What's new

SUBMARINE PURCHASE: Dhaka finalises deals with Beijing

I thought this thread was all about BN sub purchase!!

well, what I'm not getting clear about is that if we're getting old Ming-class subs, there's no point in getting them by 2019, which is still 5+ years from now!!.... so, either the reported date is wrong, or the report of second-hand subs is wrong....

@aliaselin ..... any ideas?

5+ years mean 5 years of training. I think we'd better find some materials to compare the training period of similar cases, such as French to Malaysia, if the Malaysia guys are also trained for 4~5 years, it means submarine is much harder to handle than a ship, even for some basic things need 5 years to learn; if only 1~2 years, it means we have managed a full course for you, and treat your guys just as our owns. With this full training, your guys will become combat-worthy troops while not simple start a submarine to patrol and show off.

he he he.............if bangladeshis wanted to sink to the ocean floor, they could have jumped of a boat in the middle of the bay of bengal, why did they spent that much money on chinese subs

Contribute something useful please instead of empty words.

Atleast the Navy will now where there submarines are and doesnot require fishermen to inform us where are our subs . That is the real force multiplier for great chinese navy .

One more question , heard a submarines of yours was damaged by the missile fired from it falling back into itself , Has the repair completed .

How does a media blackout have anything to do with a submarine's capabilities? Similarly, if the Indian media does not report a MiG-21 "Flying Coffin" crash, does that mean IAF can't track its own planes? Correlation does not imply causation in the case. Please think before posting.

Last edited:
How does a media blackout have anything to do with a submarine's capabilities? Similarly, if the Indian media does not report a MiG-21 "Flying Coffin" crash, does that mean IAF can't track its own planes? Correlation does not imply causation in the case. Please think before posting.

We are not talking about media black-out . We are talking about this .

On April 16, 2003, all 70 crew members of the submarine were killed when the diesel engine failed to shut down when the boat submerged and used up all the oxygen in the boat.

According to Xinhua on May 2, 2003, the crippled boat was discovered by Chinese fishermen on April 25, 2003, when they noticed the periscope sticking out.

PS : I had no intention to bring china into this but the chinese trolls bringing the Indian submarine accident was merely replied .

What a stupid purchase:crazy:

By the time the submarines come into service by 2019 the design will be 6 decades old!

We are not talking about media black-out . We are talking about this .

On April 16, 2003, all 70 crew members of the submarine were killed when the diesel engine failed to shut down when the boat submerged and used up all the oxygen in the boat.

According to Xinhua on May 2, 2003, the crippled boat was discovered by Chinese fishermen on April 25, 2003, when they noticed the periscope sticking out.

PS : I had no intention to bring china into this but the chinese trolls bringing the Indian submarine accident was merely replied .

You do realize that submarines cut off all communications during silent training, right? There is no way to contact the submarine when it is training to slip past enemy detectors.

Well i m just gonna say Congrats to BD navy on the purchase.....hey we all start somewhere right.

Though better for BN was to give Pakistan the contract to buy 3 Agosta-90B with AIP on board in year 2005. Also PN could easily trained their engineers in submarine building as well as in maintaining it.

Also PN would gain a chance to produce more for itself too also for other countries who are interested in it.

Although they are now buying from China. They can also make a contract with China to do JV rather than buying it.

Like JV in Submarines:
Rescue Submarines
110 Special Force Submarine
700 Tons
1600 Tons

Although they are buying it then they should involve their own engineers in production and also ask local production as well...

5+ years mean 5 years of training. I think we'd better find some materials to compare the training period of similar cases, such as French to Malaysia, if the Malaysia guys are also trained for 4~5 years, it means submarine is much harder to handle than a ship, even for some basic things need 5 years to learn; if only 1~2 years, it means we have managed a full course for you, and treat your guys just as our owns. With this full training, your guys will become combat-worthy troops while not simple start a submarine to patrol and show off.

thanks for the explanation..... well, that training period explains some of it, but not all of it.... our navy guys are being trained in more than one country in submarine warfare for quite a few years now.... and if I'm not wrong these two subs would be for training purpose more than anything else.... so, being battle-ready shouldn't be a huge concern.... and another question - after another five years, what would be age of the Ming subs in Chinese inventory?.... as far as I know, subs don't have the life of surface ships....

You do realize that submarines cut off all communications during silent training, right? There is no way to contact the submarine when it is training to slip past enemy detectors.

You do realise that I was counter-trolling a troll from your country .

thanks for the explanation..... well, that training period explains some of it, but not all of it.... our navy guys are being trained in more than one country in submarine warfare for quite a few years now.... and if I'm not wrong these two subs would be for training purpose more than anything else.... so, being battle-ready shouldn't be a huge concern.... and another question - after another five years, what would be age of the Ming subs in Chinese inventory?.... as far as I know, subs don't have the life of surface ships....

It depends on which two you choose, from 19-27 years at that time. I don't think subs life time is shorter than a surface ships, as the some Kilo used by Algeria navy is 26 years old now.

I don't know why there are so many BD guys are so disappointed with the news, as news from BD has said the total budgets for BD submarine program is 10,000 million dollars. So you guys still have 800 million dollars to buy new submarine. Moreover, type 035G is an outdated design, but the combat system has been renewed to be the same as type 039B, and some of them even with AIP. These two are good training platform for any modern submarine at least, and there is no place for the Myanmar navy to counter it.

Last edited:
It depends on which two you choose, from 19-27 years at that time. I don't think subs life time is shorter than a surface ships, as the some Kilo used by Algeria navy is 26 years old now.

I don't know why there are so many BD guys are so disappointed with the news, as news from BD has said the total budgets for BD submarine program is 100 million dollars. So you guys still have 80 million dollars to buy new submarine. Moreover, type 035G is an outdated design, but the combat system has been renewed to be the same as type 039B, and some of them even with AIP. These two are good training platform for any modern submarine at least, and there is no place for the Myanmar navy to counter it.

I think you meant total budget 1,000 million dollars and so 800 million dollars left over.

What puzzles us is that the submarines will not be delivered by 2019!

If BD got these two submarines by 2015 and a contract was signed for 2-3 modern submarines then that would be more logical.

I do not see why BD would buy Type-035G submarines for training purposes, when it would have made more sense to lease for say 5 years and then hand back to China when the modern submarines were procured.

I think you meant total budget 1,000 million dollars and so 800 million dollars left over.

What puzzles us is that the submarines will not be delivered by 2019!

If BD got these two submarines by 2015 and a contract was signed for 2-3 modern submarines then that would be more logical.

I do not see why BD would buy Type-035G submarines for training purposes, when it would have made more sense to lease for say 5 years and then hand back to China when the modern submarines were procured.
Correct it...

Yeah,a recent rumor from Chinese forum said originally your government showed more interest in S20, and have talked with CSIC for several times, but finally they choose two Type 035G. Maybe still it is the budget issue.

he he he.............if bangladeshis wanted to sink to the ocean floor, they could have jumped of a boat in the middle of the bay of bengal, why did they spent that much money on chinese subs
We thought about purchasing Indian subs....but then we thought it is better to sink slowly than to explode spontaneously!

We thought about purchasing Indian subs....but then we thought it is better to sink slowly than to explode spontaneously!
the submarine that exploded was russian not indian, we have started with building nuclear submarines(arihant) not vintage diesel-electric subs, and u will not be getting that, be contented with old chinese junk

Back
Top Bottom