What's new

Tartus, who needs it?

Vassnti

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
One point that keeps coming up in the Syria issue is Tartus i wanted to get away from the politics to just ask/discuss the military aspect.

Ok its a closer fuel point that doesnt require going through Turkey /NATO to the black sea but in the event of a serious conflict any Russian ships in the med would be screwed Tartus or no Tartus. So any Naval people that could point out where im missing the obvious i would be greatfull.

One point that keeps coming up in the Syria issue is Tartus i wanted to get away from the politics to just ask/discuss the military aspect.

Ok its a closer fuel point that doesnt require going through Turkey /NATO to the black sea but in the event of a serious conflict any Russian ships in the med would be screwed Tartus or no Tartus. So any Naval people that could point out where im missing the obvious i would be greatfull.

I am a sailor my self.I have been in Tartus.I see grounded ships there :) anyway Tartus alone isnt that important but i think Russia trying to send a message to the West that They are stil powerfull enough to show Russian Flag in the Mediterrenean Sea.SSCR made alliances with Libya , Syria vs vs They are trying to be more agressive in Mediterrenean Sea.But if you look the map of World.The Closest way to get Tartus is via Istanbul and Canakkale Straıt.And that is up to Turkish Goverment.In times of peace Their ship will pass but any sign of war straits will be closed.Now as you know Russia always desired to have the "Warm seas".And they always failed thanks to us :).Long story short Russia is using Syria in this case Tartus for Leverage.Next 10 years i dont think they will be a thread to the Turkish Navy.

I am a sailor my self.I have been in Tartus.I see grounded ships there :) anyway Tartus alone isnt that important but i think Russia trying to send a message to the West that They are stil powerfull enough to show Russian Flag in the Mediterrenean Sea.SSCR made alliances with Libya , Syria vs vs They are trying to be more agressive in Mediterrenean Sea.But if you look the map of World.The Closest way to get Tartus is via Istanbul and Canakkale Straıt.And that is up to Turkish Goverment.In times of peace Their ship will pass but any sign of war straits will be closed.Now as you know Russia always desired to have the "Warm seas".And they always failed thanks to us :).Long story short Russia is using Syria in this case Tartus for Leverage.Next 10 years i dont think they will be a thread to the Turkish Navy.

Tartus is ill-maintained not much use.Our Civil defence are enough to fight and win a nuclear war.But Russia must defend Syria from NATO terrorists. Putin is weak or the civil defence is in preparation.

russia has vladivostock and puts more and more stuff to the pacific since the Atlantic isnt important anymore, they also can use now the artic ocean on russias north cities as naval base now since ice is melting down.

I think youre overrating turkeys navy, russia builds more and more borei class intercontinental submarines as well as mistral naval landing ships and many more naval stuff i havent seen anything like this for turkey lately.

List of current Russian Navy ships - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

just look at the stuff they own and have in reserve and will get in the future. They are the only nation along the usa having any cruisers and the only one having nuclear powered cruisers, they have an aircraft carrier, nuclear powered attack and intercontinental submarines and so on. Even china cant keep up with russia as of now.

russia has vladivostock and puts more and more stuff to the pacific since the Atlantic isnt important anymore, they also can use now the artic ocean on russias north cities as naval base now since ice is melting down.

I think youre overrating turkeys navy, russia builds more and more borei class intercontinental submarines as well as mistral naval landing ships and many more naval stuff i havent seen anything like this for turkey lately.

List of current Russian Navy ships - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

just look at the stuff they own and have in reserve and will get in the future. They are the only nation along the usa having any cruisers and the only one having nuclear powered cruisers, they have an aircraft carrier, nuclear powered attack and intercontinental submarines and so on. Even china cant keep up with russia as of now.

the reason you dont know lots of things about Turkish Navy is this: We are trying to make our own Ships.We are currently building Milgem Corvettes and Fast Attack Boats and there is a Tender about Turkish Frigate or simly TF2000 project.But you have a point there.We dont have any Destroyers.Because we dont need them.Aegean is a narrow sea and Long and Wide Ships is not a good idea.Currently we have 14 Submarines.And there are quite Modern and all joint Turkish-German made.We dont have cruse missiles in our subs but we have a breaktrue with SOM Missile.Tubitak (Turkish Science Corp.)trying to make Sub-SOM for our Submarines.Also we are desinging our own Submarines or " MİLDEN".Bottom line is Russia is strong no doubt about that.But in Black Sea Russian Navy is far from superior.Russia still operates Old Ships and Subs.We are guarding Straits.Turkey must be taking seriously in times of War.

the reason you dont know lots of things about Turkish Navy is this: We are trying to make our own Ships.We are currently building Milgem Corvettes and Fast Attack Boats and there is a Tender about Turkish Frigate or simly TF2000 project.But you have a point there.We dont have any Destroyers.Because we dont need them.Aegean is a narrow sea and Long and Wide Ships is not a good idea.Currently we have 14 Submarines.And there are quite Modern and all joint Turkish-German made.We dont have cruse missiles in our subs but we have a breaktrue with SOM Missile.Tubitak (Turkish Science Corp.)trying to make Sub-SOM for our Submarines.Also we are desinging our own Submarines or " MİLDEN".Bottom line is Russia is strong no doubt about that.But in Black Sea Russian Navy is far from superior.Russia still operates Old Ships and Subs.We are guarding Straits.Turkey must be taking seriously in times of War.

its because blacks see isnt important anymore, everything is put on the far east now because thats where future is written.

Back
Top Bottom