What's new

Stephen Hawking warns artificial intelligence could end mankind

Dem!god

Reaction score
Country
India
Prof Stephen Hawking, one of Britain's pre-eminent scientists, has said that efforts to create thinking machines pose a threat to our very existence.

He told the BBC:"The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race."

His warning came in response to a question about a revamp of the technology he uses to communicate, which involves a basic form of AI.

But others are less gloomy about AI's prospects.

The theoretical physicist, who has the motor neurone disease amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), is using a new system developed by Intel to speak.

Machine learning experts from the British company Swiftkey were also involved in its creation. Their technology, already employed as a smartphone keyboard app, learns how the professor thinks and suggests the words he might want to use next.

Prof Hawking says the primitive forms of artificial intelligence developed so far have already proved very useful, but he fears the consequences of creating something that can match or surpass humans.

_79449274_0c614739-5e9b-4b52-83b3-d04482305a69.jpg
Stanley Kubrick's film 2001 and its murderous computer HAL encapsulate many people's fears of how AI could pose a threat to human life
"It would take off on its own, and re-design itself at an ever increasing rate," he said.

But others are less pessimistic.

"I believe we will remain in charge of the technology for a decently long time and the potential of it to solve many of the world problems will be realised," said Rollo Carpenter, creator of Cleverbot.

Cleverbot's software learns from its past conversations, and has gained high scores in the Turing test, fooling a high proportion of people into believing they are talking to a human.

Rise of the robots
Mr Carpenter says we are a long way from having the computing power or developing the algorithms needed to achieve full artificial intelligence, but believes it will come in the next few decades.

"We cannot quite know what will happen if a machine exceeds our own intelligence, so we can't know if we'll be infinitely helped by it, or ignored by it and sidelined, or conceivably destroyed by it," he says.

But he is betting that AI is going to be a positive force.

Prof Hawking is not alone in fearing for the future.

In the short term, there are concerns that clever machines capable of undertaking tasks done by humans until now will swiftly destroy millions of jobs.

_79442022_a0de6fec-7e79-47f9-8f62-29d29c5cb383.jpg
Elon Musk, chief executive of rocket-maker Space X, also fears artificial intelligence
In the longer term, the technology entrepreneur Elon Musk has warned that AI is "our biggest existential threat".

Robotic voice
In his BBC interview, Prof Hawking also talks of the benefits and dangers of the internet.

He quotes the director of GCHQ's warning about the net becoming the command centre for terrorists: "More must be done by the internet companies to counter the threat, but the difficulty is to do this without sacrificing freedom and privacy."

He has, however, been an enthusiastic early adopter of all kinds of communication technologies and is looking forward to being able to write much faster with his new system.

_79449280_2235a469-088b-4162-9026-3ba124d291cb.jpg
Prof Hawking is using new software to speak, but has opted to keep the same voice
But one aspect of his own tech - his computer generated voice - has not changed in the latest update.

Prof Hawking concedes that it's slightly robotic, but insists he didn't want a more natural voice.

"It has become my trademark, and I wouldn't change it for a more natural voice with a British accent," he said.

"I'm told that children who need a computer voice, want one like mine."

Prof Stephen Hawking, one of Britain's pre-eminent scientists, has said that efforts to create thinking machines pose a threat to our very existence.

He told the BBC:"The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race."

His warning came in response to a question about a revamp of the technology he uses to communicate, which involves a basic form of AI.

But others are less gloomy about AI's prospects.

The theoretical physicist, who has the motor neurone disease amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), is using a new system developed by Intel to speak.

Machine learning experts from the British company Swiftkey were also involved in its creation. Their technology, already employed as a smartphone keyboard app, learns how the professor thinks and suggests the words he might want to use next.

Prof Hawking says the primitive forms of artificial intelligence developed so far have already proved very useful, but he fears the consequences of creating something that can match or surpass humans.

_79449274_0c614739-5e9b-4b52-83b3-d04482305a69.jpg
Stanley Kubrick's film 2001 and its murderous computer HAL encapsulate many people's fears of how AI could pose a threat to human life
"It would take off on its own, and re-design itself at an ever increasing rate," he said.

But others are less pessimistic.

"I believe we will remain in charge of the technology for a decently long time and the potential of it to solve many of the world problems will be realised," said Rollo Carpenter, creator of Cleverbot.

Cleverbot's software learns from its past conversations, and has gained high scores in the Turing test, fooling a high proportion of people into believing they are talking to a human.

Rise of the robots
Mr Carpenter says we are a long way from having the computing power or developing the algorithms needed to achieve full artificial intelligence, but believes it will come in the next few decades.

"We cannot quite know what will happen if a machine exceeds our own intelligence, so we can't know if we'll be infinitely helped by it, or ignored by it and sidelined, or conceivably destroyed by it," he says.

But he is betting that AI is going to be a positive force.

Prof Hawking is not alone in fearing for the future.

In the short term, there are concerns that clever machines capable of undertaking tasks done by humans until now will swiftly destroy millions of jobs.

_79442022_a0de6fec-7e79-47f9-8f62-29d29c5cb383.jpg
Elon Musk, chief executive of rocket-maker Space X, also fears artificial intelligence
In the longer term, the technology entrepreneur Elon Musk has warned that AI is "our biggest existential threat".

Robotic voice
In his BBC interview, Prof Hawking also talks of the benefits and dangers of the internet.

He quotes the director of GCHQ's warning about the net becoming the command centre for terrorists: "More must be done by the internet companies to counter the threat, but the difficulty is to do this without sacrificing freedom and privacy."

He has, however, been an enthusiastic early adopter of all kinds of communication technologies and is looking forward to being able to write much faster with his new system.

_79449280_2235a469-088b-4162-9026-3ba124d291cb.jpg
Prof Hawking is using new software to speak, but has opted to keep the same voice
But one aspect of his own tech - his computer generated voice - has not changed in the latest update.

Prof Hawking concedes that it's slightly robotic, but insists he didn't want a more natural voice.

"It has become my trademark, and I wouldn't change it for a more natural voice with a British accent," he said.

"I'm told that children who need a computer voice, want one like mine."
--
the question is,
will evolution of Man -homo sapiens will lag behind the development of AI..
some times student learn tricks quickly than master..
provided mastet still hold one single masterstroke for self defence left

--
the question is,
ofcouse homo sapiens evolution will lag behind. from the time 1st modern human appeared, ie half million years back, we have not evolved in any way. we have remained same. And look at the machine age evolution in last 200 years from bullock cart we have reached moon, mars and out of solar system.
biological adaptation and evolution take a lot of time, millions of year, but for machines its matter of resources only.

What if his own computer takes over him?

ofcouse homo sapiens evolution will lag behind. from the time 1st modern human appeared, ie half million years back, we have not evolved in any way. we have remained same. And look at the machine age evolution in last 200 years from bullock cart we have reached moon, mars and out of solar system.
biological adaptation and evolution take a lot of time, millions of year, but for machines its matter of resources only.
--
i disagree..
see how sapien shihfted there work from physical to mental .
human brain still store .analyse more data than super cimputer..
still its a mystry to best of human mind and super computers which tried to design on human brain ,,
yes AI is developing fast but brain still hold more to explore

What if his own computer takes over him?
You mean literally or figuratively?.....like I use my computer almost 17/18 hrs per day and you can say that the virtual life has 'taken over' my real/social life......but if you meant it literally then see the post below....

--
the question is,
How can something you make, be more intelligent than you? Speaking in terms of pure machine/electronics, it cannot, because the logic/reasoning you're putting into it in the form of programming, is what you can think of as well.....

Your Master-Student analogy is not proper because they both are humans, so the student's intelligence in not artificial, he is part of the human race and due to evolution, the student, or for that matter the next generation, will be always be more intelligent than the previous(in general).....

But, if humans play with/tries to imitate nature, i.e say, tinkers with genes to create more able/intelligent beings and finds some way to incorporate it in machines/robots as well then there could be a problem, also, things/beings like 'Cyborg' could be a problem to normal humans as well.....

Last edited:
You mean literally or figuratively?.....like I use my computer almost 17/18 hrs per day and you can say that the virtual life has 'taken over' my real/social life......but if you meant it literally then see the post below....

How can something you make, be more intelligent than you? Speaking in terms of pure machine/electronics, it cannot, because the logic/reasoning you're putting into it in the form of programming, is what you can think of as well.....

Your Master-Student analogy is not proper because they both are humans, so the student's intelligence in not artificial and he is part of the human race and due to evolution, the student, or for that matter the next generation, will be always be more intelligent than the previous(in general).....

But, if humans play with/tries to imitate nature, i.e say, tinkers with genes to create more able/intelligent beings and finds some way to incorporate it in machines/robots as well then there could be a problem, also, things/beings like 'Cyborg' could be a problem to normal humans as well.....
---
1st para..
human made calcullators and scientifc calculatrs which more efficenit and accurate and time saving
so you can make things more intellgent / effeicnt than you

2nd para
Intelligence is matter of traing..
exa, magnus karlson.. trained with best of chess mind and now see his ranking and achivement
he coach by kasprov but plays very diffrent game than kasprov and his fellow used to do
yes next generation is better than previous
but what make previous generation deadly is experience ...
see how vishy anand came back even though he lost by margin but gave reason that he will come again..

he became the youngest chess player in history to be ranked world No. 1. On the January 2013 FIDE rating list, Carlsen reached an Elo rating of 2861, at that time the highest in history
Carlsen was known for his attacking style as a teenager and later developed into a more universal player. He does not focus on opening preparation as much as other top players and plays a variety of openings, making it harder for opponents to prepare against him. His positional mastery and endgame prowess have drawn comparisons to those of former world champions José Raúl Capablanca, Vasily Smyslov, and Anatoly Karpov.

Garry Kasparov, who coached Carlsen from 2009 to 2010, said that Carlsen has a positional style similar to that of past world champions such as Anatoly Karpov, José Raúl Capablanca, and Vasily Smyslov, rather than the tactical style of Alexander Alekhine, Mikhail Tal, and himself.

3rd para
all human learn and gizmo is copy of nature
plane.. hollow structure like bird
submarine /ship .. fish..
bullet train.. aerodymics..
Sun.. nuclear
so human trying to learn and copy it .. since begining..

Hardly possible in the near future. Difference between humans and computers is that computers cant think. Humans do the thinking and develop a procedure that solves the problem then feed it to the computer. Computer follows the procedure exactly as specified and gets the results. Computers cant solve problems on their own.
We have only started to teach computers how to think. It will take a lot of time for them to get as smart as us. Consider the problem of sorting. If we are to arrange something like numbers in ascending order how will we do it ? Most likely we will recall how we used to make queues in school assemblies. Children would stand in order of increasing heights. Taller kids used to go at the back, smaller kids came to the front. Similarly, when sorting numbers, we would send larger numbers at the end and bring smaller numbers to the front. While doing so we will bring segments of our list of numbers in order like we will focus on the beginning, middle and end of our list and ensure that they are in order. Hence our whole list will be sorted.
But how will a machine do this. It has no experience of standing in school assemblies. When we bring a file of children in ascending order, we have a picture in mind, about how it will look like and we try to create that pattern in physical world. Computers cant do this. It will take a lot of time for machines to be able to do this i.e form a mental picture of the solution and aim to achieve that.

Back
Top Bottom