New Recruit

Reaction score
Taliban announce peace talks with Pakistan

• Tahrik-e-Taliban says it is in discussions with government
• News likely to inflame Islamabad's strained relations with US

Reuters
* guardian.co.uk, Saturday 10 December 2011 09.26 GMT
* Article history

The Pakistani Taliban have announced they are in peace talks with the country's government – news that holds out the prospect of a four-year insurgency winding down but could further fray the US-Pakistan relationship.

"Our talks are going in the right direction," said Maulvi Faqir Mohammad, the commander of the Pakistani Taliban in the Bajaur tribal agency and the number two commander overall.

"If negotiations succeed and we are able to sign a peace agreement in Bajaur, then the government and the Taliban of other areas such as Swat, Mohmand, Orakzai and South Waziristan tribal region will sign an agreement. Bajaur will be a role model for other areas."

At the end of September Pakistan's government pledged to "give peace a chance" and talk with the Taliban.

There has been no immediate comment from the government on whether talks are taking place with the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).

The United States, which gives billions of dollars in military and economic aid to Pakistan, regards the TTP as a terrorist group.

Mohammad claimed the government had realised there was no military solution to the conflict in Pakistan, and for the Taliban's part "we have no wish to fight against our own armed forces and destroy our own country".

"There has been development in our peace talks but the government would have to show more flexibility in its stance and restore the trust of Taliban by releasing their prisoners and stop military operations against them."

Mohammad said Pakistan had released 145 Taliban as a gesture of goodwill and the militants had pledged a ceasefire. He said Pakistan and Afghanistan should unite against what he called foreign occupation by non-Muslims.

The TTP is allied with the Afghan Taliban movement fighting US-led Nato forces in Afghanistan. Pakistan's Taliban are entrenched in tribal areas along the porous border. After the military started operations against the TTP, it responded by pledging to overthrow the Pakistani government.

Past peace pacts with the TTP have failed to bring stability and merely given the umbrella group time and space to consolidate, launch fresh attacks and impose their strict version of Islam in areas they control.

Mohammad heads the TTP faction based in Bajaur, at the north-east end of the Pashtun belt along the border. He is regarded as being close to al-Qaida. His men focused on attacking into Afghanistan until US drones hunting for the al-Qaida deputy, Ayman al-Zawahiri, began strikes in his area in early 2006.

Mohammad is believed to have been behind several attacks on Pakistani security forces. The army launched an offensive in Bajaur in August 2008 and largely cleared the region after months of fighting.

We should have done this a long time ago. The enemy is America

We should have done this a long time ago. The enemy is America
OK so what you were doing covertly over the years in now in the open cause the NATO gave you a perfect excuse to do this or was that mishap also a part of the grand scheme of events ?

OK so what you were doing covertly over the years in now in the open cause the NATO gave you a perfect excuse to do this or was that mishap also a part of the grand scheme of events ?
i knew it out top secret info is leaked again :hitwall:

Assalam alaikum

I hope now they make real peace and taliban also must not fight par army ( but pak has to quit this stupid wot) coz it is giving them the fuel and supporters

TARIQ

WOT is useless foreign war , more ever Osama is dead now it has no reason to continue it must end , focus on development and peace now, and GVT must maintain its writ in priority, peace talks are good for region.

Assalam alaikum

I hope now they make real peace and taliban also must not fight par army ( but pak has to quit this stupid wot) coz it is giving them the fuel and supporters

TARIQ

War on Terror = War of Error

carhm1_30nov11.jpg

Assalam alaikum

TARIQ
pak must stop this war on terror only when she succeed in stampling down the terrorist or when terrorist no longer attacks Pakistan other then that go go with full force

Mohammad claimed the government had realised there was no military solution to the conflict in Pakistan, and for the Taliban's part
Every patriotic Pakistani Should be proud of this statement :china: :pakistan:
"we have no wish to fight against our own armed forces and destroy our own country".
And absolutely the enemy of Pakistan is now suffering a very high temperature fever :pakistan:

^^^Im sorry but that is bull excreta. These bastards, pardon my french, must be destroyed. I dont have the time, the willingness or the stupidity to listen to and believe what they have to say. Especially the part in red. I mean do they take us as idiots? These snakes are best with their heads trampled on. Make ample examples out of them. Kill them and kill them all.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom