What's new

Tahir ul Qadri demolished by Chief Justice at the Supreme Court Day 1

I think he overstepped his limits. Statements are one thing, but actually filing a petition being a Canadian citizen was just too much. CJ's statements are not wrong.

ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court of Pakistan rejected the petition filed by Minhajul Quran International (MQI) chief Tahirul Qadri after hearing his initial arguments on Tuesday, reported Express News.

The court said that the petition was filed under a quo-warranto and does not fall under Article 184 of the Constitution. Maintaining that the Supreme Court cannot hear the petition, the bench requested Qadri to approach some other forum for his cause.

During the hearing, Qadri told the bench that he has used a Pakistani passport for visiting Pakistan and Canadian for going to Canada.

Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry remarked that Qadri is known as the “Sheikhul Islam” but has sworn his allegiance to Queen Elizabeth.

“The doors of the parliament are closed for you but your interference in domestic politics is questionable,” he added.

Justice Gulzar also pointed out that a person who has taken oath for loyalty to another country would not be permitted to influence Pakistan’s politics and to file a petition for reconstitution of the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP).

Qadri submitted papers and a copy of his passport in the court to justify his right to file petition for ECP’s reconstitution.

Note: This is a developing story and will be updated accordingly
ECP reconstitution: SC rejects Tahirul Qadri
Syasat ka tu Pata Nahee....Al-batta Izzat Itnee cee bhee naheen Bachee:rofl:
547728_490190464376869_1693627103_n.jpg

This man thinks he is a genius but he is one of the biggest disaster this country is facing no nothing about law but just want to gain popularity do crap to gain it

Supreme Court judges are like this in the US too, lawyers have to start every other sentence with "If it may please the court..." and everything has to be to the point or else they throw you out.

Qadri was just unprepared, I think he'll do better today.

Just a guess here, but TuQ may have been expecting the SC to go all dewy-eyed when he starts his passionate speech about saving Pakistan etc etc. He doesn't seem accustomed to tough questions, hence his apparent weakness in this petition.

I think he overstepped his limits. Statements are one thing, but actually filing a petition being a Canadian citizen was just too much. CJ's statements are not wrong.

Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry remarked that Qadri is known as the “Sheikhul Islam” but has sworn his allegiance to Queen Elizabeth.

“The doors of the parliament are closed for you but your interference in domestic politics is questionable,” he added.
I don't know why but...............
I was having negitive vibes against that man.......gosh i had no idea....this man had sworn his allegiance to british govenment and was willing to interfare in pakistani politics!!,I think his plan was to become a revolutionary hero and to win elections,then he was about to act as a pawn for british policies....

well it is just an assumption...but zionist can plan anything....if TTP can have same tatto as of american marine corps...then qadri might for for british too...

Now better for him to go to canada...... Just remember.....( Mubarak ho....Mubarak ho..... Supreme court of Pakistan ne mujhay dhakkay de k nikaal dia he..... Mubarak ho..... Jushn manao... aadha kam supreme court ne ker dia he.... Adhda wapsi ka ticket lene k bad ho jayega......) the crowd started jubliations.....?

I don't know why but...............
I was having negitive vibes against that man.......gosh i had no idea....this man had sworn his allegiance to british govenment and was willing to interfare in pakistani politics!!,I think his plan was to become a revolutionary hero and to win elections,then he was about to act as a pawn for british policies....

well it is just an assumption...but zionist can plan anything....if TTP can have same tatto as of american marine corps...then qadri might for for british too...

Canadian, not british.

btw he is on asylum

......is an ancient juridical notion, under which a person persecuted for political opinions or religious beliefs in his or her own country may be protected by another sovereign authority, a foreign country, or church sanctuaries (as in medieval times)...

So these types of Asylum seekers are already putting mess on the country name, and yet are back to mess in country politics need to fixed with proper care.

No I think Qadri will find locus standi, he just didn't argue his points properly.

Supreme Court judges are like this in the US too, lawyers have to start every other sentence with "If it may please the court..." and everything has to be to the point or else they throw you out.

Qadri was just unprepared, I think he'll do better today.

So far it looms he's finding it hard to ascertain his locus standi - considering proceedings till today, I don't think the judges are going allow him to establish one.

You are right, Qadri is totally unprepared, arguing politically than legally. He has even forgotten the basis of his petition.. Now stating petition is based on quo warranto.

Canadian, not british.

btw he is on asylum

So these types of Asylum seekers are already putting mess on the country name, and yet are back to mess in country politics need to fixed with proper care.

@Fracker......whatever.. his residence is...but there is something wrong about him....he is 100% foreign agent..i don't know why...but i always have strong feeling against him.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Fracker......whatever.. his residence is...but there is something wrong about him....he is 100% foreign agent..i don't know why...but i always have strong feeling against him.

Completely Agree, But here i am talking about already proven facts, then some assumptions/guesses. I also feel he is some foreign agent, in fact I was the one with that banner for the first time on PDF.

Last edited by a moderator:
The oath Dr Qadri took in Canada

ISLAMABAD: The oath of allegiance to Queen Elizabeth, taken by Dr Tahirul Qadri for attaining Canadian nationality, has become a hard bone stuck in the throat which can neither be swallowed nor be spitted.

Dr Tahirul Qadri who, through his petition in the Supreme Court, seeks major ‘reforms’ before the general elections in the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP), was grilled by the Chief Justice of Pakistan for being loyal to the Queen and seeking reforms in Pakistan.

Dr Qadri has been asked by the Supreme Court to submit an affidavit in the apex court on Tuesday that he was loyal to the Queen Elizabeth and her successors as he openly admits that he is a Canadian national and as per oath for a Canadian citizen, one has to be loyal to the Queen Elizabeth-II and her heirs and successors.

Dr Qadri will submit the following oath in the Supreme Court, which the Chief Justice has also read before him on Monday. The oath reads: “I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen.”

Dr Qadri defends his dual nationality by saying that the Constitution and the laws of Pakistan do not prevent anyone from acquiring dual nationality but parliamentarians.

The government, on the other hand, is also supporting Dr Qadri’s right to file the petition in the court but it wants the court to dismiss the petition on merits rather than going into the technicalities.

The Attorney General for Pakistan (AGP), Irfan Qadir, also made it clear in the court that he had not come across any law which barred the dual nationals from filing petitions in the apex court under Article 184 (3) of the Constitution. He, however, maintained that he did not agree with the contentions in the petition of Dr Qadri.

Senior lawyer Salman Akram Raja, when contacted, said that the oath of allegiance to any country does hold significance as it bounds oneself to remain loyal to the constitution and state, however, citizens have a very little influence in the policy affairs of a state. “It happens very rarely when two countries come head-on and people having nationalities of both the countries have to decide their loyalty for one country,” Raja held.

It is worth mentioning here that Dr Qadri is not only a dual national but there exists a decision of the Lahore High Court’s commission which had declared an assassination attempt on him as concocted.

Qadri, in a recent interview, has also admitted that there exists such a verdict of the Lahore High Court but termed it one-sided and biased because he had boycotted its proceedings.

The oath Dr Qadri took in Canada - thenews.com.pk

Why is the Chief Justice bringing his passport thing to the table, it is neither required no necessary.

ISLAMABAD: After the Supreme Court’s remarks on Monday about Dr Tahirul Qadri’s dual nationality, serious questions have been raised about the voting rights of dual nationals.

According to experts, there is an ambiguity in the law about the issue as there is no clear provision to explicitly grant the right to vote to dual nationals.Under Article 62 of the Constitution of Pakistan, a person shall not be qualifiedto be elected or chosen as a member of Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament) unless he is a citizen of Pakistan while Article 63 says that a person shall be disqualified from being elected or chosen as, and from being, a member of the Parliament if he ceases to be a citizen of Pakistan, or acquires the citizenship of a foreign State.

However, the Constitution does not clearly state that a dual national has the right to vote. “Parliament is yet to legislate on the issue as the current law does not cater to this situation,” said Ikram Chaudhry, senior Advocate of the Supreme Court and former vice president of the Supreme Court Bar Association.

Talking to The News, he said overseas Pakistanis had been granted the right to vote by the Supreme Court under its judgment on Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf Chairman Imran Khan’s petition. However, Chaudhry said the dual nationals were not mentioned in the petition or the judgment. “I think the Supreme Court’s verdict on Dr Tahirul Qadri’s petition will clarify many issues including this one,” he added.

The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) has already approved measures to facilitate 3.7 million Pakistanis living abroad to vote. However, the ECP has not chalked out any policy about the dual nationals.

While contacted, ECP’s former secretary Kanwar Dilshad admitted there was an ambiguity about the voting rights of dual nationals. He said the dual nationals holding nationalities outside the Commonwealth are not allowed to vote, however those with Commonwealth nationalities may cast their vote despite the fact that they are not allowed to contest for a parliamentary seat under the Constitution.

Kanwar Dilshad went on to say that many Pakistani citizens having dual nationalities are working on key posts in Pakistani civil, military bureaucracy as Pakistani citizens with Commonwealth nationalities enjoy some exclusive privileges.

Another senior lawyer Athar Minallah was of the view that some dual nationals who have registered themselves as voters in any area of Pakistan can vote under the current circumstances.He said there was no provision in the Constitution pertaining to this issue but there are laws that allow all Pakistanis who are registered as voters to cast their ballot.

SC remarks raise questions about voting rights of dual nationals - thenews.com.pk

ECP reconstitution: Dual nationals cannot interfere in internal politics, says SC

ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court of Pakistan maintained that dual nationals cannot be allowed to interfere in internal politics, while hearing Minhajul Quran International (MQI) chief Tahirul Qadri’s petition on reconstitution of Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP), reported Express News on Tuesday.

During the hearing, Qadri told the bench that he has used a Pakistani passport for visiting Pakistan and Canadian for going to Canada.

When the chief justice questioned the basis on which Qadri filed his petition, the MQI chief said that he was a Pakistani citizen and can renounce his citizenship any time.

Qadri argued that the Supreme Court had also taken up the Memogate case on a letter sent by a Canadian citizen.

Justice Gulzar also pointed out that a person who has taken oath for loyalty to another country would not be permitted to influence Pakistan’s politics and to file a petition for reconstitution of the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP).

The court said that the petition was filed under a quo-warranto and does not fall under Article 184 of the Constitution, and Qadri should thus approach a high court before coming to the Supreme Court.

Qadri submitted papers and a copy of his passport in the court to justify his right to file petition for ECP’s reconstitution.

Qadri, speaking to the media after the hearing, said that the Supreme Court has accepted his petition and has been hearing it since two days. But, he added, that the court wants to determine whether they can resolve his issue as he is a dual national before discussing the ECP reconstitution.

“The court has sent notices to all respondents in the case,” said Qadri.

He reiterated that voters can be dual nationals but the elected representatives cannot.

“If dual nationality divides loyalty, then the Constitution of Pakistan should take notice of it. The law of Pakistan should take notice of it,” he stated.

ECP reconstitution: Dual nationals cannot interfere in internal politics, says SC – The Express Tribune

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom