What's new

Swat Peace Deal - The Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great and now aside from politics they have branched out as a business enterprise Taliban Inc.

The term WTF springs to mind.

Reactions: S-2
The article refers to events in Khyber Agency, not Swat.

IIRC, the Mangal Bagh group was propped up to prevent groups allied to the TTP from gaining influence. The idea being that both groups would impose 'Shariah' but that the Mangal Bagh group would not be fighting the government and carrying out suicide bombings.

Its not a ideal situation by any means. Earlier I asked whether the Swat Qazi's would be from the ranks of the TTP-Swat, because that would mean that the Taliban enjoy complete power then and they will not be questioned, as seems the case in Khyber Agency.

If however the Shariah courts in Swat are set up as part of a GoP backed system, with processes in place governing the appointment and removal of Qazi's, and avenues for appeal, then that is far more favorable a setup, since illegal Taliban acts would also be taken up by these courts eventually.

So far in Swat it appears to be the latter case, but I am not certain.

dear bro..
if u r saying that the involvment of taliban was not in the deal thn y they havent done any bad thing ..like firing ,sucide attacks etc etc..they r in state of cease fire..if they r not agree thn they have to continue thr mission but they didnt..this is y i want say that the taliban is fully involvd in peace deal.actually our Gov wants no deal..they have taken so much funds from US to eliminate these talibans.
Gov must have to negotiate with these taliban like UK has negotiated with IRA...we r jus waiting for Zardari's signature..all will thn go well..i m sure..inshaAllah

@ruby nd saadahmad
any of u who want to say that this deal should not be accepted havent seen bombing on their houses ..u havent seen that what is war n terror..when ur child wants meal with tears thn u will realize that what is war n terror..u r jus watching these games nd making comments..plz be realistic

Collateral damage started after the Taliban picked up weapons and started attacking SF's and carrying out suicide bombings. The military operation was a response to the violence by the Taliban.

Before we go any further, let me clearly point out to you that this forum does not endorse any group using violence to achieve political objectives in Pakistan. No one is being occupied, all provinces and territories became a part of Pakistan by way of some sort of representative process involving the people, and a political system exists that can be utilized by any party to run for office and pursue and implement their agenda if successful.

So if you are going to defend the Taliban actions that caused the military operation, you will be banned. Sorry if that seems unfair, but the facts are facts. The Government of Pakistan is the only institution that can authorize the use of force in Pakistan, and anyone else doing so is committing a criminal act.

You can argue about the benefits of 'negotiations', but do not defend the horrible atrocities committed by the Taliban, or their reign of terror.

This goes for everyone.

Reactions: JK!
Collateral damage started after the Taliban picked up weapons and started attacking SF's and carrying out suicide bombings. The military operation was a response to the violence by the Taliban.

Before we go any further, let me clearly point out to you that this forum does not endorse any group using violence to achieve political objectives in Pakistan. No one is being occupied, all provinces and territories became a part of Pakistan by way of some sort of representative process involving the people, and a political system exists that can be utilized by any party to run for office and pursue and implement their agenda if successful.

So if you are going to defend the Taliban actions that caused the military operation, you will be banned. Sorry if that seems unfair, but the facts are facts. The Government of Pakistan is the only institution that can authorize the use of force in Pakistan, and anyone else doing so is committing a criminal act.

You can argue about the benefits of 'negotiations', but do not defend the horrible atrocities committed by the Taliban, or their reign of terror.

This goes for everyone.

dear bro..
if u have found something wrong in my post i m really sorry..
i m not defending talibans at any cost...
i jus want to say that we Pakistani wants peace of both sides..from taliban as wel as from Gov..bcz u have seen that we have lost our hundred of civilians in this war..

dear bro..
if u have found something wrong in my post i m really sorry..
i m not defending talibans at any cost...
i jus want to say that we Pakistani wants peace of both sides..from taliban as wel as from Gov..bcz u have seen that we have lost our hundred of civilians in this war..

Thank you for understanding. Believe me I understand the reason why some people, especially those caught in the crossfire, want negotiations, and you have every right to argue in favor of negotiations.

I just wanted to make clear that supporting negotiations should not in anyway turn into supporting the continued existence of armed militias in Pakistan. It must be remembered at all times that negotiations are a means to an end, and that end can only be a disarmament and disbanding of the Taliban militias.

Always remember that final goal, shariah or no shariah, that is the only reason the military is in FATA and Swat.

Taliban blocks UN polio treatment in Pakistan

Isambard Wilkinson in Islamabad and Ashfaq Yusufzai in Mingora
Last Updated: 11:05PM GMT 26 Mar 2009

Miliants in northern Pakistan have triggered a medical emergency by refusing to allow health officials to conduct a polio vaccination campaign.

Taliban militants in the former tourist destination of Swat Valley have obstructed officials from vaccinating over 300,000 children.
Militants have seized control of most of Swat and its capital, Mingora, and have extended their rule since striking a peace deal with the government and army earlier this year.

“There is a real emergency there. It is urgent to go in and vaccinate children,” said Dr Nima Abid, the Polio Team leader from the World Health Organisation in Pakistan.

Extremist clerics have used mosque loudspeakers and illegal radio stations to spread the idea that the vaccinations cause infertility and are part of a US-sponsored anti-Muslim plot.

Dr Abid said that militants have not allowed polio vaccinations to take place at a critical time.

“Polio vaccination is effective in first three months of the year when virus transmission is lowest and so there is no interference with the vaccine virus,” said Dr Abid.

Militants had reportedly agreed to allow the vaccination program to take place as part of the peace agreements.

However, the militants had reneged on their word and despite assiduous efforts made by the increasingly irrelevant local administration, no vaccinations have taken place.

“It’s a US tool to cut the population of the Muslims. It is against Islam that you take a medicine before the disease”, said, Muslim Khan, Swat’s Taliban spokesman, speaking by telephone.

Yesterday government officials convened another meeting in Swat an attempt to break the impasse, according to Dr Abdul Jabbar, the WHO’s polio team leader in North West Frontier Province (NWFP).

Swat had recorded 4 cases of polio last year of the total 53 recorded by NWFP and the tribal areas. Pakistan had 118 cases in 2009.

The WHO recorded 39 cases of polio in Pakistan in 2006, up from 28 in 2005. The disease is concentrated in NWFP where 60% of the refusals were attributed to “religious reasons”.

Militants in the tribal areas of Bajaur and Mohmand have also opposed polio vaccinations.

Dr Abdul Ghani was killed by a roadside bomb in Bajaur in 2007 as Islamist militants tried to halt a polio immunisation campaign .

NGOs ordered to vacate Swat: Civil society condemns TTP’s stance

By Ali Usman
March 24, 2009

LAHORE: The civil society and human rights activists on Monday condemned the Tahreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP)’s orders to all non-government organisations (NGOs) to leave Swat.

They said the order proved that the TTP did not want the locals to prosper or be able to voice their needs. They also slammed the Tehreek Nifaz-e-Shariat-e-Muhammadi (TNSM) chief Sufi Muhammad’s ban on district courts and the lawyers’ presence in Malakand’s sharia courts. 500 lawyers have been left unemployed in Swat. The TNSM established sharia courts in Malakand and Sufi Muhammad banned lawyers from appearing in these courts, while the TTP ordered all NGOs working in Swat to vacate the area. The TTP said NGOs were just another name for ‘obscenity and vulgarity’.

The civil society and human rights activists said the government should uphold its supremacy instead of surrendering to the gun-totting militants. They said surrendering such settled areas to militants would only encourage them to ‘expand their empire’. They also showed reservations on the Taliban shutting down a family planning centre that had been working under the Population Welfare Department in Dir.

Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) Punjab Vice-Chairman Dr Mehdi Hasan said areas of the Malakand Division were being made ‘no go’ areas. He said the militants’ objectives were to control the society and implement their self-interpreted version of Islam and sharia. He said the militants would stop at nothing to achieve their purpose, adding that they would eliminate anything trying to stop them. “They blow up girls’ schools because they do not support their objective. The same is the case with the NGOs. They’re working for the welfare of the people but that isn’t in the militants’ favour,” he said. He said free and fair justice was every man’s need, but a parallel system of justice could not be created in a country. He said the government should look into the matter and take control of the situation.

Technology: Women’s Action Forum (WAF) Convener and ASR Resource Centre Executive Director Nighat Saeed Khan said the militants in the Malakand Division had used Western equipment – cellular phones, rockets, and vehicles - but termed every such technology ‘un-Islamic’. She said the TTP’s order to the NGOs and the removal of lawyers could prove to be an extremely dangerous move. She said the militants were creating their ‘own areas’ and would move to other districts if not stopped immediately.

She said it was shocking that the ANP had supported the ‘peace accord’ with militants. She said: “The militants are now even allowing the children to get polio drops. Doesn’t that make their intentions clear?” She said the lawyers should also clarify their stand on the Swat situation, as it was their profession that had been banned.

South Asian Partnership Pakistan (SAP-PK) Executive Director Mohammad Tahseen said a deal with gun-totting terrorists could only result in such activities. He said the government should arrest such people instead of handing over districts to them.

Reactions: S-2
Taliban blocks UN polio treatment in Pakistan

Extremist clerics have used mosque loudspeakers and illegal radio stations to spread the idea that the vaccinations cause infertility and are part of a US-sponsored anti-Muslim plot. :crazy::crazy:

“It’s a US tool to cut the population of the Muslims. It is against Islam that you take a medicine before the disease”, said, Muslim Khan, Swat’s Taliban spokesman, speaking by telephone. :crazy::crazy:

These people are sick:hitwall:. They are trying to find reasons for a conflict with the government, an alibi to break the peace deal and start gun battles.
I have a bad feeling about the sharia deal. They cannot be satisfied with this.

