What's new

Tawheed Jamath Protest against Minimum age of Marriage in Sri Lanka

What's so special about 18? Something magical happens between the day before 18th birthday and the day one turns 18? ........ Why not 20? 21? 24?
any number will be arbitrary, every person matures emotionally at different age and take decision for himself/herself, but you cant make a law so subjective that it becomes meaningless, hence a fixed number.
18 seems to be a good number in south asia, it can be lower in europe.

That's mostly the age where people finishes their formal education.

A more logical answer than the Indian above you.

Other than that humans can reproduce from the age of 16 or so. However reproduction of such a early age is not a necessity now. Rather a vestige from the past where people had a life expectancy around 40 years.

Marriage is not = reproduction. Stop equating them.

Reproduction is a choice. You can choose to postpone it.

any number will be arbitrary, every person matures emotionally at different age and take decision for himself/herself, but you cant make a law so subjective that it becomes meaningless, hence a fixed number.
18 seems to be a good number in south asia, it can be lower in europe.

The minimum age for "consensual sex" is very low in Europe. I think 13 in certain countries.

For Muslims, the only way to legally have sex is marriage. Either make it legal to have sex before marriage or let people marry earlier.

Why lose out on all those post-puberty years?

The minimum age for "consensual sex" is very low in Europe. I think 13 in certain countries.

For Muslims, the only way to legally have sex is marriage. Either make it legal to have sex before marriage or let people marry earlier.

I don't see a 13 year old boy getting married to a 42 yr old woman. The day when that happens , u can give me that BS

Yes they happen and they are more prevalent among hindus even after laws being implemented whereas child marriages among Indian muslims are less prevalent compared to their population share even though there is no law preventing it, I guess that explains all.

A Indian had to counter since you were speaking about Indians(Indian muslims to be specific)
Hindus are not complaining and asking for the marriage age to be reduced. Those doing it are breaking the law and not seeking to change the law in their favor. Now stay on topic if you can. In case you want to discuss disgusting child marriages in Hinduism, Christianity or Buddhism, I suggest you open a thread for the same.

But stay on topic here.

I don't see a 13 year old boy getting married to a 42 yr old woman. The day when that happens , u can give me that BS

A 42 year old man marrying a 13 year old girl without her consent is unacceptable. And in all likelihood, a 13 year old will never consent to marry a middle aged man/woman.

What we want is a system that let's two consenting individuals do whatever they want with their lives - it is not the state's job to interfere in private affairs. So you don't decide the age gap between the couple with your votes.

dear friend, you are not getting the point here....If also it is happening in Hindus, we all condemn it..It is a bad thing and should be stopped. It does not matter if it is my religion..But the issue is that some of the Muslims get defensive when such kind of discussion comes up....Not only child marriage, even Hindus have much bigger and hail lot of issues..But we understand, accept and admit that this wrong....We expect that in the same vein, certain basic civil rules should be accepted by every one irrespective of the religion it belongs to.
You preached the choir to the wrong guy. :) But never mind. Let's discuss the issue at hand here.

Well that's a handicap for muslims but I think they should forgo the pleasure for a few years to have a society that is more healthy. In south asia at least there is constant pressure to have a child after marriage, and most such young mothers suffer poor health. Also because they rarely finish their education, they cannot gain employment easily. You cant have a healthy society with half of your people being unproductive.

As to whether it should be left to free will of minor(to get married), in that case they should also bear full responsibility for it. Are you willing to remove the difference the way state treats a minor and an adult?

Consensual sex between post pubescent minors should not be illegal in my view.

13 year old will never consent to marry a middle aged man/woman.
Not if the man offers her a lifetime worth of lolipops and dresses and all. Immature people will fall for such small bribes. Mature people will not. Hence the minimum age.

In fact all religious laws in Sri Lanka should be removed. Don't make the mistake India did. Keep no religious laws, even in the civil sections - AT ALL.

Otherwise you will see only 2% of the people creating trouble for the rest - over and over again.

Not if the man offers her a lifetime worth of lolipops and dresses and all. Immature people will fall for such small bribes. Mature people will not. Hence the minimum age.

This logic can be extrapolated to all ages.

A 20 year old will marry a rich $cum promising endless riches.

A 50 year old will think more "maturely".

At what point do you reach "ultimate maturity"? And who decides?

This logic can be extrapolated to all ages.

A 20 year old will marry a rich $cum promising endless riches.

A 50 year old will think more "maturely".

At what point do you reach "ultimate maturity"? And who decides?
Nobody decides.

The metric to understanding it simple. Completing education. High school completion is minimum. That makes it roughly 16 to 18 years in most countries.
Hence the magic numbers of 16 to 18. The expectation is that after that a person is in position to make his decisions for him/herself. But of course your argument is based on faith and can not be argued against. Only opposed.

In south asia at least there is constant pressure to have a child after marriage, and most such young mothers suffer poor health. Also because they rarely finish their education, they cannot gain employment easily. You cant have a healthy society with half of your people being unproductive.

What I can agree with is that early marriage in South Asia is a bad idea.

It's imposed upon the bride and to add to the injury she is not given a choice to postpone having children.

So I'm against early marriage "subcontinent style" - but I believe there's nothing wrong with marriage between consenting post-pubescent individuals.

Nobody decides.

The metric to understanding it simple. Completing education. High school completion is minimum. That makes it roughly 16 to 18 years in most countries.
Hence the magic numbers of 16 to 18. The expectation is that after that a person is in position to make his decisions for him/herself. But of course your argument is based on faith and can not be argued against. Only opposed.

Now you are changing your rationale.

If you scroll up, you can see I already agreed with Heinz that education is a factor why 18 was chosen.

My argument is more West influenced than faith influenced. You won't see that though, because your only interest is bashing Islam.

A 42 year old man marrying a 13 year old girl without her consent is unacceptable. And in all likelihood, a 13 year old will never consent to marry a middle aged man/woman.

What we want is a system that let's two consenting individuals do whatever they want with their lives - it is not the state's job to interfere in private affairs. So you don't decide the age gap between the couple with your votes.
Consent ???? What does a 13 year old girl know about marriage n consent ??? She just toes the lines of the elders without understanding anything.
Put a hormonaly charged 13 yr old boy and ask him to marry, he will give his consent, irrespective of the brides age.
Consent are taken from adults, not kids. And 13 year olds are kids not adults.
One question to u too, would u marry off ur 13 year old sister if she gives her "consent" to marry a 42 year old rich man ????

If you scroll up, you can see I already agreed with Heinz that education is a factor why 18 was chosen.
I did not cover the whole syllabus, sorry.

She's pretty and has rejected rich men in the past. ; )

She likes handsome men though. I doubt a 42 year old will meet her standards.
13. And handsome 'men'?

Sick.

I am out. No offence intended.
It is a civilization shock that I don't wish to get over with.

What I can agree with is that early marriage in South Asia is a bad idea.

It's imposed upon the bride and to add to the injury she is not given a choice to postpone having children.

So I'm against early marriage "subcontinent style" - but I believe there's nothing wrong with marriage between consenting post-pubescent individuals.
Well lets talk about europe then. The fundamental principle is this: The state cannot agree to sanction marriage(which gives certain privileges) to people who are incapable of taking decision for themselves and state has appointed trustees(usually parents) to take decision on their behalf. And marriage is too big a decision to be taken by trustees.

The age where you draw the line depends on the society, in some european countries you see much higher level of maturity at younger age. No matter where you draw the line, they should also have responsibility like adults(including may be criminal responsibility for not taking care of their kids).

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom