What's new

Talat Hussain : sexist, misogynist and racist

Here is the link to the newspaper of the day this article was published.
I had to check myself, because it was a really low standard article.
E-paper :: Daily Express

Maybe he was trying to prove that someone like Angelina who has a terribly flawed character is still a much better human than our PM who is supposed to be the descendant of one of the greatest saints in the history of Islam.
However he really lost his bearings and showed a side of him which i have not liked personally.

I too find this article a bad one because he is instead focusing on the flaws of Angelina rather than all the good work she is doing which is indeed her path to salvation.
However the real pathetic thing is that he disregards her good deeds as a cover up.
Pray tell me what she is covering up if we all agree she has done it all?

Certainly we cannot ever disregard the good work someone does by focusing on their flaws alone, this has not ever been the way of Islam which demands a high moral code of humanity.
In the eyes of Allah, even a tiny grain of sand's worth of a good deed is acknowledged and rewarded...whereas Angelina is certainly a flawed character, the good she does is also significant and worth praise.

We never know what shall happen on the judgment day, but there cannot be a case where someone's good deeds amount to nothing in front of the creator.

even though he might be syed it doesnt mean he has to be good:hitwall:
btw there isnt any legit proof of him being syed when some ppl converted they changed there last names (from wat i heard) this culd another case:coffee:
im a syed myself but i also have arab cousins and have a whole family tree going down to the arabs:sniper:

I stopped reading when he wrote that Jolie was not particularly attractive in her early years.

He must be smoking crack because she was a model in her early years, in fact here is her modelling composite.

89780.jpg

it is true.................

http://newscelebrities.blogspot.com/2006/12/young-angelina-jolie-pictures-when-she.html

angelina-jolie-ugly-2.jpg

Last edited:
I always knew him to be a two faced self proclaimed pseudo intellectual journalist. This is nothing less than character assasination. I have far more admiration for those people who adopt children than those who have their own children. What Jolie did was alot more than any one politician could ever dream of doing..

And these are the kind of people that come out when you have an intolerant xenophobic society

in the end article does portray Angelina well ? there are some bits which are rude seems like the writer wanted to bash Angelina and GOP at the same time

Playing to the gallery

George Fulton

If you are a public figure in Pakistan — especially of a more liberal bent — you cannot always express the views you hold in private to a wider audience. You have to curtail your opinions for public consumption. There are some topics that are acceptable with close friends but that would accelerate your demise if aired publicly. A natural filtering process occurs.

That said, it still remains possible for public figures to be fairly consistent with their public utterances. But it seems these days our politicians and popular TV hosts like to radically tailor their statements depending on their audience.

Take my old colleague and friend Syed Talat Hussain for example. A man I had admired for being a rare voice of sanity on Pakistan television. “Live with Talat Hussain” was consistently one of the better talk shows — holding politicians to account with facts rather than innuendo (you know who I am talking about). His coverage of the 2005 earthquakes and the recent flood produced journalism of the highest quality.

Yet this liberal, thoughtful image dissolved after reading his article in the Daily Express newspaper entitled “Jolie ka Thhappar” — a column I was only able to read in translation, thanks to the Cafe Pyala blog.

The piece was a vile, vitriolic attack on Miss Jolie’s character that frothed with a latent misogyny. In it he attacked her ‘immoral’ lifestyle, her allegedly self-interested and ruthless personality, and even her ‘plain’ looks. Nor did he spare her for adopting children.

Now Talat has always appeared the alpha male type, a man’s man, but never a misogynist. But then it occurred he wasn’t communicating to the likes of me or the Express Tribune readership; he was playing to the gallery. He was talking to the patriarchal, conservative middle-class readership of the Urdu press.

Instead of challenging this reactionary readership, he was giving them what they wanted.

Nor is Talat alone in suffering from this forked tongue affliction. The Quilliam Foundation, a UK anti-extremist think tank, recently held a function in Islamabad. The event gathered together some of Pakistan’s media elite, youth activists, reformed terrorists and foreign journalists. One of the speakers at the event was Hamid Mir.

I have it on good authority that Mr Mir was the voice of rational moderation that day. He talked unequivocally of his disgust with the intelligence agencies, he explicitly condemned the Taliban as anti-Islam forces and passionately argued — in English — that the only future for Pakistan was democracy and that it should be protected at all costs. Yes, I am talking about Hamid Mir, host of “Capital Talk”. Version 2.0 of Hamid Mir had transformed, becoming the personification of enlightened moderation. But then he was speaking in English and not to his usual Geo constituents.

Of course the reason that the Hamid Mirs and Talat Hussains of this world can get away with this duplicity is due to the linguistic Berlin Wall that the establishment likes to retain. Project an urbane, liberal image to the West with your (mostly) rational, logical and relatively free English media, and feed the wider public bile, conspiracy theories and irrational, simplistic nonsense in Urdu, thus ensuring that a suitably malleable, impressionable public can be whipped up when said establishment is fed up with the present government.

Do you remember when AQ Khan was forced to apologise to the nation for giving away nuclear secrets for personal gain? In what language did the disgraced scientist speak to his countrymen? English, of course. The establishment didn’t want the father of the bomb discredited as a money-grubbing chancer in the eyes of the public. Change the language and you change the audience.

This linguistic apartheid must stop — only then will such deceitfulness be eradicated. A colleague of mine has twice requested that his columns be translated and published in this newspaper’s Urdu language publication. Twice he has been rejected. So for this column, kya aap isse chhapain gai?

Playing to the gallery – The Express Tribune

Man ... The article was not about bashing Angelina. It was about Bashing the Prime Minister. The lady herself expressed what she said non serious behaviour on the Government side.
What Talat wanted to say was morally we have gone so low that a woman of "this character"(as described by him in the article) feels more pain than us and wants to do more than our Prime Minister.

He is a saner voice in the Media. Lets not push him to the extent that he becomes a replica of shahid masood.

very well written ........ atleast i can feel my face red .... i dunno about my prime minister my president and cheif ministers of all provinces and parlimentarian of my country and elite of my country and even middle class of my country

I think Jolie could take all the corruption nonsense from Pakistan but this is a foolish personal comment.

This was truly very shameful, she is visiting these far flung places where even most of us won't go, she is taking on the risk, she is putting in the effort. Classic example of being ruled by stupid values, there is a context for everything. She is not coming to Pakistan and asking for a following, she is not asking for votes, she is not selling a movie, nothing.

If you have issues with what her personal life is, why bring it up in this context? Definitely Talat Hussain owes Pakistan which owes Jolie an apology. He screwed up big time.

Both Talat Hussain and Angelina jolie are wrong. you guys know none them is saint .

Celebrity take upon different causes including adoption kids from Africa to land up helping flood victims in Pakistan more as PR exercise than anything else.Its a big fad for Hollywood now .

I'm sure Angelina jolie didn't come to Pakistan as an anonymous volunteer of red cross ,but register her celebrity attendance as goodwill ambassador from UN(blah).

Its shame that she got so much attention from the PM of Pakistan and his family and that helped her shine more by putting a white mans burden(if u know what it means) attitude by criticizing her host once she left Pakistan .

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom