What's new

Sue me if you dare, my dad is Li Gang

CardSharp

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
This is outrageous....
On Tudou, a video called "This Is Reality" (事实就是这样) has been repeatedly deleted and uploaded: the father and brother of Chen Xiaofeng (陈晓凤), who died after being hit by a car driven by Li Qiming on the Hebei University campus, were interviewed by Wen Tao and Zhao Zhao for a video released by Ai Weiwei's team. You can also view this video on Youtube.

YouTube - ????????????? ??????

The beginning of the video runs an explanation:
On October 10, 2010, inside the gates of Hebei University in the city of Baoding in Hebei province, there was a case of drunk driving, killing one female student. The culprit of the incident Li Qiming (李启铭), shouted out: “My dad is Li Gang!”

On October 22, 2010, we interviewed Chen Guangqian (陈广谦), the father and Chen Lin (陈林), the brother of the decreased Chen Xiaofeng (陈晓凤) at the Hebei Baoding provincial guest house.

Li Gang is the deputy director of the PSB in Baoding's Beishi District (北市区). Although fellow video site Youku does not have the video, the site does have a page dedicated to the "Li Gang incident" which includes mention of the 70 kph incident from April 2010, which made the current incident more popular because of their similarities. Also on the page are various videos from TV that show Li Gang and his son Li Qiming apologizing on national TV. As they have been accused for putting on a 'show,' commenters on Ai Weiwei's video suggest that this one, with the parent and sibling of the deceased crying, should be broadcast on national TV too.

The interview starts with the father Chen Guangqian (陈广谦), and then the brother Chen Lin (陈林):

Chen Guangqian: My name is Chen Guangqian, I come from Nansi village in Xingjishi, Shijiazhuang city in Hebei province, My daughter is called Chen Xiaofeng, 20 years old, she grew up in the rural village.

Chen Lin: My name is Chen Li. I am 23 this year, I come from Nansi village in Xingjishi, Shijiazhuang city in Hebei province. My sister is called Chen Xiaofeng, she's 20 this year and born year of the horse; in 1990. She just got into university, she enrolled on September 2. On that day I went to Baoding to take care of some university business, when I came back I saw her once, and left the next day. The accident happened that night. Her classmate called the house. We couldn’t believe it.

Chen Guangqian: After the incident happened, [people from] the township called us at home. At the time I didn’t think it was so serious, I thought it was just a scratch, but after arriving at the emergency room, there wasn’t much hope left.

Chen Lin: When I hurried there, my sister was in the emergency room. I heard about the incident here and there.

Interviewer: Why the did the perpetrator say, “My dad is Li Gang?”

Chen Lin: Because he was showing off or it was just something that he did. It’s relying on the power of his family; he said it subconsciously. Lots of people are like this now, I think he’s using it as a kind of backup, I don’t think it was because he was afraid, it was just subconscious: this is who my family is are, you can’t do this and this to me.

Chen Guangqian: I don’t know what the inside story is, I know that he’s in certain circles, that he’ll have lots of connections within Baoding.

Interviewer: So are you afraid?

Chen Guangqian: I am… I am afraid.

Chen Lin: Didn’t he say that [his dad] is the deputy director of the PSB of Beishi District? Speaking as the weaker party, anyone higher up has more power.

Chen Guangqian: We don’t have any connections; we won’t be able to just find anyone we want. It’s also hard us to find evidence and information.

Chen Lin: A person who is alive, including my sister, what she was like as a person, I think I know best. We’re often bickering, but when something happens she would actively ask how I am doing, actively have my best interests in mind, as a younger sister she would constantly look after her elder brother. People in the village are also always say that she never needed her family to worry about her. When she changed primary schools, I remember this vividly, she changed schools herself. When she changed primary schools successfully, she only asked her family for textbook fees, but everything else she did herself. She has never let her family worry about her at all.

Chen Guangqian: I think it’s a big shame that this happened to my daughter. We met [with Li Gang etc] and they apologized sincerely, and told us to take care of ourselves. And said that no one wanted something like this to happen; their attitude was sincere.

Chen Lin: First of all, I don’t accept the apology. It’s not something that can be solved by an apology. And they hope for a negotiation, it’s not something that I want. It’s not as if that the State does what I tell them to. But there can be some justice in the verdict, I know though I don’t study the law. But I understand a little bit. First of all, the way of getting a verdict is different. Perhaps purely because of a traffic [accident] he might get seven years, but from another point of view, he should get the death sentence. In this process I won’t deny that I’ve thought about them using their abilities to change the verdict. If it was me, if this happened to my kid, then it’s a problem caused by my way of educating them or my family, including spoiling him … I am not opposed to spoiling in society, but when something bad does happen, then you should ask them to think about it, not lessen their pressure, not help them to escape, if they’re wrong they’re wrong. This is something caused by your family. In society they say everyone is equal, but in every corner there is inequality. I hope that experts from different fields will help argue the case, that it’s not just simply a traffic accident.

Chen Guangqian: This kind of thing shouldn’t happen in a university, this shouldn’t happen when it’s the activity time for the university, it’s a time when they’re doing exercise so I feel… very shocked. I think that the perpetrator was being very irresponsible about life, and does not care about the consequences for ordinary people and for students.

Chen Lin: Because we are ordinary people the country side, I hope to call on everyone in society, including those with the law, to come out and stand by our side. I believe in justice, and believe that they can give my sister Xiaofeng a reasonable explanation. Here I want to represent myself, and my sister, I believe we think alike, to call on society and everyone, with the help of the law, it’s not that I’m scared of how powerful the opposition is, but I need to get some kind of justification for my sister. I hope that the university, and her male and female elder classmates will come out and support their classmate who is younger than you.

Chen Guangqian: I hope we reach a satisfactory solution, and that something like this won’t happen again, and that students from all fields will come over and see her. To call on society for a safe environment for students to study at university.

Chen Lin: I hope that bodies that have power, or the Hebei University, which is administrative, will reflect on it, as myself and as someone like my sister, and as all students, not even having security in their own environment, their home, how can you live in this country and this society without any worry? I feel like there should be deep reflection on this. This is the reality, this is the reality…

Public anger over hit-and-run case reflects call for social justice
English.news.cn 2010-10-27 09:21:30 FeedbackPrintRSS

by Xinhua Writer Lu Qiuping

BEIJING, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- Perhaps the most famous father in China right now is Li Gang.

Li Gang is deputy chief of the public security bureau branch of a district under Baoding City in north China's Hebei Province. He was like any other father until recently when his son, Li Qiming, catapulted him into notoriety.

Li Qiming, 22, was alleged to have said, "Sue me if you dare. My father is Li Gang," after running his car into two students while he was under the influence of alcohol, on Oct. 16 at a university in Beishi District, which is under his father's administration. One of the victims later died despite emergency rescue efforts.

His comments have been widely publicized online and have provoked angry and mocking reactions from millions of Chinese citizens.

"No need to panic after any crime, as my father is Li Gang," posted a netizen in a contest that asked people to make sentences with the words "my father is Li Gang" at the microblog website of sina.com.cn.

"I never pay my telephone bills as my father is Li Gang," wrote another.

"Like father, like son. If the children of officials think that they are the privileged class, will future generations follow suit? After deviating from the basic tenet of following the Party's mass line, which is serving the people heart and soul, the question is where will China go from here?" asked a concerned Wu Zhongmin, a professor at the Party School of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC).

Arrogant driver deserves 'heaviest' punishment, says brother of victim

* Source: Global Times
* [03:02 October 27 2010]
* Comments

By Pan Yan

The brother of a female college student who was killed by a car driven by the son of a top local police official told the Global Times Tuesday that the suspect should get the death penalty, if it was possible.

"What he deserves is the death penalty, but I don't think that is going to happen according to Chinese law," said Chen Lin, 20, the victim's brother.

Chen said since the law does not allow such punishment, he and his family hope the driver receives the "heaviest" punishment possible for killing his sister, Chen Xiaofeng, on the campus of Hebei University.

During the interview, a sobbing Chen Lin said that the driver, son of the deputy director of the public security bureau in Baoding city's Beishi district, showed arrogance when he shouted that, "My father is Li Gang" just before campus security guards subdued him.

On October 16, Li Qiming, 22, was driving a black Volkswagen Magotan when he struck two female students and killed Chen Xiaofeng.

The incident sparked widespread public outrage especially because Li showed arrogance by suggesting that he was above the law at the scene, the Xinhua News Agency reported.

Asked about the arrogant words Li shouted at the accident site, Chen said it was not a surprise to him.

"It's common in China that the children of those rich and powerful are arrogant, and the parents should feel sorry about how they educated their children."

Chen said he and his uncle have been in Baoding for 10 days to handle the aftermath of her sister's death.

Despite his anger, Chen wants the case to be handled with fairness and transparency. He said his family are wor-ried that Li's father could use his connections to ask for less severe punishment for his son. Chen said that the suspect's parents visited them three times but they declined an offer to "settle" the case privately with financial compensation.

Considering his father position, the judicial authority in Baoding announced that Li's case was transferred to a nearby Wangdu county for further investigation, Xinhua reported. Prosecutors in that county would also handle the trial.

Chen Quanguo, governor of Hebei Province, said Tuesday at the provincial level conference that Li's case would be "handled in accordance to law," the Beijing News reported.

Xinhua Insight: Public anger over hit-and-run case reflects call for social justice

Updated: 2010-10-27 09:20:00
Comments(0) PrintMail
Large Medium Small

BEIJING, October 27 (Xinhua) -- Perhaps the most famous father in China right now is Li Gang.

Li Gang is deputy chief of the public security bureau branch of a district under Baoding City in north China's Hebei Province. He was like any other father until recently when his son, Li Qiming, catapulted him into notoriety.

Li Qiming, 22, was alleged to have said, "Sue me if you dare. My father is Li Gang," after running his car into two students while he was under the influence of alcohol, on October 16 at a university in Beishi District, which is under his father's administration. One of the victims later died despite emergency rescue efforts.

His comments have been widely publicized online and have provoked angry and mocking reactions from millions of Chinese citizens.

"No need to panic after any crime, as my father is Li Gang," posted a netizen in a contest that asked people to make sentences with the words "my father is Li Gang" at the microblog website of sina.com.cn.

"I never pay my telephone bills as my father is Li Gang," wrote another.

"Like father, like son. If the children of officials think that they are the privileged class, will future generations follow suit? After deviating from the basic tenet of following the Party's mass line, which is serving the people heart and soul, the question is where will China go from here?" asked a concerned Wu Zhongmin, a professor at the Party School of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC). CRIME DESERVES PUNISHMENT

According to the Public Security Bureau of Baoding City, Li Qiming allegedly struck two girls with his car, the victims surnamed Chen and Zhang, at around 9:40 p.m. on October 16, while driving under the influence of alcohol in Hebei University, and did not stop the car until he was intercepted by security guards and students on campus.

While witnesses remain uncertain over what Li Qiming actually said, the police have stressed that the investigations would focus on the intoxicated driving and hit-and-run crimes, not on what was said.

Li Qiming was arrested Sunday after the police conducted a preliminary investigation.

"I deeply regret what I did. It has brought great misery to the victims and their family. I feel very guilty," Li Qiming said in a media interview.

His father, Li Gang, also apologized and said he would not protect his son over the case.

"It's shameful that I have failed to educate him well as a father, and I definitely will not shield him," Li Gang said.

Given Li Gang's administrative position, the court hearing will be carried out in Baoding's Wangdu County, instead of Beishi District, for the sake of impartial justice, according to the police at the public security bureau of Baoding City.

"Party officials are always required to discipline their spouses, children and subordinates, no matter how important your post is or how busy you are," said a high-ranking CPC official. PRIVILEGE MINDSET

Analysts said the public anger triggered by the case reflected calls for more social democracy and justice.

"The social justice of China should be taken care of. The public's need for justice is not just about solving problems like income differences, but also related to social structure and social psychology," said Wu Zhongmin.

The hit-and-run scandal has revealed the "privilege" mindset that some public officials have passed on to their families, which should be paid immediate attention to, said Wu.

It also challenged the CPC's long-held idea, which was all for the masses and all relying on the masses, he said.

The Li Gang case was destructive in nature, and could sabotage the close relationship between the CPC and the people, said Wu.

"Government departments should make an internal inspection and correction if any trend like this exists," he added.

"The mass line is the fundamental principle that all CPC members should stick to and implement," said Xu Yaotong, a professor with the Chinese Academy of Governance.

"A close relationship with the people is an excellent tradition of the CPC, and also its most advanced political advantage," Xu said.

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/ebQHCm91K4o/

Last edited:
This is not only the case of China, in India we watch this kind of accidents, mostly Young Drunken drivers from Rich families..Ladies are also not an exception.The only difference is the Media covers these incidents but very few of them gets punishment..Political influences+Money+Alcohol = Devils Behind Wheels

A terrible case that should be punished in any country.

People who are actually named Li Gang have changed their names just because of the bad publicity associated with it. This case was handled professionally so far by transferring it out of Li Gang's jurisdiction but it remains to be seen if it's truly free from corruption. All too often the judiciary here is for rent and hire.

On Tudou, a video called "This Is Reality" (事实就是这样) has been repeatedly deleted and uploaded: the father and brother of Chen Xiaofeng (陈晓凤), who died after being hit by a car driven by Li Qiming on the Hebei University campus, were interviewed by Wen Tao and Zhao Zhao for a video released by Ai Weiwei's team. You can also view this video on Youtube.

YouTube - ????????????? ??????

The beginning of the video runs an explanation:

Li Gang is the deputy director of the PSB in Baoding's Beishi District (北市区). Although fellow video site Youku does not have the video, the site does have a page dedicated to the "Li Gang incident" which includes mention of the 70 kph incident from April 2010, which made the current incident more popular because of their similarities. Also on the page are various videos from TV that show Li Gang and his son Li Qiming apologizing on national TV. As they have been accused for putting on a 'show,' commenters on Ai Weiwei's video suggest that this one, with the parent and sibling of the deceased crying, should be broadcast on national TV too.

The interview starts with the father Chen Guangqian (陈广谦), and then the brother Chen Lin (陈林):

Chen Guangqian: My name is Chen Guangqian, I come from Nansi village in Xingjishi, Shijiazhuang city in Hebei province, My daughter is called Chen Xiaofeng, 20 years old, she grew up in the rural village.

Chen Lin: My name is Chen Li. I am 23 this year, I come from Nansi village in Xingjishi, Shijiazhuang city in Hebei province. My sister is called Chen Xiaofeng, she's 20 this year and born year of the horse; in 1990. She just got into university, she enrolled on September 2. On that day I went to Baoding to take care of some university business, when I came back I saw her once, and left the next day. The accident happened that night. Her classmate called the house. We couldn’t believe it.

Chen Guangqian: After the incident happened, [people from] the township called us at home. At the time I didn’t think it was so serious, I thought it was just a scratch, but after arriving at the emergency room, there wasn’t much hope left.

Chen Lin: When I hurried there, my sister was in the emergency room. I heard about the incident here and there.

Interviewer: Why the did the perpetrator say, “My dad is Li Gang?”

Chen Lin: Because he was showing off or it was just something that he did. It’s relying on the power of his family; he said it subconsciously. Lots of people are like this now, I think he’s using it as a kind of backup, I don’t think it was because he was afraid, it was just subconscious: this is who my family is are, you can’t do this and this to me.

Chen Guangqian: I don’t know what the inside story is, I know that he’s in certain circles, that he’ll have lots of connections within Baoding.

Interviewer: So are you afraid?

Chen Guangqian: I am… I am afraid.

Chen Lin: Didn’t he say that [his dad] is the deputy director of the PSB of Beishi District? Speaking as the weaker party, anyone higher up has more power.

Chen Guangqian: We don’t have any connections; we won’t be able to just find anyone we want. It’s also hard us to find evidence and information.

Chen Lin: A person who is alive, including my sister, what she was like as a person, I think I know best. We’re often bickering, but when something happens she would actively ask how I am doing, actively have my best interests in mind, as a younger sister she would constantly look after her elder brother. People in the village are also always say that she never needed her family to worry about her. When she changed primary schools, I remember this vividly, she changed schools herself. When she changed primary schools successfully, she only asked her family for textbook fees, but everything else she did herself. She has never let her family worry about her at all.

Chen Guangqian: I think it’s a big shame that this happened to my daughter. We met [with Li Gang etc] and they apologized sincerely, and told us to take care of ourselves. And said that no one wanted something like this to happen; their attitude was sincere.