I have a bad feeling about the sharia deal. They cannot be satisfied with this.

make ur view clear about shariah law..shariah has no even single point to kill others, make a suicide bomb .kidnaping etc etc..
there is choice for u how to take shariah law..good or bad..
shariah law contains Islamic decisions, islamic punishments, islamic rules n regulations..no suicide bomb, no kidnapping, no violoncy.
if u want to say that shariah law has imposed by taliban ..u r wrong..this deal has done by Sufi M..
Ur bad feelings about Shariah law worried me

Great and now aside from politics they have branched out as a business enterprise Taliban Inc.

The term WTF springs to mind.

I couldn't agree more.
Absolutely pathetic that they can just occupy the national resources at a time of crisis like this.
I am all for negotiations but with a big stick in hand as well.

We cannot and should not tolerate such outlaws especially if they are occupying a national asset.
Since they are occupying the place they should all be captured and tried in court immediately.
The myth of the elusive Taliban needs to be broken in order to show their true face to the nation...i think this is a god given opportunity to expose their true intent in front of the people and with a strong and extremely popular chief justice in place i think action should be taken quickly and the entire hierarchy be tried in Supreme court.

We need to show the face of the beast to the people and isolate this movement as one with totally anarchist intents.

The clock is ticking...

TTP and TSNM remind me of Adolf Hitler when he was busy annexing various European countries like Czechoslovakia.

Their demands like Hitlers are a slippery slope and these will increase more and more until some bright spark in government finally switches on and realises appeasement is not working.

I've quoted this before but peace "is a period of cheating between two periods of fighting" as said by Ambrose Bierce.

make ur view clear about shariah law..shariah has no even single point to kill others, make a suicide bomb .kidnaping etc etc..
there is choice for u how to take shariah law..good or bad..
shariah law contains Islamic decisions, islamic punishments, islamic rules n regulations..no suicide bomb, no kidnapping, no violoncy.
if u want to say that shariah law has imposed by taliban ..u r wrong..this deal has done by Sufi M..
Ur bad feelings about Shariah law worried me

I dont think I have gross misconceptions about sharia law. Anyhow I was talking only about the Swat deal.
Please read carefully before posting.

After reading all this I think it is time many here go back and read the thread :
“The Swat deal is wrong”
http://www.defence.pk/forums/war-terror/22601-swat-deal-wrong.html

Some posters have in that thread painted such a rosy picture of the expected outcome.

Any of those painters care to re do their rosy picture; as in this current thread shows a picture of a huge dark blight moving in over the region and will slowly like any blight engulf other regions.

But you have all been happy for this to pass and so you will not get rid of this evil when thing do and WILL go against you.

The blight is not Shariah law but those that use it as a shield to hid behind as they plot their next move onward.

Forget the TV, forget your computer, unless it is a small laptop you can hide easily and your music. Forget your expectations of lasting safety and at night think back on what you believed to be your sacrosanct past

Am I over stating things?
Just start thinking and you will see the long term prospects are not looking too good.

I juts love these nebulous statements.
THIS DEAL HAS BROUGHT PEACE IN THE AREA WHATS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THIS.
Or this
The author is just a drama queen.

There's no "Taliban" sharia in Swat. People will be going about their business and girls will be being educated.

I can guarantee that girls in Swat will not be banned from going to school under the new sharia law there. Basically nothing will change.

So what's the problem?

Life style, the ability to progress, the ability to feel really safe, the ability to know your child will not come down with polio, to know that social infrastructure is available and for you to use, to know that you male or female can walk down a street without being stoned or shot for little or no reason and all those other little thing you suddenly loose.

These are important and seem to have suddenly vanished. The lack of these are the problem.

But heck you want this so you are stuck with it.
Don’t blame your politicians, you voted them in.

Some here may suffer a delusion that when it all goes bad the PA & FC will be able to wipe this blight away.
Forget that stupid notion the blight is here to stay.

Do I have any sympathy? Yes.
Do I see a solution? Yes. It is YOU.

But I keep saying this and who really cares, no one.

TTP and TSNM remind me of Adolf Hitler when he was busy annexing various European countries like Czechoslovakia.

Their demands like Hitlers are a slippery slope and these will increase more and more until some bright spark in government finally switches on and realises appeasement is not working.

You are spot on there sir. This is how the pondering to muslim extremists appears to many people in the west in general. It is pointless.

You can't negotiate with people like the Taliban, or Hamas, or Hisbollah etc. any more than you could with Hitler, since they worship only death and want nothing short of absolute domination of medieval sharia laws and to reduce women and girls to a slave-like existence. I wish you guys would go out there on the street, like some did for that judge, and protest so your government would take back the north and shoot every single one of these Taliban barbarians.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom