What's new

Tata Advanced Systems tying up with Bell Helicopter to compete for $2-billion naval chopper contract

What do you mean by expected RFI ? don't tell me some desi jouro.

It is even hilarious to even think CG can sustain operating this sized helo without navy commonality. I rather believe less corrupt IN.

As far as i understand there is a separate requirement for 12 tonne + heli for around 24 numbers. And HAL offered 12.5 tonne new helicopter but couldn't find foreign partner at that time (back in 2010).

Also i don't find any navy going for 10+ tonne helo in such a large number compared to heavier. Look at japanese navy heli structure Seahawk is the dominate one. It is the perfect size.

I find it hard to believe the argument that a mass produced medium US heli as pricey compared to a less produced European heavier heli.

Turkey just ordered 109 S-70 for $3.5 billion with full production line,ToT and MRO. They got it cheap because they already have a supply chain. i am expecting a slimier deal. Too long waiting for the initial deal to clear. :mad:

I am all in for commonality, that is how you plan for long term. Which in turn facilitates faster decision.

@Rikbo @Penguin

1. About the expected RFI. The number 123 and expected medium weight naval helicopter and EC pitching in EC725 are from the meetings of EC and other French Defence manufacturers with PM Modi when he visited France last time and 36 Rafale news came. You can verify this.

2. About Coast Guard, the source is Economic Times article. I find no reason why with full EC support ICG will not be able to operate 14 helicopters from Shore.

3. At the moment there are 3 procurement programs for rotary wing platforms for Navy.
1. The Naval Warfare helicopter contract with secondary SAR and Transport capability where Sirkosky , NHI and Kamov were competitors and S70B till now seems winning it.

2. Naval Light Utility helicopter. 4.5-6 ton helicopter , Bell, EC, are two main competitors , Wildcat was the likely winner when the 56 Helicopter RFI was withdrawn and later AW went down.

3.Naval Medium Multirole Helicopter with multirole capability , earlier when the competition for 16 helicopters which S70B won was running, it was planned 44-60 follow on helicopters will be ordered of the winner, but as of now a RFI was issued for 100+ helicopters , cancelled and again expected to be reissued in mid 2015.

There is no other competition.

All the major Naval powers are operating 12-14tons naval helo, name it. France, Italy, UK... AW101 has won there till now , but UK will see HM225 , their version of EC725. Operating EC725s or AW101 has their own advantages over NHI90 or MH60.

Further one thing to be noticed is that any nation capable of replacing the capability of SeaKings are actually going for 12-14 tons helicopter. USA chose commonality , its their choice , it should not influence us.

One more thing to be noticed is the need for Tactical Transport in Navy , S70B with 8 passengers , surely doesn't provide it.

Even if in small , IN will need heavier helicopters. Imagine USN/MC just with MH60 series ,will it be d Same ? No.Stallions play a big role for them.

I am not sure EC725 is one. Primary why should IN go and and another chopper when S-70B is good enough and supply chain will already exist ?
Secondly EC725 is around 1.5-2 tonne heavier than S-70B.(Possible disqualification, bigger = hard to maintain, pricey)
The IN has a requirement for 3 types of helo:

4 ton NLUH
10 ton NMRH (for ASW and utility)
12 ton NMRH (for ASW and utility)

The S-70B is a 10 ton NMRH and will be ordered but then so will the EC-725/H225M (most likely IMO). Airbus have tied up with Mahindra and if they secure this order they will be making the EC-725/H225M in India.

Addtionally the ICG has already selected the EC-725/H225M to be their long range SAR helo.

Furthermore the IAF and IA (apparently) have outstanding requirements for the EC-725/H225M so I would say there is a huge market for the EC-725 in India.

Back
Top Bottom