, that shows that we are not someones pawn. We are an independent and strong country, one of the few in world. And who is US to dictate us on this matter?

How is NATO not going to let something which concerns Turkey happen? We didn't permit USA enter Iraq through Turkey, that shows that we are not someones pawn. We are an independent and strong country, one of the few in world. And who is US to dictate us on this matter?

mate I hope what you say is correct. I would love to see Turkey strong etc. But the west and Nato seem hypersensitive to Islam and Muslims. But tell me more about your leader. In the past I have admired this chap. But in the last 6 months or so I have seen him perhaps say constrained somewhat??

mate I hope what you say is correct. I would love to see Turkey strong etc. But the west and Nato seem hypersensitive to Islam and Muslims. But tell me more about your leader. In the past I have admired this chap. But in the last 6 months or so I have seen him perhaps say constrained somewhat??

He underwent a surgical operation that's why he wasn't much on the media. The records speak for itself mate, Turkey has moved mountains during his reign ;)

i doubt it i used to think this Turkish leader was good. but he seems to be everything to all men. In any event Nato will not allow this to happen

What has Nato to do anything with this? Do you think Turkey decides what to do to educate their children with Nato`s approval or something Aryan? Also, your personal opinion about Erdogan is irrelevant to this thread..as PGK thanked your comment, may be you should have a bashing Turkey party in Iran sub-forum

Some people don't seem to understand what the NATO is.

Turkey at the top of degeneration in these years since 10 years..
Erdo&#287;an say "We want a religious generation" but how it will be?
Education system is completely un-Islamic..
Moral decadence and crime rate in very high level..
Families are breaking.. Disrespect in everywhere..
A true education that fed with Islamic values is only remedy..!! But when?

I don't understand peoples opposition to Islamic Religious teachings. Islam promotes peace and teaches its adherents responsibility. Religious Teachings of Islam have been manipulated by some evil people to further their own terrorist agendas, but then you cannot blame Islamic religion for that.

It is like Nuclear Technology, which can be used for a good purposes like Electric Power generation and curing cancer OR it can be used to destroy Humanity through Nuclear Bombs. In itself the Nuclear Technology is not Evil, it is how it is used.

Similarly, Islamic teachings can be used to teach Muslims to be peaceful and take responsibility for their actions. It should never be used to justify for offensive acts. Islam only Justifies war where Muslims are being oppressed and are under occupation.

Pakistanisage, I will tell you why people are opposed because in reality Islam is bringing death and war, oppression and backwardness. Of course you as a religious man probably won't accept that but open your eyes and show me a single country where it worked.

Not necessary to say that the same goes with each religion, except for maybe Buddhism.

Turkey at the top of degeneration in these years since 10 years..
Erdo&#287;an say "We want a religious generation" but how it will be?
Education system is completely un-Islamic..
Moral decadence and crime rate in very high level..
Families are breaking.. Disrespect in everywhere..
A true education that fed with Islamic values is only remedy..!! But when?

Throw unnecessary religious obligations, make people love Islam, make people do Islam.

Modern life does not allow man to do namaz / Salah 5 times. Can it be made easier?
Is it necssary to do 5 times?
Must a man go to Mosque to do Salah?

What has Nato to do anything with this? Do you think Turkey decides what to do to educate their children with Nato`s approval or something Aryan? Also, your personal opinion about Erdogan is irrelevant to this thread..as PGK thanked your comment, may be you should have a bashing Turkey party in Iran sub-forum

Don't bother with him, any country or leader criticize Iranian regime's , they would be zionists, Masons, and NATO foot lickers. This is how their twisted way of thinking works. Let them speak out, after-all, their views have no value on the ground, while our views which represent the majority as well as the strong side in the world Reflect the reality. I admire Erdogan and I think he will turn Turkey to a prominant player in international arenas.

Pakistanisage, I will tell you why people are opposed because in reality Islam is bringing death and war, oppression and backwardness. Of course you as a religious man probably won't accept that but open your eyes and show me a single country where it worked.

Not necessary to say that the same goes with each religion, except for maybe Buddhism.

just out of interest what is/was your religious background?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom