What's new

SUBMARINE PURCHASE: Dhaka finalises deals with Beijing

Haha these subs will be used for training as well as ego stroking.

There was a lot of rumor and hope that BD was going for song class(it was frequently mentioned along with ming), but alas we had to settle for this.

As far as i know(i might be wrong) there was no official interest by BD navy for any modern submarines. The other country they courted was italy for sauro class sub which is quite old as well(deal fell through though).

If there was someone from the government getting bribes for buying these vessels they could have atleast bought a more modern sub.

Bangladesh to tell you the truth is rather too poor at this particular moment. The current per capita of under 1000 is not acceptable. Maybe in about 10 years, you can double your per capita and then take a look at license build a few newer models at Bangladesh.

I been hearing a ton about China moving clothing factories to Bangladesh, your economy may explode, soon.

These subs are not great, but they are effective enough against most navies, Bangladesh isn't going to engage any super power or great powers anytime soon are you?

So for your intended "enemies" they are good enough.

Haha these subs will be used for training as well as ego stroking.

There was a lot of rumor and hope that BD was going for song class(it was frequently mentioned along with ming), but alas we had to settle for this.

As far as i know(i might be wrong) there was no official interest by BD navy for any modern submarines. The other country they courted was italy for sauro class sub which is quite old as well(deal fell through though).

If there was someone from the government getting bribes for buying these vessels they could have atleast bought a more modern sub.

I think BD should go for smaller but capable diesel subs..something like Gotland,A-26 or something likewise,which are small,low cost to operate yet deadly and capable.they don't need mammoth like Augosta to start with.something like Archer class of Singapore will be great(which are actually old gotland subs)

Bangladesh to tell you the truth is rather too poor at this particular moment. The current per capita of under 1000 is not acceptable. Maybe in about 10 years, you can double your per capita and then take a look at license build a few newer models at Bangladesh.

I been hearing a ton about China moving clothing factories to Bangladesh, your economy may explode, soon.

These subs are not great, but they are effective enough against most navies, Bangladesh isn't going to engage any super power or great powers anytime soon are you?

So for your intended "enemies" they are good enough.
Yes we are a poor country, therefore we have to spend our money wisely, for a few extra million we could have gotten a song class, which would have served us for a longer period of time.

We dont want to take on anyone, we just want deterrence. Nobody will be deterred much by this vessel.

He seems to be traumatised by the sindhurakshak episode:)

On topic, for a 100 mil a piece that's a great deal....

You must also take into consideration the maintenance cost and spare parts. There might be a shortage of spare parts.

Y

We dont want to take on anyone, we just want deterrence. Nobody will be deterred much by this vessel.

These subs will give ZERO deterrence, that is the issue. This is purely done to tie up funds so that REAL future capability can not be built. Besides, there is large scale looting involved with Awami League purchase.

These subs will give ZERO deterrence, that is the issue. This is purely done to tie up funds so that REAL future capability can not be built. Besides, there is large scale looting involved with Awami League purchase.

I have to agree with your opinion regarding this purchase.

Is Pakistan licenced to build and sell AIP Augostas to a third country? What benefit would Bangladesh would get from buying it from Pakistan instead of France?

Pakistan received a great deal of TOT for Augostas. Any sales by Pakistan has to be approved by France with AIP module provided by MESMA .

France doesn't build Augostas anymore, as they are focusing on Dolphins and the planned U-214 rival called Marlin which they are trying very hard to sell to Pakistan Nav

If BD bought Augostas the'd be built in Karachi. We could provide the servicing, help them fully in training the staff and post sale care can be provided. We could help them put the sub in the field in record time as our Augostas can train their staff in the meanwhile.

Lastly they could integrate our cruise missiles on it, if they desire too.

For fishing?

Banned from the thread.

Last edited:
Pakistan received a great deal of TOT for Augostas. Any sales by Pakistan has to be approved by France with AIP module provided by MESMA .

France doesn't build Augostas anymore, as they are focusing on Dolphins and the planned U-214 rival called Marlin which they are trying very hard to sell to Pakistan Nav

If BD bought Augostas the'd be built in Karachi. We could provide the servicing, help them fully in training the staff and post sale care can be provided. We could help them put the sub in the field in record time as our Augostas can train their staff in the meanwhile.

Lastly they could integrate our cruise missiles on it, if they desire too.

Fair enough. And you mean Scorpene surely and not Dolphins?

Do you think Karachi Shipyard still has all the set up in place for the construction of Augosta, given that the last Augosta was commissioned in 2006?

Fair enough. And you mean Scorpene surely and not Dolphins?

Do you think Karachi Shipyard still has all the set up in place for the construction of Augosta, given that the last Augosta was commissioned in 2006?

Yes, sorry the scorpeone subs.

In fact we pitched Augostas for sale very recently at IDEX-2013 in Dubai. Considering that, the infrastructure is in place or can be restarted if a customer is found.

Our Augosta-70s will be retired in the near future, when we have new subs in our fleet. They too have AIP, and can be a good option for BD navy for training its staff. They'll be given out either as a gift or at very little cost.

BD navy should have asked us to build AIP augostas for them. Or should have ordered newer subs from China with AIP.

Aren't the Agostas a French design whose rights are held by DCNS? BD probably has to negotiate with France if needs any submarines of the Khalid class.

Isn't the range of Babur-N 700km ??

I can't say anything for sure yet. The GLLACM variant has a range of ~ 750kms.

Aren't the Agostas a French design whose rights are held by DCNS? BD probably has to negotiate with France if needs any submarines of the Khalid class.

Yes as i have mentioned earlier.

I can't say anything for sure yet. The GLLACM variant has a range of ~ 750kms.

That's why asked .

Any more than 300km means you will not be able to sell it to B'desh .

Back
Top Bottom