What's new

Sue me if you dare, my dad is Li Gang

but it was our media that reported it. or did you miss all the "XINHUA" capital letters in the reports? I'm getting sick of the whole free media in india b***** excuse. your media is as free as the politicians tell them they are. try to get the media to remove even 1 corrupt politician from power, see what happens.

I somehow knew that this was coming. Why do you have to get defensive when such instances come out in the open?

Nevertheless such instances do happen in India too, but we have an open & free media and an independent judiciary (not trying to brag), unlike in China.

By the way, at some level i am a bit envious that Richard McGregor wrote about China and not India. I would very much like him to view India with the same microscope that he has view China with and bring out deficiencies further out in the open. The attention that it will generate will help us fix our system. The media in India is already doing a rather good job about it but the more we can expose the better for us.

As for your attitude about labeling his work as "China-bashing propaganda piece", reminds me of the cultural revolution, when mere suspicion was enough to humiliate & prosecute a person. Many lives & families were wrecked by it; for i had thought that people would have learned something from such a catastrophe.

Ya i know you are going to get back with some muck about India. I have heard enough about poverty & toilets, i suggest you try something new for it will help massage your ego. Good luck!

Hey look at the China expert Guys! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I somehow knew that this was coming. Why do you have to get defensive when such instances come out in the open?

Nevertheless such instances do happen in India too, but we have an open & free media and an independent judiciary (not trying to brag), unlike in China.

By the way, at some level i am a bit envious that Richard McGregor wrote about China and not India. I would very much like him to view India with the same microscope that he has view China with and bring out deficiencies further out in the open. The attention that it will generate will help us fix our system. The media in India is already doing a rather good job about it but the more we can expose the better for us.

As for your attitude about labeling his work as "China-bashing propaganda piece", reminds me of the cultural revolution, when mere suspicion was enough to humiliate & prosecute a person. Many lives & families were wrecked by it; for i had thought that people would have learned something from such a catastrophe.

Ya i know you are going to get back with some muck about India. I have heard enough about poverty & toilets, i suggest you try something new for it will help massage your ego. Good luck!

As much as u and i talk about open media the ills of paid media area also present. What i am trying to say is the ills of modern society are present in any country. Rather than making this a you vs we thread u could have posted just about the incident rather than saying this is what i said before (ala Mcgregor report or whatever). There was no need for that buddy.

I haven't visited for two days and today i am seeing that mostly the discussions are religious related you vs me!!! Common yaar let us not do such thing on these kind of social issues too. Please take my comments as friendly i am not trying to make u the deamon here.

but it was our media that reported it. or did you miss all the "XINHUA" capital letters in the reports? I'm getting sick of the whole free media in india b***** excuse. your media is as free as the politicians tell them they are. try to get the media to remove even 1 corrupt politician from power, see what happens.

I will just respond to the bold part. The media in India has just forced the resignation of a cabinet minister (equal to a Politburo member in China) by exposing his corrupt practices. The minister had to resign even at the cost of the current government falling. Scores of such politicians & bureaucrats have been forced to resign in the past, even the armed forces are not spared.

The bottom line being - the media in China is only as free as the CPC allows them to be, unlike in India. Can your media expose a member of a Politburo Standing committee.

Wen Jiabao's wife wore diamonds worth 300,000 $ to trade fare in Beijing. (From Richard McGregors book)

Hu Jintao's son has been involved in shady deals & so has been Jiang Zemins family.(From Richard McGregors book). It is also reported that every one in the top CPC hierarchy is involved in shady deals & practices. Can your media dare report this. Everyone knows this but no one has the guts to talk about it openly & those who dare are beaten in submission.

I will just respond to the bold part. The media in India has just forced the resignation of a cabinet minister (equal to a Politburo member in China) by exposing his corrupt practices. The minister had to resign even at the cost of the current government falling. Scores of such politicians & bureaucrats have been forced to resign in the past, even the armed forces are not spared.

The bottom line being - the media in China is only as free as the CPC allows them to be, unlike in India. Can your media expose a member of a Politburo Standing committee.

Wen Jiabao's wife wore diamonds worth 300,000 $ to trade fare in Beijing. (From Richard McGregors book)

Hu Jintao's son has been involved in shady deals & so has been Jiang Zemins family.(From Richard McGregors book). It is also reported that every one in the top CPC hierarchy is involved in shady deals & practices. Can your media dare report this. Everyone knows this but no one has the guts to talk about it openly & those who dare are beaten in submission.

CPC top management enrich themselves equal to 0.1% of China's GDP.

U.S. government elites enrich themselves through corrupt legal laws (i.e. donations, consultant positions, ridiculously-overpaid speeches, etc.) equal to 1% of U.S. GDP.

Chiang Kai Shek (when he ruled mainland China via KMT) enriched himself equal to 5% of China's GDP.

Putin enriches himself with at least 10% of Russia's GDP.

CPC top management is comprised of human beings. They are the least corrupt of all. Everybody knows this.

What's your point in complaining that CPC top management isn't perfect?

Last edited:

I hope that I don't offend you by saying this, but you seem a little naive. You make it sound as if the Chinese people are completely unaware of the minor bonuses that are being self-awarded by top CPC management.

You should understand that the Chinese people have judged the performance of the CPC over the last 30 years. The support for the CPC by the Chinese people is astronomical.

93% Chinese Support Hu Jintao: Global Leadership Poll

This isn't exactly breaking news. However, most people do not realize the unanimous Han support for the current CCP government of Hu Jintao and Grandpa Wen.

93% Chinese Support Hu Jintao: Global Leadership Poll

"93% Chinese Support Hu Jintao: Global Leadership Poll

June 23, 2008
1 comments

Global Leadership Poll

globalleadershippoll3.jpg

Chinese President Hu Jintao got a 93 percent confidence ranking in the middle kingdom -- which proved that "when you're on the rise, there's an upbeat feeling that leads to a sunnier disposition" -- The Chinese feel that life is working for them!"

You can talk but whose listening. Your freepress is a pressure control, as long as you can btch, they'll not lose sleep.

Revelation on Swiss bank accounts

Top five
India—- $1,456 billion
Russia —$ 470 billion
UK ——-$390 billion
Ukraine - $100 billion
China —–$ 96 billion

Is India a poor Country- Revelation on Swiss bank accounts | MillionFace

Honestly if China's leaders are taking 96 B. for the performance they have delivered and if India is paying 1.4 trillion (your current annual GDP) for the performance the Gandhis and Nehrus have delivered, I'll count it as a bargain.

The difference between China and India is the Chinese government is terrified of the Chinese people, and the Indian government can laugh in your face on their way to the bank and you'll still think yourself powerful and free. India is a sheep pen with an glass ceiling.

The team of President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao has deftly steered China through the Great Financial Crisis of 2007-2010 with booming 9% annual economic growth for China. This is their most important responsibility and their performance has exceeded the expectations of most Western analysts.

I don't think anybody can solve all of continental China's social injustice problems by 2013. However, Hu and Wen have shown that they'll do everything possible to ensure that most Chinese have jobs and enjoy a rising standard of living. Social problems take decades to solve. I believe that most people would agree that China's social problems have diminished greatly during the last 30 years of reforms and that life continues to improve.

I trust Premier Wen to do the best that he can in the next few years to rectify "social inequality and injustice."

Here are two examples of China's improving society under the Hu and Wen administration.

Wen Jiabao - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The Hu-Wen administration abolished the thousand year old agricultural tax ... by President Hu Jintao outlining China's direction in the next five years. ..."

http://www.pekingduck.org/2005/03/congratu...ou-get-married/

"March 30, 2005
Congratulations, Chinese college students: We’ll let you get married!

I think it’s only when Americans read stories like this that they get a glimpse of just how different the Chinese psyche is from their own.

China said it would lift from September a 50-year ban on college students marrying or bearing children but warned the relaxed regulations should not change academic priorities.

Students of legal marriage age — 22 for males and 20 for females — will no longer need to seek approval from university officials to tie the knot, the Ministry of Education said on its website.

For decades students contemplating marriage or who become pregnant have faced the dilemma of whether to give up studying or delay their wedding, or stay in school and have an abortion.

The regulation came under particularly strong criticism from graduate students, many of whom, under the threat of expulsion, were forced to hold off on reciting marriage vows or starting families.

The new rule follows a law enacted in 2003 that abolished the need for engaged couples to request from employers or superiors a certificate of approval to wed.

Until recent years, Chinese remained beholden to the state for the most basic needs such as provisions for housing, a child’s education or the right to get hitched.

Just a couple of weeks ago I read that the CCP has also made some changes in divorce procedures: You no longer have to get your employer’s permission before receiving an official divorce.

Now, to the Western mind this is almost incomprehensible. Ask your boss for permission to get a divorce? Be thrown out of college for getting married? It’s hard for us to grasp that this could actually have been acceptable for generations and even into the 21st century, and that the Chinese simply accepted it. A whole different outlook as to how society operates and the role of the individual.

Meanwhile, it’s good to see they are breaking free of at least some of those restrictions that serve no purpose except to limit personal freedom. God knows, it’s about time."

97 percent of Chinese think the direction China has taken is correct

Did I say 93% approval rating for the Hu-Wen administration? I meant to say: "About 97 percent of Chinese think the direction China has taken is correct...."

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-03...ent_9599782.htm

"Survey: China moving ahead
By Yu Tianyu (China Daily)
Updated: 2010-03-17 06:50

BEIJING: Most Chinese as well as expatriates believe the country is rising and is progressing in the right direction, a survey has found.

The poll on China's image and status, conducted by the China Development Research Foundation (CDRF) and Horizon Research Consultancy Group interviewed 1,754 Chinese aged 18-65 and 313 adult foreigners in seven cities including Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou.

According to the survey, nearly two in three Chinese believe the country is on an upward spiral, while a little more than half of expats think so. About 97 percent of Chinese think the direction China has taken is correct, compared to 81.8 percent for expats.

In addition, nearly all Chinese are confident about the country's future, compared to nine in 10 for expats.

Victor Yuan, chairman of Horizon Group, said the results suggest the nation's achievements in the past decades and its rise - both economically and politically - have helped improve its image among expats and the Chinese.

Yu Lin, a 38-year-old Beijing taxi driver, said: "Many big events, such as the Beijing Olympic Games, have bolstered pride and confidence in our country."

Luee Sun, a purchase executive for departments stores, called China's rise "a great story" which has helped shift the center of gravity of many industries to China.

But Lu Mai, secretary general of CDRF, said some Chinese people are too optimistic, as the survey found that 22.1 percent of the Chinese think the country has risen. "Don't forget that more than 100 million people in China are still living below the poverty line," Lu said.

The survey showed that the most urgent task is to ensure social wealth is distributed more fairly, with 42.3 percent of the Chinese and 30.7 percent of expats of that view.

About 825,000 have more than 10 million yuan ($1.47 million) of wealth each; among them, 51,000 are worth more than 100 million yuan each, according to the Hurun report on China's wealthy.

The per capita disposable income of urban residents was 17,175 yuan in 2009, and the net per capita income of rural residents was 5,153 yuan, according to the National Bureau of Statistics.

The survey also found that the most severe social problems faced by China are employment, medical reform and housing prices.

On the international front, most of the respondents - both Chinese and expats - ranked the United States as the No 1 threat to China's development now and in the next decade, followed by Japan, Russia and the European Union.

But the US is also ranked first as the country most important both economically and politically to China now and in the next 10 years."

Here comes the pissing contest my god man @Renegade stop this fighting already. There is no need for it, it is an internal matter of Chinese society on which they were discussing, there was nothing to India in it, but thanks to you its an China vs India match now. Congratulations.

This very incident was mentioned in the book "The Secret World of China's Communist Rulers" by Richard McGregor to show the broken legal system in China & the power enjoyed by the Party bosses & members.

McGregor goes on to explain as to how the judiciary & the police function under the party & not independent of it. This encourages a system of nepotism & graft, so people with connections are beyond the law in China.

Also this goes to show, you don't know sht. The book you keep quoting from was published in May, and this incident happened in Oct.

Here comes the pissing contest my god man @Renegade stop this fighting already. There is no need for it, it is an internal matter of Chinese society on which they were discussing, there was nothing to India in it, but thanks to you its an China vs India match now. Congratulations.

Pal, you are like fighting a losing battle, this Renegade guy had a special obsession to negative things regarding China, check out his posts, 90% was related to China. Thanks for your neutral stand though.:cheers:

Also this goes to show, you don't know sht. The book you keep quoting from was published in May, and this incident happened in Oct.

why don't you read the book & find out, if the incident is mentioned in it or not? how can you say without reading it? but then again your past record goes against it.

i would recommend another book for your benefit:

"China: Fragile Superpower" by Susan Shirk, do read & find out **** your self.

why don't you read the book & find out, if the incident is mentioned in it or not? how can you say without reading it? but then again your past record goes against it.

Sigh... I know it's not mentioned because the author doesn't fvcking have a TIME MACHINE.

Why don't you worry more about your own country? Internationally, your country is ranked as being more corrupt than China. You have a lot more work to do.

"India was ranked 87th in Transparency International's 2010 ranking of nations based on the perceived level of corruption. India lies behind rival China, which is in 78th place."

PM readies court defence as pressure mounts - Reuters -

"PM readies court defence as pressure mounts
Published on Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 11:18 | Updated at Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 19:36 | Source : Reuters

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has turned to India's top legal official to represent him at the Supreme Court over why he failed to probe what could potentially emerge as one of the country's biggest corruption scams.

The last-minute change to have the attorney general represent the prime minister suggests increased concern within the ruling Congress party over a widening scandal that has touched both political and corporate India.

manmohansingh190.jpg

The Prime Minister's Office confirmed the change, but declined to give further information. Government sources told media Singh had done nothing wrong.

The 2G spectrum allocation scandal is the biggest challenge to Singh since he became prime minister in 2004, and how the next few days unfold will be key to his political survival.

Telecoms Minister Andimuthu Raja was sacked at the weekend after months of pressure from the opposition and media .

Raja is accused of selling telecoms licences too cheaply, potentially losing the state up to USD 31 billion in revenues, according to a government audit. Raja has denied the accusations.

Raja is a member of the DMK, a regional party from Tamil Nadu that helps give the Congress party a majority in parliament. The opposition has stalled parliament as it claims Singh failed to act because he feared upsetting his coalition partner.

Telecom shares suffered significant losses on Thursday on investor uncertainty, and the case has already led to opposition parties halting parliament proceedings, thereby threatening to freeze passage of key legislation or approving additional spending plans by the government.

On Tuesday, the Supreme Court took the rare step of publicly criticising Singh for "alleged inaction" in taking 16 months to decide if Raja should be charged and investigated, a blow to the image of a prime minister seen as one of the country's most honest politicians.

"Manmohan Singh has certainly squandered some moral capital over this spectrum scandal," said an editorial in The Indian Express on Friday.

"The image of integrity is arguably the biggest strength he has, and by letting this scam fester for so long, the prime minister and the Congress party have put that at risk."

Attorney General G.E. Vahanvati must file an affidavit on behalf of Singh by Saturday, according to a court request.

Vahanvati will then defend the prime minister in person at the Supreme Court on Tuesday, and he is expected to say Singh followed correct procedure. Singh, who has not commented on the court criticism, is not expected to attend.

The court wants to know why Singh remained silent on a plea by an opposition member of parliament to prosecute Raja. The court cannot punish Singh if it is found he failed to take action, but any criticism would be a blow to his credibility.

Tarnish image

Rahul Gandhi, a senior Congress member and seen as the prime minister-in-waiting, defended Singh, saying there was no reason for him to be embarrassed, according to media reports.

While Singh and his coalition government are likely to survive the scandal, the criticism has tarnished Singh's image and is expected to further weaken the federal government's ability to move key economic reforms through parliament.

A series of corruption scandals, infighting between coalition partners and a more assertive opposition have forced the government on the defensive in its second term of office.

Raja is the third senior government official to lose his job in recent weeks over allegations of corruption.

The opposition wants a parliamentary probe after a report from the government auditor said the state may have lost up to USD 31 billion in revenues, roughly equivalent to the defence budget, in the granting of licences in 2007-2008. The process also violated several rules, the report said.

India was ranked 87th in Transparency International's 2010 ranking of nations based on the perceived level of corruption. India lies behind rival China, which is in 78th place.
"

Back
Top Bottom