What's new

Taiwan Starts Drill After Rebuffing Aquino Over Death at Sea

faithfulguy

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Taiwan, Province Of China
Taiwan began military exercises off its southern coast and told people to avoid traveling to the Philippines after rebuffing the Southeast Asian nation’s offer to apologize for the killing of a fisherman in disputed seas.

The Philippines violated international law in the May 9 shooting by one of its patrol boats, Taiwan Premier Jiang Yi-huah said yesterday in a television address. He said Taiwan couldn’t accept that the killing was unintentional because the fishing vessel was riddled with bullet holes.

“The Philippines explanation has been inconsistent and lacking sincerity,” Jiang said. “Philippines officials killed one of our fisherman in our waters. This violates international law, maritime law, and the laws of morality, and yet they are totally devoid of the will to resolve this.”

The dispute threatens to disrupt economic ties and stoke tensions in an area rich in natural resources that’s beset by competing territorial claims. Taiwan President Ma Ying-jeou is battling a 14 percent approval rating, while Philippine President Benigno Aquino must weigh the potential fallout if Filipino workers lose jobs on the island.

Two Mirage 2000 jets and an E-2K Hawkeye early-warning plane took part in the drills today after a Kidd-class destroyer was deployed earlier, said Liu Hsun-chen, a Taiwan defense ministry spokesman. The Coast Guard will send four ships to join the exercise in the Bashi Channel, spokesman Shih Yi-che said by phone yesterday.

Worker Freeze

Earlier yesterday, Ma recalled his representative from the Philippines and froze the hiring of workers from the nation. Additional measures approved last night also include a travel warning and a halt to airspace negotiations and economic exchanges, the Taiwan Cabinet said in a statement.

The U.S., an ally of both Taiwan and the Philippines, is concerned about the escalating tensions, State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell told reporters in Washington yesterday.

“We urge the Philippines and Taiwan to take all appropriate measures to clarify disagreements and prevent recurrence of such tragic events,” he said.

Ma’s actions against the Philippines will prevent about 35,000 Filipino workers a year from finding work, Taiwan’s Council of Labor Affairs said on its website. About 88,000 Filipinos worked in Taiwan as of end-April, it said.

Group Travel

The Travel Agent Association of R.O.C., the largest in Taiwan, said it would suspend group trips to the Philippines after the government issued a warning against visiting the country. The group agreed to support Ma’s sanctions against the Philippines, it said in a faxed statement.

About 54,000 Taiwanese traveled to the Philippines in the first three months of the year, the fifth-biggest market representing 4.2 percent of total arrivals, according to the Philippines Department of Tourism.

Ma, re-elected in January 2012 with 52 percent of the vote, had an approval rating of 14 percent in April, down from 15 percent in March, according to a poll by Taipei-based television network TVBS. His approval rating between September and December 2012 stood at a record low of 13 percent.

“This is an opportunity for him to shore up some confidence,” Alexander Huang, a professor at Tamkang University’s Institute of International Affairs and Strategic Studies in Taipei, said of Ma. “The general public here demands actions -- they want to see punishments.”

Deep Regret

After Ma’s decision, Aquino spokesman Edwin Lacierda announced that the Philippine leader had appointed an envoy to “convey his and the Filipino people’s deep regret and apology” to the fisherman’s family and Taiwan’s people “over the unfortunate and unintended loss of life.” The Philippines also planned to compensate the fisherman’s family.

“We certainly would hope that the authorities in Taiwan will see this gesture as a sincere gesture,” Lacierda said. “We understand the grief and hurt of the family and of the people of Taiwan over this unfortunate loss and we empathize with them.”

Aquino’s approval rating rose 4 percentage points to 72 percent in March, polling body Pulse Asia Inc. said last month. His allies appeared set to control a majority in the 24-member Senate after legislative elections three days ago.

“The last thing Aquino wants to do is come across as weak, especially if ultimately what he’s doing is undermining the Philippine claims in that part of the South China Sea,” said Ralf Emmers, associate professor at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies in Singapore. While the apology he offered seems like a good compromise, “Ma must have felt that domestic pressure was so big this wasn’t good enough,” he said.

Separate Disputes

China considers independently-governed Taiwan part of its territory and has separate disputes with the Philippines over disputed maritime areas. Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said May 10 that China is “deeply concerned about the Philippines’ repeated shooting at unarmed fishermen.”

Taiwan was the eighth largest buyer of Philippine goods last year, according to the Philippines’ National Statistics Office. Taiwan exported $3.2 billion worth of goods to the Philippines in the first four months of this year, while importing $675 million, Taiwan’s finance ministry said.

Limits on Filipino workers, the third-largest group of foreign workers in Taiwan, may slow Aquino’s push to cut a jobless rate that climbed to 7.1 percent in January, with about 660,000 positions lost since October 2011. The Philippines’ overseas workforce accounts for about 10 percent of its gross domestic product.

Taiwan Plans Drill After Rebuffing Philippines - Businessweek

Well bad news those people since they are IT is one of the demanding jobs here i know i run small computer store with IT connections and they can work BPO's here to and there a lot of destinations so again Taiwan is just not important of a market for us so your plan is and will hurt your country more it will hurt less here its the High School graduates and other non professionals but they simply small number of our overseas forces so really who are you again? The Philippines not even that poor any more, More Business are coming here out of china and Europe and America and other places so ya why are important again and your not even in our list of Trading partners so again why are so important to us? well good luck finding to sub 800k workfore your going to lose, Ma is just boosting his popularity that not good even even your VP sees the value of filipinos in taiwans economy so please cry me a river not unless you people become important to the Philippines which your not in fact more trouble than partner i don't see any bad thing for the Philippines in the long run. So dream on.

Well bad news those people since they are IT is one of the demanding jobs here i know i run small computer store with IT connections and they can work BPO's here to and there a lot of destinations so again Taiwan is just not important of a market for us so your plan is and will hurt your country more it will hurt less here its the High School graduates and other non professionals but they simply small number of our overseas forces so really who are you again? The Philippines not even that poor any more, More Business are coming here out of china and Europe and America and other places so ya why are important again and your not even in our list of Trading partners so again why are so important to us? well good luck finding to sub 800k workfore your going to lose, Ma is just boosting his popularity that not good even even your VP sees the value of filipinos in taiwans economy so please cry me a river not unless you people become important to the Philippines which your not in fact more trouble than partner i don't see any bad thing for the Philippines in the long run. So dream on.

LOLzz. You are kidding yourself. Hurt Taiwan more? Philippine is a country of worker. Your main income is sending your women as maid and men as cow to slog in other countries to earn money for your country.

Taiwan while is a innovative hub with world brand like HTC and Acer, Asus... Philippine got what? Banana export to China? Lolzz.

don't see any bad thing? come on your country just become the biggest joke now , the Taiwanese Navy are all over the area where the shooting occurred , but your Navy not even dare to say a word. Act tough against unarmed fisherman but hide when warship came?

don't see any bad thing? come on your country just become the biggest joke now , the Taiwanese Navy are all over the area where the shooting occurred , but your Navy not even dare to say a word. Act tough against unarmed fisherman but hide when warship came?

That is why Philippine need internet warriors like Zero_wing and Pinoy to come internet to show their power. While in the real world, Philippine is nothing but a coward. :lol:

all her neighbours take turn to humiliate philipine, first it was china then Malaysia now taiwan:rofl: philipine is truly a banana republic lol

Like I know, Taiwan Navy ship sail to the area where the shooting occurred, but after that return to the North area to start exercises with fighters.

What an aggressive nation picking on its neighbors with military exercises. China must help rid the world of Republic of Taiwan and take back our formosa island. We are the policeman of East Asia.

So being one of the worlds best economies is joke maybe you should check your own country speaking of jokes hows your elections ? I can't wait for the civil disorder because you even cheat your own people i think you should take care of that before going in other peoples business solve your own damn problems first and fix your selves our you like other lessons in Karma.

all her neighbours take turn to humiliate philipine, first it was china then Malaysia now taiwan:rofl: philipine is truly a banana republic lol

My god learn to spell first your just terrible at this your a big joke for a troll can't even do that right :rofl:

I say bring it i cant wait for our new weapons to come lets see if next year they can do this again! As for now enjoy your free reign! may araw rin kayo sa amin tandaan niyo yan! Isang taon na lang tapos na yung hasik ng lagim niyo mga gago puntang ina inyo!

Wow racism nice running out of things to say?

That is why Philippine need internet warriors like Zero_wing and Pinoy to come internet to show their power. While in the real world, Philippine is nothing but a coward. :lol:

Really and picking on weak countries is manly? take a bath as for internet warriors thanks kindly its nice that racist bug like you who don't even know what soap is knows to type to a computer words he does not even know! that's why your country copies and sells junk and a home bed for viruses and germs take a bath everyday please

Maybe Maids country can throw their bananas to Taiwan Navy

Wow racist quotes again this cumming from a guy who's country main exports are trash poorly copied products and ho's for the local china town and drugs and drug lords hahahahaha :rofl: the trash speaks of things he has little idea of hahahaha :rofl:

No, it's just the Internet warriors like Zero_wing that are cowards.

What an aggressive nation picking on its neighbors with military exercises. China must help rid the world of Republic of Taiwan and take back our formosa island. We are the policeman of East Asia.

I think they just want self defense. Nothing wrong with exercises. Just makes the military ready for trouble.

I say bring it i cant wait for our new weapons to come lets see if next year they can do this again! As for now enjoy your free reign! may araw rin kayo sa amin tandaan niyo yan! Isang taon na lang tapos na yung hasik ng lagim niyo mga gago puntang ina inyo!

What new weapons? A crappy floating junk frigate from US, oh yeah, so scary, Taiwanese navy will surrender.

Stop making yourself look bad.

No, it's just the Internet warriors like Zero_wing that are cowards.

I think they just want self defense. Nothing wrong with exercises. Just makes the military ready for trouble.

What new weapons? A crappy floating junk frigate from US, oh yeah, so scary, Taiwanese navy will surrender.

Stop making yourself look bad.

Nope am talking about those Japanese Coast Guards and the two warship from korea i think it was a waste of money buying those two junk ships i would agree on that one if i was the government i would just use the money to buy those Italian warships instead please read something else troll

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom