What's new

Sukhoi PAK-FA / FGFA: Updates,News & Discussions

CROSS SECTION OF PAK-FA
bay6.jpg

IAF to induct 214 variants of fighter aircraft

NEW DELHI: The Indian Air Force (IAF) will induct a total of 214 single and twin-seater variants of the advanced Fifth-Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) being developed jointly by India and Russia and likely to be inducted by 2017.

"We are looking for 166 single seater and 48 twin-seater versions of the aircraft," IAF Chief Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne told reporters here.

He was asked to comment on the project which will be reviewed by India and Russia during defence minister AK Antony's meeting with his Russian counterpart AE Sardyukov in Moscow.

He said the contract was in the preliminary contract stage and was expected involve more efforts by two sides when it enters design phase next year.

"By 2012, negotiations will start for the design phase of the aircraft," he said.

The IAF Chief said India would also discuss basing air force, Hindustan Aeronautics limited (HAL) and DRDO teams in Russia to monitor the progress of the joint venture project.

He said by 2017 the first lot of the aircraft were expected to join the IAF and that will depend on the progress of tests and trials of the aircraft.

Commenting on the international commitments of the IAF, Browne said it will hold aerial wargames with the Royal Air Force of Oman (RAFO) from October 14 at the Jamnagar air base where the two sides will field their Jaguar deep penetration strike aircraft.

Asked about its plans to take part in Red Flag exercise held in the US, Browne said participating in such wargames involves a lot of effort as it was a trans-Atlantic affair.

He said the IAF will now go there in 2013 only. Red Flag is a US-led NATO exercise and India had taken part in it in 2008.

IAF to induct 214 variants of fighter aircraft - The Times of India

"We are looking for 166 single seater and 48 twin-seater versions of the aircraft," IAF Chief Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne told reporters here.

This is the interesting part, India is counting on single seater.

This is the interesting part, India is counting on single seater.

I wait till this is confirmed by any other reliable sources, because that is contrary to anything we knew about the FGFA deal before. If we would get nearly 3 times more single seat Pak Fa, why should we pay 10 billions for the development of FGFA and why aren't we already included in the development of Pak Fa then? IAF always stated that they want the twin seat version, just like the MKI and only the media speculated about 50 early Pak Fa, which makes all this very strange. Either the author mixed some things up, or the new air marshal did it and this would be another strange comment, just like that Rafale and EF can't Supercruise.

Or any Doctrine change in cards of IAF?

Doubtful, the only thing that changed was the position of the air chief, but he can't change the policies alone. Not to forget that the former Air Chief and the Defence Minister always said, that IAF wants twin seaters. I think it's just a mistake in the report, because the former Air Chief mentioned the number "214" in an earlier interview as well, but he precisely mentioned "FGFA", not Pak Fa, or single seaters (min 1:14):

...214 FGFA, 5th gen fighter aircraft that will be coming up around 2017...

IAF undergoing major transformation Air Chief to NDTV

I really don't have much knowledge about fighter aircraft but from the above pictures I see clearly one thing. Too much smoke coming out from the aircraft engine. Can any guru shed some light on it.

regards
Jailer

I really don't have much knowledge about fighter aircraft but from the above pictures I see clearly one thing. Too much smoke coming out from the aircraft engine. Can any guru shed some light on it.

regards
Jailer

Those are not engine smoke but dense air formed due to moving the plane at near supersonic speed...... And the blurred thing behind the engine nozzels are heated gas coming out of nozzel in AB mode..... This plane have also been taking off without AB mode.

Back
Top Bottom