What's new

Survey: Turks Back Turkish Language in Germany, but...

Bahoz

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Survey: Turks Back Turkish Language in Germany, but not Kurdish in Turkey

vericanENG032.png

ANKARA, Turkey – Most people in Turkey believe that the children of Turkish immigrants in Germany should have the right to education in their own language, but less than half as many back the same right for Kurds in Turkey, according to a survey by an Istanbul-based social research group.

The poll, taken in 27 cities across Turkey by the Konda Research and Consultancy Company and released to coincide with the UN-inspired Human Rights Week, places two opinions side by side: Turks believe that the children of Turkish immigrants should be taught their own language in public schools; they do not believe that the millions of Kurds under Turkish rule have the same right to language.

The survey reveals that 81 percent of the people polled agree that denying ethnically Turkish children in Germany the right to study in their own language is a human rights violation, while only 47 percent see denying the same right to Kurdish children in Turkey as a breach.

“It is not very surprising that Turkish people distance themselves from the language and rights of Kurds,” said Ali Fikri Isik, a Kurdish literary critic and one of the pioneers of the Kurdish conscientious objection movement in Turkey.

He told Rudaw that Turks have not been able to incorporate the true meaning of “rights” to their own culture.

“You cannot develop a democratic stance toward something that you denied for years,” Isik said, referring to Turkey’s decades-long oppression of its Kurds, who until the turn of this millennium faced fines or prison for even speaking their own language in public or listening to songs in Kurdish.

Kurds comprise an estimated 20 percent of Turkey’s 76 million population and live in the predominantly Kurdish southeast regions, where Ankara does not allow the Kurdish language taught in schools.

Zana Farqini, head of the Kurdish Institute of Istanbul, told Rudaw that the findings of the survey did not come as a shock.

“When linguistic and cultural rights of Kurds are discussed, the dominant ideology in Turkey is shaped by the paranoia of separatism. Not only ordinary citizens, but also top-level state officials have the same view about this issue,” Farqini said.

“When former president Suleyman Demirel went to the Balkans, he told the Turkish people there to speak their mother tongue. When Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan went to Germany, he said assimilation is a crime against humanity. So when it comes to the rights of Turks living in other countries, they never think about the threat of separatism,” Farqini said.

“The right to get education in one’s native language is not a negotiable right. Actually, it is a sacred and innate right that everyone should have without any exceptions, but the Turkish education system is based on double standards,” Farqini charged.

Meanwhile, a survey by the Political and Social Research Center (SAMER) about the perceptions and expectations of Kurds in 22 Kurdish cities in Turkey – taken after a “Democratization Package” announced by the Turkish government in October – showed that a majority of the respondents did not back the initiative.

Nearly 67 percent of the participants said the democratization package has not met their demands. Only 17.4 percent thought that the initiative was sufficient to solve Turkey’s Kurdish issue.

When asked what the next democratization package should include, about three-quarters of the respondents said: The political status of Kurds should be recognized; Kurds should be able to get education in Kurdish at public schools; Kurdish should be one of the official languages of Turkey; the democratic autonomy of Kurds should established; there should be an amnesty for political prisoners, and local administrations should be strengthened.

Only about 40 percent of Turkey’s Kurds see positive developments in a government process to resolve the country’s Kurdish issue, according to the SAMER survey.

Teaching and publishing in Kurdish became strictly forbidden after the Turkish republic was established in 1923.

- See more at: Survey: Turks Back Turkish Language in Germany, but not Kurdish in Turkey

On the bright side though, it is very positive to see that 47% of the total population in Turkey possibly back the initiative of Kurdish education in school. Very positive sign!

you should not neglect the fact, though, that many Turkish people are at a crossroad between 'let's give Kurds rights as much as possible, because if we don't, there will be terrorism', but also 'giving more rights is nice and all, but it might pave the way for more demands, which in turn will transform into a demand for autonomy and then...'. so, i am quite sure there are people who think according to the latter example in that 36% group.

Germany didn't experience this kind of conflict nor do the Turks there pose a threat to the national stability. We shouldn't compare apples with pears.

I, for one, want the govt to provide rights as long as it is realistic and satisfying for both. Ignoring minorities is something of the past and i am sure many Turks would like to see a colorful Turkey where everybody can be proud and secure of their background.

When asked what the next democratization package should include, about three-quarters of the respondents said: The political status of Kurds should be recognized; Kurds should be able to get education in Kurdish at public schools; Kurdish should be one of the official languages of Turkey; the democratic autonomy of Kurds should established; there should be an amnesty for political prisoners, and local administrations should be strengthened.

I wonder who are these three-quarters of respondents. No Turk will support autonomy... only terrorist supporters will.

Germans will just claim exception for not giving training in Turkish because:

1) Turks are not in EU so HRA cannot apply Art 14 will not apply, They can claim exception on Article 10 under:
  • protection of the reputation or the rights of others
2) If training were given in Turkish, the Somali, Arab etc etc would all want training in their languages, and from my last interaction with Germans, I know it is a requirement of the state all immigrants speak German. So.... Yeah, don' really know what to make of this!

you should not neglect the fact, though, that many Turkish people are at a crossroad between 'let's give Kurds rights as much as possible, because if we don't, there will be terrorism', but also 'giving more rights is nice and all, but it might pave the way for more demands, which in turn will transform into a demand for autonomy and then...'. so, i am quite sure there are people who think according to the latter example in that 36% group.

Germany didn't experience this kind of conflict nor do the Turks there pose a threat to the national stability. We shouldn't compare apples with pears.

I, for one, want the govt to provide rights as long as it is realistic and satisfying for both. Ignoring minorities is something of the past and i am sure many Turks would like to see a colorful Turkey where everybody can be proud and secure of their background.

It is true that there is a crossroad between the Turks regarding the rights of Kurds. Some fear that it might create more seperation. Others believe that it might actually create more unity and integrity. I believe that after 30 years of war, it is quite obvious that if it continues like this ( not accepting rights of Kurds) Turkey will not be more stabile. But then again, as Farqini says in the article, most Turks look at this from a security point of war. What comes to the mind of most Turks when mentioning the rights of Kurds is reflections of security, war, seperation etc. Which is not really preferable at all since we are talking about very elementary human rights and these rights are not to be discussed in accordance to security question or negotiated with.

True that Germany did no experience conflict with its Turkish minority. But did the Turks really have any reason to begin an uprising? They have been there for maximum two generations and their first priority to begin with was probably economy, work and education just like most other guest workers and immigrants. On the other hand, we ought not to forget that Kurds are native to Eastern Anatolia for many centuries and did not migrate two generations ago. Thus it is quite a big paradox that the majority of Turks want Turkish education for Turks in Germany who have lived there for only 2-3 genertions while denying Kurds the same right in Turkey despite the fact that Kurds have lived there for several centuries.

Which is not really preferable at all since we are talking about very elementary human rights and these rights are not to be discussed in accordance to security question or negotiated with.
Turks have no problem with Kurdish mother language, or any other basic Human right for Kurds.
But Autonomy is not a human right, we all know very well whats the next step after a Autonomy, so stop fooling us and yourself.

But did the Turks really have any reason to begin an uprising?
Where is this uprising?

Turks have no problem with Kurdish mother language, or any other basic Human right for Kurds.
But Autonomy is not a human right, we all know very well whats the next step after a Autonomy, so stop fooling us and yourself.

Where is this uprising?

Well, obviously a big portion of Turks still have a hypocritical stance towards the question of Kurdish mother tongue education as seen in the statistics. But sure, if Turks have no problem with Kurdish language, I suggest they go out to the streets and demand an end to the denialist policies of AKP.

There was no uprising, that is my point. Since Turks in Germany had no reason to uprise unlike Kurds in Turkey.

Well, obviously a big portion of Turks still have a hypocritical stance towards the question of Kurdish mother tongue education as seen in the statistics. But sure, if Turks have no problem with Kurdish language, I suggest they go out to the streets and demand an end to the denialist policies of AKP.
Well 37% is not agree, its still a big part but, can you imagine how many percent would be not agree 10-20 years ago?
It needs time to solve this issues, im sure in next 10 years the percentage will shrink even more.

There was no uprising, that is my point. Since Turks in Germany had no reason to uprise unlike Kurds in Turkey.
Yeah i misunderstood this.

Do you ever post anything that does not relate to Kurdish issue, on this forum?
No offence, but Kurds are sheep that are surrounded by wolves.

There will never be a Kurdistan.

Don't the Kurds at least deserve their own autonomy? You support the Palestinian cause but why not the Kurdish one? Are they not Muslims? In fact you as an Iranian have more in common with a Kurd than a Palestinian Arab 2000 km away next to Jordan, KSA, Syria, Lebanon, Egypt and the Mediterranean Sea.

I remember, or at least I have read Arabic sources, that said that the Kurds would never get their autonomy in Iraq and here in 2013 they nearly can celebrate a 10 year old anniversary of their autonomy - de facto own country.

Kurds are the most numerous ethnic group in the world without their own country.

Don't the Kurds at least deserve their own autonomy? You support the Palestinian course but why not the Kurdish one? Are they not Muslims? In fact you as an Iranian have more in common with a Kurd than a Palestinian Arab 2000 km away next to Jordan, KSA, Syria, Egypt and the Mediterranean Sea.

I support a federalism, whether its in Iraq, Turkey, Syria Iran. Where Kurds should be inclusive and have representation in central government. Whats wrong with that?
I dont support a Kurdish state.

Do you ever post anything that does not relate to Kurdish issue, on this forum?
No offence, but Kurds are sheep that are surrounded by wolves.

There will never be a Kurdistan.
in kurdish areas, children should be offered to learn their mother language. And if they are a significant population, turkey should even accept it at national level.
that is how you bring separatist to your side.

I support a federalism, whether its in Iraq, Turkey, Syria Iran. Where Kurds should be inclusive and have representation in central government. Whats wrong with that?
I dont support a Kurdish state.

Well, the only reason why you don't support a Kurdish state is because part of a possible Kurdish state would compromise territories of what is modern-day Iran. While you have no problem supporting the Palestinians or other people fighting for their rights since you don't have to worry about any consequences.

I sense a great deal of hypocrisy but that is obvious. Not that I am surprised by any means.

@Bahoz interesting article.

Well, the only reason why you don't support a Kurdish state is because part of a possible Kurdish state would compromise territories of what is modern-day Iran. While you have no problem supporting the Palestinians or other people fighting for their rights since you don't have to worry about any consequences.

I sense a great deal of hypocrisy but that is obvious. Not that I am surprised by any means.

@Bahoz interesting article.

Kurds have right to their own culture and language in Iran. Not to mention they have proportionate representation in the central government, just like other minority groups. They have been a natural part of Iranian states, since milleniums back.
So I dont see much danger of compromising Irans territory. Maybe Iraq, but definately not Iran. Probably not Turkey either.
These are very stable states

If anything I see more potential for KSA being carved off into several emirates/tribal enclaves, in the longer term. A state formation in Hijaz, state formation in Shia east, and the rest to be divided along the different tribes. Dont throw stones, when you live in a glass house. Because KSA is an artificial state.

Kurds have right to their own culture and language in Iran, so I dont see much danger of compromising Irans territory. Maybe Iraq, but definately not Iran. Probably not Turkey either.
These are very stable states

If anything I see potential for KSA being carved off into several emirates/tribal enclaves, in the longer term. A state formation in Hijaz, state formation in Shia east, and the rest to be divided along the different tribes. Dont throw stones, when you live in a glass house.

LOL. That is something you have just made up. What has this to do with KSA? Did you not like that I exposed your hypocrisy or what? Seems so.

All of the people in KSA are Arabs. We are not occupying land that is not ours. Besides there are no tribal wars or anything. What are you talking about? This is not Africa or Latin America. Those dynastic/regional rivalries ended a long time ago.

Shias make up less than 10% of the population and they are a minority in the Eastern Province so which country should they have? What are you talking about? They have never called for their own country.

There is no need to divide Arabs based on regions when they have been united for nearly 100 years and have a common identity now. If we occupied territory where non-Arabs lived in the majority like Iran for example does then we could talk about any historical/sane base for a possible break up of the country. The rest is just fairytales.

You can quote me on that in 50 years time if we both are still here and this forum exists.

Even for this discussion to be relevant people inside KSA (from different historical regions and provinces) would have to call for autonomy or independence which never happened.

Back
Top Bottom