Dubious

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Dawn.com
December 11, 2018

5c0f8d7ac18aa.jpg

Minister of State for Revenue Hammad Azhar says foreign visitors will be able to register one handset without having to pay duty charges. — File photo

Minister of State for Revenue Hammad Azhar on Tuesday announced the 'mobile tax policy' for foreign visitors after the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) released details of duties imposed on imported handsets.

In a series of tweets, Azhar said that people flying into Pakistan will be allowed to register one handset without having to pay duty charges. Furthermore, foreign visitors will not have to register or pay duty charges on mobile devices that fulfil the following conditions:

• Cellphones that use a roaming network

• Will be used in Pakistan for less than 30 days

• Phones that have been used in Pakistan before Dec 1, 2018

Hammad Azhar@Hammad_Azhar

For benefit of people travelling into Pak from abroad, the mobile tax policy for you is:
1) One phone allowed to be registered as duty free 2) No Registration/Duty needed on any phone(s) using roaming 3) No Reg/Duty needed if phone(s) to be used in Pak for less than 30 days.

9:16 AM - Dec 11, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy
805 people are talking about this

Visitors can pay duty charges and register their handsets at the airports or in any custom house across the country, Azhar said. He also clarified that mobile phones will not be confiscated during the process of registration.

In order to curb illegal imports of handsets, the FBR and Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) have laid out new procedures for regularisation of unregistered mobile devices.

Users of illegally imported mobile devices have until Dec 31 to get their phones regularised with the PTA, without having to pay penalty charges. The body also clarified that after the deadline of Dec 31, no option would be available to regularise illegal mobile devices. All such devices will be liable for seizure/outright confiscation. In addition, all such devices will be permanently blocked through Devices Identification, Registration and Blocking System (DIRBS) by the PTA.

The customs procedures for imports of non-commercial mobile phones will be implemented through customs notification SRO1455 of 2018 and Customs General Order 06 of 2018 issued on Nov 30.

Import through couriers
The FBR has also notified new procedures for import of unregistered mobile devices by individuals through postal service or courier for personal use or gift.

The customs authorities will detain such imported phones and then issue a stamped declaration form to the applicant, who will have to apply for certification of compliance (CoC) via PTA portal by submitting documents.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1450813/state-minister-tweets-mobile-tax-policy-for-foreign-visitors

I wonder if it also mean these devices registered in the airport will be free from certificate of compliance requirements.

If they aren't, I imagine it will be a royal torture for people involved if their particular phone model is not sold in Pakistan, and not been issued a CoC. For example, international version of Samsung Galaxy line have different chipsets from one sold in South Asian countries (Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Cambodia)

I wonder if it also mean these devices registered in the airport will be free from certificate of compliance requirements.

If they aren't, I imagine it will be a royal torture for people involved if their particular phone model is not sold in Pakistan, and not been issued a CoC. For example, international version of Samsung Galaxy line have different chipsets from one sold in South Asian countries (Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Cambodia)
My guess is it is benefit for investors as it is for usage of less than 30 days
For benefit of people travelling into Pak from abroad, the mobile tax policy for you is:
1) One phone allowed to be registered as duty free 2) No Registration/Duty needed on any phone(s) using roaming 3) No Reg/Duty needed if phone(s) to be used in Pak for less than 30 days

Good move. They really then need to move toward bringing in foreign mobile manufacturer to set up a plant in Islamabad area as part pf CPEC or maybe even the Rashakai SEZ to supply mobile demand in PK. A market of 200 million should ensure it is win win for all.

Benifit goes to mobile companies who import mobile and surely they raised there prices when they have MONOPOLY in market.This Move good when Mobile manufacturing start in Pakistan then our people direct get benift from this move.

why? they would have paid taxes in other country when buying. if you have a duty free allowance makes no sense if you are within.

but here is the issue - if corrupt officials are on the customs; it will cause another channel for them to rip off the public.

Idiotic decision
friend, i can tell u what happens here. we have many of your country men - mostly youngsters; they have created an industry in stolen phones; they would take in a carry on bag close to sometimes 200 phones when going back to Pak; at Johannesburg airport; they are now getting pulled aside but before they were getting away with it.
I am sure enterpreneurs are who they are targetting. not sure but stating what we know is a common problem here with these pak youngsters.

why? they would have paid taxes in other country when buying. if you have a duty free allowance makes no sense if you are within.

but here is the issue - if corrupt officials are on the customs; it will cause another channel for them to rip off the public.

Thankfully it will not depend on custom officials. Mobiles will be blocked by IMEI and not usable if not registered with PTA with in 1 month.

Thankfully it will not depend on custom officials. Mobiles will be blocked by IMEI and not usable if not registered with PTA with in 1 month.

yes, right now that is what has curbed the stolen market here has been the blocking of IMEIs.

Thank you sir for enlighting me . Now i get it
friend, i can tell u what happens here. we have many of your country men - mostly youngsters; they have created an industry in stolen phones; they would take in a carry on bag close to sometimes 200 phones when going back to Pak; at Johannesburg airport; they are now getting pulled aside but before they were getting away with it.
I am sure enterpreneurs are who they are targetting. not sure but stating what we know is a common problem here with these pak youngsters.

So what the ever resourceful Pakistanis will do is buy a cheap set to register, and then clone the IMEI onto a more desired upgraded phone.

Back
Top Bottom