What's new

Taiwan aide vows defense against China

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Taiwan aide vows defense against China

Taiwan will maintain a robust defense to deal with a possible attack by China, a senior official said yesterday in the first Defense Ministry comment since the president’s contentious statement that the island would never seek US help to defend itself.

Vice Defense Minister Chao Shih-chang’s made the comment amid a firestorm of criticism from the opposition Democratic Progressive Party over President Ma Ying-jeou’s remarks, which were broadcast April 30 during an interview on CNN.

The remarks appeared to many in the opposition to represent a fundamental shift in more than 30 years of Taiwanese defense policy, which has been grounded on the assumption that the United States could come to Taiwan’s aid if China attacked.

The policy has come into sharper focus in recent years because a Chinese military buildup has increased the possibility that Taiwan might not be able to withstand a Chinese attack on its own.

But others believe that Ma really meant to underscore his administration’s success in diminishing tensions with China — a development, he believes, that reduced to near zero the possibility that the United States might be caught up in a cross-strait conflict.

Taiwan aide vows defense against China - The Boston Globe

even if there is a conflict , US involvement is highly unlikely considering their dependence on china...

no problem, according to him 1 "democratic" taiwan pilot in a F-5 can down 2 "communist" J-10s with 1 missile.

a communist machine gunner can't kill even 1 democratic soldier but 1 democratic soldier can kill 2 communists with 1 bullet! hahahah

let them live in dreams

when they wake up it might be raining metal.

China should give up their thief claims on other nations' lands. If not, this will only aggravate the situation.

China should give up their thief claims on other nations' lands. If not, this will only aggravate the situation.

How is it another nation? Both claim to be China. It seems by your wording that even you recognize which one is the true China. BTW, you do know that the ROC government claims Arunachal Pradesh too, right? In fact, they claim a lot more territory than what the PRC does.

mr. jiang claimed alot of things but in the end he sold out the northeast to japan and even allowed mongolia to declare independence, backed by russia, on his watch in 1920.

the skill in YY of taiwanese is surpassed only by south korea, but india is fast gaining lead, eventually they may be downgraded to 3rd place.

you know guys..for the past couple of years taiwanese govt is acting like iranian govt...

prithwidw...don't be stupid check out the history taiwan clearly belongs to China not to us green card holders..

more like past eight years, as in from 2000-2008.
Economy stagnated while BS increased.

its not just that. try going to a taiwan forum and saying you're a mainlander and nothing else. they'll treat you terribly and attack you with racist words. most taiwan chinese who identify with the mainland are already on the mainland. what are the people left? mostly US/japanese sympathizers.

you know guys..for the past couple of years taiwanese govt is acting like iranian govt...

prithwidw...don't be stupid check out the history taiwan clearly belongs to China not to us green card holders..

but same logic can be applied for pakistan also

its not just that. try going to a taiwan forum and saying you're a mainlander and nothing else. they'll treat you terribly and attack you with racist words. most taiwan chinese who identify with the mainland are already on the mainland. what are the people left? mostly US/japanese sympathizers.

I've had chinese overseas students look at me funny if I say I'm from Taiwan. Sometimes there is an akward pause.

It is more serious with older generations. My father still don't like CCP. It has to do with the way they are taught when they grew up.

My grandpa from my father's side fought against Japan in WWII under KMT, then got transferred to Taiwan in 1945 after Japanese surrender, so he was spared from the civil war. Ironically one of his cousin (or brother, can't remember) was in the CCP camp and died in the war.

or you can say all the people there love their freedom and independence.

I've had chinese overseas students look at me funny if I say I'm from Taiwan. Sometimes there is an akward pause.

It is more serious with older generations. My father still don't like CCP. It has to do with the way they are taught when they grew up.

My grandpa from my father's side fought against Japan in WWII under KMT, then got transferred to Taiwan in 1945 after Japanese surrender, so he was spared from the civil war. Ironically one of his cousin (or brother, can't remember) was in the CCP camp and died in the war.

interesting to know. some exchange students are very patriotic.

but i dont think the people using racist words like 支那猪 are the 40 year olds.

nice to know you have a soldier in the family. the war against japan was the honor and contribution of all chinese. sadly, some taiwanese people write about how they wished japan succeeded. in fact, many natives of taiwan still think of themselves as japanese or american, as mr. chen did.

sadly, some taiwanese people write about how they wished japan succeeded. in fact, many natives of taiwan still think of themselves as japanese or american, as mr. chen did.

Taiwan do have good rule of law and government systems when japanese are in charge. My grandparents from my mother's side can speak japanese since they have to learn it at school. All books were in japanese until KMT came.

People complained because KMT are actually more corrupt. And services paralysed after they took over. Then you have the white terror thing going on.

You have to remember that Taiwan was signed over to Japan under treaty of shimonoseki (1895), thus when WWII broke out they have already been under occupation for some time. Not to mention Taiwan itself was fairly newly acquired territory of Qing dynasty. There are people from Taiwan who served on japanese side in WWII, also some from Korea, most of them wants more food and pay. Most of them were just asked if they want a job, then gets loaded onto ships and sent to china. Alot of them probably don't know china.

Mr Chen? Nah he just wants money.

but same logic can be applied for pakistan also

Does India claim Pakistan or vice versa. We are talking about Taiwan claims AP here. And the Taiwanese gov are nationalist. If for some reason the nationalist come back into power, they are more likely to forcefully take AP from India.

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

or you can say all the people there love their freedom and independence.

If you really love freedom, then you wont' still be in India and ben entrapment by your biased mind.

Back
Top Bottom