What's new

Swat Peace Deal - The Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, once the Shariah courts start fully functioning, will the Taliban be taken to court over say, flogging someone?

Will the court not have to decide on what basis the 'flogging' was administered, what authority the Taliban had?

There is a whole can of worms that has not been opened here, and a lot of fireworks to come, if the Qazi's appointed to the courts are not straight out of Taliban ranks.

Its not Zardari that is the problem - you obviously did not read the article carefully. The Qazi's are in place, even though not at the required numbers, and it is the Taliban now refusing to accept justice from the Qazi's.

in my view Zardari is big prob..taliban gave the idea of shariah courts so i m in trouble that how they willnot accept it..all is going well in swat now a days ..no onw is refusing shariah courts nor taliban ..only Gov wants "no taliban" in swat..though they r not doing anything bad after deal..

Anybody know where are the qazi trained and who gives them there jobs......who pays them?

sure i knew..Gov is paying them.they have learnd shariah law from wel known insts and Madrasas..some of them from IIUI too..i will try to give u link 2

Last edited:
The provincial Government voted in by the people of the NWFP, the 'secular' ANP, and many of the political representatives from Swat, and many people of Swat, seem to have wanted this peace deal and the Shariah Courts to see if it could put an end to the violence.

The violence seems to have largely subsided - it remains to be seen what will happen when the Taliban take the law into their hands, and if the courts rule against them.

This is one of the articles from sky news today, which shows taliban is implementing its own version of Sharia laws (or may be I am interpreting it wrong). I cannot post the link as I still don't have 15 posts.

Sharia Law: Blood Money Or Deadly Revenge?

The steps of the Sharia court are filled with men lined up in single file waiting for their cases to be heard.

They are all involved in the "drugs business", growing poppies and selling opium.

And here in the Khyber Agency - one of Pakistan's semi autonomous tribal areas - the legal system uses religious courts based on the Koran.

It is quick. Their cases are all dealt with within minutes.

The long-haired, bearded men who form the armed guard inside and outside the court sit passively cradling guns and watching the proceedings.

They belong to Lashkar e Islam, the militant group in control in Khyber.

A group of five older men sit in a circle on the floor at the opposite end of the room.

The man making the decision is Misri Gul, the deputy to Mangal Bagh - the commander of Laskar e Islam, who is also the head of the Sharia court.

The key decisions are all made by him or passed down through his deputy.

The drug farmers are told to close down their businesses within five days. They all leave strangely happy.

If they do not, they know they will face punishment - flogging, hefty fines... or worse.

Misri Gul said: "Before we set up Sharia court, it was heaven for the criminals.

"The government was protecting these criminals and their crimes. We have succeeded and cut crime by about 8%."

The defendants all talk about how much better the current system is. It is swift. They feel it is fair and it has a strong deterrent factor to it.

It can be harsh and it can be final and everyone knows that.

Two men who have been found guilty of kidnapping and killing a taxi driver are taken outside. They are blindfolded.

Their victim's relatives have been given two options. They can claim blood money in compensation from the accused - a sum of two million rupees is mentioned, a veritable fortune here.

Or they can take the other option: revenge. They can decide the alleged murderers should die and they can pull the triggers themselves.

They take the second option. The men are placed up against a brick wall. The crowd that has gathered are held back.

The victim's relatives step forward. They are almost on top of the two accused but still the first few bullets do not deliver the killer blow.

One stays standing for what seems like several seconds, before they both crumple to the ground and the crowd surges forward.

Justice has been done and been seen to be done.

This is one of the articles from sky news today, which shows taliban is implementing its own version of Sharia laws (or may be I am interpreting it wrong). I cannot post the link as I still don't have 15 posts.

Sharia Law: Blood Money Or Deadly Revenge?

The steps of the Sharia court are filled with men lined up in single file waiting for their cases to be heard.

They are all involved in the "drugs business", growing poppies and selling opium.

And here in the Khyber Agency - one of Pakistan's semi autonomous tribal areas - the legal system uses religious courts based on the Koran.

It is quick. Their cases are all dealt with within minutes.

The long-haired, bearded men who form the armed guard inside and outside the court sit passively cradling guns and watching the proceedings.

They belong to Lashkar e Islam, the militant group in control in Khyber.

A group of five older men sit in a circle on the floor at the opposite end of the room.

The man making the decision is Misri Gul, the deputy to Mangal Bagh - the commander of Laskar e Islam, who is also the head of the Sharia court.

The key decisions are all made by him or passed down through his deputy.

The drug farmers are told to close down their businesses within five days. They all leave strangely happy.

If they do not, they know they will face punishment - flogging, hefty fines... or worse.

Misri Gul said: "Before we set up Sharia court, it was heaven for the criminals.

"The government was protecting these criminals and their crimes. We have succeeded and cut crime by about 8%."

The defendants all talk about how much better the current system is. It is swift. They feel it is fair and it has a strong deterrent factor to it.

It can be harsh and it can be final and everyone knows that.

Two men who have been found guilty of kidnapping and killing a taxi driver are taken outside. They are blindfolded.

Their victim's relatives have been given two options. They can claim blood money in compensation from the accused - a sum of two million rupees is mentioned, a veritable fortune here.

Or they can take the other option: revenge. They can decide the alleged murderers should die and they can pull the triggers themselves.

They take the second option. The men are placed up against a brick wall. The crowd that has gathered are held back.

The victim's relatives step forward. They are almost on top of the two accused but still the first few bullets do not deliver the killer blow.

One stays standing for what seems like several seconds, before they both crumple to the ground and the crowd surges forward.

Justice has been done and been seen to be done.

i havent understood what u want to say:cheesy:

in my view Zardari is big prob..taliban gave the idea of shariah courts so i m in trouble that how they willnot accept it..all is going well in swat now a days ..no onw is refusing shariah courts nor taliban ..only Gov wants "no taliban" in swat..though they r not doing anything bad after deal..

No - this is an agreement between the NWFP government and Sufi Mohammed.

The Taliban are eventually expected to disarm under this agreement, since they are not an elected or government appointed authority/institution in Swat. So far they have not disarmed, which in itself means that they are violating the laws of Pakistan and the agreement. I am all for giving the agreement some more time, but do not forget that without the Taliban disarming and disbanding this agreement will fail in the long run.

The article refers to events in Khyber Agency, not Swat.

IIRC, the Mangal Bagh group was propped up to prevent groups allied to the TTP from gaining influence. The idea being that both groups would impose 'Shariah' but that the Mangal Bagh group would not be fighting the government and carrying out suicide bombings.

Its not a ideal situation by any means. Earlier I asked whether the Swat Qazi's would be from the ranks of the TTP-Swat, because that would mean that the Taliban enjoy complete power then and they will not be questioned, as seems the case in Khyber Agency.

If however the Shariah courts in Swat are set up as part of a GoP backed system, with processes in place governing the appointment and removal of Qazi's, and avenues for appeal, then that is far more favorable a setup, since illegal Taliban acts would also be taken up by these courts eventually.

So far in Swat it appears to be the latter case, but I am not certain.

No - this is an agreement between the NWFP government and Sufi Mohammed.

The Taliban are eventually expected to disarm under this agreement, since they are not an elected or government appointed authority/institution in Swat. So far they have not disarmed, which in itself means that they are violating the laws of Pakistan and the agreement. I am all for giving the agreement some more time, but do not forget that without the Taliban disarming and disbanding this agreement will fail in the long run.

This part is always omitted by foreign channels here. They only show wat they want to show.

This part is always omitted by foreign channels here. They only show wat they want to show.

The Western media obviously has certain misconceptions and knee jerk reactions whenever the word 'shariah' comes up, but let me also clarify that the 'disarmament' has not been specifically included in the agreement, since Sufi Mohammed is not part of the Taliban and therefore can offer no guarantees on that count.

Disarmament is expected as the process goes forward - I should have worded my response earlier a little better.

This is bad...
Sufi threatens to withdraw from Swat deal
By Hameedullah Khan
Wednesday, 25 Mar, 2009 | 12:20 AM PST |
font-size small font-size largefont-sizeprintemailComment on this article share
Sufi Mohammad, who does not allow to be photographed, addresses a news conference at his headquarter mosque in Mingora. AP/File photo.

MINGORA: TNSM chief Maulana Sufi Mohammad threatened on Tuesday to wind up his peace camp if the government failed to immediately enforce the Nizam-i-Adl Regulation.

Addressing a press conference at the ‘grassy ground’ in Saidu Sharif, he said he was dissatisfied over what he called slow pace of implementation of the Swat peace accord and said that un-Islamic laws were in force in Malakand even 38 days after the signing of the agreement.

The Tehrik Nifaz-i-Shariat-i-Mohammadi chief said he supported the agreement but was not satisfied with the process of its implementation. ‘Judges have been replaced with Qazis. They are reforming the society, but are unable to issue orders or to get their decisions implemented.’

He said the TNSM and the NWFP government had signed the accord on February 16 to enforce the Nizam-i-Adl Regulation and repeal all laws repugnant to Islam in the Malakand division and Kohistan district of Hazara, but un-Islamic laws were still being followed.

Answering a question, Sufi Mohammad said the agreement had not been signed with the federal government or with President Asif Zardari. It was signed with the NWFP government which would be held responsible for its failure.

He said there would be no lasting peace if Sharia was not implemented in the region.

Meanwhile, hundreds of people blocked the Mingora-Matta road for four hours in protest against deployment of security forces in government-run educational institutions.

The protesters were holding placards inscribed with the slogan, ‘We need schools, not checkposts’.

They said troops had been occupying schools in the area for two years. As a result, they said, thousands of students had been deprived of the opportunity to go to school.

They ended the roadblock after receiving assurance from the chief of the Swat peace jirga and tehsildar of Kabal that troops would vacate schools within three days.

Taliban take over Swat’s emerald mines

Wednesday, 25 Mar, 2009 | 05:36 PM PST |
font-size small font-size largefont-sizeprintemailComment on this article share
The Taliban take one-third of the yield from all miners and the costs are shared equally by the Taliban and the miners. - Reuters/File photo.

TALIBAN in Swat have taken over emerald mines in the area and are operating the business. The mines produce emeralds of international quality and had been under the control of the Pakistani government in the past.

Taking advantage of the recent ceasefire between militants and the government in the region, the Taliban have taken over these mines.

The mines in the Pak-Afghan border region are said to hold the largest known deposits of emeralds in sub-continent of South Asia.

A senior Taliban commander told the BBC that ‘it is for the benefit of the public that we have reopened the mines.’ The commander added that the mines were open for anyone to work in provided they follow the rules laid down by the Taliban.

The emerald mines of Swat are located in the mountains that surround the main town of Mingora and cover an area of nearly 8 kilometers.

Despite the high prices of these stones in the international market, workers at the site told the BBC their average daily wage was only about 400 rupees ($5) per person because the Taliban also took a cut for themselves out of the workers’ wages.

Some workers said that it was still a very good deal because all these resources were going to waste earlier.

Taliban commanders also see this as a positive move in light of the benefits it offers to the local workforce. A Taliban commander said that it was a wonderful opportunity for the unemployed and poverty stricken people of the area.

According to the terms of the deal, the Taliban take one-third of the yield from all of the miners and the costs are shared equally by the Taliban and the miners.

However, the Taliban say that they are not directly involved in the mining operations themselves.

So far the government has not contested the Taliban control of the mines despite the fears that the funds from emerald mining are likely to give a massive financial boost to the Taliban.

This is ******* embarrassing.This deal should not have been accepted in the first place.

Yeah apparently he is not happy with the government. These kind of comments seriously undermine the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom