What's new

Taiwan to boost forces in disputed Spratly Islands

gpit

Reaction score
Taiwan says it is to improve the defence capability of more than 100 coastguard troops stationed in a disputed area of the South China Sea.

Some or all of the Spratly Islands and their surrounding waters are claimed by Taiwan, China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia and Brunei.

Troops stationed there will be trained by the Defence Ministry's elite Marine Corps to carry out sea combat.

The move is designed to safeguard Taiwanese territory, officials say.

The Taiwanese coastguard says that from May or June, its troops stationed in the Spratly Islands will be trained to carry out sea combat and the prevention of amphibious attack, including landings by other countries' forces.

This will be the first time since 2000 that Taiwan will have combat-ready troops in the region, considered one of the most dangerous areas in Asia for tensions escalating into armed conflict.

Before 2000, Taiwan had marines stationed in the South China Sea, but a previous administration replaced them with coastguard personnel to reduce tensions.
Peaceful solution

Taiwan's decision was announced shortly after the Philippines upped the pressure recently by lodging a protest at the United Nations against China's claims to the area.

Officials told the BBC the latest move was part of the current administration's desire to safeguard Taiwanese territory, and was not linked to the recent protest to the UN by the Philippines.

The administration in Taiwan, which is friendly towards China, rejects any suggestion that it might be working with its former rival China to ensure that ethnic Chinese people, and not others, retain control over the disputed area.

Meanwhile, Taiwan has issued a statement reiterating that it wishes to solve disputes peacefully and is willing to jointly explore the area's natural resources with other countries.

Last year, China sharply rebuked US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton when she said the US supported the freedom of navigation in the area and offered to facilitate multilateral talks on the disputes.

BBC News - Taiwan to boost forces in disputed Spratly Islands

---------------

I guess this could be a great change for the Chinese of both sides to work together towards a same goal, (though due to some concerns Taiwan will superficially deny something.)

How many nations are claiming these Spratly Islands? Are they so important? Do they have oil/minerals or just strategic significance?

How many nations are claiming these Spratly Islands? Are they so important? Do they have oil/minerals or just strategic significance?

Every single country in the area have conflicting claims over those islands. They want it very badly now because of the oil/mineral reserves after they were discovered in the 1980s. China could give less of a damn about the minerals and more of a damn about other people respecting our boundaries.

Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here

The Soviets once signed a Friendship Treaty with Vietnam, why won't the Russians help? Easy answer: China's thermonuclear firepower. The Russians will use their thermonuclear arsenal to only protect themselves. Against China or the United States, lesser countries are on their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some assert that Vietnam will be able to defeat China in a guerilla war. Let's examine the proposition.

It is true that America is not making any headway in Iraq or Afghanistan. While the locals are absorbing tremendous losses, after almost ten years, the Americans are no closer to achieving a victory against Iraqi insurgents or Afghan Talibans.

By analogy, Vietnamese nationalists argue that Vietnamese guerilla warfare will bog down the Chinese military. Does the analogy make sense? The answer is clearly "NO."

America is technologically powerful, but a soft country. It has a hammer, but lacks the will to use it. Unlike the United States, China will not follow American rules of engagement.

For the American soldier, you cannot shoot a male suspect unless you clearly see that he is holding a gun. This is called idiotic liberal doctrine that is guaranteed to ensure a loss in any war.

China follows Chinese rules. Chinese soldiers will shoot any Vietnamese male suspect first and ask questions later. This is a war, not a police action. Furthermore, China has observed the effects of American military strategy during the Vietnam War. If hostilities break out between Vietnam and China, I predict that China will start with three months of unrelenting "Rolling Thunder" and pulverize every military and strategic asset in Vietnam.

After Vietnam is on her knees, the PLA (backed with air power and attack helicopters) will swoop in and eliminate every potential Vietnamese male soldier or suspected soldier. If hostilities broke out in January, the war will be over by June. After China has devastated Vietnam, it will take the Vietnamese 50 years to rebuild.

I don't see how China's strategic position is disadvantaged by a Vietnam-China war. The downside is that China's global image takes a temporary dip. Aside from that, the Chinese military will have an excellent opportunity to test the effectiveness of inter-service cooperation. China may learn valuable lessons to improve its war machine.

In conclusion, though it may seem ironic, I agree with the Vietnamese nationalists that Vietnam and China should settle this border dispute once and for all. "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war."

This could be one of the key areas of inter-strait cooperation. Let's hope this could be a spring board for on going friendly relations. If history is any judge, nothing unites like a common enemy.

This could be one of the key areas of inter-strait cooperation. Let's hope this could be a spring board for on going friendly relations. If history is any judge, nothing unites like a common enemy.

It's a great idea. I could go back to Taiwan and see if I can convince other Taiwanese to voluntarily join against greedy Vietnamese that are trying to steal Han territory.

It's a great idea. I could go back to Taiwan and see if I can convince other Taiwanese to voluntarily join against greedy Vietnamese that are trying to steal Han territory.

lol there's probably no need to do that, I'm sure the two governments will find this an easy area to cooperate in. Afterall, even when relations were shaky as it was in the 80's the ROC allowed PLAN ships to refuel and resupply using their bases in the South China Sea.

I should have made it clear that the video in my post #4 shows China's Navy from 2005. Six years have passed and China's Navy has grown larger.

b2YDn.jpg

Type 054 and Type 054A JIANGKAI CLASS FRIGATE PAGE

[Note: Thank you to Jeff Head for the post.]

Am I suspecting a concept of a joint Chinese-Taiwanese military operation against Vietnam?

Taiwan can contribute Hsiung Feng III supersonic anti-ship missiles. That is assuming the Vietnamese have naval boats more valuable than fishing boats for the Hans to sink.

khlHj.jpg

Taiwan's Hsiung Feng III Supersonic Anti-ship Missile

It makes sense. In the end, after achieving our goals, we will withdraw quickly back to our border. So we do not need do the policing work while occupying.

Some assert that Vietnam will be able to defeat China in a guerilla war. Let's examine the proposition.

It is true that America is not making any headway in Iraq or Afghanistan. While the locals are absorbing tremendous losses, after almost ten years, the Americans are no closer to achieving a victory against Iraqi insurgents or Afghan Talibans.

By analogy, Vietnamese nationalists argue that Vietnamese guerilla warfare will bog down the Chinese military. Does the analogy make sense? The answer is clearly "NO."

America is technologically powerful, but a soft country. It has a hammer, but lacks the will to use it. Unlike the United States, China will not follow American rules of engagement.

For the American soldier, you cannot shoot a male suspect unless you clearly see that he is holding a gun. This is called idiotic liberal doctrine that is guaranteed to ensure a loss in any war.

China follows Chinese rules. Chinese soldiers will shoot any Vietnamese male suspect first and ask questions later. This is a war, not a police action. Furthermore, China has observed the effects of American military strategy during the Vietnam War. If hostilities break out between Vietnam and China, I predict that China will start with three months of unrelenting "Rolling Thunder" and pulverize every military and strategic asset in Vietnam.

After Vietnam is on her knees, the PLA (backed with air power and attack helicopters) will swoop in and eliminate every potential Vietnamese male soldier or suspected soldier. If hostilities broke out in January, the war will be over by June. After China has devastated Vietnam, it will take the Vietnamese 50 years to rebuild.

I don't see how China's strategic position is disadvantaged by a Vietnam-China war. The downside is that China's global image takes a temporary dip. Aside from that, the Chinese military will have an excellent opportunity to test the effectiveness of inter-service cooperation. China may learn valuable lessons to improve its war machine.

In conclusion, though it may seem ironic, I agree with the Vietnamese nationalists that Vietnam and China should settle this border dispute once and for all. "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war."

ROC and PRC may have dispute who is the real China. However, on this territory issue, they are exactly on the same side.

Taiwan can contribute Hsiung Feng III supersonic anti-ship missiles. That is assuming the Vietnamese have naval boats more valuable than fishing boats for the Hans to sink.

khlHj.jpg

Taiwan's Hsiung Feng III Supersonic Anti-ship Missile

Or they could use cluster bombs from F-16 Block 20s for smaller ships. But again, they might get nicked by Vietnamese Su-30MK2s.

ROC and PRC may have dispute who is the real China. However, on this territory issue, they are exactly on the same side.

There are still some Pan-Green DPP supporters who are sided with Vietnam. Meanwhile they also claiim that Tibet was never part of China.

Back
Top Bottom