Chen Lin: First of all, I don’t accept the apology. It’s not something that can be solved by an apology. And they hope for a negotiation, it’s not something that I want. It’s not as if that the State does what I tell them to. But there can be some justice in the verdict, I know though I don’t study the law. But I understand a little bit. First of all, the way of getting a verdict is different. Perhaps purely because of a traffic [accident] he might get seven years, but from another point of view, he should get the death sentence. In this process I won’t deny that I’ve thought about them using their abilities to change the verdict. If it was me, if this happened to my kid, then it’s a problem caused by my way of educating them or my family, including spoiling him … I am not opposed to spoiling in society, but when something bad does happen, then you should ask them to think about it, not lessen their pressure, not help them to escape, if they’re wrong they’re wrong. This is something caused by your family. In society they say everyone is equal, but in every corner there is inequality. I hope that experts from different fields will help argue the case, that it’s not just simply a traffic accident.

Chen Guangqian: This kind of thing shouldn’t happen in a university, this shouldn’t happen when it’s the activity time for the university, it’s a time when they’re doing exercise so I feel… very shocked. I think that the perpetrator was being very irresponsible about life, and does not care about the consequences for ordinary people and for students.

Chen Lin: Because we are ordinary people the country side, I hope to call on everyone in society, including those with the law, to come out and stand by our side. I believe in justice, and believe that they can give my sister Xiaofeng a reasonable explanation. Here I want to represent myself, and my sister, I believe we think alike, to call on society and everyone, with the help of the law, it’s not that I’m scared of how powerful the opposition is, but I need to get some kind of justification for my sister. I hope that the university, and her male and female elder classmates will come out and support their classmate who is younger than you.

Chen Guangqian: I hope we reach a satisfactory solution, and that something like this won’t happen again, and that students from all fields will come over and see her. To call on society for a safe environment for students to study at university.

Chen Lin: I hope that bodies that have power, or the Hebei University, which is administrative, will reflect on it, as myself and as someone like my sister, and as all students, not even having security in their own environment, their home, how can you live in this country and this society without any worry? I feel like there should be deep reflection on this. This is the reality, this is the reality…

This very incident was mentioned in the book "The Secret World of China's Communist Rulers" by Richard McGregor to show the broken legal system in China & the power enjoyed by the Party bosses & members.

McGregor goes on to explain as to how the judiciary & the police function under the party & not independent of it. This encourages a system of nepotism & graft, so people with connections are beyond the law in China.

Too bad for Li Qiming, he'll probably be punished very heavily to set an example. Also, this isn't the west, the court is not gonna have final sentencing 10 years later after everybody's already forgotten about this, and it won't matter what any lawyers do. Good riddance.

This very incident was mentioned in the book "The Secret World of China's Communist Rulers" by Richard McGregor to show the broken legal system in China & the power enjoyed by the Party bosses & members.

McGregor goes on to explain as to how the judiciary & the police function under the party & not independent of it. This encourages a system of nepotism & graft, so people with connections are beyond the law in China.

much like what ASP007 said about the situation in India where well connected and rich people can buy justice, but Mr. McGregor isn't writing books about it. McGregor's book is just a China-bashing propaganda piece, not serious scholarship.

much like what ASP007 said about the situation in India where well connected and rich people can buy justice, but Mr. McGregor isn't writing books about it. McGregor's book is just a China-bashing propaganda piece, not serious scholarship.

I somehow knew that this was coming. Why do you have to get defensive when such instances come out in the open?

Nevertheless such instances do happen in India too, but we have an open & free media and an independent judiciary (not trying to brag), unlike in China.

By the way, at some level i am a bit envious that Richard McGregor wrote about China and not India. I would very much like him to view India with the same microscope that he has view China with and bring out deficiencies further out in the open. The attention that it will generate will help us fix our system. The media in India is already doing a rather good job about it but the more we can expose the better for us.

As for your attitude about labeling his work as "China-bashing propaganda piece", reminds me of the cultural revolution, when mere suspicion was enough to humiliate & prosecute a person. Many lives & families were wrecked by it; for i had thought that people would have learned something from such a catastrophe.

Ya i know you are going to get back with some muck about India. I have heard enough about poverty & toilets, i suggest you try something new for it will help massage your ego. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom